• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GhostHostJeff
    MiceChatter
    • Oct 2005

Save Carnation Cafe!

Reading the breakfast thread, I noticed how many micechatters love the Carnation Cafe. Well there have been rumors from my friend who works there that Disney might be getting rid of the Carnation on Main Street.

The possible reasons are:
    a) lack of sales
    b) hard to keep up
    c) such a confined location

Simply put, this cafe does not get the business it use to. And Disney might be getting rid of it in the future. They might be extending the bakery to be included with the tables, or put something else there. I would hate to see this small charm of Disneyland slip away. Hopefully the attendance will boost and the cafe recieve more money.

What do you guys think? Would you miss the Cafe if it was done away with?
    Jeff Wayne

• DisneyIPresume
    Beach Expert
    • Sep 2006

Re: Save Carnation Cafe!

I really wish they would return those side streets back to looking more like streets than the way it is now...

Comment

• Wally
      Fastest Man Alive
      • Dec 2006

Hmmm... are you sure it was Carnation CAFE, and not Carnation GARDENS?

If so. I would be sad to see such a thing go. I've never eaten there myself, but always want to. It's location certainly is cramped, but that's Disneyland for you. I would be very sad to see this place close so that the bakery can extend. Disneylan needs more places where you can sit down and order a meal, rather than stand in line to get muffin and then search for a bench to eat it on.
      "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

• TP2000
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2005

I've never had a meal at Carnation Cafe. It seems so small and cramped.

And then they plant a big, hulking 21st century hostess who was never taught to smile in that tiny 20th century entrance gazebo and it doesn't exactly invite you to want to try and squeeze past her and find out what they are serving. No wonder their sales stink. Maybe they should make the entrance bigger. Or the hostesses slimmer. Or both.

I've never really wanted to eat there. But I do stop by the Bakery next door occasionally for a Latte and a croissant.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2005

I'm trying Carnation Cafe for breakfast the day after tomorrow.

Comment

• Dirton
            Banned User
            • Mar 2005

carnations is one of the coolest restaurants in DL. It's also home to Disney's longest employed cast member OSCAR!!!

Comment

• Ginarella
              MiceChatter
              • Nov 2006

I would miss the the Carnation Cafe but it's hard to believe that it's losing interest because of sales and it's hard to keep up.

I would agree that it's in a confined location but everytime I eat there the tables are filled with guests.

This makes me sad I love the food there.

Comment

• wave789
                MiceChatter
                • Sep 2006

Hmm, I know 2 people who work at Carnation, but I haven't spoken to them in a while. One of them is a lead, so maybe now would be a good time to get back in touch?

Comment

• GhostHostJeff
                  MiceChatter
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TP2000 View Post
                  I've never had a meal at Carnation Cafe. It seems so small and cramped.

And then they plant a big, hulking 21st century hostess who was never taught to smile in that tiny 20th century entrance gazebo and it doesn't exactly invite you to want to try and squeeze past her and find out what they are serving. No wonder their sales stink. Maybe they should make the entrance bigger. Or the hostesses slimmer. Or both.

I've never really wanted to eat there. But I do stop by the Bakery next door occasionally for a Latte and a croissant.
                  My friend his a hostess and isn't slim, so I kinda take offense to that. Shes one of the best there, and I know almost all the hostesses and none of them are bad, and will actually go out of their way for you, which I've seen.
                  Jeff Wayne

Comment

• diznimom
                    MiceChatter
                    • Aug 2006

I can't believe they would want to shut this place down. The times I have gone to eat there we have had to stand in line. Yes the place is small, but the food is good and we have had wonderful servers while dining there.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                      Beach Expert
                      • Sep 2006

Um, why are they called hostesses and not Cast Members?

