Taking Three Rookies to DLR, Need Advice Please.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max Fischer
    That Guy
    • Apr 2005

Taking Three Rookies to DLR, Need Advice Please.

Hi,

First, thanks to all for your info on DLR, I have learned a great deal.

Here is the deal. I am taking my Mom (63) and two brothers ( 21 & 22) to DLR for their first time. I really want to make their experiences as positive and wonderful as mine have been. Because it is so crazy there now, I thought it would be best to wait until Sep. or Oct. to take them to assist with reduced crowds. I would really like to go in Sep. because I am antsy to go back, but I want to maximize their experience. Here are my questions I can use help on. I apologize if they are dumb, or repetitive, I searched through the forums but could not find what I was looking for.

1. Will it be slow enough in Sep. and Oct. for rookies to get the flavor of DLR?

2. With attraction refurb, etc. when would be a good time to go? I want them to see as much as possible, but I know that HM goes down for overlay, and I heard that POTC may go down? Do you think it is essential for newbies to experience these?

3. Parades and Fireworks. Are they only on days when the resort closes late? We can go whenever, but I thought Mon-Thur would be good and maybe a tad slower, but the tradeoff would be no fireworks, etc. Do they show them on Sunday?

4. Any other tips, etc. to make this a special trip?

Thanks SO much for all the input, you guys are the best.

• dshimel
    Banned User
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Max Fischer
    1. Will it be slow enough in Sep. and Oct. for rookies to get the flavor of DLR?
    YEP

2. With attraction refurb, etc. when would be a good time to go? I want them to see as much as possible, but I know that HM goes down for overlay, and I heard that POTC may go down? Do you think it is essential for newbies to experience these?
    I'd plan for the first week of Sept. Still plenty warm. PotC and HM being down would suck, so try to go when they are both open.

3. Parades and Fireworks. Are they only on days when the resort closes late? We can go whenever, but I thought Mon-Thur would be good and maybe a tad slower, but the tradeoff would be no fireworks, etc. Do they show them on Sunday?
    Parades run all the time. They drop to once per day for off-season. Word is that fireworks will be every night for the 50th anniversary. The tricky one may be Fantasmic! I'm pretty sure it is still running for the first few weeks of Sept. You'll have to check on that one.

4. Any other tips, etc. to make this a special trip?
    Arrive early. Ride a bunch of stuff as quickly as possible. Then rest for the bulk of the mid-day, watching shows and eating a nice meal. Fireworks from the hub, right in front of Plaza Inn is a GREAT spot. 2nd Fantasmic if there are 2 on the night you plan to see it. It really does take 3 full days to DLR "right", especially for a newbie.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Comment

• DemonicDemona
      Minion
      • Mar 2005

take them on pirates for the 1st ride ^_^
      Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey :ap:

Comment

• Max Fischer
        That Guy
        • Apr 2005

Pirates for the first ride? I can do that. I need to check the refurb schedule to see what happens when.. My sis is having a baby shower right before Labor Day (the holiday, not hers..) and we can leave the day after labor day, but I think that will be too late for POTC.

Thanks for these tips, feel free to keep them coming. I know this isn't as exciting as a poll.... but it is super important to me that they get to know and love DLR as I have.

Comment

• Druggas
          Hooterville, USA
          • Feb 2005

The fall is a great time to go. The crowds should be managable enough to do everything. I would start at the Opera House. That explains the whole park to newbies.
          Last edited by Druggas; 06-29-2005, 05:23 PM.
          sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

• Darkbeer
            Darkbeer
            • Jan 2005

1. Yes, basically anytime after Labor Day prior to the Holiday season is a good time to visit in regards to crowds, the first weekend of October is probably the busiest due to the opening of the Haunted Mansion Holiday...

2. It looks like POTC won't go down until January or even early February, and they tend to not to have two major rides closed so close together, so if POTC goes down in the fall, it would more than likely me the first week in October. HM will be closed right after Labor Day, and "iasw" should be closed most of October. Also some work on the Tomorrowland entrance area might be going on.

3. The Fireworks is the biggest question, the new AP Calendar (June thru September) just sent out had a full page on the fireworks, and at the bottom of the page, it stated "Fireworks operated seasonally", there has been no announcement of if they will offer it 7 days a week, it is presumed that it will be offered at least Fridays thru Sundays, along with Fantasmic! and the DEP.

As for the Parade of Dreams, expect that at least once per day, and it looks like during November and December, that the Parade of Dreams will be offered at Disneyland, and the Christmas Parade will move to DCA, more than likely preempting both the DEP and the Block Party Bash.
            Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

• Max Fischer
              That Guy
              • Apr 2005

So if they do not have fireworks Mon-Thur, do you reccomend getting to DLR like Sunday afternoon, so we can start our trip then, and see some of the extras? If we get to DLR sunday at 4, and we use our 4-day hoppers, does that count as one day, even though we are only there for several hours?

Thanks!

Comment

• Gwyren
                Feel the breeze!
                • Apr 2005

So if they do not have fireworks Mon-Thur, do you reccomend getting to DLR like Sunday afternoon, so we can start our trip then, and see some of the extras? If we get to DLR sunday at 4, and we use our 4-day hoppers, does that count as one day, even though we are only there for several hours?

Thanks!
                Yes, it will count as one day if you go in on Sunday, even for 10 minutes.

I wish I could make some better suggestions, but I am starting to forget what it means to only have a limited amount of time at the park.

Some things which could be done Sunday, if they family would be interested, would be hunting down the 50 Mickeys, seeing the 50th Exhibit in the Opera House, see some of the things in DCA, walk around and view the collages (sp), spend time going through Downtown Disney, etc...

