Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DCA's "Block Party Bash" a big mistake?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dancinmanCA
    replied
    Originally posted by Jspider
    honestly?

I don't consider anything outside of Disneyland park itself that is happening during the 50th to be part of the celebration

they wanted a parade for DCA and now's a good time to tie one in with something

and it's good that it's different also in a way because that way the resort is offering two new things that each have different flavors to them

*DING*

Leave a comment:

• Jspider
    replied
    honestly?

I don't consider anything outside of Disneyland park itself that is happening durring the 50th to be part of the celebration

they wanted a parade for DCA and now's a good time to tie one in with something

and it's good that it's different also in a way because that way the resort is offering two new things that each have different flavors to them

Leave a comment:

• Darkbeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance

However, the point most of you seem to be forgetting is that DCA's new ******/party offering is part of the "Happiest Celebration on Earth" being celebrated at all Disney theme parks. The block party/****** is, therefore, a celebration of DISNEYLAND, not just a regular ****** or show. The original Magic Kingdom is the point of the whole celebration to begin with. At first I couldn't see, from the (albeit sketchy) description, how this block party was commemorating Disneyland. Sure, classic sentimental Disney may not have an exact place in DCA, but shouldn't a celebration of Disneyland in ANY Disney theme park at least include the Fab 5 and a float of the castle? Or at least Mickey Mouse? Who knows, maybe it will. It's early to say.

But how is a event that is 100% PIXAR characters celebrating Disneyland????

PIXAR is its own studio, which used Disney as a distributor for its first 5 films, and it looks like they are going their own way after Cars is released...

IMHO, I see absolutely no tie in with Disneyland Park and its 50th Birthday.....

Leave a comment:

• MiceMan
    replied
    I am just happy they are getting something ... ANYTHING

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    First of all, I'm glad to see so many diverse opinions about this subject. A lot of you seem to think that a modern "edgy" parade/block party is best for DCA and to leave timeless Disney for Disneyland. I do agree with that to a point; DCA is its own park and should stand alone with its own identity. When I started this thread I didn't mean to imply that DCA should become Disneyland 2 or simply a continuation of the Magic Kingdom, far from it. (Although I must ask, hasn't a lack of Disney been the main thing the public has been moaning and groaning about since this park opened in 2001?)

However, the point most of you seem to be forgetting is that DCA's new parade/party offering is part of the "Happiest Celebration on Earth" being celebrated at all Disney theme parks. The block party/parade is, therefore, a celebration of DISNEYLAND, not just a regular parade or show. The original Magic Kingdom is the point of the whole celebration to begin with. At first I couldn't see, from the (albeit sketchy) description, how this block party was commemorating Disneyland. Sure, classic sentimental Disney may not have an exact place in DCA, but shouldn't a celebration of Disneyland in ANY Disney theme park at least include the Fab 5 and a float of the castle? Or at least Mickey Mouse? Who knows, maybe it will. It's early to say.

I think, despite all the speculation, everyone is hopeful. I want to assure certain members, especially NERDEUS, that we're keeping the faith and looking forward to the block party and realize that info so far is limited.

Our own Kevin Yee stated in one of his last articles that the basic Magic Kingdom formula works and that Disney should have stuck to it. Since DCA opened, the reaction has been constant; "Where's the Disney in this park?" Obviously park goers want Disney, in almost any form and the idea of a "hip edgy ADULT" park fell flat on its face. Since then, TDA has been scrambling to alter the direction of the park and has blurred the line (as another member put it).

So, if this new block party is indeed a fast-paced, hip, edgy offering, what does that say about the direction DCA is going?

Leave a comment:

• PumpkinKing!
    replied
    Originally posted by gurgi
    Also, I prefer DCA to get different kinds of entertainment like Block Party Bash. Sure, it's got some strange music choices, but I like the fact that it's not a traditional Disneyland style parade, because...well, Disneyland is accross the way! I really, really don't want the same kinds of experiences in both parks, and unfortunately, TDA has put in some Disneyland style attractions in DCA that blur the line. The only problem with the original "hip and edgy" theme they were trying for was not everyones' interpretations of "hip and edgy". However, Disney has NEVER been known to be that anyway, so why did they even try to go there? I wish they had gone the EPCOT route and just made more adult or edutainment themed attractions without trying to follow current trends.

