This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted Mansion story

It always bugs me that the Haunted Mansion is a 'retirement home for ghosts' because it just isn't that creepy and it isn't a real story. Here is how I imagine the story should be:
    There is a wedding supposed to take place in the mansion, and all of the guests (all 999 of them), mysteriously never return from it (except for three). Before the wedding, the groom discovers Madame Leota and she warns him about the bride and what she has done to past suitors. The groom gets cold feet and tries to leave, but the bride finds out. The bride cuts the grooms head off and makes sure no one else can leave the mansion. Either one of the guests or the bride's father hangs himself. Everyone is doomed to the mansion for an eternity of partying and waiting for the wedding that never occured. I know the idea has been given before, and it would be easy to tell the story as the ride progresses. It could be told through what the Bride, Madame Leota, and the Ghost Host say.

"To Serve Man... it's a cookbook!!!"

Ever heard of the dyslexic man who sold his soul to Santa?

Re: Haunted Mansion story

It always bugs me that the Haunted Mansion is a 'retirement home for ghosts' because it just isn't that creepy and it isn't a real story.
    I think you're in the minority around here.

Your idea is cool--probably one of the most coherent ones I've heard--but the thing is, to tell this story, you're suggesting the alteration of the Madame Leota and Ghost Host spiels. Eleanor Audley and Paul Frees are both dead, which means that two new voice-over artists would have to mimic them for new recording sessions. We've seen that Corey Burton does a great Frees imitation, but permanently replacing that masterful original spiel? Not a good idea, IMO.

The mansion's current storyline is tenuous, yes, but it works. No, you don't leave the ride feeling creeped out--but that's not how you're supposed to feel. You're supposed to be spooked in the first part of the ride, when the hauntings are more atmospheric and less explicit. Then the tension is broken when you realize the joke's on we mortals--it turns out the ghosts just want to have a good time. You're trying to reimagine the whole attraction as being a genuinely scary experience, which wasn't exactly the original goal of the attraction.

Anyway, just two cents from a big mansion fan who'd like a little more storyline, but not at the cost of the original performances.

Comment

Agreed. Leave the Mansion as is. Granted, your story is a good one, and one of the best I've heard. However, as said above, to do it would require much reimagining of the attraction. It's not going to happen.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
      HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
      ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
      FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

You'd probably really like the Disneyland Paris version of the attraction, which features a similar story about a jilted bride and has a very creepy tone. The light-heartedness found in the American parks is almost non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Disneylander View Post
          Agreed. Leave the Mansion as is. Granted, your story is a good one, and one of the best I've heard. However, as said above, to do it would require much reimagining of the attraction. It's not going to happen.
          I love everything about the mansion as it is, this is just something that bugs me. I know it will never change.

"To Serve Man... it's a cookbook!!!"

Ever heard of the dyslexic man who sold his soul to Santa?

Comment

I thought I read this exact same story somewhere on a Haunted Mansion info site. Wasn't something like this supposed to be the original storyline?
            "Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to me?"
            "Those of a devoted son, Wendy."
            "I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.

Comment

umm well i did a thread on a new HM movie and this person posted this totaly AWSOME story that wouldn't require any changes to the HM -i'll try to find it...

Comment

I think that the story is or should be like this

Originally Posted by Professortango
                The plot I always wanted to see was a variation upon the pirate/master Gracey story.

Act I:Constance is engaged to the wealthy sea captain Gracey. Before he leaves for a voyage, Gracey asks for his servants and housekeepers to look over her because her actions are worrying him. As soon as he leaves, she begins to have affairs with other wealthy gentlemen and the servants say nothing. Finally, the mystic Leota stands up against against her and tells her to honor her marriage. Constance tells Leota that she has it on good authority from one of her lovers that Gracey's ship went under in a storm and that all of his wealth and property belong to her now.

Act II: The house begins to become much darker. Constance has now taken on the fashion of marrying wealthy men and having the "misfortune" of them being disposed of by accidents. Finally, Leota can only laugh at her, informing her that Gracey was a wealthy pirate wich riches beyond her wildest dreams hidden under her very nose. Constance tries to get the mystic to disclose the location of the loot, but Leota remains faithfull to the true master of the house. Constance decapitates Leota and seals her head within her own crystal ball as an example to the other servants. She wants the treasure found.

Constance is asleep in her bed while the servants dig up the property in a terrible storm. She is awoken by a body next to her, stroking her hair. Master Gracey is home. Constance acts overjoyed to see her fiancee home at last and insists upon marrying immediately, and of course, sharing all their secrets. But Gracey is no fool and can sense something wrong. His servants are keeping things from him, and his mediam Leota is missing to give him advice on the issue. Finally, he discovers Leota's ball which comes to life before him and tells him all.

Act III: Now comes the revenge of Master Gracey. He invites all his friends and neighbors to his marriage party, and raises a glass to toast. A glass of poisened wine to help wash down the deathly wedding cake. But Constance hasn't gotten this far without being incredibly suspicious. She fakes the drink and collapses with the rest of the wedding party. Now Master Gracey goes to work on his servants. He seals his head butler into a casket and burries him alive. A few others he is less kind to. Constance recruits the few remaining servants to overtake Gracey and seal him in a chamber so she might still get him to reveal the location of his treasure. Master Gracey wakes to find himself in a chamber with no windows and no doors. Paintings line the walls. His wife taunts him through the walls, promising his freedom once he gives her the treasure. Finally, he goes mad, seeing the paintings stretch and change before him, the ceiling rise as if the room was actually stetching. He ends it all with a rope around his neck. The film ends with Constance frantically searching through the empty house trying to find the lost treasure. Eventually she ventures to the attic where she nottices a percular design on the window. The frame creates a map revealing the location in front of her in the graveyard, but it is too late. For she turns around to see the spirit of her dead husbands approaching her. She backs away in fear and falls from the attic window.

Now I know that this is much too dark for Disney to do, but it is a period story revealing the legend of the mansion as well as having it's fair share or ghosts and restless spirits. And yes I know, the scene in the actual mansion is a birthday party, but for the sake of the story, it works much better as a wedding reception.
                so i guess after that it should be like"madame leota then curses the mansion"(making it a retirement home for ghosts)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X