• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomorrowland Tourist
    Launch sequence engaged
    • Feb 2005

Re: Pixar Play! Parade coming to DCA in 2008

^^Who wouldn't love the genius behind brilliant marketing campaigns like YOMD? I hope he extends it!
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

Comment

• techskip
      I Break Things
      • Jun 2007

Wow... so they are tossing in more Pixar at DCA, no one would have guessed that move. "Come visit DCA, Disney's California Adventure.... we have Pixar!"
      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• 1FoolishMortal
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
        And one more comment, reading all this info (aka Press stuff), DCA was hardly mentioned, but all the WDW parks were mentioned individually... A very interesting comment on the attitude of Disney....
        DCA and DL were hardly mentioned. It's not like DCA is being entirely ignored here.....officially, it's getting a major new parade and major new attraction next year (both of which were mentioned in the press release).
        "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

• royaldisneyfan
          KC to DL= 1,640 miles
          • Jun 2007

I saw a ad for the new Disneyland suite. It had people going out the door and seeing the Mark Twain row on by. It was pretty neat to see.

I agree with Tomorrowland Tourist on the new DCA parade

Tomorrowland Tourist

I really hope this parade isn't going to be in the same format as Block Party Bash. I understand kids enjoy being involved in the parade, but it just seems ridiculous to make the performers strive for audience involvement like that. I would prefer to see elaborate floats with normal street performers (i.e. dancers and such). At the same time, making the parade revolve ONLY around Pixar is a mistake. They might as well incorporate Disney characters from numerous films. After all, it is not like they care much about theme.
          sigpic
          Home away from Home.

Comment

• Rex Dopey24
            Goofy
            • Jul 2006

wow Im not surprised by this.

Comment

• WSVR
              MiceChatter
              • Jun 2007

Wow... so they are tossing in more Pixar at DCA, no one would have guessed that move. "Come visit DCA, Disney's California Adventure.... we have Pixar!"
              The Pixar Play parade is replacing Block Party Bash. So net, they haven't increased the pixar just from the parade... Well except in the title.

My hope is that it is an actual parade rather than BPB which was more appropriately titled a show with two stops. I don't mind getting the kids involved. But make it a parade with a lot more floats and stuff. Block Party Bash was not my favorite to say the least. This summer, you could walk up 5 minutes before show time at the first stop and get a great spot right up front for BPB. Which just goes to show that the show wasn't drawing.

Comment

• tcsnwhite
                Creative Director
                • Jan 2005

First of all, Block Party Bash WAS a success. Comments on people not showing up until the last minute and so on...this is typical for a DCA afternoon parade. It has always been like this, yet it does not mean the parade is a failure. The only DCA parade that gets crowds lined up very early is DEP. Block Party was a true success, or it would not be going to Disney's Hollywood Studios. The slow-down in crowds this last summer may have simply been from the fact that it was nearly in its third year (and slightly cut down due to budget cuts - Disneyland always get precedence). The 50th saw very healthy crowds for it (and it was the talk of management big time before it debuted for the 50th- there was more good buzz about BPB than POD initially). And it was obviously a success, or the wonderful woman (Marilyn Magness) who created and directed the show probably wouldn't have gotten her big promotion into DCE...and she did.

Another heads up- the reason why the Pixar gang is featured in the DCA daytime parade is because this is they way Steven, Marilyn, and team designed it from the 50th. Listen up- the classic Disney family of characters inhabit the Disneyland parade (Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams), while the Pixar gang have their own full parade over at DCA (Block Party Bash, Pixar Play! Parade). It was a creative decision, to keep the entertainment offerings diverse for each park. Not to mention, at the moment, each family of characters fits the "vibe" of the particular park they are in.
                So again, this is NOT simply about more Pixar, Pixar, Pixar....it is keeping the theme going from the 50th. No Pixar gang in POD, so they get to shine in their own parade at DCA.

As for the new parade, all I know are a few rumors, so take them as such! - from what I hear, it will be more in the style of POD in which it will be more so a proper parade with possibly a short show stop. The design and visual feel of it will supposedly be more like POD, with the high energy vibe of Block Party Bash.
                As for a water element, Steven and team have just done a water parade in Hong Kong that was fantastic, but again, HK has weather in the summer that makes that format work.
                Whether that would work or is actually going to happen in SoCal, I have no clue. I will say that if they do so, they will most likely follow the format from HKDL, in which they are zones along the parade route that are wet zones, and areas that are dry zones. Choose your spots accordingly.
                But, again, the water element is a rumor someone has stated here...I have no clue if that's true or not...and I haven't heard anyone else talk about that feature either.

But hey, look at this way, we get a full blown BRAND NEW parade next year...didn't have to wait 'till 2010 did we?
                And yes, it will definitely be going into DCA.
                Last edited by tcsnwhite; 10-03-2007, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Darkbeer
                  Darkbeer
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
                  DCA and DL were hardly mentioned. It's not like DCA is being entirely ignored here.....officially, it's getting a major new parade and major new attraction next year (both of which were mentioned in the press release).
                  Let's read the Press Release...

