Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like the People Mover to Return ?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you like the People Mover to Return ?

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
    ....I would guess that Lasseter's pull at Disney is going to be weakened by the lukewarm reception that Finding Nemo has gotten. That combined with the huge cost of reopening the Subs. I'm sure there are a lot of suits at Disney who are seriously evaluating the cost/return numbers on that one...
    Personally I blame the so called lukewarm reception on the inherent design of the vehicles (cramped), pace of the attraction (slow) and sense of claustrophobia it brings people, rather than Lassiter's Nemo overlay. Keep in mind the place was in such a state of disrepair, a lot of money had to be spent to build infrastructure. I love the new look of the lagoon, even if once was enough actually riding it.

Comment

What the heck are you guys talking about, "lukewarm reception" from Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. The attraction looks very positive to me. Have you seen how long the lines have been this past summer, and even today? If the attraction is "lukewarm" I don't think people would willingly get in a 1:30-2:00hr line, even if they had kids. I would like to see where you got this statistic from because maybe you meant, "lukewarm reception because I don't like it."

Comment

Remember Al saying they were worried people wouldn't be able to get on the ride, it was going to be so massively popular they didn't know what to do. That never materialized.

By next summer it won't have the longest line, despite low capacity. So that is what I think he meant by 'lukewarm response.' I'd have phrased it a "warm response" but not a "slam dunk".

Comment

Hey - I would love to see it back too. But the next best thing? Buy your own peoplemover car on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEYLAND-ACTUA...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

The ride was a crowd eater, anything to get the crowds out of the congested tomorrowland is good.
            There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
            -Dr. Strange

Comment

Originally posted by InnerSpace View Post
              What the heck are you guys talking about, "lukewarm reception" from Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. The attraction looks very positive to me. Have you seen how long the lines have been this past summer, and even today? If the attraction is "lukewarm" I don't think people would willingly get in a 1:30-2:00hr line, even if they had kids. I would like to see where you got this statistic from because maybe you meant, "lukewarm reception because I don't like it."
              Mr Liver's corporate attitude shown on these boards time and again shows that Mr Liver is against big theme park investments. I love how he fails to mention that Disneyland as a whole was noticeably slower this summer than in the last two summers. I witnessed shorter lines across the board all summer, and Cast Member friends of mine noted that it was sometimes harder to get shifts because Disney was overstaffed anyway because the crowds they expected all summer never materialized.

But of course, the smaller crowds are a result of weak offerings (i.e. Submarine Voyage) and not because Disney's marketing campaign (Year of a Million Dreams) is significantly less enticing than the 50th Anniversary.

I think it's cute that Liver has defended the Year of a Million Dreams in the past and other lame offerings that Disney has rolled out.... but he calls Nemo's reception lukewarm. If anything is lukewarm, its Rasulo's management skills and his pathetic Year(s) of a Million Dreams.

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
              Remember Al saying they were worried people wouldn't be able to get on the ride, it was going to be so massively popular they didn't know what to do. That never materialized.

By next summer it won't have the longest line, despite low capacity. So that is what I think he meant by 'lukewarm response.' I'd have phrased it a "warm response" but not a "slam dunk".
              Right, I agree. The Submairne Voyage is definately not a blockbuster, but I'm not entirely sure it was ever expected to be. But for Mr Liver to say that it was "luke warm" and to imply that the ride is a failure is impressively laughable.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

i will forever be a peoplemover fan, bring it back
                Is this haunted signature
                actually
                stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
                Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
                also known as...
                Dominatrix of Randomness

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
                  Right, I agree. The Submairne Voyage is definately not a blockbuster, but I'm not entirely sure it was ever expected to be. But for Mr Liver to say that it was "luke warm" and to imply that the ride is a failure is impressively laughable.
                  The ride is a failure, because the cost of building it does not correspond to any meaningful increase in attendance.

If you build a ride that cost the same as Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, or the New Tomorrowland, you expect to see an increase in attendance.

The whole reason the Subs had to open this year, was to counter the downtime expected after the 50th. It didn't do that.

All that being said, If the Submarines couldn't do it, I have no idea how anyone would expect a return of the PeopleMover to be a big draw for attendance.

Comment

Does the PM even fit into the theming of Tomorrowland anymore?

Sure, perhaps when it was installed the PM was Great in TL. But as it's really not a futuristic idea anymore. does it even belong in TL? I would say no.

I think people want it back for the nostalgia but forget the themeing....

Lets not bash DCA for lack of theming when we want the PM back in tomorrowland.
                    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

if the people mover returned , we will upgrade all our annual passes to premium!
                      --
                      http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

Yes bring it back. I want to go on the grand circle tour. Plus it depresses me seeing that track in a state of disrepair when passing over it in the monorail. Its such a waste of space now.... just sitting there lifeless, collecting leaves for nearly a decade.

