• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HBG2
    Inhospitable about happy
    • May 2006

Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Link for The Thread: http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56224
    Link for Index to The Thread: http://micechat.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=22

Obviously, Mansion fans will never stop talking about their favorite ride, so we might as well start another thread, taking up where the last one left off. The Thread has picked up another 3000 hits just since it's closed. And the "Index" thread is too poorly-named to do the job, IMO. I'm not going to steer this one so personally or so diligently, so it may be less intense, but I'll try to stop by and see whazzup now and then.

The latest buzz about the DL HM is over the apparent removal of the "DEAD END" sign, along with that bit of wall. Karnever says it's permanent, and that it has to do with making a wider space for evacuations (http://micechat.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=10). It strikes me that there are no really good pix of this sign on the Net, so if it's gone to Yesterland, y'all might want a nice shot to remember it by.

Last edited by HBG2; 07-27-2007, 08:21 PM. Reason: adding links for us lazy folks
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog..
  • fo'c's'le swab
    Blind to His Own Faults
    • Dec 2006

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

I was secretly hoping for "Revenge of the Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect", or "I Was a Teenage Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect", but the "Son" thing, I suppose, is more appropriate. Congrats on such a successful thread, and Bon Voyage to this one!! Consider yourself christened!

Comment

• PleaseRemainSeated
      MiceChatter
      • Jul 2007

I don't think I ever posted in the old thread, in spite of being a huge HM fan.

Won't make that mistake again.
      You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

Comment

• HBG2
        Inhospitable about happy
        • May 2006

Illustrated Anthology of Sorcery, Magic, and Alchemy. The "Witch of Walpurgis" concept painting is loaded with stuff taken from this book (see: http://micechat.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1954furnituregenuinefake
        Last edited by HBG2; 07-27-2007, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• AlexLoup
          A Big Mess
          • May 2006

Nice to see this thread.

Do you think that if the St. Anthony's demons got in they would have been removed about the same time Pirates became PC cause it was "offensive"...

if they got the reference.

Comment

• HBG2
            Inhospitable about happy
            • May 2006

Originally posted by AlexLoup View Post
            Nice to see this thread.

Do you think that if the St. Anthony's demons got in they would have been removed about the same time Pirates became PC cause it was "offensive"...

if they got the reference.
            Stuff that was in since 1969 would probably create little controversy today, because it's so familiar that no one would take offence. For example, I doubt if the hanging man would be green-lighted in a new attraction. There'd be complaints that they were making a joke out of suicide, and you couldn't get away with that now. But no one raises a fuss about the Ghost Host's "there's always my way," since it's been there all this time.

But you might be on to something. To Marc Davis's generation, demons and witchcraft were no more real than Frankenstein or the tooth fairy. Probably none of those guys foresaw a time when large numbers of people would take the occult so seriously that they would register a strong protest about things that were little more than Halloween decorations in the eyes of the old-time Imagineers. Still, I suppose it's possible that the team toned down some of the occultic imagery found in some of the concept art because it was "too dark."

Comment

• PleaseRemainSeated
              MiceChatter
              • Jul 2007

Well, then too, wasn't there a time before the final 'tone' of the mansion was settled? I seem to recall that for a time, the Imagineers weren't sure whether to make the attraction wacky and a bit spooky, or genuinely creepy. I wouldn't think that ideas like this were dropped just because they were too dark in and of themselves, but more because the mansion as a whole ended up going the other direction.
              You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

Comment

• HBG2
                Inhospitable about happy
                • May 2006

Originally posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
                Well, then too, wasn't there a time before the final 'tone' of the mansion was settled? I seem to recall that for a time, the Imagineers weren't sure whether to make the attraction wacky and a bit spooky, or genuinely creepy. I wouldn't think that ideas like this were dropped just because they were too dark in and of themselves, but more because the mansion as a whole ended up going the other direction.
                You could be right, but it could also be a case of obscure vs. obvious rather than spooky vs. silly. We have, once again, the case of the Witch of Walpurgis to illustrate this:

The difference between the concept art (left) and final version (right) is not spooky vs. silly. The concept art is full of arcane occult stuff that riders wouldn't recognize, while the final version is simpler. (So I argued here: http://micechat.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=460
                Last edited by HBG2; 07-27-2007, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• PleaseRemainSeated
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jul 2007

Also true - it would be both confusing and distracting. Especially since...

Okay, I must be honest. Maybe it's just me. But every time I look at that cat with bat wings...

I see this.

Comment

• aashee
                    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                    • Aug 2006

Also true - it would be both confusing and distracting. Especially since...

