That owl at the end of spash is starting to scare me.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • almandot
    Shubisha
    • Apr 2005

Re: That owl at the end of spash is starting to scare me.

I liked when the 2 owls were there together talking back and forth to each other.

With digital photography I don't see how they could not fix this. It'd take like a second for the picture to come out. The CM then has all the time in the world to approve it before they get from the splash to that screen. The issue before I believe was mainly trying to time it so it showed the right picture for the right log. This again should not be an issue given the digital age we live in. I could think of plenty of solutions for timing a log with a picture.

Comment

• RX-24
      Tour Ship Pilot
      • Feb 2005

Is it possible that they just quit using the owl thanks to those who make the photo section into "flash mountain"?? or "flip off falls?" I have seen more than one quest be approached at the end of the ride for rendering a photo unusable.
      REMOVE TAG BEFORE FLIGHT

Comment

• sediment
        Banned User
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by thejoshualee
        The following is a conversation between me and my 7 year old niece Matti.
        Well, we have found Harley's replacement for CM Matt: Introducing CM Matti!

Comment

• ttztotdca50
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist
          Splash Mountain is the only Attraction where Disney has the arrogance to actually sell Guests merchandise while they are still aboard the vehicles!
          ) LOL! That's so funny!
          "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Comment

• dchun2007
            MiceChatter
            • Jun 2005

i love the owl picture thing..i dont think of it as a way of selling merchandise on the ride..but rather viewing your and your friends' faces while going down....THE DROP!!! only if they would DANGIT GET IT FIXED... with the money and technology for stuff like REMEMBER and FANTASMIC and NEW RIDES..they SHOULD be able to fix something like that.. one thing walt was famous for waz his ATTENTION TO DETAIL and that's a PRETTY BIG DETAIL!
            Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
            [Skipper & Archaeologist]

Comment

• Disneylandrocks55
              Official Mice Chat person
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by thejoshualee
              The following is a conversation between me and my 7 year old niece Matti.

Matti: Why isn't that owl saying anything?
              Me: It used to show your picture here and the owl told you about it
              Matti: But WHY isn't it like that now?
              Me: I guess it broke and they havent fixed it yet.
              Matti: If I was in charge I'd still show the photo here, it's cool.
              Me: yep.
              Matti: also it would make the first animal you see an owl and the last animal you see an owl.
              Me: That makes sense
              Matti: but they would have to have the owl really talk.
              Your niece more common sense than Disneyland Management. :wave:

Comment

• DL_CRAZE
                Waiting 4 DCA Demolition
                • Mar 2005

I hate that owl, it has no character. To me, it looks non disneyish.
                "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Comment

• EpTxGuy
                  Newbie.
                  • Jan 2005

This doesn't sound like a hard fix, or even an expensive fix....I wonder what the problem is?
                  As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

Comment

• THE BOB
                    Sock Puppet
                    • May 2005

Splash Mountain really needs some attention when the fiftieth celebration is all done and over with. Yeah, fixing/aborting the owl/photo screen should be a major thing to get fixed. Also, I went a few weeks ago and all of the AA was shut off making a very creepy experience, so yeah, I think all kinds of things need to be done to Splash to bring back to par.
                    "They have the Swiss...."

Comment

• Captain Zissou
                      MiceChatter
                      • Mar 2005

You guys should go thru the ride with no audio whatsoever...that is one of the creepiest things I have ever seen. From a distance all the animals, especially the birds in the beggining look like they are whispering and plotting to do something to you and your boat...

Comment

• Scarecrow
                        • May 2005

From what I remember, the Owl and screen were a part of the old non-kodak, image capture system, the one that used SGI equipment.

The "new" system doesn't interface with it, and thus, they just turned off the audio and let it slide into disrepair.

-Scarecrow.

Comment

• Small Panda After All
                          Puppy Cuddles
                          • Mar 2005

I always just assume that they dropped it because the photos seemed to never sync up with the right logs. I don't mind the owl still being there. I don't even mind the owl opening his mouth withyout talking. The part that creeps me out is the weird pasted on vest. I mean, honestly, you'd think that if they were going to put clothes on him, they could have at least had the decency to actually dress the poor bird. Instead the costume is just slapped on the front like he's a freakin' paper doll!
                          The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

Comment

• aimster
                            Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Doea anyone have a photo of this owl they can post? I only rode the Disneyland version of Slpash the year it opened (1989), so I never saw this owl. It almost sounds like the one that used to be in the post show area of the old Walt Disney Story show at WDW.

