• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mp3piratesavvy
    the subs were cool maan
    • Jan 2005

Find Nemo or Submarine Voyage?

Ok, so if Eisner is Eisner and doesnt want to spend 5 bucks to earn 10 bucks, and they dont do the nemo thing, will they just reopen the old ride? for the 50th?
  • Jerm
    Jerm is Food...Not Friend
    • Jan 2005

Nope Subs will never come back the way it was due to lossing some of the molds for the fish and such years ago. I would also not expect to see the subs open for atleast the next 21 months or so (not during the 50th). But I did hear from a little bird you may want to keep a eye out for some water level change oh say around March or so with no word till much later on........and remember who told you that;-)

J :monkey:
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Comment

• mp3piratesavvy
      the subs were cool maan
      • Jan 2005

Cant they just make new ones? I mean, it will cost $10 to do so, so they WONT, but couldnt they?

And how many times did they have to make new fish? Couldnt they make a mold out of an existing fish in the lagoon?

Couldnt they just re-start the ride as it is now? All of the pieces and scenery are still intact. If they started now, they could have the ride ready to re-start by the 50th, then close it down for a few years until they want to extensivly re-furbish it

Comment

• Jspider
        • Jan 2005

water is the ultimate solvent, the ride would look horrid now all the scenes would be eaten away from all the time spent in the water, it would look horrid and I don't think the upkeep in the subs is much better

the ride as it was, wasn't very impressive it would only annoy people that the new ride that has opend isn't anything new and looks like something from the 60's

from what we've been hearing I'd assume the Subs Project is actualy still going on rather well but that they don't want any construction taking place durring the 50th so we arn't looking at construction until after the 50th has ended

also the Subs were never planned to be a new attraction by the 50th the opening date looked at was always 2007 I believe (even if they'd started this year)

I don't think it'll be a simple overlay but in fact they'll have the show scenes outside the water and they'll be using a dry for wet effect similar to what Tokyo uses
        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• mp3piratesavvy
          the subs were cool maan
          • Jan 2005

Sure it wouldnt be 21 century, but this is what they should do

The week before May 5th, close the park.
          Start draining the lagoon as soon as saturday hits, close the park from Sunday-Saturday, the week before may 5th, and refurbish the Submarine Voyage. If they spent a whole week on it, I bet they could just refurbish the ride, to bring it back to how it looked in the last couple of years it was still open. Then re-open it on May 5th and Suprise EVERYBODY.

If they had subs in the water on the 50th anniversery, it would be a much better highlight then "we re-did a ride" and "we built a unfuturistic dark ride in Tomorrowland!"

Comment

• Jspider
            • Jan 2005

well Space refurb looks pretty neat and I would've been happy with Space just reopening so

and Buzz looks like a pretty futuristic darkride to me, it mostly focases on the Sci Fi aspects of the character with him being the "Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command" character rather then the one from Toy Story the only real thing is that the ride will be a bit childish I suppose? looks pretty fun to me though

refurbishing the Subs back to how they looked durring their last few years of operation is more work then what it may sound like, it would be hideously expensive especialy since they'll be tearing out all the old stuff after the 50th anyways

most people that arn't huge Disney Freaks would mostly go there and if they even remebered the ride would be like "I liked that? " or they'd wonder why Disney put in such an unimpressive new ride

I think there's more to the remolding too then what it sounds like, it would take tons of artists and engineers to study whatever's left of the old props and then try to create new molds and such for them

if I recall right the Subs closed mostly due to maintenance costing to much, why would it suddenly change to being a super cheap thing that they could do in a week?

Comment

• mp3piratesavvy
              the subs were cool maan
              • Jan 2005

It wouldnt be cheap. Nothing is cheap. If the park can STAY IN BUSINESS with these rides open, obviously it isnt too expensive to run. If they think its too expensive to run and they close it, Why are we still paying for it with the tickets?