Comment

• Mac Daddy
                        Nikon +Disneyland = :)
                        MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                        • Jun 2005

I can't imagine it isn't getting business for breakfast. Isn't it one of the only places open before the rope drop? I've ALWAYS seen people in there for breakfast. Are they even OPEN for lunch and dinner? Maybe they could do a seasonal thing as people will ALWAYS need places to eat on crowded days. But thumbs down on the closing idea. :thumbdown

Comment

• Asterix
                          • Mar 2005

Carnation Cafe IMO is underrated and a very good place to eat. Their grilled steak sandwiches are one of my favorite things to eat at the park. Nice ice cream sundaes too. And you can get the items from the bakery next door sometimes faster than if you stood in that line. You also get a little welcome elbow room for those days when the park is way too crowded.

If they get rid of this location I'd love it if they brought back Town Square Cafe over by the parade gate across from the Lincoln exit. It had little outside tables as well as inside and was a fun place for breakfast.

Comment

• judimouse
                            The Duck Rules
                            • Apr 2005

Trust me I will get to the bottom of this rumor. There is almost always a line to eat. Make those PS if you don't want to wait 30-45 minutes.
                            judimouse

Mousefest 2008 here we come

http://www.tinkstravel.com

http://www.dlresortinfo.com

Comment

• GhostHostJeff
                              MiceChatter
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by judimouse View Post
                              Trust me I will get to the bottom of this rumor. There is almost always a line to eat. Make those PS if you don't want to wait 30-45 minutes.
                              Ok, but the reduction of the hours of the cafe are one step already. When you find out please let us know.
                              Jeff Wayne

Comment

• Moving Sidewalk
                                Lost in Wonderland
                                • Feb 2005

I miss it back when it was called the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor & Restaurant. I always enjoyed eating dinner there while the Main Street Electrical Parade passed by.

I've always wanted to get an ice cream sundae from the Carnation Cafe, but it seems like it is always closed by mid-afternoon.

Ah, here are their current hours:
                                Mon-Thurs: 10am-3pm <-- No dinner on weekdays
                                Friday: 9am-8pm
                                Sat-Sun: 8am-8pm

Comment

• CAspace
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jan 2006

I don't know how much more bad news I can take anymore, all the charms and the magic in my opinion is slowly being stripped away, the Carnation cafe is a wonderful eatery the only one on Main Street, a nostalgic place to sit down enjoy a meal and enjoy the ambiance of main street. It would be a great shame to lose this a great shame.

Great Moments with Lincoln- Gone (replaced with subpar movie)
                                  Disney Gallery- gone. - Replaced with expensive hotel suite (non accessible by public)
                                  Fort Wilderness-gone. -replaced with non functional fort/ (Non accessible by public)
                                  Swiss Family Robinson- Gone - replaced with subpar Tarzans tree house
                                  People Mover- Gone- replaced with mis engineered attraction thus since closed
                                  Tahitian Terrace restaurant and show- Gone - replaced with kids Alladin show
                                  Country Bear Jamboree- Gone replaced with subpar pooh ride
                                  Keel Boats-Gone - not replaced
                                  Main street portrait studio- Gone not replaced
                                  America Sings- Gone replaced with subpar "electronic devices exhibit"
                                  Barbershop quartet original show- replaced with sterilized version.
                                  Main street merchant band- disbanded.

I am trying to stay positive, I really am. It is just really hard. I support the magic of Disneyland and the philosophy that the park will never be finished but by removing something and replacing it with a larger retail location or by not replacing a attraction with something at least greater then what was removed I am having a real big problem here. I am really trying here. Please Tony Baxter help preserve the magic and charm of main street and Disneyland. The ambience, the little things as well as the attractions that keep this place special.

Comment

• Dirton
                                    Banned User
                                    • Mar 2005

enjoyment in new things - gone. replaced by overcritical viewpoint

not trying to be mean, I'm just tired of the over reaction that you see here on the micechat boards. Things change and they always will. You guys have to start accepting that the park you love today might change overnight into a completely different place. Enjoy the change and look for things you can appreciate in it.

Comment

• wave789
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                      Um, why are they called hostesses and not Cast Members?

All CMs have a job title, aka a position. For example, I'm a host sometimes and a cashier other times.

Comment

• Bornieo Goes Bananas
                                        • Jan 2005

Carnation Cafe is nothing but a shell of it's former self. It was wonderful before they gutted the ice cream parlor. I would rather see it gone than it its sad state.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X