This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

Everyone has heard complaints about the Year of a Million Dreams Disney Gallery is closing on July 31st to make room for a premium suite usable only by a Year of a Million Dreams Year of a Million DreamsDisney GalleryYear of a Million Dreams. The first attraction to be lost is also something that was personal to Walt; The Mark TwainThe Mark TwainThe Mark TwainRivers of America. You even get to sign your name into the guest book in the wheelhouse.

Unfortunately with the Year of a Million Dreams now plaguing the parks, you can no longer ride in the Wheelhouse unless you are one of the lucky profiled and computer-selected winners of the promotion. No longer can you simply call up to the Captain before the boat departs to experience that part of the attraction.
    This may not seem to be a big deal to most people, but removing attractions from regular guests to the park is a very big deal and completely goes against the philosophy under which Disneyland was built back in 1955. Walt built Disneyland so that everyoneDumbo or the Teacups in FantasylandRoyal Suite in New Orleans Square or ride in the Wheelhouse on The Mark Twaintaken away from guestsYear of a Million Dreams being extended to go through 2008, what will they remove next? Will the front row seats on Space Mountain or become special prizes for contest winners? Will the rumored return of the Walkthrough be exclusive for the Year of a Million Dreams? Before you think none of that would be possible, just think that a year ago Disneyland had two additional attractions that anyone could experience, which have now been taken away to be part of a contest.

Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

You are wrong. All you have to do to ride in the wheelhouse is ask.

I agree with you on The Disney Gallery though.

Comment

Originally posted by SpokkerJones View Post
      You are wrong. All you have to do to ride in the wheelhouse is ask.
      Every single time I've gone to the park since YOMD has started, we've tried and they were only allowing Dream winners up there.

Comment

It's funny because there has been so much celebration (and justly so) of the demise of the ugly pastel fairy-winged swirly "Where Dreams Come True" ad banners and campaign - - but the "Year of a MILLION Dreams" logo looks just as tacky to me - - it evokes a Game Show title and slogan...

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Originally posted by ManaByte View Post
          Every single time I've gone to the park since YOMD has started, we've tried and they were only allowing Dream winners up there.
          How did the conversation go exactly?

Comment

On Sunday we asked to ride in the Lilly Belle, because we saw people getting out, but we couldn't because 2 people were chosen for a "dream" to ride it with just them and the 2 dream team cm's. Later in the afternoon we saw more people getting off, so it was just for THAT ride that we couldn't go. They just got to go alone for one trip around the park.

Comment

Hrmmmm every time I work on the Twain I have people up there with me who ask or I pick none of this Dream nonsence

Comment

Originally posted by SpokkerJones View Post
                How did the conversation go exactly?
                Asked the CMs if you had to be a winner to go up and they said "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Karnever View Post
                  Hrmmmm every time I work on the Twain I have people up there with me who ask or I pick none of this Dream nonsence
                  Yeah, it's not a dream prize. It's a magical moment or something. They pick people to go up there because not everybody knows about it. If you'd like to ride ask again later.

Comment

Asked the CMs if you had to be a winner to go up and they said "Yes."
                    Maybe it's only during a certain part of the day. There have been many people who have ridden in the wheelhouse because they asked since you made these claims about six months ago. I don't know what to tell you.

Comment

I don't see any big deal about who gets to ride in the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain now vs. before the Million dreams promo. Just the selection process is different. There is limited space in the wheelhouse and not everyone who is on the Mark Twain will get to ride in the wheelhouse with the current "Dream" selection process as well as with the previous "yell up to the captain" process.

This ad campaign is designed to provide extra magic to random guests and it seems that the Disney regulars (many who have probably ridden in the wheelhouse of the Twain several times) are upset because things have changed in "their" park.

What about the family from Des Moines Iowa who has saved up their money for several years to make their once in a lifetime trip to the Park and don't know about the "yell up to the captain" method of riding in the wheelhouse. This dream selection process makes it possible for those who don't know all of the "Disney secrets" to have the same opportunity.

It gets old seeing people constantly rip on this promo because it doesn't meet their individual criteria as to how the park should be run. Get over it and enjoy the park or if you can't, then stay away until the next 18 month promo starts.

Comment

Originally posted by mac81962 View Post
                        I don't see any big deal about who gets to ride in the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain now vs. before the Million dreams promo. Just the selection process is different. There is limited space in the wheelhouse and not everyone who is on the Mark Twain will get to ride in the wheelhouse with the current "Dream" selection process as well as with the previous "yell up to the captain" process.

This ad campaign is designed to provide extra magic to random guests and it seems that the Disney regulars (many who have probably ridden in the wheelhouse of the Twain several times) are upset because things have changed in "their" park.

What about the family from Des Moines Iowa who has saved up their money for several years to make their once in a lifetime trip to the Park and don't know about the "yell up to the captain" method of riding in the wheelhouse. This dream selection process makes it possible for those who don't know all of the "Disney secrets" to have the same opportunity.

It gets old seeing people constantly rip on this promo because it doesn't meet their individual criteria as to how the park should be run. Get over it and enjoy the park or if you can't, then stay away until the next 18 month promo starts.
                        That totally sounds like a Disney PR response.

Comment

The same thing happens everytime i want to shoot hoops in the Matterhorn.
                          "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

That totally sounds like a Disney PR response.
                            Yes, I'm sure Disney PR encourages people to stay away from the park....

Comment

You defnitely do not have to be a YOAMD winner to ride in the Wheel House, my family and I rode in it on Fathers Day just a couple days after coming out of refurb, all we did was ask nicely. It was total awesome! You can see some of the pics in this trip report:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68134

I like YOAMD, I dont support closing the gallery, but a chance to win something for nothing is cool (I would be going to DL either way so its really just an extra perk). Plus its great that we dont have to deal with the grafitti anymore!

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X