If Disneyland went back to its Ticket book system, they wouldn't have closed the Subs because they have always been popular, despite the obsolete show effects. Its not "Hey that fish is connected to that rock", its more of the experiance of going in a relitively realistic submarine, seeing things out of the porthole, and knowing you could do it only at Disneyland (unless you go to Hawaii and go on one of those Atlantis submarine tours, and IM sure those arent too expensive to run)

But the new management knows that you have to spend a nickel to make a dime, not a penny to make a quarter. Thats where the old management went wrong.

If they re-opened the subs with show effects that were adequate, it would make tomorrowland have more then four rides, considering it takes up about half of the space Disneyland sits on

Comment

• Jspider
                • Jan 2005

now we're entering another relm of quality, it's not always how much $$$ you spend on doing something time counts too and how well you think things out

suddenly I'm reminded of an episode of the simpsons

Homer: "look marge we can do this the right way or the fast way"
                Marge: "well like any american I'd perfer fast"
                Homer: (lights fireworks in the drawer and blows it loose)

yes you have to spend money to make money and the bigger the risk generaly the bigger the reward (as the coin gambling slogan goes in one game I played once "you could win big or loose it all")

anywho opening the subs as are now would be a total waste of money as it would do nothing for them and many people would find it stupid that the ride was closed for so long only to reopen as the same old crummy looking thing and other people would wonder why the newest ride is so ancient looking

the best thing Disney can do at this point is save their money and make a very good and well thought out redo of the sub ride that upgrades almost every part of the attraction with new effects inside the subs new effects outside the sub and impressive AA's

Disney has set a precident of one uping itself, everything that has gone out is to be replaced with somethign that much better, if Disney doesn't live up to that then what do we have?

Pooh...

Comment

• mp3piratesavvy
                  the subs were cool maan
                  • Jan 2005

Still, they should have done that with the mistakes of Tomorrowland '98
                  If they could have simply NOT closed down the ride, kept the normal maintainance they normally would have, it would be adequate

Plus, if people were so concerned about how realistic the Submarine Voyage was, it would be very quiet in the que area

HOWEVER, there was ALWAYS a long line there, no matter what time of day. Its just one more ride that could be that ISNT as of now. They should refurbish the ride to its pre-'98 state, and re-open it promptly. THen after the 50th celebrations happen, close it down again and what they didnt do before, add in. This way they will have something to advertise for the big 50th hangover

Comment

• Jspider
                    • Jan 2005

actualy it was open after the 98 refurb but closed shortly after

the 98 refurb is in the past they can't fix the plethora of mistakes they made back thin, in retrospect alot of TL98 was a mistake

you realize also that the Subs were very attractive to look at and had low capacity which helped create a long line for it

the Subs will be viewed in a different light as a new attraction, people wont be excited that an old attraction came back they'll just wonder what the heck was Disney was thinking. the Subs never made people go to the parks anyways (it really is something that people remeber better in their memories)

they're going to put in something much better and having patence is the key

now I just hope those new effects in Space were worth the wait

if you miss the Subs download a video of it that's what I did

Comment

• mp3piratesavvy
                      the subs were cool maan
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jspider
                      actualy it was open after the 98 refurb but closed shortly after

the 98 refurb is in the past they can't fix the plethora of mistakes they made back thin, in retrospect alot of TL98 was a mistake

you realize also that the Subs were very attractive to look at and had low capacity which helped create a long line for it

the Subs will be viewed in a different light as a new attraction, people wont be excited that an old attraction came back they'll just wonder what the heck was Disney was thinking. the Subs never made people go to the parks anyways (it really is something that people remeber better in their memories)

they're going to put in something much better and having patence is the key

now I just hope those new effects in Space were worth the wait

if you miss the Subs download a video of it that's what I did
                      While that is true, I think that they should justify the mistakes and re-start the ride. But there are a lot of people who do miss the submarines. If they saw an advertisement about the submarines re-opening, they would bethere in a heartbeat, because people are nostalgic and will want to ride them again. Sure, it wouldnt create the press that a New ride would normally do, but it would be a temporary thing-just for the 50th. THen afterwards, they can put the overlay's and such. To think that the two centerpieces of the anniversery take place in Tomorrowland, there will still be plenty of people wondering "Hmm, what are all of those empty tracks and empty lagoons there for? Hey I remember! There used to be peoplemovers/rocket rods going on those tracks. And over there! I remember when they had submarines running there. They sure have been closed for a while now"

