• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is for people who HAVEN"T won a 'dream'

I want a dream fastpass...I'm so sad.

Comment

I just noticed this thread and I had to comment with my honest "opinions" ...

Since I, and my sister, purchased our AP's in May we have gone to D-Land at least 35+ times. Typically we are there for a large majority of the day, if not the whole day. In all the times we, sometimes my mother accompanies us too, have been there we have never won anything from the YOAMD celebration.

Someone previously noted that the "Honorary Citizen" buttons may be part of the YOAMD celebration. If so, we, my sister and I did receive these buttons from a cast-member who was sweeping/cleaning the NOS Train Depot. He simply asked if we would like a button and we accepted. Not but three seconds later was a loud, obnoxious woman behind us yelling, "Can I get one of those?" It kind of took away from the special feeling that had just floated over my body. But, I proudly displayed my button.

But, back to the widely known YOAMD prizes/dreams that are normally passed out at the parks. Does it make me a little upset that I/we have not won anything? Yes. Why? Because as previously noted, several times, it appears that the "prizes/dreams" are awarded primarily to families. Granted I am in my late twenties, my sister in her mid twenties, and my mother in her mid fifties! Not the idealistic Disneyland "family." But we should not be excluded simply because we do not appear to fit into Disney's stereoype of who should be receiving these "dreams."

Which leads me to ... I have a pretty good idea of what the "Dream Cast Members" or "Wish-Granters" or "Prize-Patrolers" look like. I believe I know where most of them get their surprise orders and vacate from. And just yesterday my sister and I were enjoying a cup of coffee at DL when we noticed a few carrying there order sheets, checking their watches, and heading off to their coordinating rides/spots. My sister said, "Let's follow them ... Come on let's just stalk them." I told her, "No." Why? Because if we tried and were specifically not chosen, I'd feel like I'd confirm my previously mentioned YOAMD Disney stereotype. And if we'd won, I'd feel like we cheated the system and the prize wouldn't feel like we were randomly chosen.

Now a couple people have also mentioned multiple winners or even those trying to cheat the system. So, this is the most interesting part ... Yesterday when my sister and I were waiting for the Mickey and Friends Tram there was a father behind us with three small girls, maybe about eight or nine in age. One or two must have been his own and the addition(s) their friend(s). Anyways, he was talking to them about how cool the "Super Fast Pass" was and that he really wanted to get it again. He continued about how they needed to spot one (The YOAMD Cast Member) who was giving them out and have the girls "sweet talk" them. He rambled on about how they should say that they loved DL and loved coming here, about how much fun they have, about how their dad took them out on this special day, about how they tell all their friends about how awesome this place is, etc. And the one little girls says, "So you want us to lie?" He immediately was like, "No. I am not telling you to lie. Just tell them about how much it means to you to be here. Really let them know how much you love Disneyland!" I was so floored that this guy was pep-talking his kids/friends' kids to "win" these YOAMD Fast Passes! Come on!?!?!

IMHO ... I'm just kind of over the whole YOAMD promotion because I feel it's a little biased. I would love, love, love to be the Grand Marshall of the parade. Not to mention the night's stay in the Penthouse included with it. But, no way is Disney going to give it to the single chick with no husband or kids and her single sister with no husband or kids!!!
      Sparrow, Johnson, Skellington, Black, White, ... Daniels. I just love Jack's! :blush:

P.S. You can always visit me on MySpace at: http://myspace.com/miisvegas.

Comment

^Great post Pixy. Sometimes it does have a tainted feel to it. Coaching kids to win a prize is pretty bad, it was nice that the kids mentioned realized it was unscrupulous. I do see people who really appreciate what they have won and it does look special. While I'm not a big fan of the promotion, it does serve its purpose in most cases.

Chad

Comment

I am perfectly happy to go to Disneyland, and/or Disney World, and not win any of the YOAMD prizes. I certainly wouldn't waste my time stalking the dream givers. Am I jealous? Absolutely not. I was in Disneyland in April, and I never saw anything, or anybody from the dream squad. If I come back from my December vacation at Disney World without a gift from their dream squad, that's fine also. I am just happy to be going on vacation, and having a good time.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

When we won out Fast passes. it was me and a buddy ending a ride.
            All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by InnerSpace View Post
              Anyway, those of you who have gone to a Disney Park and haven't won anything, doesn't it just make you angry everytime you go and you see dozens of people with the "dream fastpass" and it makes you just want to go to one of them and say, "Let someone else have it for once!" and then take it?
              lol...take a breath, get a churro, take a seat and enjoy the park.

