Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you read the writing in IJA?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can you read the writing in IJA?

    I've been surprised that I've never read anything about the writing in IJA here, so I wasn't sure if it's common knowledge, nobody knows it, or nobody's really interested.

    Is there anybody besides me who can read it?
    "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zip-a-Dee-Ay,
    Home sweet home is the lesson today."

    You're wrong, Brer Rabbit, why would I want to be home when I can be at Disneyland?!?

  • #2
    Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

    yes
    http://www.myspace.com/nygard33

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

      The what?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

        When I had the decoder cards as a child, I could and did...but usually the line would move too fast for me to finish decoding what the inscription would say.

        But I did make out one, the inscription over the drinking fountains. Said something about the fountain of youth.

        My boyfriend tries to read the inscriptions sometimes, but gets the same problem I had back in the 90s




        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

          Originally posted by viewaskewniverse View Post
          The what?
          All the writing on the walls of the queue in IJA. It's in several places, so I don't know how else to describe it. Once you know it, most of the letters look just like the one they're representing. They say things about the ride, like Mara and the Chamber of Destiny.
          "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zip-a-Dee-Ay,
          Home sweet home is the lesson today."

          You're wrong, Brer Rabbit, why would I want to be home when I can be at Disneyland?!?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

            When the attraction first opened, and the lines were LONG, they handed out little "Decoder Cards" at the entrance to the Temple with a simple chart for each letter so that you could decode the messages as you walked through... (lines were slower, the queue effects were all working, and there was no FastPass line... "the Good Old Days").
            "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

              The 'Maraglyphics' are easily deciphered with the translation card. In fact, if one just looks at them long enough, it isn't too difficult to read them without a 'key'. There are several sites on the internet that have the full text from the queue walls and architectural pieces translated.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

                Originally posted by EvilQueen View Post
                When the attraction first opened, and the lines were LONG, they handed out little "Decoder Cards" at the entrance to the Temple with a simple chart for each letter so that you could decode the messages as you walked through... (lines were slower, the queue effects were all working, and there was no FastPass line... "the Good Old Days").
                Ah, I wish the line was still like that. Now if it's a long line, you have to wait outside for a long time, then run through the inside because they wanted to keep that clear for FP's.
                "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zip-a-Dee-Ay,
                Home sweet home is the lesson today."

                You're wrong, Brer Rabbit, why would I want to be home when I can be at Disneyland?!?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

                  There is also a book, "Disneyland Detective," that not only includes a photo of the decoder cards, but also the full text of each message on the walls as well.
                  It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!









                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

                    Originally posted by Gwendolen View Post
                    All the writing on the walls of the queue in IJA. It's in several places, so I don't know how else to describe it. Once you know it, most of the letters look just like the one they're representing. They say things about the ride, like Mara and the Chamber of Destiny.
                    Ah, OK, I gotcha. I figured out some when the ride first opened, with that decoder card they used to give out. I forget though what they said. Probably something like, "Use AT&T as your long distance carrier!" Heh.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

                      I still have my decoder card in a drawer in my desk. I studied it once and did pick up the similarity between Marabic and our own alphabet, but I dunno if I could read it on my own.

                      I like how the letter I is represented by an eye-like symbol. It's little quirks like that that make me love Disneyland all the more.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

                        Is it still possible to get one of these cards? We are going in a couple weeks and this is my wifes favorite ride. I would love to get my hands on one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

                          I am pretty sure that if you ask the cashier at the Indiana Jones shop, they will give you one of the cards.

                          or I guess if you really want one....

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/Disneyland-India...QQcmdZViewItem









                          (Sign up and search "Splashmoun10")


                          I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

                          Check out my latest TR (August 4th---August 11th) at Disneyworld!

                          Check out my latest TR (January 4th) at Disneyland!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

                            I've tried but the line is always moving.
                            "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

                            http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Can you read the writing in IJA?

                              Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                              The 'Maraglyphics' are easily deciphered with the translation card. In fact, if one just looks at them long enough, it isn't too difficult to read them without a 'key'. There are several sites on the internet that have the full text from the queue walls and architectural pieces translated.
                              I thought it was "Marabic" writing ???

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X