Despite the opening of buzz and re-opening of Space Mountain, Tomorrowland desporatly needs the return of the Subs BEFORE the 50th anniversery

Comment

• WDI33
                        Tour Ready
                        • Jan 2005

I remember backaround 1999 or 2000 the Sea Serpents as well as Mermaids and other mechanical Sea Creatures sitting out on shelves by the mechanical animation building backstage by the float warehouse... (They were next to the tiki room entrance canopy that collapsed and Indiana Jones's Giant Snake. I know they took alot of damaged pieces out and many of us cast members who worked on the new Autopia were able to fish out small pieces that were floating on the surface like seaweed and tethered fish that had broken loose. We even had a good sized fish Displayed in our maintenance/break room!

Comment

• Jspider
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by WDI33
                          I remember backaround 1999 or 2000 the Sea Serpents as well as Mermaids and other mechanical Sea Creatures sitting out on shelves by the mechanical animation building backstage by the float warehouse... (They were next to the tiki room entrance canopy that collapsed and Indiana Jones's Giant Snake. I know they took alot of damaged pieces out and many of us cast members who worked on the new Autopia were able to fish out small pieces that were floating on the surface like seaweed and tethered fish that had broken loose. We even had a good sized fish Displayed in our maintenance/break room!
                          yeah, I'd figured that with all these years the opportunity to bring back the subs ride had both come and gone

Comment

• mp3piratesavvy
                            the subs were cool maan
                            • Jan 2005

ITs not that, its that the previous management tryed, but decided not to bring back the subs when they found out how much it would have cost. But the newer managment knows that you gotta spend money to make money.
                            Even if the subs were back by the 50th, it wouldnt save tomorrowland. But it would fill in a empty space with more entertainment potential then just a lagoon that you stare at reministing the old days while waiting for the monorail (two of four) get back to the station.

Oh and I did d/l a video from the subs, AND I have a DVD all about them from www.extinct-attractions-club.com .

But it just isnt the same

Comment

• SpeMarX
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mp3piratesavvy
                              It wouldnt be cheap. Nothing is cheap. If the park can STAY IN BUSINESS with these rides open, obviously it isnt too expensive to run. If they think its too expensive to run and they close it, Why are we still paying for it with the tickets?

If Disneyland went back to its Ticket book system, they wouldn't have closed the Subs because they have always been popular, despite the obsolete show effects. Its not "Hey that fish is connected to that rock", its more of the experiance of going in a relitively realistic submarine, seeing things out of the porthole, and knowing you could do it only at Disneyland (unless you go to Hawaii and go on one of those Atlantis submarine tours, and IM sure those arent too expensive to run)

But the new management knows that you have to spend a nickel to make a dime, not a penny to make a quarter. Thats where the old management went wrong.

If they re-opened the subs with show effects that were adequate, it would make tomorrowland have more then four rides, considering it takes up about half of the space Disneyland sits on
                              West Edmonton Mall has a wicked Sub ride. It actually is a lot more fun then the Disney version was. For starters, it has real fish and the Subs are real Subs, not well made fakes like Disney's. I'll link yee to the malls website.

One stop destination for entertainment and widest variety of retailers with over 800 stores and restaurants, 12 world-class attractions, and 2 hotels.

Comment

• WickedQueen
                                Yes ... Wicked! ;)
                                • Jan 2005

IF the subs ever open back up again ... as a Nemo ride or anyother type of ride ... it won't happen till AFTER the 50th. Like in 2006, to give the guests someting to come back to Disneyland for after the celebration has ended!

