This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurt Russell & the Osmonds Visit the Haunted Mansion, 1970

[youtube]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QFlBHfMd5vU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QFlBHfMd5vU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]This is an excerpt from the episode "Disneyland Showtime", from The Wonderful World of Disney on NBC, in which the Haunted Mansion made it debut. Original airdates: March 22, 1970 and June 28, 1970.

Fun! :thumbup:

Here's a neat photo article from the June 1970 issue of Fave! magazine, about the episode of the show. Check out what Kurt says about the Osmonds! It's classic!

(click to enlarge)

Same coverage, different magazine: this time it's Tiger Beat, May 1970 issue.

(click to enlarge)
    Last edited by TiaDalmaFan; 07-20-2007, 03:00 AM. Reason: correct date

Re: Kurt Russell &amp; the Osmonds Visit the Haunted Mansion, 1970

Wow, what a great find.
    sigpic

Comment

I love that episode! I wish they'd put it in one of the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs.

Comment

Yeah, I recorded it back when Vault Disney was still playing on the Disney Channel.

That and all of the other "special" episodes that they aired.

I actually "starred" in one. The premier of the POTC episode. It featured the opening of Pirates and showed the ride. Our family was in the front two rows of the boat as it "went up the waterfall" to exit the ride. You can clearly see a kid in the front row that was wearing glasses. His glasses have tape wrapped around one corner of them, since they broke on the trip. That was my cousin. I am sitting right next to him. That was our first trip to DL.

I never realized it until we were watching the episode on tape and the broken glasses thing caught my eye. Then they started to look familiar to me. Upon closer examination, it was us!

About two seconds of fame! hehe

Comment

What I would give for those HM models! Anyone think they still exist?
          Great stuff again, TDFan

Comment

"Handsome and groovy". I believe that says it all, ha ha!

What fun to watch and read- thanks so much for posting! I've met the Osmonds a couple of times and they really are so very nice and friendly- and Wayne is a hoot! These articles and show are a bit before my time, but I'm huge fans of Kurt and especially the Osmonds!

Thanks again!

Comment

Cool - thanks for posting those articles. Think they could use the word "groovy" one more time? :lol: I remember that episode - I also wish that it would become available on DVD.
              M A S E C A !

Comment

Thanks for the articles!!! "Disneyland Showtime" is one of my favorite TV hours. I hope Leonard puts it on his upcoming Disneyland Treaures set... (meantime there are bootlegs out there on the genre convention circuit under the title "Haunted Mansion Special 1969").

I always had a crush on Kurt Russell - - I wanted to grow up to be like him in his groovy threads and dunebuggy having wacky Disney adventures with animals and fantastic experiments and Ceasar Romero chasing me (well, maybe not so much the last part)!
                Last edited by merlinjones; 07-20-2007, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I always loved this episode, but never knew what to try and search for to actually find it again. Any chance the rest of the episode is floating around?

Comment

thanks! love those clean cut groovy boys!

Comment

The whole show is available on this DVD: http://01508f4.netsolstores.com/inde...PROD&ProdID=65

It's not a great copy, and they've got it badly mislabeled as having something to do with opening day in 1969, which is rubbish, but it's all there.

Like Tia says, it was first broadcast in March 1970, and it was probably filmed only a month or two before that at the most.
                      "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

Thanks for posting these great items! I first saw this on Vault Disney as well. Not only was I thrilled that the episode had the HM, but as a fan of the Osmond's, I was doubly thrilled to see they were in the same episode!

Whenever I see the Omnibus at DL I think of the Osmond's on it singing "Down on the Corner" by the Credence Clearwater Revival...

I too wish that all of these wonderful shows will be released someday, so many I long for... Little Dog lost, Pablo and the dancing Chihuahua...

Anyway, thanks for the GROOVY items!

Comment

I love the scene where the guy is working while puffing on his smoke pipe and carrying around the ghost model.

If he would do that in todays world, he would be beat down with a club and dragged to his death by the smoking police.

Comment

One drag about those bootlegs of the episode is that they have "letterboxed" the image to cover up the Disney Channel bug or the timecode or whatever, so the picture is badly cropped. But it's better than nothing since Disney won't put out.

I love the songs in the show too, especially The Kids of the Kingdom version of This Land is Your Land with Disneyland lyrics!

Really well-directed show, too.

Comment

I wish you get these on Disney Classic Treasures.
                              I just love all this old stuff, it is all from my time.
                              I really miss Vault Disney.
                              Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X