• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mouseinphilly
    Banned User
    • Jul 2007

"Light Tragic"

Over at the "Disney's E-LED-trical Parade" threads, it somehow veered into what the disaster known as "Light Magic" (or as a boardie claimed it to be "Light Tragic").

So I'd figured to start a "Light Tragic" thread here.
  • AwesomeMan33
    Fighter Pilot
    • Apr 2007

Re: "Light Tragic"

it sucked, thats all that can be said about it
    http://www.myspace.com/nygard33

Comment

• SpokkerJones
      Banned User
      • Jan 2005

Thanks for the thread.

Light Magic was a show at Disneyland.

Comment

• trojanrobmc
        Beat the bruins!
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
        it sucked, thats all that can be said about it
        I second that. I was a cast member back then, and I can remember little kids being so frightened of those freak characters, whatever they were called. And I laugh remembering the looks on the parents facings after they watched the show for a few minutes, then looked at eachother with that "what the **** was that?" look.
        sigpicThe Kid

Comment

• mouseinphilly
          Banned User
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SpokkerJones View Post
          "Thanks for the thread."
          No problemo, friends.

Comment

• SpokkerJones
            Banned User
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mouseinphilly View Post
            No problemo, friends.
            Do you have anything to say about Light Magic?

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
              Beach Expert
              • Sep 2006

It sucked, even though I never saw it.

Comment

• mouseinphilly
                Banned User
                • Jul 2007

Well, upon hearing this, it must've B-squared S-squared: Bit, Blew, Stunk and Sucked all at the same time.

Comment

• techskip
                  I Break Things
                  • Jun 2007

Have always called it Light Tragic... lasted an awe inspiring 4 months, was supposed to replace MSEP. I had a thread on here asking if it would work today... honestly it wasn't "bad", it was overall confusing and if you weren't at one of 4 specific show stops all you saw was a dark float rolling by with faries sleeping on it, never understood the story either.
                  "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• MegaDisney
                    Banned User
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

God I love posts like this one...

Comment

• 1disneynut2another
                      Boogers are salty
                      • Apr 2007

It didnt really suck as bad as people claim, it just had the sad sad job of following the MSEP. I mean Walts Ressurection would have been booed that summer. MSEP was ireplacable, amd Light Magic being so close to it without the charm was doomed from the start.

Comment

• WannaCub
                        Can Only Wish For More!
                        • Aug 2005

Is this the parade that started the parade stops? I really hate the stops due to you having to be at the right place and the right time...just like the Dream Squad! LOL...

I wish I could have seen it.
                        Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
                        - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
                        - me too!

Comment

• 1disneynut2another
                          Boogers are salty
                          • Apr 2007

It did start the parade stops, but at least then they did it right, they told you where to be, it wasnt realy a parade because the show started when they stoped, it was part of why it sucked, all the floats were the same. It was a moving stage not a parade.

Comment

• Ride Monkey
                            The line is HOW long!?!
                            • May 2007

I friend of mine who worked Entertainment at the time MADE me see the parade because he wanted me just to see how horrible it truly was. I remember being embarrassed for Disneyland when I saw it. I remember that there was a movie projected on a screen on one of the floats (close-ups of children's faces in wonderment, stuff like that) and those weird parade characters broke into a "Lord of the Dance" type Irish-clogging thing to some freaky Celtic-type music. It had no theme, no personality, and served no purpose except to reinforce the horrible realization on how tragic it was to lose the Electrical Parade. I still have a magnet on our refrigerator of the Light Magic logo. I bought it because I knew it wouldn't last past the summer and so any souvenier of it would be a novelty. I was right!
                            :captain: Pirate!

Comment

• GrimmGreen
                              been away for a while
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

hmmm interesting logic

My Maleficent tattoo

Comment

• 1disneynut2another
                                Boogers are salty
                                • Apr 2007

I might be wrong but didn't Michael Jackson write the main song for Light Magic

Comment

• krystledm
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Mar 2006

anyone have a good video of it, all i can fnd is the finale and i happen to think it looks great

i love the celtic take on msel's theme.

kindof sad, it looks like disney put alot of money and effort into those floats...
                                  Last edited by krystledm; 07-18-2007, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• patattack
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • May 2007

dont think i ever saw it, but from what people said before and a youtube i probly would have cried

Comment

• 3rdshiftCM
                                      I love my family!
                                      • Feb 2005

If the park hadn't hyped the MSEP glowing away forever (or at least until another park needs it) the fall out wouldn't have been so bad for Light Magic.
                                      The show really wasn't that bad, the music was good the idea was good the floats/stages were HUGE, there was just poor execution. From the negative fall out from the AP party that kind of began Al's climb into DL internet history to the poor press coverage, I mean how many parks have news story’s about them and there bad new parade?

I wish they would have taken the time to fix what they had started, there was a lot of money thrown into this project and I believe it could have been fixed but, they just didn't have that chance.

You ever noticed that a lot people who didn't like it, just didn't like it because it replaced the MSEP?
                                      For all those people, I bet your all over at DCA watching Disney's Electrical Parade every chance you get huh, YEAH RIGHT!

It just wasn't that bad, did it have issues? Well yeah, but what new anything doesn’t?

Don't hate what you don't know.

Comment

• PirateMickey
                                        A Pirate's life for me!
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mouseinphilly View Post
                                        So I'd figured to start a "Light Tragic" thread here.

Yeah, you and a whole bunch of others in the past...

Try doing a search. Should be plenty of hits on the subject.

I was there on the opening night of Light Tragic. TV camera's were everywhere. It was broadcasted on a bunch of channels even up in the Bay Area. They had plenty of hype over it.

And then it made its appearance, and the rest is history.

Terrible. The only part that I did like about it was the sappy movie that they made which showed on the screen of the floats.

We got our spot two hours before showtime, in order to get a good view. We were assured by a CM that we had the "best seats in the house".

Well, that was a crock...

The float thing stopped, but not in front of where we were. About 30 feet away. And the "sitting only" section in front of us quickly turned into "standing room only". Anyways, that didn't spoil it for us. Comparatively speaking, that was small in the overall scheme of things. Freaky looking things dancing around. Poor "light" show, and so on.

Of course, as already mentioned, anything would have had a tough time following the MSEP. But come on!!!

As we were leaving the Park for the night, a CM came up to us and asked if we saw the show and how we liked it. That was a mistake!

Out of all the times that we have enjoyed the Park, we've never been asked our opinion. Did I let loose on that poor CM!

And I finished up with, "I bet it doesn't last til the end of the year!".

And I was right... (by a few months, too)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X