Comment

• Giant Panda
                                  My Children's Father
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by SpeMarX
                                  West Edmonton Mall has a wicked Sub ride. It actually is a lot more fun then the Disney version was. For starters, it has real fish and the Subs are real Subs, not well made fakes like Disney's. I'll link yee to the malls website.

http://www.westedmontonmall.com
                                  At $11 per ride, it should be awsome ........

I'm not sure what I want to replace the subs. There is something positive about not doing Nemo, but they don't have to recast the old molds either. I would prefer to see something new and original, and I'm willing to wait for it.

By new I mean state-of-the-art effects, and by original I mean a storyline that is created from a clean slate ..... no old ride, no Nemo, no Atlantis, no 20KLUTS ....... tell an original story that no obscure game designer or one-time Reader's Digest contributor will end up suing the WDC for copyright infringement ...........
                                  "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                                  - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

• Gemini Cricket
                                    e komo mai
                                    • Jan 2005

I think if you think of this from a corporate standpoint, it'll make sense to you why nothing has been done with the subs in awhile.
                                    The ride was high maintenance. The ride needs many cast members to run it: sub driver for each sub, three to load you into the sub, three to help you out of the sub, one queue handler and a couple of greeters etc. The partially underwater ride vehicles themselves need to be maintained. (Anyone with a boat would probably agree.) The underwater animals and sets need to be monitored and maintained. (Think of it as one big fish tank. Yes there's chlorine, but I'm sure there's algae and mold and such to contend with.) If anything in the show scenes need repairing, it's an ordeal to fix. (Scuba gear, equipment underwater etc.) Rumor has it that the tunnel had structural problems that was a bear to fix. All of these elements I have mentioned cost money. But the ride capacity of the ride is really low and loading people in and out takes time. Not to mention, ADA, I don't know how this ride deals with wheelchair riders. The corporate orgy that runs Disneyland looks at that and says, 'Gee that's a lot of money and man power for one ride. Should we spend that much? But wait, since the ride closed, the attendance to the park went up. If they're fine with the park with no subs to flock to it anyway, why open it? We'll deal with the Disneyland fan cult via form letters and that'll be it. No biggie.'
                                    The attraction will not open again unless CM Matt comes up with a brand new idea for the subs, updated effects and basically the formula for a guaranteed hit. Until them, it'll sit and sit. Actually, in its current state, it doesn't look that bad. If they cleaned up the lagoon in areas that people could see from above, it would look like a nice little lake for the 50th. I'd rather not see construction walls and a dry sinkhole during the 50th.
                                    Ultimately, I'd like to see the subs return with a Nemo theme or something unique alogether with hints of the past attraction here and there.

Comment

• Moonliner
                                      Quality not quantity
                                      • Jan 2005

So the consensus is, no subs for the 50th. OK, I can live with that. I'd rather see it closed in the sake of building something new later on as opposed to a quickie fix to get something up for the 50th.

As an alternative, how about a simple cosmetic overlay? Add a few plants, maybe some ducks. Just spruce it up a bit so that it looks nice for the 50th and does not distract from the ambiance of the park. If you could come up with a nice (but not too expensive) effect or two to give it a tomorrowland feel so much the better. Perhaps Gantoo's ship "crashed" and sticking half out of the water or some of those dancing fountains...
                                      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Comment

• Gemini Cricket
                                        e komo mai
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Moonliner
                                        As an alternative, how about a simple cosmetic overlay? Add a few plants, maybe some ducks. Just spruce it up a bit so that it looks nice for the 50th and does not distract from the ambiance of the park.
                                        Totally. It would not be that expensive to do. Even if they had the subs sitting on their track in the water (with a sign saying 'coming soon' etc.), that would at least be something. Bring back a couple of the freakin' mermaids, waving to guests... something.
                                        At the very, very least they should at least get rid of the garbage floating in the water.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X