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
                              We all need a Jiminy.
                              • Apr 2005

I saw that owl and it was not working in June. It is a downer when you know that something is supposed to be on that screen but it is blank. Makes you think that they forgot to take your picture.

Comment

• CaraGoCeltica
                                Jacob <3 Cotton Candy
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
                                I saw that owl and it was not working in June. It is a downer when you know that something is supposed to be on that screen but it is blank. Makes you think that they forgot to take your picture.
                                Yup and then sometimes you see spit wads and gum wads on that screen. YUCK :yuck: They need to take it out ASAP!
                                dMomDelta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑdMom

Comment

• pineapplewhipaddict
                                  DoleWhipDrea
                                  • Apr 2005

I Made A Difference!!!!

Here is my letter to guest communications on this subject:

Hi there!

First of all, I love how the 50th anniversary is being celebrated-you guys are doing
                                  a terrific job.

But I keep wondering...on Splash Mountain, at the very end of the ride, there is
                                  an owl that used to
                                  talk, and next to it, a screen would display your photo from the drop. Now, the
                                  owl just clicks it's
                                  beak at you, and the screen stays blank.

I've heard different reasons for why this does not really work anymore. I've heard
                                  that a system
                                  change messed things up with the photos...another time I heard that it just got
                                  too annoying that
                                  the photos would not come up with the corresponding log when it would pass. What
                                  is the real reason?

And if this simply does not work anymore, then why is the owl and screen still up
                                  there? The owl is
                                  creeping out guests (several correspondants have confirmed this), and it's also
                                  a bit of...bad show.
                                  Things go wrong all of the time, but the owl and screen have been like this for
                                  quite a while now (I
                                  had been hoping that during the last refurbishment, something would be done about
                                  it). Perhaps new
                                  dialogue could be created for the owl? Or couldn't the owl and the screen simply
                                  be taken out?

Whatever the reasoning is, please let me know.

Thanks for listening!

And then here is my letter back:

Dear Ms. *********:

Thank you for your e-mail to the Disneyland Resort.

We have an extensive Facilities team comprised of painters, electricians, carpenters,
                                  engineers and
                                  plumbers, just to name a few of the many facets of our operation. Our Facilities
                                  team works around
                                  the clock to maintain our facilities. All major attractions in the Park are refurbished
                                  on a yearly
                                  basis for safety, as well as to maintain a quality "show."

Due to technical reasons the owl and the display screen at Splash Mountain has become
                                  inoperative,
                                  but please know that there is current talk about what we have in store with this
                                  location. We have
                                  shared your comments with the appropriate management team so that they will be aware
                                  of your
                                  remarks. You are invited to contact us again in the near future to inquire on the
                                  status of the owl.

Again, Ms. ***********, thank you for taking the time to write. Your questions and thoughts
                                  are
                                  appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jerome Faille
                                  Disneyland Resort
                                  Guest Communications

OMG!!! :yea: I don't know, it just makes me feel like I helped.

I will "inquire" again about the owl in the future and let you guys know what they'll tell me.

Comment

• socal05
                                    • Mar 2005

Maybe we can merge 2 current threads, merge 2 problems and fix them both?

Why don't we ask them to move all the deteriorating animals off Rivers of America and over to the Splash Mt. drop? It can be the "drop of death", where old and uncared for animatronics go to die. Might be a good idea around Halloween?

or not...

Comment

• almandot
                                      Shubisha
                                      • Apr 2005

Took some intern 10 seconds to paste that response together

Comment

• pineapplewhipaddict
                                        DoleWhipDrea
                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by almandot
                                        Took some intern 10 seconds to paste that response together
                                        I doubt it. Whenever I've complained, they usually just copy a standard email response. When they personalize it, it is truth and you know that they've read it.

The first time it changed was the message before this, when I wrote to them about the Anne Bonny and Mary Read murals.

And have you ever seen them ask you to inquire again on something? They certainly didn't with the subs, ever.

I don't know, I think this has promise in it.

Comment

• wolfy
                                          Still wants to be a cat!
                                          • Jan 2005

I just finally noticed the darn owl, no big deal....you can hardly see him and he's completely still now.
                                          Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                                          it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X