• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JiminyCricketFan
    We all need a Jiminy.
    • Apr 2005

Animation Building Changes for DCA

I look at the dismal exterior of the Animation building and I think, what were they thinking? :bang:

Second, the changes to the exterior is NOT ENOUGH. Here is my list:

1) First and foremost, animation deserves to be a whole "land" at DCA. Disney animation was almost totally created in California! It is the state of movie making. Disney is the most famous animation producer. To throw one building up to represent the core Disney contribution is STUPID!

2) The area or building or what ever they do should have giant animated figures in front. It could look at fun at the All Star Resorts do at WDW! That would attract kids. It would make for fun picture taking too. Add a few attractions with characters and you have a "land."

3) Kids and adults DO NOT WANT TO BECOME ANIMATORS! They want to meet animated characters and experience animated movies! Put them in 101 Dalmatians. Put them in Tarzan. Put them in Beauty in the Beast. I don't want to see drawings, I want to be in the Enchanted Castle and have candlesticks talk with me!

There is nothing fun or magical about watching people draw or watching kids attempt to draw. Why pay more than $50 to see that when they can do that at home?
  • goldenstate5
    • May 2005

Re: Animation Building Changes for DCA

Read Al's article...wish come true...

Comment

• aerinpegadrak
      Basking in birthday love
      • Jul 2005

Personally, I love the animator's workshop. I especially love the lobby with all the concept sketches and such. Of course, I also realize that I spend hours watching the special features on DVDs of animated movies, and I want to work for Pixar. So I do recognize that I'm a bit more interested than the average guest. I'm all for more animation-related stuff at DCA, but I think there should still be something where you get to try your hand yourself, to encourage the artists and animators of tomorrow.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Comment

• Disney Analyst
        Behind the refurb walls..
        • Apr 2005

They should devise a helmet, you wear it, and you could say walk through the castle, and talk with the candlesticks and broom

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
        ~

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
          We all need a Jiminy.
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by aerinpegadrak
          Personally, I love the animator's workshop. I especially love the lobby with all the concept sketches and such. Of course, I also realize that I spend hours watching the special features on DVDs of animated movies, and I want to work for Pixar. So I do recognize that I'm a bit more interested than the average guest. I'm all for more animation-related stuff at DCA, but I think there should still be something where you get to try your hand yourself, to encourage the artists and animators of tomorrow.
          You are right. Encouraging artists of the future is a good thing. (I just wish there was a Disney Animation Unit to hire them when they grow up! ) I think PART of what Disney could do is an Animation workshop or something like that. I just wanted to stress that Disney is missing a wonderful theme for a "California Adventure" and it is right under their noses! :sleep: I want to experience the magic and not find out how the magic was done. (which ruins the magic!)

Comment

• innerSpaceman
            Social Imagineer
            • Jan 2005

The facade of a building is hardly the thing that most draws people: it's reputation. Nothing is going to improve that rep if the stunning lobby alone, perhaps the most enthralling public interior space at the entire resort, does not get bodies in there just to gawk.

The current facade, also, is absolutely brilliant. If the ever-changing color patterns of the drawings inside the beautifully-shaped window panes don't draw anyone in (pun intended), then no amount of blinking lights and semi-functional neon will do the trick.

Changing the facade is a bad-enough move, but if they destroy the Lobby while trying to save the facility, they will have thrown the baby out with the bath water.

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
              We all need a Jiminy.
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by innerSpaceman
              The facade of a building is hardly the thing that most draws people: it's reputation...
              Well, I cannot really agree. There are many attractions that have such an intriguing facade that I wanted to ride or explore them before anyone knew what it was. Some examples are the Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, It's a Small World and Tower of Terror. Without knowing anything about the attraction, one would want to go in and explore. A facade IS part of the show.

Now as to reputation, Disney Animation still has a VERY good reputation. I cannot speak for everyone, but my first impression of the Animation Building is it looks like offices. It almost says STAY AWAY this is backstage. :yuck: I have seen more colorful imaginative theming at my local mall. Even the facade of a Disney Store looks more creative and inviting than the exterior of the current Animation Building. Even the attractive topic of Disney Animation cannot overcome the exterior.

