Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking older folks to the park. (80 yrs.old)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travelmom
    replied
    Re: Taking older folks to the park. (80 yrs.old)

Oh Please don't hesitate because you think of the money in terms of attractions!
    Your Grandpa will have a great time, and it will give you a chance to enjoy the park in a different way. It really isn't about just the attractions. Just a great day with your Grandpa! Do go.

Leave a comment:

• snappy
    replied

To all who posted to my question, Thank You very much! Looking into taking my grandpa 85 soon! He probably will put up a fight but I think he'll like it!

Leave a comment:

• codelyokorox
    replied

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    If they really want to encourage that they should offer complimentary or significantly reduced admission.

Seniors of that age are probably a relatively light incremental demand on the attractions and probably have a secondary effect on family members who might be inclined to spend time with them rather than riding but encourage additional family attendance for the companionship.

And they still have to eat and contribute to other park consumption.
    I agree.

My Grandma went with me a long time ago, and we rode most of the rides (I'm pretty sure we did mellow ones... And Roger Rabbit...), but that's cause she wanted to do stuff with me and I wanted to go to Fantasyland. This was also about ten years ago, when you could move around easier.

Senior discounts would be a great reason to bring your elderly friends!

Leave a comment:

• JeffYardDog
    replied

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Disney should consider offering complimentary wheelchair rentals to older guests. That policy would be a nice invitation to visit Disneyland for many seniors.
    If they really want to encourage that they should offer complimentary or significantly reduced admission.

Seniors of that age are probably a relatively light incremental demand on the attractions and probably have a secondary effect on family members who might be inclined to spend time with them rather than riding but encourage additional family attendance for the companionship.

And they still have to eat and contribute to other park consumption.

Leave a comment:

• PragmaticIdealist
    replied

Disney should consider offering complimentary wheelchair rentals to older guests. That policy would be a nice invitation to visit Disneyland for many seniors.

Leave a comment:

• Thisguy74
    replied

I totally agree with this list
    Originally posted by IMAGINE View Post
    List of To-Dos
    DCA
    -Soarin Over California
    -Muppets 3D
    -Its Tough to Be A Bug
    -Heimlichs Chew Chew Train
    -Animation Building
    -Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular
    -Golden Screams

DISNEYLAND
    -Mainstreet Cars
    -Submarine Voyage
    -Honey I shrunk the Audience
    -Small World
    -Mickeys House & Meet Mickey
    -Pirates
    -Haunted Mansion
    -Mark Twain Riverboat
    -Jungle Cruise
    -Enchanted Tiki Room

I think thats about it that i got off the top of my head...they are all pretty easy going, and the shows just feature loud sound....cool?
    And be aware that the music groups really appeal too! The Disneyland band, Side Street Strutters, and Dapper dans really are a hit with folks. I took my Uncle who has 2 bad knees to Billy Hill and he ended up going back a second time. He really got a kick out of the Miner 49'ers when the rest of the group went on Soarin' for the second time.

Enjoy the time together no matter what you do. D-land is more about time with friends than it is about how much you paid.

Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• QuietViolet
    replied

We took my VERY frail (on oxygen and can't walk) grandmother to Disneyland for the 50th. She wanted to stay in the GCH and see Disneyland all dolled up. She lived in Orange County when Disneyland first opened, and went during its first weeks, and is a Disney lover (as most of our family is)...
    We took her to the park and she had a BLAST. She only watched the Tiki Room Show, but she just loved seeing the park and the hidden 50's and people watching, and feeling the magic. She also cried during the fireworks which touched all that were around her...
    Take him! He'll have a GREAT time, and it will be a great memory for all present.

Leave a comment:

• dsnylndmom
    replied

Originally posted by JJ61 View Post
    Take him. Price of admission is worth not having to say, "I wish..." You will have a ball.
    I couldn't agree with this sentiment more. Take him!

Originally posted by Junthor View Post
    Disneyland is more than just Rides....
    Again, can't agree more, even my kids agree! (sigline)

Leave a comment:

• madxdog
    replied

We're taking my mom in December. Age 84, plus or minutes a few (she still lies about her age). She can walk, but not far nor fast, so we;ll have a wheelchair. We're coming to Disneyland rather than WDW because of the smaller footprint and proximity of hotels to DTD to parks. I don't think she'll do space mountain or Indy, but certainly endless laps on jungle cruise and small world and HM and pirates. Hopefully soaring, to.

