Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would the California Zepher be?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What would the California Zepher be?

    Ive heard of "the California Zepher" and that it was going to be a transportation system for DCA in the furure but does anyone know the details of this thing? am i being un-clear?

  • #2
    Re: What would the California Zepher be?

    so nobody knows?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What would the California Zepher be?

      The California Zephyr is the train that is currently being used as the facade for the sunshine plaza side of Engine-ears Toys as well as Burrr-bank Ice Cream and the Bakersfield Bakery.
      The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

      On Track for Weight Loss!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What would the California Zepher be?

        The California Zephyr is the train that is currently found in DCA's Sunshine Plaza. It works as a facade for the Engine-Ears Toys, Bur-r-r Bank Ice Cream, and Baker's Field Bakery stores.

        I haven't heard anything about the California Zephyr becoming an attraction, though. If you have links, please share them.

        The California Zephyr as it exists now in the park, is rumored to be leaving during DCA's remodel.


        Edit- BassBone beat me to it

        Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What would the California Zepher be?

          I have a question about the Zephyr, actually, though. Was it an actual Western Pacific train cut up to make the facade, or did Disney fabricate it? I hope the latter, but I suspect the former.
          The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

          On Track for Weight Loss!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What would the California Zepher be?

            The locomotive is real, but it wasn't from the WP. The cars, I believe, are recreations.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What would the California Zepher be?

              Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
              The locomotive is real, but it wasn't from the WP. The cars, I believe, are recreations.
              That makes me feel slightly better about it. There are still plenty of F9s around. If they had actually cut up a domeliner, though, that would make me cry, I think.
              The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

              On Track for Weight Loss!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                OH ya i just saw the peak peek thread and thought "So is this thing the new transportation system for DCA that didn't show up in the concept art" but it turns out that its already there( i know what you mean) but why is everybody so broken up about this? i mean, it's cool looking but didn't people expect this to go for the retheming of sunshine plaza?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                  OMG look it up... this is a huge piece of California History... so sad that many will not take the time to do the research. I will post a link when I have a chance, not now though sorry.
                  "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

                  sigpic

                  "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                    If they retheme DCA's entrance to the 1920's, the California Zephyr would no longer fit thematically. The first dome cars didn't appear on passenger trains until just after World War II. The cars and livery of the Western Pacific train parked in DCA's entrance area is from even later, roughly the mid 1950's.

                    If they theme DCA's entrance to the 1920's, that train would be from 30 years in the future. It will have to be removed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                      Originally posted by techskip View Post
                      OMG look it up... this is a huge piece of California History... so sad that many will not take the time to do the research. I will post a link when I have a chance, not now though sorry.
                      I hope you're not including me in that assessment.
                      The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

                      On Track for Weight Loss!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                        Maybe they are brining back the View liner as the Zephyr
                        I was a few minutes away from Hong Kong Disneyland and didn't make it but got this cool picture though

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                          I wonder why the Western Pacific was utilized as a symbolic "California" train. Surely there were more widely-recognized trains. There perhaps isn't a train more symbolic of California than the Southern Pacific's Daylight--a red and orange masterpiece that ran up and down the entire state. Even the Santa Fe's Super Chief--a train Walt Disney actually rode--would have been better.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                            I really like the Ca Zephyer train facade. I'll be sad to see it go if it really does leave.
                            WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                              http://calzephyr.railfan.net/ or more specifically http://calzephyr.railfan.net/history.html for those who still have no clue what everyone is talking about and would prefer to be spoon fed their experiences! j/k but seriously it was a cool looking train.
                              "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

                              sigpic

                              "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                                There's no doubt it was a cool looking train--but so was the 20th Century Limited--a New York Central train.

                                To me, the train--aside from its name--is only tangentially a "California" train, operating on a lesser-known railroad. I just wonder why a more California-representative train wasn't used. My guess is the train name was important--after all, it had the state's name right there! I guess Santa Fe wasn't used because of the bad blood that existed between the Disney company and the Santa Fe in the mid-1970s. The SP's Daylight would have been a better choice, in my opinion, its colors reminiscent of a California sunset.

                                BTW, about the cars: I can't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall that the car "fluting" (the horizontal ribs or ridges on the car sides) was very accurately reproduced.

                                Some original CZ cars can be seen on the grounds of a winery on the Central Coast, where you can actually step aboard and tour them (I cannot recall the winery's name right now, though!)

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                                  I believe the train in the park used to be one of the actual engines,used for the original route, that runs from Chicago to San Francisco.

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Zephyr

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                                    Originally posted by CaptainTeach View Post
                                    I believe the train in the park used to be one of the actual engines,used for the original route, that runs from Chicago to San Francisco.

                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Zephyr
                                    As the Wiki article states, it is a replica.

                                    As I mentioned, the engine is real. However, I don't beleive it was even a Western Pacific locomotive--merely re-painted as one. Let me check my sources and get back to you.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                                      Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                                      There's no doubt it was a cool looking train--but so was the 20th Century Limited--a New York Central train.

                                      To me, the train--aside from its name--is only tangentially a "California" train, operating on a lesser-known railroad. I just wonder why a more California-representative train wasn't used. My guess is the train name was important--after all, it had the state's name right there! I guess Santa Fe wasn't used because of the bad blood that existed between the Disney company and the Santa Fe in the mid-1970s. The SP's Daylight would have been a better choice, in my opinion, its colors reminiscent of a California sunset.

                                      BTW, about the cars: I can't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall that the car "fluting" (the horizontal ribs or ridges on the car sides) was very accurately reproduced.

                                      Some original CZ cars can be seen on the grounds of a winery on the Central Coast, where you can actually step aboard and tour them (I cannot recall the winery's name right now, though!)
                                      I think perhaps the WP was used because it is a "fallen flag" and thus is less subject to licensing fees than a still extant railroad. I agree with you, though, that a Daylight set would have been better.
                                      The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

                                      On Track for Weight Loss!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: What would the California Zepher be?

                                        Originally posted by BassBone View Post
                                        I think perhaps the WP was used because it is a "fallen flag" and thus is less subject to licensing fees than a still extant railroad. I agree with you, though, that a Daylight set would have been better.
                                        Actually, both the Santa Fe and the Southern Pacific are "fallen flags" too--the Santa Fe having been swallowed up by the Burlington Northern, and the Southern Pacific engulfed by the Union Pacific. The WP was swallowed up by the UP in the early 1980s.

                                        The licensing fees charged by a railroad have nothing to do with whether a railroad is a fallen flag or not. The UP, as successor to the WP, can charge as much or as little as they want. And unfortunately, UP is one of the more rigorous enforcers of its intellectual property (They were recently charging--some say extorting--manufacturers of toy trains a royalty to use any artwork/logos of not only their railroad, but also any railroad that belonged to their corporate family--including the WP).
                                        Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-27-2007, 10:43 AM.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X