Anwyay, I'll give Bock Party Bash the benefit of the doubt and wait to pass judgement until I've seen it myself.
    I thought DCA originally was supposed to be more adult themed anyway? Except when it debuted so many peopel complained that it was too adult they decided to add such things as Bear in The Big Blue House etc. (ugh so not the fan of that! give me ABC soap opera bistro anyday!), and Fliks Fun Fair? and the like.

Leave a comment:

• gurgi
    replied
    Also, I prefer DCA to get different kinds of entertainment like Block Party Bash. Sure, it's got some strange music choices, but I like the fact that it's not a traditional Disneyland style parade, because...well, Disneyland is accross the way! I really, really don't want the same kinds of experiences in both parks, and unfortunately, TDA has put in some Disneyland style attractions in DCA that blur the line. The only problem with the original "hip and edgy" theme they were trying for was not everyones' interpretations of "hip and edgy". However, Disney has NEVER been known to be that anyway, so why did they even try to go there? I wish they had gone the EPCOT route and just made more adult or edutainment themed attractions without trying to follow current trends.

Anwyay, I'll give Bock Party Bash the benefit of the doubt and wait to pass judgement until I've seen it myself.

Leave a comment:

• figment1986
    replied
    Who here heard of "Mickey Mania that ran at MK WDW for a few years.. It was a fastpace parade... with a high pace song.. and had people doing stunts on roller blades...

now take that.. add songs that are old and aknoying and use famous CGI characters and ytou have a DCA parade... hehe recicling is fun... It might do well... thought it probably will get fine tuned around through out it's existance...

Leave a comment:

• gurgi
    replied
    "The last parade I remember with 10 minute show stops was Light Magic (shudder). I sure hope that Disney has learned the lessons of the past."

Well, show stops don't automatically equal Light Magic. Tokyo Disneyland has show stops in almost every single parade they've done for the last 10 years, and they are all successful. Even Lion King Celebration at Disneyland had a show stop. I think Light Magic was the onlyl unsuccessful parade with show stops. It's funny how one mistake puts people off of things for good (or at least for a very long time).

Leave a comment:

• NERDEUS
    replied
    Originally posted by swagdaddy
    Anyone hear of that foe "Studio Tour" that Woddy and the gang were supose to star in? It was to be the entertainment/parade for DCA this year? I thought that would be more fun and exciting....

This really seems like an offering that speaks down to guests. Which has been one part of this park's downfall to this point. I'd like to know how long this one has been on the drawing boards back in Entertainment. It seems like a Presler/Harris idea that has been lingering around for a while.

It's not like I spend more than 3 hours in DCA on each visit anyway, but it would be nice to have something even remotly interesting going on over there. you can only ride Tower and the Muppets so many times...
    What do you mean that this show "speaks down to guests?" I'm not sure how it does that. If only all of you know how utterly excited some of the show directors are about BPB... you'd be amazed at their enthusiasm with this project.

I just think it's too early to have a topic about how we think BPB is a "mistake." Again, I wish everyone was a little less skeptical and a little more hopeful.

Leave a comment:

• innerSpaceman
    replied
    Originally posted by PumpkinKing!
    I enjoyed Eureka (I may be the only one.)
    Nope, I loved it. Thought it was the best thing DCA ever did, right down to the supposedly-racially-insulting human fortune cookies and chinese food take-out boxes.

Leave a comment:

• PumpkinKing!
    replied
    Well I am very optimistic for DCA! I love it there. I am sure the parade will do well. I enjoyed Eureka (I may be the only one.)! Unfortunately though its true as stated above you can only ride some of the more E-ticket type attractions there so many times and walk around the park so many times. But its different and so are its offerings. I agree we should all meet on the day that show/ parade opens I have faith we will all be pleasantly surprised!