Do you see "DCA" in those comments of the new stuff coming in 2008.

I don't, and if I didn't know, I would think they were being added to Disneyland, not DCA.
                  Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

• DisneyMickey
                    Banned User
                    • Jan 2005

Good point Darkbeer. They trick you into thinking it be at Disneyland. Then when you get there WHAM! it's in DCA.

Comment

• MasterGracey
                      Dateline Disneylander
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by DisneyMickey View Post
                      Good point Darkbeer. They trick you into thinking it be at Disneyland. Then when you get there WHAM! it's in DCA.
                      Haven't they been doing this for years? Many of the Southern California marketing materials for new attractions at DCA usally feature the "Disneyland Resort" logo - where Disneyland is featured quite prominently and "Resort" is reduced to near nothingness.

We had a discussion regarding this when they opened Monsters Inc at DCA.. DCA was mentioned NOWHERE on marketing materials - only the Disneyland Resort logo.
                      Last edited by MasterGracey; 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• 1FoolishMortal
                        • Apr 2006

Do you see "DCA" in those comments of the new stuff coming in 2008.

I don't, and if I didn't know, I would think they were being added to Disneyland, not DCA.
                        No, I don't see DCA. However, I just reread the press release and I also don't see each "WDW park mentioned individually" like you claimed in your original post:

And one more comment, reading all this info (aka Press stuff), DCA was hardly mentioned, but all the WDW parks were mentioned individually... A very interesting comment on the attitude of Disney....

Therefore, I really don't get the point here. So what they don't mention the DCA name specifically....is it a requirement? They've mentioned it before (most recently the HalloweenTime press release)....it's not like they completely ignore it every time.
                        "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

• Darkbeer
                          Darkbeer
                          • Jan 2005

How about the parades, it specifically says that Block Party Bash is going to Disney's Hollywood Studios Park, but just the generic Disneyland Resort for the Pixar Play! Parade, and that was the same paragraph. (adding Bold letters)

Disney•Pixar Parades Debut on Both Coasts: The Disney•Pixar fun will continue to rock and roll throughout Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in 2008, as characters from smash-hit animated films like “Toy Story,” “The Incredibles,” “Monster’s, Inc.” and “A Bug’s Life” take to the street in “Block Party Bash.” Disneyland Resort will be the home to the new “Pixar Play! Parade,” an all-new Disney•Pixar-inspired parade that invites guests to play and dance along with favorite characters from hit films like “Toy Story,” “A Bug’s Life,” “Monsters, Inc.,” “Finding Nemo,” “The Incredibles,” “Cars” and “Ratatouille.”
                          Let me quote the Press Release again...

...to live Walt’s dream and spend that night in the Disneyland Dream Suite inside Disneyland Park.

...On Main Street, U.S.A. at Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

...in the heart of Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

...an Imagineer-guided tour of Disneyland Park.

...Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in 2008.

...Disneyland Park in California and at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.

...At Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

...while at Disneyland Park.

...in the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom.

...in Magic Kingdom in Florida.

Comment

• techskip
                            I Break Things
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by tcsnwhite View Post
                            First of all, Block Party Bash WAS a success. Comments on people not showing up until the last minute and so on...this is typical for a DCA afternoon parade. It has always been like this, yet it does not mean the parade is a failure. The only DCA parade that gets crowds lined up very early is DEP.
                            I decided to cut it off here because more then anything else this caught my eye. As someone who worked parade GC in BOTH parks I was constantly amazed that you could walk up to a good, not just decent, good spot minutes before a DCA parade. At DL we started early because the crowds started early... I can't completely blame the parade, some of it may also have been the venue. Disneyland tended to be more crowded then DCA, and this also would have a significant effect on parade seating. My comment about Pixar was that Disney seems to be taking the easy way out, and promoting Pixar, instead of being creative and exploring other themes and incorporating ALL characters in BOTH parks.

sigpic

Comment

• Darkbeer
                              Darkbeer
                              • Jan 2005

Note, The current Parade of Dreams has a very long route, and almost anywhere along the route is good viewing at Disneyland.

At DCA, you have 2 show stops and very limited viewing areas, and it is still usually very easy to get a seat just before BPB starts.

They eliminated one show stop, (2 now instead of the original 3), they cut back on the cast of the show and removed items in a "budget" move. If it was truly a hit, none of those things would happen.

The Electrical Parade hasn't been cut, and gets good sized crowds, and has much more viewing area than BPB. It is clear what the public likes and what it doesn't.

Here is hoping the Pixar Play! Parade will be better than BPB.

Comment

• seenoevil
                                Minion
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by DOOM BGI View Post
                                Wait, I'm confused. Didn't they already do a Pirate Suite at DLH? What am I missing here... ?

That's what I was wondering too, and it's full of stuff from POC, so I can't imagine what they mean.
                                I want my cake back!
                                sigpic

Comment

• MasterGracey
                                  Dateline Disneylander
                                  • Jan 2005

Note, The current Parade of Dreams has a very long route, and almost anywhere along the route is good viewing at Disneyland.

