This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney Gallery to be closed in favor of a west-coast "Cinderella Suite"

I just got word from some very good sources that the Disney Gallery in New Orleans Square is going to be shuttered very soon to be made into a "Cindarella Suite" for the west coast (for the Year of a Million Dreams promo - which appears to be on track for a second run in 2008). Personally, I think this is a poor idea. The MM Penthouse serves that function just fine (even though it is not in-park) and I see no reason to gut the historical Gallery (that has been open for over 20 years and was once fancied by Walt himself as his "Royal Suite" in the park). As with all things corporate - if the money is mobilized to do this conversion, I fear the old gallery as we know it will never resurface as it is unlikely that the funds needed to "un-convert" it will be provided once the promo is over (ala the Walt Disney Story - that saga is still ongoing). I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this as it strikes me as being in bad taste. I rather enjoy my occasional treks up to the New Orleans balcony (and yes, this conversion will render the Fantasmic Balcony concept obsolete completely) during the day and out onto "Lillian's patio" (the interior patio) for a little R&R. Change, it seems, appears to be regrettably unavoidable...apparently even in some of the most "sacred" corners of the park.
    Last edited by AP2CM; 07-01-2007, 09:39 AM.
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

Re: Disney Gallery to be closed in favor of a west-coast "Cinderella Suite"

On the face of it, I agree with you AP2CM. I am not one of those who has just blithely slammed the YOAMD at every turn. But I do not like the whole "Disney Parks" homogenization concept that seems to be a part of it.

The Cinderella Suite concept works better in Florida because they have "Cinderella's Castle" in their MK. As you have said, the Mickey Suite at the Disneyland Hotel works fine here...and unless they plan on making it the "Johnny Depp Dream Suite"...placing it in New Orleans Square over Pirates makes no sense.

And I, too, love the gallery and don't want it to go.

As of now, at least, I've got to say I don't like the concept.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I think that is highly unlikely. First, it's in much too public a spot, the space isn't set up to be used in that sense and Disney makes far too much money off the Fantasmic Balcony tickets to stop using it for that purpose.

Actually, they're currently putting in an elevator to make the space handicap accessible, which makes me think they're trying to get more people up there!

Comment

This sounds like a rumor, and I hope it is!
        Foolish Mortal
        sigpic

Comment

If it were true, I wouldn't be surprised. Not a whole lot of people visit the Gallery nowadays unless you're somewhat of a Disney fanatic.

Do i agree with the suite? Of course not.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
          -Adidas
          Originally posted by KISSman
          In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

Comment

Hope it isn't true. It would be poor judgement to change the area from something that brings in money to something that doesn't.
            VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

Didn't they consider this before and decided the logistics of actually having somebody stay in the park was not going to work?

Comment

And consider the fact that if it were true, by the time they finished all the renovations, YOMD would be over.
                If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

I have one unfortunate point, that may support this, to point out: if they do this, yes the current F! balcony would be gone... but aren't they going to be remodeling the Riverbelle Terrace to include a second floor, to serve 'VIP' F! guests? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember having read.

And I, myself, would not be happy at all if they took out the gallery. It's one of the few quiet, beautifully detailed areas left in the park; not including it's historical value. I love going up there when I'm ready to chill out for a while. Does it seem they don't want us to relax in the park? First, the peoplemover, and now this...

Comment

I wonder if the room may be Frog Princess themed, since it is in New Orleans Square. Well, I rather have the gallery either way.

Comment

I've only been to Disneyland twice, but both times we visited the gallery and loved it. It would be a shame if they let it go. But since it was Walt's baby, I don't see it happening. And, this may sound really silly, but they made it a destination in VMK. Why would they spend all that time designing a new part of this game when they "knew" all along it was going to be scraped?

Comment

that area is way too noisy at night and it doesn't quiet down until the park closes especially if there is a third fantasmic. Also the suite in WDW fits the theming of the area, putting that suite in new orleans square doesn't fit any theming in the area. now if they themed it as the "walt disney" suite and used some of lilian's victorian ideas, it would fit a little better. but you would still have the problem of not being able to get to sleep until after midnight every night, not my idea of a great prize.

Comment

I hope this doesn't happen, I love the gallery. I visit it every trip and usually wind up buying something there.
                          Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post

The Cinderella Suite concept works better in Florida because they have "Cinderella's Castle" in their MK. As you have said, the Mickey Suite at the Disneyland Hotel works fine here...and unless they plan on making it the "Johnny Depp Dream Suite"...placing it in New Orleans Square over Pirates makes no sense.

Cinderella does not belong in New Orleans, it would be a horrendous theming mistake. I hope this doesn't happen, as the Disney Gallery is a very nice place that should stay.

Comment

Originally posted by AP2CM View Post
                              I just got word from some very good sources
                              I would be curious as to the nature of your "very good sources".

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X