Comment

• nish221
                Minion FOREVER!
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
                Well, I cannot really agree. There are many attractions that have such an intriguing facade that I wanted to ride or explore them before anyone knew what it was. Some examples are the Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, It's a Small World and Tower of Terror. Without knowing anything about the attraction, one would want to go in and explore. A facade IS part of the show.

Now as to reputation, Disney Animation still has a VERY good reputation. I cannot speak for everyone, but my first impression of the Animation Building is it looks like offices. It almost says STAY AWAY this is backstage. :yuck: I have seen more colorful imaginative theming at my local mall. Even the facade of a Disney Store looks more creative and inviting than the exterior of the current Animation Building. Even the attractive topic of Disney Animation cannot overcome the exterior.
                Agree completely.... irregardless of what you think about the lobby (which IMHO is completely awesome), the facade really is weak. The marquee is "ok" but the front
                (at the street level) has very little that attracts people in. In fact, that entrance could
                easily have been mistaken as a CM entrace! There's very little signage or alluring at that level.
                Even the rest of the facade is pretty blase. The "swooping" front (I guess like a reel of film) is interesting, but nothing is really done with that. No movie posters, no glimpses of movies, etc.

Nothing really to tell the passer-by what's inside or interest them.

BTW. The "Learn to draw" is probably exactly what they have at the MGM-Disney
                Studios in Orlando. It's somewhat interesting and kids like it (and they actually hire real artists for that job; mine was a former Studio animator). But on the other hand, I already know how to draw most of the characters, so it wasn't anything new (but I did pickup some pointers on Goofy.:-)

Comment

• aerinpegadrak
                  Basking in birthday love
                  • Jul 2005

I didn't even realize there was anything back there, the first time. I was wandering through On the Page and ended up in the lobby. The facade could definitely use a touch-up, just to make it a bit more obvious that there's an attraction there.

I think there's also a great opportunity for character meet 'n' greet in that gorgeous lobby. One time I took refuge from the heat in the lobby and discovered Aurora, Snow White, Cinderella, Aladdin, Hercules, and Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey just hanging out there without visible handlers and with hardly any guests. When Snow White's music came on, Mickey grabbed her and they started waltzing around. It was one of the most unique and wonderful things I've ever seen at the park, and is still one of my favorite Disney memories. There should be more stuff like that.

I would be all for a big giant land devoted to animation. Especially if they got some actual animators to hang out there, so maybe one of them could get me a job.

Comment

• Disney Vault
                    • Apr 2005

Do people not like the exterior of the animation building? I always that it was so cool.

Comment

• Larxene1959
                      On Autopilot
                      • Apr 2005

I think you're getting confused with the outside....

But as for the outside, I think it's okay, but they need SOMETHING to direct attention over there... (seven out of my 15 internet buddies who went to DCA didn't even know it existed!)

and put more scenes in where you get to put your voice into a Disney character!!!

Comment

• DL_CRAZE
                        Waiting 4 DCA Demolition
                        • Mar 2005

well, this is not the first time weve had changes

Disney Animation 2001:
                        Animation Courtyard
                        Drawn to Animation
                        Animation Screening Room: Back to Neverland
                        The Art of Animation
                        Sorcerror's Workshop

Disney Animation Late 2001:
                        Back to Neverland replaced with Walt: One Man's Dream

Disney Animation 2005:
                        Queue to One Man's Dream replaced with Princess Meet n' Greet
                        One Man's Dream and Meet n' Greet replaced with Turtle Talk

Future 2005 Changes:
                        The entrance to the attraction completely changed.
                        Animation Courtyard recieves Kiosk and other changes.
                        Art of Animation replaced with Disney Meet n' Greet.
                        Drawn to Animation replaced with Animation Academy

Im looking forward to the new entrance facade, but the Meet n' Greet and Animation Academy are just a waste.
                        "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE
                        __________________________________________________________

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
                          We all need a Jiminy.
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by aerinpegadrak
                          I didn't even realize there was anything back there, the first time....
                          Now I have been thinking about it. This remark is a clue. I now know why few people enter the Animation Building. It is on the Hollywood backlot. That is the answer! :lol:

Now I know what a backlot is. It is a series of real looking buildings that are really fake. In Florida, you can go on the DMGM backlot tour and see very realistic buildings that have nothing behind them. Universal does the same thing. Why would we assume that a backlot street is really real buildings? :blink:

Now when I first walked down the Hollywood Backlot for the first time, I remember encountering the Movie Theater. No, wait. It really is not a Movie Theater, but a wiener stand. This movie theater no one can enter unlike all other movie theaters. Oh, that's right! This is a BACKLOT which has fake facades.