Leave a comment:

• swagdaddy
    replied
    Anyone hear of that foe "Studio Tour" that Woddy and the gang were supose to star in? It was to be the entertainment/parade for DCA this year? I thought that would be more fun and exciting....

This really seems like an offering that speaks down to guests. Which has been one part of this park's downfall to this point. I'd like to know how long this one has been on the drawing boards back in Entertainment. It seems like a Presler/Harris idea that has been lingering around for a while.

It's not like I spend more than 3 hours in DCA on each visit anyway, but it would be nice to have something even remotly interesting going on over there. you can only ride Tower and the Muppets so many times...

Leave a comment:

• NERDEUS
    replied
    Whoever mentioned those songs (i.e. Macarena) also failed to mention that they'll be doing other songs like "Hey Ya!" (Outkast) and other more "hit" and recent songs. Seriously, don't worry too much about the music - you'll like it.
    What you sorta should be worried about, which I am, is how they're going to get people to dance and get excited with if there's NOONE there since DCA is a pretty desolate place. I'm hoping that BPB will make its debut on May 4th (not 5th) so that all the guests that are refused entrance into Disneyland on the 4th will go to DCA and see BPB - hopefully gain a little more of a following than otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• GeminiGuy
    replied
    ok, so maybe their song selection is alittle off, but "classic" disney is for disneyland. if they start putting in classic stuff, they might as well change the name of DCA to disneyland 2. the whole point of DCA was to be different and up beat. I know it still needs to mature. I LOVED eureka! parade. It was such a fun parade and it had NO disney character in it!

Leave a comment:

• Tinafromidaho
    replied
    Sounds Great

I think it sounds awesome. Personally though I really like DCA, I know a lot ot Disneyland fanatics hate it because it does not carry over the disneyland theme, but it's not supposed to. I love the whole pier feel of it. Maybe I'm just easy to please. The bash will be great fun.

Leave a comment:

• Mr D
    replied
    Everything is going as planned, you see these arraingements of what shows, parades, bands and events are in actuality precisely planned by diehard Disney management loyalists to further hasten and tarnish the reputation and further the absolute condemnation of that putrid escuse of a park....

I am glad DCA gets all this refuse, better there than Disneyland!

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied
    I wouldn't mind if they used CURRENT A/C songs, goodness knows Disney has created quite a number recently and even made some through their movies that are considered timeless enough that they can be played nowadays without looking old, but songs that are so universally disliked that they're considered kitschy? What in the world is this?

Originally posted by GoldenEars
    Be happy that we're even getting a major type *parade* at DCA, because they didn't really have to do it.
    They didn't really have to build the park. But they did, and now they need to convince people that it's good enough to sink their money in it.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyFunGuy
    replied
    My Opinion...

Personally, I'm excited about BPB coming to DCA!! If you people (and you know who you are) want a traditional and more sentimental Disney parade, then make sure you see *Parade of Dreams* at Disneyland.

Disney's California Adventure is NOT Disneyland or a continuation of it. And even tho DCA has got the Disney name in it, it's really in a class by itself. It's still trying to find it's mark and I believe BPB will be a surprisingly big hit!

I love the idea of the hip-hop dancing and songs it'll showcase, cuz when I go into DCA, I expect something more of an edge. And I'm sure the folks at Disney have learned a few lessons from past mistakes to make sure BPB is a smash hit, and I have total faith in it! Besides, it's Disneyland that's celebrating their 50th, not DCA. Be happy that we're even getting a major type *parade* at DCA, because they didn't really have to do it.

As for the songs they're apparently using for BPB, I'm sure it'll be done very creatively and in a Disney-theme way. So basically, for those of you who are already giving it thumbs down, DON'T! Give it a chance and base your opinions after you've seen it.

Leave a comment:

• dancinmanCA
    replied
    Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
    Isn't that what Ashlee Simpson sang at a football half time show before she was booed?
    haha.

no, she just makes US want to scream.

and run.

while covering our ears.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X