At DCA, you have 2 show stops and very limited viewing areas, and it is still usually very easy to get a seat just before BPB starts.

They eliminated one show stop, (2 now instead of the original 3), they cut back on the cast of the show and removed items in a "budget" move. If it was truly a hit, none of those things would happen.

The Electrical Parade hasn't been cut, and gets good sized crowds, and has much more viewing area than BPB. It is clear what the public likes and what it doesn't.

Here is hoping the Pixar Play! Parade will be better than BPB.
                                  I personally don't like BPB, but if it was as poor a parade as you imply, Darkbeer, why would they be shipping it off to WDW?

Certainly, there's an audience for BPB, and its a decent-sized one... otherwise would it have run for this long and would it be getting shipped to WDW?

Comment

• techskip
                                    I Break Things
                                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
                                    I personally don't like BPB, but if it was as poor a parade as you imply, Darkbeer, why would they be shipping it off to WDW?

Certainly, there's an audience for BPB, and its a decent-sized one... otherwise would it have run for this long and would it be getting shipped to WDW?
                                    I'm going out on a limb here and going to say that recycling is easier and cheaper the building something new from scratch. I'm not saying the parade is a total turd, I'm just saying it isn't overly popular and as crowded as some would lead you to believe. As to the comment about someone's promotion... Disney promotes a lot of individuals, some deserve it. I do not know the individual to say either way on her promotion but congrats, not so sure it was directly related to ONE parade though.

sigpic

Comment

• MasterGracey
                                      Dateline Disneylander
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                      I'm going out on a limb here and going to say that recycling is easier and cheaper the building something new from scratch. I'm not saying the parade is a total turd, I'm just saying it isn't overly popular and as crowded as some would lead you to believe. As to the comment about someone's promotion... Disney promotes a lot of individuals, some deserve it. I do not know the individual to say either way on her promotion but congrats, not so sure it was directly related to ONE parade though.
                                      But if the parade is a failure, wouldn't it be a waste of money to send the entire thing across the country? Doing that has got to be expensive, and if it isn't going to help improve guest satisfaction or theme park attendance, then what's the point.

We aren't just talking about recycling the infrastructure of the parade floats and just designing a new parade on top of the old, ...from my understanding BPB will be essentially the same at MGM as it is at DCA.

Is it just a matter of thinking "well, it's Pixar, so it'll be popular?" or is it because it actually IS and WILL be popular?

Another interesting point is the reduced number of show stops. Is it because the parade is unpopular? Or is it because DCA is unpopular?

I dont know... Again, I personally despise BPB and can't wait for it to leave California. But I'm not going to disccount its popularity if it has it just because I don't like it....

Comment

• 1FoolishMortal
                                        • Apr 2006

I think the "popularity" of the parade is up to one's interpretation, and nothing more. It's unfair to say the parade route has been uncrowded in recent months, especially when I saw the parade in April of all months and could not find a decent spot 5 mins. before the parade started as some have claimed it's possible to do whenever you please. I only managed to get a somewhat decent spot because I asked a family if I could stand near them (I was by myself, anyways).

How about the parades, it specifically says that Block Party Bash is going to Disney's Hollywood Studios Park, but just the generic Disneyland Resort for the Pixar Play! Parade, and that was the same paragraph. (adding Bold letters)

Let me quote the Press Release again...
                                        True, they don't mention DCA, but they still don't mention Epcot and Animal Kingdom either like you originally claimed they did. In the end, does it really matter whether or not they mention DCA? It's not like this is a DLR-specific press release. Like I said before, when they released details for HalloweenTime they didn't "ignore" DCA at all in the press release. I'm still not understanding the logic here. It proves nothing about the park whatsoever.

Originally posted by Darkbeer

Hey now......a few things to clear up.

1.) The Electrical Parade was cut, they just did it before the parade debuted (or redebuted) in DCA. The entire Pinocchio unit was removed, as well as the Dwarf's Mine float. And DEP is considered a "popular" parade, too.

2.) The decision to cut the show stops was made very early on; the 3 show stops didn't last beyond the first summer in '05 if my memory serves me correctly. They only did that because the 2nd, middle stop wasn't really needed because it was so close to the first one. Even with only 2 stops, there's still plenty of viewing space because DCA's parade route is so wide.

3.) The decision to cut down the parade (as much as I disliked the move) was supposedly done because of liability issues with the performers. While they did cut the number of performers, did it hinder the experience? Not in the least.
                                        "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

• MasterGracey
                                          Dateline Disneylander
                                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
                                          True, they don't mention DCA, but they still don't mention Epcot and Animal Kingdom either like you originally claimed they did. In the end, does it really matter whether or not they mention DCA? It's not like this is a DLR-specific press release. Like I said before, when they released details for HalloweenTime they didn't "ignore" DCA at all in the press release. I'm still not understanding the logic here. It proves nothing about the park whatsoever.
                                          Ah, but the point was that they specifically mentioned all of the parks that are getting new shows, attractions, parades, etc - except DCA. DCA is the only park that is getting something new that is NOT mentioned by name here.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X