If no peoplemover, just upgrade the track and make rocket rods as good as it should have been.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
                          The ride is a failure, because the cost of building it does not correspond to any meaningful increase in attendance.

If you build a ride that cost the same as Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, or the New Tomorrowland, you expect to see an increase in attendance.

The whole reason the Subs had to open this year, was to counter the downtime expected after the 50th. It didn't do that.

All that being said, If the Submarines couldn't do it, I have no idea how anyone would expect a return of the PeopleMover to be a big draw for attendance.
                          The reason the ride cost so much was because it had been sitting rotting for years. Of course it was going to cost a lot to bring it back.

The reason the subs don't have the drawing power that TDA hoped for is because they aren't a new experience. I think it's completely irrational for Disney to think that the Subs would draw crowds similar to Indiana Jones Adventure or Splash Mountain. Those were entirely new attractions from the ground up. The subs on the otherhand weren't. They'd been around for decades and while people like them, they aren't going to plan a Disney vacation just to see a ride they've already seen - even if it was substantially changed. It's still the same general attraction, thus the marketing campagin: "The subs are back!"

I similarly think it's irrational for Disney or anybody else to think that bringing the PeopleMover back will result in an influx in attendance. It won't, and we all know it. But that doesn't mean that the Subs are a failure or that the Peoplemover would be a failure. As long as people are riding it and there is a good, healthy line for the attraction, then I think its safe to say the ride is a success. The same can't be said about Winnie the Pooh, or the remnants of Tomorrowland '98 like Honey I Shrunk the Audience or Innoventions.

The Subs had lines consistantly 60mins-3 hours all summer. Considering the attraction was practically a walk-on when it closed in '98 due to its dated and unrefurbished state, then I think 60mins-3hours is pretty good.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I believe the people mover track should be utilized, not the attration itself. Although my memories are a bit vague on the attraction, from what I understand the attraction itself was quite simple, which is cool; yet i dont think it may fin in todays marketplace. Unless it was re-done in a manner with futuristic touches here and there as should be done with all of tomorrowland. The open spaced attraction you all knew and loved would never return given that DOSH would never approve of having wide open "windows" without some monitred restraint system as well as taking in the consideration of unmannered people throwing out trash as they do on the regular highways. The track has potential, the attraction itself, i feel....not so much...
                            You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Comment

Originally posted by ravencroft View Post
                              if the people mover returned , we will upgrade all our annual passes to premium!
                              Promises promises, you said the same thing when we brought back the submarines and now they just sit in your toybox and you hardly ever place with them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Junthor View Post
                                Does the PM even fit into the theming of Tomorrowland anymore?

Sure, perhaps when it was installed the PM was Great in TL. But as it's really not a futuristic idea anymore. does it even belong in TL? I would say no...
                                No, check out this blurb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_mover

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                                Walt Disney, when he and his Imagineers were working on the new 1967 Tomorrowland at Disneyland. The name was used as a working title for a new attraction, the PeopleMover. According to Imagineer Bob Gurr, "the name got stuck," and it was no longer a working title.
                                The world's first airport people mover was installed in 1971 at Tampa International Airport in the United States. APMs have now become common at large airports and progressive hospitals in the United States....
                                These have been operating in hospitals and airports since before many of us were born.

Comment

Amen, to NO return of probably one of the most boring rides at Disneyland. What they need to do is make the needed changes to the track and return ROCKET RODS.
                                  I understand people get really Old School about the people mover, but with the exception of the Tron segment it was not a very fun ride.
                                  Dave

Comment

I just went on the submarine ride and I loved it. Mr. Laster thanks for bringing back one of the most unique attratctions out there, and my second favorite next to space moutain!
                                    Dave

Comment

Yes we all wan't it to return

Comment

I woudl love to see something on those tracks, but it woudl have to be the right something. A generic people mover that just basically goes in a circle probably will not sustain riders to keep it open, and its not really futuristic. If they can work out a great ride that fits in TL and utilizes the tracks either with a second stop or a true "ride" experiecne I am all for it.

If they can't put something great up there, I woudl rather the tracks stay empty as a memorial to once was.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

I am hoping for it to come back in the next couple of years (which I think is possible) with restructuring of the track and so forth. I mean, they will do something to it seeing as they've kept it up for what? 6 years after Rocket Rods closed? They MUST be thinking of something. I want it back and I think it will. With the low capacity of the subs it'll be great to have a high capacity attraction like the PeopleMover up in the sky.
                                          -Jack :geek:
                                          Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X