Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

For all you NorCAl MCers.......

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all you NorCAl MCers.......

I've made this trek many many times but we were wondering what would be the best time to hit the LA traffic? Usually we leave our house around 3 and make it down no later than 10:30-11. I guess my question is, do you think an extra 30 min either way would make a difference? Now I know that there isn't a great way to battle this beast but I do drive HWY 4 and 30 minutes on that can mean a difference of 1-2 hours. Thanks an advance for the advice. Oh yeah, i'll be leaving tomorrow morning.

Re: For all you NorCAl MCers.......

Originally posted by msmith View Post
    I've made this trek many many times but we were wondering what would be the best time to hit the LA traffic? Usually we leave our house around 3 and make it down no later than 10:30-11. I guess my question is, do you think an extra 30 min either way would make a difference? Now I know that there isn't a great way to battle this beast but I do drive HWY 4 and 30 minutes on that can mean a difference of 1-2 hours. Thanks an advance for the advice. Oh yeah, i'll be leaving tomorrow morning.
    We usually leave around 6 for a noon arrival. I know I won't leave past 8 and traffic gets worse, but I don't think I would shoot for a 8 am arrival. I think it really depends on the day. Mon thru Thurs is worse in the AM I have heard.

And I understand the 4 issue. Add to the normal issues, there have been a ton of wrecks this week on 4.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

It's been so much easier to go up the night before. If I leave around 5pm or 6pm in the evening we have found that it's smooth sailing in. That's just something that we have found easier.
      1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

I've never avoided hitting traffic somewhere along the way between Bakersfield and Anaheim. I think it is as inevitable as death and taxes.

Having said that, the best I've ever done was driving to Bakersfield one afternoon, and leaving there the next morning early enough to be at the gate for the open. Only one bad stretch, and it worked fairly well. We may try it again next time.

Comment

Originally posted by TicTocDragon View Post
          It's been so much easier to go up the night before. If I leave around 5pm or 6pm in the evening we have found that it's smooth sailing in. That's just something that we have found easier.

Yeah, lately we've been going down a day early just to relax and wake up ready to go. this time it just didn't work out due to work.

Comment

The past few years I have gone at many different times. The best time to arrive is after 9:00 P.M. It is much better traffic wise though I have still hit pockets of it. This last trip we arrived on Sunday Afternoon and that was pretty easy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by daannzzz View Post
              The past few years I have gone at many different times. The best time to arrive is after 9:00 P.M. It is much better traffic wise though I have still hit pockets of it. This last trip we arrived on Sunday Afternoon and that was pretty easy as well.
              This gets my vote. Coming from Sacramento, I've found that leaving at 2pm or later on a weekday (that gets you coming out of the grapevine around 7 or later) is the best bet. Of course there's always the chance of an accident or something causing traffic.

Comment

Though I have never gone this route, I have had a number of my fellow Norcal DL enthusiats recommend taking Interstate 210 and then Highway 57. The distance is longer but everyone says that there is very little traffic.
                The Mur

Comment

Coming from Sacramento I always leave Sacramento between 1 and 2pm and that seems to work well. I always leave Anaheim around 3 or 4 in the morning and find that works great for the trip back (especially if leaving on a weekday.

Comment

Yeah, we usually ask for a late check-in and arrive in Anaheim around 9 pm. Either that or get a REAL early start. 6 am is REAL early for us (I blame the kids for that, certainly not ME!!! hehe)

It's funny, I can't keep track of how many times that we have seen the fireworks as we hit the off-ramp. We usually pull over and watch them before we pull into the Hotel.

Adds a little excitement to get the trip started!

Have a safe trip down, and ENJOY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by themur View Post
                      Though I have never gone this route, I have had a number of my fellow Norcal DL enthusiats recommend taking Interstate 210 and then Highway 57. The distance is longer but everyone says that there is very little traffic.
                      We have been doing this as well. Unfortunately on our last trip there were two wrecks. One on the 210 and the other at the 57-5 exchange. This took us much longer than just taking the 5 straight in to DL.
                      Check out my flickr photos!

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMickey View Post
                        Yeah, we usually ask for a late check-in and arrive in Anaheim around 9 pm. Either that or get a REAL early start. 6 am is REAL early for us (I blame the kids for that, certainly not ME!!! hehe)

It's funny, I can't keep track of how many times that we have seen the fireworks as we hit the off-ramp. We usually pull over and watch them before we pull into the Hotel.

Adds a little excitement to get the trip started!

Have a safe trip down, and ENJOY!!!
                        The last two time we went we started of at (I'm not kidding) 4am. The kids sleep most of the trip and we get over the grapevine around 9am and have had no real problems with traffic (on a week day). Then we have a whole day to spend in the park if we want.

Stop looking at me like I'm nuts! My wife suggested it and it has worked out ok the last two times.

Comment

Where do you live that you take 4? I live in the East Bay and we just go 5 South for what seems like forever...

Anyway, I would say leaving a little earlier is probably better. I think regardless of which way you go and what time you leave you will hit some traffic.

Good luck though. I'm doing the same thing next Tuesday and we're going to try to leave at 2 pm for a late arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by msmith View Post
                            I assume you mean what's the best way to AVOID hitting traffic? The ONLY time I have ever NOT hit traffic driving down 5 was on a Sunday. We drove in Mothers day and usually once you hit Santa Clarita the traffic starts. We sailed through from Santa Clarita to Anahim in like 30 mins. It was incredible. We left San Jose at about 11am and were in the park by 8 until close. Any other time it's stop and go for at least 2 hours.
                            Janette

Comment

After many....MANY treks from SF to Anaheim, my suggestion is this:

Leave the night before, at around 7 or 8pm. It will take you about 5 hours to get to Magic Mountain (at the most). Then go ahead and get a super cheap motel room somewhere between Magic Mountain and the resort (usually around $50 depending on where you stop) and then wake up at 7:00am, jump back in the car, and drive the rest of the way to the park.

Most painless way to get to the park at opening.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X