People who are have your mindset aren't really concerned about the prize, it's the jealousy of someone else winning.

IMO you sound like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

Comment

When I go, it's with my family and it is safe to say that we look like the typical family they are looking for. Me, my wife, and 2 kids (3 and 1). Never won a thing. I've never even seen the dream CM's or whatever they are called. I couldn't even tell you what the prize ears even look like. I don't care. I'm there to have a good time with my family. I don't need some prize to feel special or lucky. The fact that I'm the the happiest place on earth with the people I love is enough.

It still very unclear to me why micechat hates this promotion so much. It just a promotion. In the grand scheme of things does it really matter? So you don't win. Big deal.

Comment

I am always in the park at opening, and we are what is considered the typical winner, a family...Mom, Dad, boy and Girl and yet we have never won (and my kids are super cute if I do say so myself). We also spend most of our morning in Fantasyland or NOS (whcih seem to be the hot spots). The problem with the promotion is perception. Realizing how the promotion works, there is little chance of us winning on any given day...its a right place right time thing. I don't get sad that we haven't won, and I still get excited about the slim chance that one day we will.

We don't go to the park for the promotion and thats the difference between this and other promotions I think. The slim chance of winning isn't enough to draw crowds in like the dream machine or other promotions in the past were. The promotion is too vague.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

I have yet to win the "dream" but in all honesty I haven't stalked the Dream squad either.

I'm just there to have fun in the parks. If I win, I win, If I don't win, Oh well.

Comment

I had been going to Disneyland about once a week since October of '06, and it wasn't until July of '07 that I won my first prize. I took my Dad (last time he was at Disneyland, DCA was still a parking lot) for his birthday as a surprise - on our way to Frontierland I spotted the Dream Team inside the tunnel that connects Main Street and Rancho Del Zocalo ... and we both got Dream Ears. Those Dream Ears are special to me though because my Dad and I had a great time at Disneyland full of memories.

The next time I got something was a few weeks after that, it was the free PhotoPass picture with button as I left the Tiki Room ... and my final item was the Dream Lanyard with pins. I got the lanyard during the Gay Days Quest Sunday, so a good bunch of MiceChatters and myself got them while getting out of the Tiki Room. Although since I had already gotten the pins through trading, and the lanyard from a great MiceChatter ... I am giving the one I won to another MiceChatter who hasn't won anything.

If anything this proves that going to Disneyland is about having fun, not waiting to see when you will get a dream prize. I never really cared for the promotion, still don't, but every time I won was because I was having fun with family and friends.

Comment

I may be in the minority but I get excited for others when I see them winning.

Comment

I too go to Disneyland because I love it! It is one of my most favorite places to be. And everytime I go I enjoy myself ... in some way, shape, or form. I definitely do not go to Disneyland for the "chance" to receive a YOAMD prize. I go to have a good time!

For those who have had the opportunity to win a special dream or prize ... I am happy for them. One of the neatest things, is seeing the pure excitement and joy on someone elses face, especially a child's! I too would be excited seeing those individuals win, but I have not experienced that.

In terms of what I have personally seen in the park and those I have seen with Mickey Ears, Lanyards, Fast Passes, or as the Grand Marshall ... it appears to be a lot of families. And I can understand the frustration!
                          Sparrow, Johnson, Skellington, Black, White, ... Daniels. I just love Jack's! :blush:

P.S. You can always visit me on MySpace at: http://myspace.com/miisvegas.

Comment

Originally posted by InnerSpace View Post
                            ...Although I know people who have won something will post and gloat.

Anyway, those of you who have gone to a Disney Park and haven't won anything, doesn't it just make you angry everytime you go and you see dozens of people with the "dream fastpass" and it makes you just want to go to one of them and say, "Let someone else have it for once!" and then take it? This makes me sound like an obsessive, but it's like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, you want it so much, but only so many people get it and the other million people in the park don't. I can probably care less about the dream ears, because, let's face it, the ears are not gonna get us on the rides faster or get us great seats for some of the nighttime shows. It's the fastpasses and/or Mickey Penthouse we want.