Now, Disney has carried the fake facade theme through various buildings on the street. But Disney has fooled you. One of the real looking buildings that is supposed to be a fake facade is really a REAL building.

Now Disney management wonders why people don't go in this real looking facade building even though they have dancing performers outside (which makes it look EVEN MORE like a stage and not a real building!)

Now to fix this problem they propose to make the outside look EVEN MORE real! Does any of this make any sense? :bash:

Disney needs to figure out what their theme is on this street and stick with it. Changing it with various buildings you see on the street only creates confusion.

Comment

• drnilescrane
                            Having a Grand Day!
                            • Apr 2005

^^ The only REAL Animation Building

Comment

• aerinpegadrak
                              Basking in birthday love
                              • Jul 2005

The building looks real enough, you just wouldn't really expect to find an attraction there if you weren't looking, because there aren't really any clear indications of what it is. It's amazing inside, but outside, it's overshadowed by Off the Page.

(Of course, having said that, I haven't been to DCA since August, and probably won't get a very good look at it on Sunday morning, haha. I'll have to take a better look at it the next time I'm there.)

Comment

• Club 33
                                Know More Than You Should
                                • Feb 2005

I personally like the current building, especially at night.

:mob:

Comment

• Dustysage
                                  Man of mystery and
                                  MiceChat Administrator
                                  • Jan 2005

It would make a great enterance for a ride. Queue up in the lobby and then launch into Disney's most famous animated movies in a medium speed adventure type ride in the dark, with sharp twists, turns and a few sudden drops.
                                  MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                                  Save

Comment

• Disney Analyst
                                    Behind the refurb walls..
                                    • Apr 2005

^ now your thinking

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                    ~

Comment

• Jspider
                                      • Jan 2005

I have also thought animation looks good at night but I never really thought about how it doesn't really stand out mostly because I knew what to look for from being around the forums and such so long

making it more obvious would be a great step

I hope that when they change the facade over they can keep some of what worked for the old facade it needs to be noticable but cool lighting is always a must

as far as these additions go they all sound great

in my opinion animation doesn't need this whole ride a movie thing some people seem to think it needs. I like how it is they're really rounding out the offerings to a greater exploration into animation and creativity by offering many interactive elements rather then something you normaly just look at

you can obviously explore animated worlds with the socerers workshop and then you can even talk with the characters with Turtle talk with crush adding demension and an experience of being inside the animated world and interaction with it

then with animation acadamy they can also add the element of creating these worlds in an interactive fashion rather then just watching a movie that tells you about it (doing is much better then only seeing)

my only complaint is the meet and greet which does not belong in this type of setup the attraction doesn't need it meet and greets could go elsewere and the princess's just don't match DCA at all, they already have plenty of castle area and fantasyland in Disneyland they should stay there were they fit in, I'd like to see more animation oriented things put out then this
                                      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• aerinpegadrak
                                        Basking in birthday love
                                        • Jul 2005

Boo on scheduled meet 'n' greets in that area. The fun of my character experience at the workshop came from the apparent spontaneity of the gathering. I think standing in line to see a character takes all the fun out of it. I've always enjoyed the random, "Holy crap, it's ______!" moments at Disneyland. I'd love to see that area become a place where the chances are good that you'll see a character or two, but the characters would be different all the time and it wouldn't be scheduled. It would also be nice to see some of the lesser-known characters make appearances there.

That said, I'd hate to see the lobby turned into a queuing area for some cheesy ride. Then you have to keep the line moving. I love going in there and just standing in the middle and taking it all in. One of the problematic appeals of this area is that it's cool, dark, and quiet after being crowded and hot outside. One of the biggest reasons I like it so much is because it's such an open area where there are hardly any people. So while I think more people should experience the attraction, I like it deserted.

I've never seen it at night. The past few times we've gone to DCA, we've gone back to Disneyland after sunset to catch the evening entertainment. Since we're going to make a point of seeing the Electrical Parade sometime soon, I'll be sure to swing by and check it out.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X