This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Blair

SO I was goofing around on the youtube and plugged in Mary Blair and got some fun hits I thought some of you might enjoy ... so here they are.

Anyone know how we might be able to get Mary (and Alice Davis too) her window on Main Street?

Little Train (really very cool)

Murals

Mary Blair Artwork

Walt talks about IASM With Mary Blair
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Re: Mary Blair

The hats the female plaids used to wear are ridiculous.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
      The hats the female plaids used to wear are ridiculous.
      They're supposed to look like riding hats. Riding hats, crops, plaid skirts, red knee socks, they were quite the male fantasy! ) (Well, for SOME males!)

Comment

Speaking of Mary Blair, is there anyway that the Murals could be restored.

The other day I noticed the new murals are begining to show some wear and tear and it got me thinkng.

Comment

I love Mary Blair's work. There is a tribute to her in the It's a Small World attraction: look about halfway up on the Eiffel Tower and there is a little Mary Blair doll holding a balloon.

I would love to see her get a window on Main Street. :thumbup:
          M A S E C A !

Comment

Originally posted by Berd View Post
            I love Mary Blair's work. There is a tribute to her in the It's a Small World attraction: look about halfway up on the Eiffel Tower and there is a little Mary Blair doll holding a balloon.

I would love to see her get a window on Main Street. :thumbup:

LOL. Now I have to ride IASW to see the MB tribute.

I love her colorful and vibrant works. For me she is simply one of the most important Disney Legends. I miss her murals in TL a lot and think what's there now is pathetic in comparison. Fantastic tile murals replaced by vinyl poster art. It reeks of the Eisner era. And its just sad.

Oh well I always have that fantastic facade on IASW to make me smile.
            IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
              Speaking of Mary Blair, is there anyway that the Murals could be restored.

The other day I noticed the new murals are begining to show some wear and tear and it got me thinkng.
              I've been wondering the same for ages now. Are they still under the new covering murals? Or were they taken away? I'm hoping that they weren't destroyed Hang on, were they just apinted onto the tiles or were they ceramically baked into the tiles? Cos if they were just painted the 1986 & 1998 new murals would have just been painted ontop.

Somewhat answering my own question but still uncertain:

From Yesterland
              Will we ever see the Mary Blair Tomorrowland murals again? Were the murals destroyed? Or are they still intact under the current murals?
              In The Art and Flair of Mary Blair, John Canemaker wrote, Other accounts are less optimistic. At least one person owns a chunk of the south mural. And if cost was such an issue, how much care was taken to protect the Mary Blair murals when subsequent murals were installed?

Last edited by monotonehell; 07-20-2007, 07:24 AM.
              Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
              DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Comment

maybe one of the people who put up the ugly new "mural" found a loose piece of tile and he took it.

They might come back in the 2009 renovation!! Depends on what theme their going to do for the new tomorrowland.

Comment

I think of her everytime I ride IASW.
                  sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanda Woman View Post
                    "Riding hats, crops, plaid skirts, red knee socks, they were quite the male fantasy! ) (Well, for SOME males!)"
                    Sick, twisted, heads stuck in PUSH the Automated Trash Can... :roll: :lmao:

Comment

From the looks of them, the new murals are just covers like then new style billboards but, the one from 98 I believe was permanent so I don't know whats left of the Blair murals.

I would like to see them again but, I'm not sure if they even fit in TL anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by monotonehell View Post
                        I've been wondering the same for ages now. Are they still under the new covering murals? Or were they taken away? I'm hoping that they weren't destroyed Hang on, were they just apinted onto the tiles or were they ceramically baked into the tiles? Cos if they were just painted the 1986 & 1998 new murals would have just been painted ontop.

Somewhat answering my own question but still uncertain:

From Yesterland
                        Will we ever see the Mary Blair Tomorrowland murals again? Were the murals destroyed? Or are they still intact under the current murals?
                        In The Art and Flair of Mary Blair, John Canemaker wrote, Other accounts are less optimistic. At least one person owns a chunk of the south mural. And if cost was such an issue, how much care was taken to protect the Mary Blair murals when subsequent murals were installed?

The tiles were ceramic (see link in OP titled "Murals") and the ones from the Star Tours side were used to make counters for a pizzeria in Disneyland Paris

As a sentimental touch to Disney history, they used broken tiles of a mural, that Disney artist Mary Blair (whose work is also visible at Disneyland Paris just a few meters away from Pizzeria Bella Notte at it's a small world) had created for Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Those broken tiles are now part of the wales of this very special counter-service restaurant.

Source: www.DLP.info

Sad, sad, sad
                        IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

so there gone?!?

REMAKE THEM

Comment

Here's the deal with the Mary Blair murals:

The Star Tours/ATIS side (as seen in that photo) had a new facade built over it. They carelessly knocked holes to drive spikes through the mural and cut new doors in it and the tile chunks from those large destroyed sections ended up as described. But much of it is still under there (see pic).

But the Buzz Lightyear/CircleVision side was preserved under a overhanging canopy that didn't bust the majority of mural tiles. It's still under there.

I believe they should be restored. This is genuine handcrafted Walt Disney art by one of the best.
                            Last edited by merlinjones; 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post

I believe they should be restored. This is genuine handcrafted Walt Disney art by one of the best.
                              :bow:

I'll second that
                              IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X