I go to the parks quite often alone. I find it kind of dumb and somewhat stereotypical that they almost always give the prizes to families, and more often families of 3 or more.

That's my rant, but it's for the people who haven't won anything yet. I can't be the only one who get's jealous, resentful, and and angry everytime I see another family of 15 get fastpasses, ears, etc; especially those of us who've known about this promotion since before it began.
                            Up until a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't won anything either. And I was not jealous, resentful or angry. C'mon - what makes you so special? Why are you entitled to win something? It's like any giveaway promotion - not everyone will get something. I go to Disneyland because I want to have fun. If I win anything, it's a bonus. It's like going to Vegas. You can't go with the attitude that you have to win something, or you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

And for the record - when I got a pair of dream ears there was no way you could mistake me for a typical family of any sort. I'm a short asian girl who was with two tall, skinny white guy friends.

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                            lol...take a breath, get a churro, take a seat and enjoy the park.

People who are have your mindset aren't really concerned about the prize, it's the jealousy of someone else winning.

IMO you sound like a toddler throwing a tantrum.
                            Hear hear.
                            She did it!

Comment

it makes me mad too. but, i guess someone else would be mad if i had one, so i can't complain too much...

although i still will!

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                                Fishbulb and I have been to the parks over a hundred times (WDW and DL) since the Years of a million+ Dreams started. We've never won anything. But we have lots of friends with families (good looking people with kids) who have won multiple times.

I'm sure that Disney isn't discriminating against us, but it does seem strange when I see the same people winning over and over again and we never do.

Overall, I think the Year of a Million Dreams is a poor campaign - hard for guests to understand and just increases the level of inequality at the parks. With special treatment for people with Fastpass, People with Dreams, People with tour guides, Disneyland is becoming increasingly less equal for all. At least that is the way they are making it seem for the thousands of people who come to the parks every day who don't know how to work the system or who don't win a dream.
                                Dusty I feel the same way about this lame campaign. If they want to give things away I think the Dland 35th anniversary got it right in that department.
                                Get a ticket when you walk into the park, some are winners some are not. Either way anything would be better then the current system IMHO.

Comment

I have never won anything even though I have been to the parks many times. I personally think that the contest that had the card that you received which you had to verify if you won something was much more fun. By receiving the card, you BELIEVED it was possible that you could win something and have an equal chance to win. When people pass out prizes, there is always the possibility that winners are choose by appearance and not randomly.

Comment

Count me in as somebody who has gone around a hundred times since the contest began, and hasn't won anything yet. I am not angry about it, or concerned in any way. I get to go to DL pretty much whenever I want. I've never felt resentful of other people who have won just because I didn't.
                                    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

i can understand where the OP is coming from. i live in northern california, so it's kinda hard to just "drive down there". me and my husband don't have any kids (but if i could i'd bring my cat with us), but we're big disney-fanatics. it does seem that the "better" prizes are going to families with kids. that, in and of itself, isn't fair. i can totally understand wanting a specific "look" for the winners, but it doesn't have to be that way all the time. since the YOMD started, we've been to DL/DCA once. we (obviously) didn't get dreamed. my husband's parents went once (with their nephew) and got dreamears. (when they got back they were given to us..lol) it makes it seem like only the people with kids win the prizes. and that's just not fair. we got there first thing in the morning, and left once the park closed. if they did the same thing as the 35th anniversary (i think) where you at least got a ticket showing you were there.. at least you got something. it might have just been a piece of paper. but it showed that everyone had an even chance.

even saying that, i do plan on asking santa (at both parks) if we can be dreamed. (hubby's b-day/bringing friends who haven't been to DL since 97) hope my wish comes true!! =P

Currently obsessed with Grumpy Cat, pro wrestling, and Disney.
                                      Been to Disneyland more times then I can count...
                                      Lover of Dole Whips and Bengal BBQ
                                      Massive wrestling fan.. have Undertaker & Edge's logos tattooed on my shoulders

Comment

...all i want is a pair of ears.

Comment

• Re: This is for people who HAVEN"T won a 'dream'

I am also in the have not won group.

I would much rather have them spend the money on a promotion that benefits everyone or even doing the giveaway as you enter the park so that you know you had your chance and just didn't win instead of just wondering.

Skawt
                                          Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
                                          ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X