This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pixar Play! Parade coming to DCA in 2008

OK, the BPB cast was originally about 120 and was cut to around 80, that is a MAJOR reduction in the cast.

If the parade was as popular as some folks want you to think, Disney would find other things to cut back on.

Yes, Aladdin has had cuts, one cast now, instead of the original 2 teams that were needed for 7 days a week . Also, originally they paid better for the primary actors and were trying to get "known" folks, now the "stars" get paid less and are not Broadway actors. But then again, Aladdin is getting old and is not as popular as it was when it first opened.

And I am curious, who gets higher viewership, High School Musical 2, with its much smaller cast, or Block Party Bash? OK, HSM2 is new, but how were the crowds for the original HSM event at DCA, I would say about the same.

I am pretty sure that Disney is getting much more bang of its buck with HSM2.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

The "cutting back" that took place last year in no way reduced the amount of viewing area for the parade. It still covers the same distance along the parade route.
      HUH????

The first stop used to end around the Photo Op at the waterfall/Grape Vines, now it ends just before the end of the Sunshine Plaza planters. That is a lot of space, maybe 20 yards. Shorter length, less viewing area.
      Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
        OK, the BPB cast was originally about 120 and was cut to around 80, that is a MAJOR reduction in the cast.

If the parade was as popular as some folks want you to think, Disney would find other things to cut back on.

Yes, Aladdin has had cuts, one cast now, instead of the original 2 teams that were needed for 7 days a week . Also, originally they paid better for the primary actors and were trying to get "known" folks, now the "stars" get paid less and are not Broadway actors. But then again, Aladdin is getting old and is not as popular as it was when it first opened.

And I am curious, who gets higher viewership, High School Musical 2, with its much smaller cast, or Block Party Bash? OK, HSM2 is new, but how were the crowds for the original HSM event at DCA, I would say about the same.

I am pretty sure that Disney is getting much more bang of its buck with HSM2.
        Parade of Dreams is very popular and still got a cast reduction as well. Just that a parade, or show gets a reduction does not have to deal with its popularity all of the time. One of the major influences why Disney cut a show stop was the performers. Block Party Bash sends allot of its cast to Cast Health every week, and one of the decisions for the safety of the cast was to only have two show stops, which still are hard to do.
        Jeff Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
          Parade of Dreams is very popular and still got a cast reduction as well. Just that a parade, or show gets a reduction does not have to deal with its popularity all of the time. One of the major influences why Disney cut a show stop was the performers. Block Party Bash sends allot of its cast to Cast Health every week, and one of the decisions for the safety of the cast was to only have two show stops, which still are hard to do.
          Thank you! I'm glad someone else agrees with me so I don't have to repeat myself. :bow:
          "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

OK the show stops were cut down to 2 because of not enough people were watching and due to the intense dancing. The parade lost performers due to cutting out a tweener (Block unit), a trampoline and two cones. Plus they lost a unit on the back of bugs life, the one with the blue insect.

Disney Electrical Parade was modified and shortened do to the length of the performence corridoor and warehouse space.
            Last edited by SparkyLD; 10-04-2007, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SparkyLD View Post
              OK the show stops were cut down to 2 because of not enough people were watching and due to the intense dancing. The parade lost performers due to cutting out a tweener (Block unit), a trampoline and two cones. Plus they lost a unit on the back of bugs life, the one with the blue insect.

Disney Electrical Parade was modified and shortened do to the length of the performence corridoor and warehouse space.
              It was shortned because two floats had been sold to diffrent areas, not because of warehouse space.
              Jeff Wayne

Comment

What units?

Comment

Length of the performance corridor?? How would that have anything to do with the length of the parade? And I highly doubt it was an issue of warehouse space considering how huge of a parade warehouse DCA has, not to mention quite a bit of other backstage storage space if they needed it.

What units?
                  There were two original Pinocchio units that were destroyed along with the Dwarf's Mine unit. Now I don't know if they were destroyed before they went to the MK or before they came back to DCA, but either way they were never replaced and the parade's length is now much shorter.
                  "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

Originally posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
                    Length of the performance corridor?? How would that have anything to do with the length of the parade? And I highly doubt it was an issue of warehouse space considering how huge of a parade warehouse DCA has, not to mention quite a bit of other backstage storage space if they needed it.