Okay, I must be honest. Maybe it's just me. But every time I look at that cat with bat wings...

I see this.

Ah!

A new original piece!

The thread lives on!

Chad

Comment

• dpdilla
                      Producer Extraordinaire
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
                      The latest buzz about the DL HM is over the apparent removal of the "DEAD END" sign, along with that bit of wall. Karnever says it's permanent, and that it has to do with making a wider space for evacuations (http://micechat.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=10). It strikes me that there are no really good pix of this sign on the Net, so if it's gone to Yesterland, y'all might want a nice shot to remember it by.

Is this going to be relocated? I can think of several places they could put it in the unloading area or as you exit. The nerve of them, removing pieces of my ride while my AP's bloacked out.

Comment

• GhostHost2
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jun 2007

I hope the Dead End sign comes back. It is an iconic piece of the ride.

Comment

• Fantasmico!
                          Merry 2014!
                          • Apr 2005

I see this.

Na na na nanana Bat Cat!

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
                          I hope the Dead End sign comes back. It is an iconic piece of the ride.
                          I always loved the Dead End sign.
                          Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

• TheManator
                            Banned User
                            • Jan 2005

Wow - completely forgot about that Dead End sign...it doesn't effect my experience and anyone who said it did is just plain silly. So, i am indifferent if it is gone or it is there.

Comment

• dougeebear
                              Halloween 2011
                              • Mar 2007

Question about intellectual property...
                              I noticed a recent blog from GRD that measurements of a tombstone were obscured to offset any complaint by Disney. These blueprints can be commonly found, so why the caution? Also, I came across a website selling replicas of practically everything in the Mansion, castings of plaques, stanchions, following busts, wallpaper, full size animatronics of the HHGs and the Caretaker, etc. and all at SUPER expensive prices. Wouldn't such a thing be a violation of Disney's intellectual property? I presume that "potential violation of Disney's intellectual property" would also be the reason no one has made a Demon Eyes wallpaper commercially available.

Comment

• doombuggy driver
                                Haunted Mansion Lover
                                • Sep 2006

How did I miss the other thread?

I love that sign so I hope they don't take it out but last time I checked Disney did not care what I think!
                                Foolish Mortal
                                sigpic

Comment

• HBG2
                                  Inhospitable about happy
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by dougeebear View Post
                                  Question about intellectual property...
                                  I noticed a recent blog from GRD that measurements of a tombstone were obscured to offset any complaint by Disney. These blueprints can be commonly found, so why the caution? Also, I came across a website selling replicas of practically everything in the Mansion, castings of plaques, stanchions, following busts, wallpaper, full size animatronics of the HHGs and the Caretaker, etc. and all at SUPER expensive prices. Wouldn't such a thing be a violation of Disney's intellectual property? I presume that "potential violation of Disney's intellectual property" would also be the reason no one has made a Demon Eyes wallpaper commercially available.
                                  I'll let GRD answer that one, if he's so inclined. I think that Disney looks at things on a case-by-case basis: Is it really worth it to go after this guy over here for copyright violation? Will it be bad publicity to go after that guy over there? There are lots of things out there that are technically illegal that the Mouse doesn't seem to bother with.

Originally posted by doombuggy driver View Post
                                  How did I miss the other thread?
                                  How indeed. You got some readin' to do, now.

Comment

• Datameister
                                    =)
                                    • Aug 2005

Needless to say, I'm very happy to see The Thread return with a vengeance, and I'm hoping to be more active in its latest incarnation than I was in the first.

I just rode HM yesterday (I love being able to say that! ), and there's no hint of the exit sign. I don't remember exactly where that sign used to be in the exit area--one of you told me it was on a wall protruding from the end of the HHG crypt, and that wall was removed for accessibility. My memory of the sign seemed to be of it being on the wall at the top of the ramp, just before you turn right and then left and exit the crypt. Anyway, the area didn't seem any different to me, though I hadn't ridden HM in two years, so I could be wrong.

As I said before, I'm a bit indifferent about whether or not the sign returns. It always struck me as a little bit out of place, so things feel a little more cohesive now...but the sentimental value of the sign makes me want it back. Oh well.

Comment

• HBG2
                                      Inhospitable about happy
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                      I don't remember exactly where that sign used to be in the exit area--one of you told me it was on a wall protruding from the end of the HHG crypt, and that wall was removed for accessibility. My memory of the sign seemed to be of it being on the wall at the top of the ramp, just before you turn right and then left and exit the crypt.
                                      It was on the inside of this little, extending wall:

Comment

• AlexLoup
                                        A Big Mess
                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
                                        It was on the inside of this little, extending wall:

What is your pic from?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X