Leave a comment:

• royaldisneyfan
    replied

I wish I could take my grandparents to DL. But ever since 9/11 my grandma won't even set foot in an airport. We're really trying hard to get her to go this year, because she has the same birthday as Mickey.

Leave a comment:

• DISNEYJUNKIE
    replied

you are all wonderful people who take your elderly grandparents, parents, friends to DL. I am helping raise a couple of Disney babie junkies and I can only pray that when I am that elderly person that they too will take me to Disneyland !!! If not one of you may have to take me lol!

Leave a comment:

• patch
    replied

This past summer my family took my grandparents, 80 and 82 years old, to Disneyland. It too had been years since they last went and it was very special for them to be with their kids and grandkids. We just took it easy the entire day, covered all of the shows and the easy-going rides like "it's a small world," Pirates of the Carribean and The Tiki Room. The Disneyland staff is SO accomodating to guests in wheelchairs. We even had a cast member lead us down Main Street to a designated section for handicapped viewing during the parade. I hope this helps you and enjoy your time at Disneyland.

Leave a comment:

• Morrigoon
    replied

Yeah, I agree with what others have said.

Disneyland is more than attractions. Someone can have a very good time in the park without ever setting foot in a ride vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• penguinsoda
    replied

Originally posted by JJ61 View Post
    Take him. Price of admission is worth not having to say, "I wish..." You will have a ball.
    Exactly. There comes a time when you have more days behind you than you have in front of you, and any time could be the last time...

Originally posted by Junthor View Post
    Yes! So maybe they won't want to ride Thunder, but there are a lot of shows that you can see with them, stores to wander through, mellow rides or just take an extra long lunch break and relax and spend some time visiting with your grandfather in the wonderous, magical atmosphere that is Disneyland!

Leave a comment:

• speederscout
    replied

I LOVE taking my 92 year-old grandmother, and she loves it, too (she just renewed her AP a few months ago). She gets around the house using a walker, but I push her around the resort in her wheelchair. While its true that she can't ride very many attractions, there are things that she simply loves, including:

Soarin' (she loves, loves that ride)
    The Aladdin show in Hollywood
    Seeing the characters
    Riding the train around the park (wheelchair access in all stations except Main Street)
    All of the theater shows
    Mark Twain
    Billy Hill
    Small World and Jungle Cruise (both have ADA boats)
    The parades and street shows

That may seem like a short list, but factor in the fireworks and/or Fantasmic! and lots of eating, and you've got a full day, a happy grandparent, and some great memories. Be sure you start with a park schedule so you can plan your route, and include wait times and best location for their viewing as you plan your day.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Even the little 'surprises' in Muppets and Tough to be a Bug but be a bit much for some particularly sensitive people such as precarious cardiac conditions.
    Well, that's where warning them about the little "surprises" ahead of time comes in.

Oh, there's a little "surprise" or two at HISTA also. And you can always take active steps to mitigate the "surprise", like have them sitting on a jacket on top of the seat, or d one over a strategic spot in the seat in front of you...

California Screamin' might be too much for the senior set unless they're in really good physical shape - it's smooth overall, but it does bang you around in spots. And forget about Maliboomer.

When in doubt, go ride it yourself so you know what to expect.

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• JeffYardDog
    replied

Originally posted by IMAGINE View Post
    List of To-Dos
    DCA
    -Muppets 3D
    -Its Tough to Be A Bug

I think thats about it that i got off the top of my head...they are all pretty easy going, and the shows just feature loud sound....cool?
    Even the little 'surprises' in Muppets and Tough to be a Bug but be a bit much for some particularly sensitive people such as precarious cardiac conditions.

Leave a comment:

• IMAGINE
    replied

While working Soarin I see plenty of Older folks going in, so it may just depend on the person, as for the Subs a guest may also experience the Porthole Room

Leave a comment:

• Junthor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PrincessY
    replied

Yeah, my mom didn't think she could do Soarin'. You can add Monsters to the list. But I think the subs would be tough for older people to get in and out, so the "experience" may be the better choice. Mom loved the Mark Twain.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X