There were two original Pinocchio units that were destroyed along with the Dwarf's Mine unit. Now I don't know if they were destroyed before they went to the MK or before they came back to DCA, but either way they were never replaced and the parade's length is now much shorter.
                    Which of the two warehouses do you speak of? Block Party Bash is stored in the wharf house near the screamin station, and DEP is stored in the one behind screamin. They arent big in width, but they are long. Most of the space taken up in the DEP warehouse has the To Honor America Unit. The Wharf house has BPB and currently also stores the units for "Mickey's Trick or Treat in the Street in the Parade".

Now what I dont understand, is if the units were destoyed, why would they bring them back. If they would just break up the tightly compacted sections and add small gaps between the units the parade would be longer, plus those units were a bit big, the pinocchio ones, I dont see them making the turn from the backstage road to the start gate, then around sunshine.

And MK had there own units, cause they were sent to paris.
                    Last edited by SparkyLD; 10-05-2007, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Now what I dont understand, is if the units were destoyed, why would they bring them back. If they would just break up the tightly compacted sections and add small gaps between the units the parade would be longer, plus those units were a bit big, the pinocchio ones, I dont see them making the turn from the backstage road to the start gate, then around sunshine.

Why wouldn't they bring them back?? They advertised it as the "return" of the electrical parade, but in reality we got quite a truncated version of it. It would've been nice if they actually paid the money to restore those floats, but they didn't because back then they weren't interested in "petty" investments like that.

I don't think the Pinocchio units were that huge. They worked fine in DL, and those streets are much narrower and harder to navigate than the ones in DCA. If the To Honor America unit can navigate DCA then Pinocchio shouldn't have a problem in the least.

I guess I should've clarified about the MK. The version that played originally was their own version, but the version that played a few years ago during Spectromagic's hiatus was our version of the parade. They brought it back to DCA when the park needed an attendance boost.
                      "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

Which of the two warehouses do you speak of? Block Party Bash is stored in the wharf house near the screamin station, and DEP is stored in the one behind screamin. They arent big in width, but they are long. Most of the space taken up in the DEP warehouse has the To Honor America Unit. The Wharf house has BPB and currently also stores the units for "Mickey's Trick or Treat in the Street in the Parade".

I believe one was sold off to a musuem. Also you are somewhat incorrect where the units are stored. Some units are stored in the warehouse by Scremin and two in the wharf.
                        Jeff Wayne

Comment

I believe one was sold off to a musuem. Also you are somewhat incorrect where the units are stored. Some units are stored in the warehouse by Scremin and two in the wharf.
                          From what i have heard from a valet, he said that the only unit stored in Wharf house is the to honor america unit.

Comment

From what i have heard from a valet, he said that the only unit stored in Wharf house is the to honor america unit.
                            Hi, I was a valet as well. There is the American Unit and second unit of the parade, the drum and train unit.
                            Jeff Wayne

Comment

The only thing I have to say about the new parade coming next year is that it's sure a tongue twister...

Pixar Play Parade (now say that 3 times fast).

You think they could come up with something different, something a bit more jazzy or eye catching.

But hey, it's a new parade and I'm excited about it.
                              DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

i used to clean the Block Party Bash floats when i was working at DCA in 2005, im pretty sure that they are in bad repair no, with all the dancing and kicking that has been on them. But it will be good to get these shipped off to MGM and we will be getting a new parade, also theres a rumor that Parade of Dreams will be shipped off to Magic Kingdom in 2009, and a new parade will debut just in time for Disneyland's 55th Anniversary.

Comment

Hi, I was a valet as well. There is the American Unit and second unit of the parade, the drum and train unit.
                                  Nope just talked to a valet, its opening and finale units in there.

Comment

That's basically what he just stated.
                                    "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

If it was truly such a failure, I highly, highly doubt it would be going to another park. Truly.
                                      And if it was truly such a success, it wouldn't have to be pawned off on another park so quickly. Truly.

Put a parade in there that truly pleases the masses and people will stroll the 100 yards to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
                                        The only thing I have to say about the new parade coming next year is that it's sure a tongue twister...

Pixar Play Parade (now say that 3 times fast).
                                        That is the shorthand version it was supposed to be Pixar's Pathetically Predictable Possibly Painful Presumably Posh Prancing Play Parade.
                                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

I stated this. I don't understand why you feel the need to correct everything I say. I work at the Disneyland Resort for parades, I don't tell you where stuff is at Walt Disney World because I don't know this. I do know where the floats are, and which ones are in each warehouse. That is apart of my job. I just don't appreciate when people tell me that I'm wrong about my job when I work there.
                                          Jeff Wayne

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X