Comment

• Max Fischer
                  That Guy
                  • Apr 2005

Okay, this just in... My sister's shower is Sunday, so we could actually go to DLR and start our adventure on Labor Day. I know that it is a Monday, and I know it is a holiday, but do you guys think they might show the Fireworks, parades, extras because it is a holiday? Or because it is a Monday they will close early?

Also, I have read that AFTER Labor Day it gets slower, so does that make me a total moron for thinking about going on Labor Day itself? On the plus side, HM would still be running, and they could ride it, and if the fireworks, etc. are running, they get the full experience. Also, I can tell them "I told you it gets super-busy" and then they would know the difference when it is slower on Tue-Wed.

I almost forgot!! We are buying park hoppers, but I am going to upgrade to a AP. I have read advice here that says to upgrade your last day to have a longer experation time, thanks for that tip. Do you only get the full discount on meals, clothing, etc. with the PAP? If so, I guess the smart move is to wait to shop till the last day and use the PAP? Can I let my family use the discount, or do I need to pay for all the items and present the PAP?

thank you! thank you! thank you!
                  Last edited by Max Fischer; 06-29-2005, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Darkbeer
                    Darkbeer
                    • Jan 2005

Okay, this just in... My sister's shower is Sunday, so we could actually go to DLR and start our adventure on Labor Day. I know that it is a Monday, and I know it is a holiday, but do you guys think they might show the Fireworks, parades, extras because it is a holiday? Or because it is a Monday they will close early?

Also, I have read that AFTER Labor Day it gets slower, so does that make me a total moron for thinking about going on Labor Day itself? On the plus side, HM would still be running, and they could ride it, and if the fireworks, etc. are running, they get the full experience. Also, I can tell them "I told you it gets super-busy" and then they would know the difference when it is slower on Tue-Wed.

I almost forgot!! We are buying park hoppers, but I am going to upgrade to a AP. I have read advice here that says to upgrade your last day to have a longer expiration time, thanks for that tip. Do you only get the full discount on meals, clothing, etc. with the PAP? If so, I guess the smart move is to wait to shop till the last day and use the PAP? Can I let my family use the discount, or do I need to pay for all the items and present the PAP?

thank you! thank you! thank you!
                    Labor Day is probably the slowest of the holidays at the park, and they have not offer Fantasmic! or other normal weekend events in the past. They have not posted anything regarding the schedules past "peak" yet (it ends August 21st). The park will close around 8 PM (educated guess) and will have the Parade of Dreams.

If you are going to upgrade from a ParkHopper to a PREMIUM AP, do it right after you have taken advantage of the Early Entry and the ESPN Zone game card. Don't forget to bring your paid parking receipt, as they will refund one days worth of parking. But there is NO reason to wait...

If someone is getting anything other than a Premium AP, then it makes sense to wait to the last day to avoid Blockout days.

Comment

• Max Fischer
                      That Guy
                      • Apr 2005

Thank you all very much for your expert opinions, I really appreciate it!

Now my brothers are giving me flak and asking if we really need four days in the resort, or if that is too much....... Ughhhh, they must have been dropped on their heads when they were young.

There is a beach somewhere near DLR, right? I figure that, plus DLR, plus DD should be plenty.

Comment

• Malcon10t
                        Minion
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Darkbeer
                        3. The Fireworks is the biggest question, the new AP Calendar (June thru September) just sent out had a full page on the fireworks, and at the bottom of the page, it stated "Fireworks operated seasonally", there has been no announcement of if they will offer it 7 days a week, it is presumed that it will be offered at least Fridays thru Sundays, along with Fantasmic! and the DEP.
                        Dark, this is a question I think you might know. It was my understanding that Disneyland had an agreement with city/county/school district/someone, that during school (Sun-Thurs.), they don't do fireworks. I know I read something, but can't remember what or where or when.
                        If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

• Malcon10t
                          Minion
                          • Jun 2005

Now my brothers are giving me flak and asking if we really need four days in the resort, or if that is too much....... Ughhhh, they must have been dropped on their heads when they were young.
                          My brother is like that. My kids and I are going down July 13th. He, his wife, my sister, her friend, my mom and dad are coming down the 18th, and we all head home the 21st. He's going "Why would you want more than 2 days there???" My daughters going "We only have 9 days???"
                          If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

• Darkbeer
                            Darkbeer
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Malcon10t
                            Dark, this is a question I think you might know. It was my understanding that Disneyland had an agreement with city/county/school district/someone, that during school (Sun-Thurs.), they don't do fireworks. I know I read something, but can't remember what or where or when.
                            I think that is a bunch of... :ap:

Disneyland has been offering the Christmas version of the Fireworks for years now 7 days a week in November and December...

As a good Neighbor, both SeaWorld San Diego and Disneyland make sure the fireworks are done by 10 PM..

The biggest issue that I know about is the Air Quality board....

And of course, costs... the show is rumored to cost about $18,000 a night, between the cost of materials, and the CM's... and it might be going UP if they add new crowd control positions....

Comment

• Max Fischer
                              That Guy
                              • Apr 2005

Is there someone I could call to find out about the fireworks on Labor Day, or is it one of those 'wait and see' kind of things?

Looking at the schedule, HM goes down on the very next day, so it makes getting there on Labor Day pretty essential if I want my rookies to experience all they can.

Comment

• Darkbeer
                                Darkbeer
                                • Jan 2005

Is there someone I could call to find out about the fireworks on Labor Day, or is it one of those 'wait and see' kind of things?

Looking at the schedule, HM goes down on the very next day, so it makes getting there on Labor Day pretty essential if I want my rookies to experience all they can.
                                It is a wait and see, but based on prior years, I would bet on "No" for fireworks on the Monday....

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X