This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of DCA???

So my wife and I are having an argument.

How big is DCA? I've seen 55 acres, but what are the dimensions, length and width? I figure someone here must have that kind of information on tap.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Re: Size of DCA???

I know it was around 55 acres when it opened (oh, gosh, it's been almost 7 years now!), but I think the additions of Bug's Land and ToT probably has expanded it by a few, so I think it's more around a full 60 now. Don't have any idea what the actual dimensions are, it's kind of in a weird shape if you look at a map (at least, compared to the oval that is Disneyland).

Comment

It's the size of a parking lot!!!

Comment

About 1600' X 2000'...but with large chunks of that taken out for the Hotel, etc.

Disneyland is about 1900' X 2300'

Give or take a few dozen yards
        Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Hard question to answer. DCA is basically shaped like a pair of rectangles that overlap at their top right and lower left corners. The longest onstage distance within DCA is about 2250 feet; this runs from southwest to northeast, from Maliboomer to Hollywood. Later, I'll try to post specs on the lengths of the rectangles' edges.

Comment

If memory serves, Disneyland was originally built on a 160 acre plot. The last measure I've heard for Disneyland Park is 88 acres. That means the maximum that DCA can be is 72 acres. Then you have to take a couple of acres for the esplanade, and then again for the parking lot behind Pacific Wharf. I think approximately 60 acres is a very good estimate as well.
            "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
              If memory serves, Disneyland was originally built on a 160 acre plot. The last measure I've heard for Disneyland Park is 88 acres. That means the maximum that DCA can be is 72 acres. Then you have to take a couple of acres for the esplanade, and then again for the parking lot behind Pacific Wharf. I think approximately 60 acres is a very good estimate as well.
              The remaining parking lot is more than 12 acres. It's at least 20 acres minimum. Also, I don't think that the 160 acres that Walt originally purchased included the land directly behind Disneyland where TDA was eventually built, nor do I think it included all of the old parking lot. If you look at old pictures, the parking lot didn't even go beyond the power lines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the parking lot didn't extend all the way out to Katella until sometime in the 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket Jet View Post
                The remaining parking lot is more than 12 acres. It's at least 20 acres minimum. Also, I don't think that the 160 acres that Walt originally purchased included the land directly behind Disneyland where TDA was eventually built, nor do I think it included all of the old parking lot. If you look at old pictures, the parking lot didn't even go beyond the power lines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the parking lot didn't extend all the way out to Katella until sometime in the 60's.
                Now that I think of it, your right. Since the original plot of land stopped at Winston Street which was at the top of what is Toontown now. Then later Disney had the street closed and contiguously expanded northward so now the block ends at Ball Rd, so the plot of land is now significantly larger than 160 acres.
                I don't know about how far south the parking lot went though. Otherwise the only figures I know is that DCA was 55 acres when it opened pre-ToT and Fun Fair. Is there anywar to estimate acreage via Live or GoogleEarth?
                "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                  Is there anywar to estimate acreage via Live or GoogleEarth?
                  Google Earth can only calculate the perimeter, I calculated DCA's to be roughly 1.44 miles, cutting out the GCH and the Timon lot.
                  MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
                  (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

I looked at the map, and its a few inches this way and another few inches that way....hope it helps!
                    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                      Hard question to answer. DCA is basically shaped like a pair of rectangles that overlap at their top right and lower left corners.
                      You're right it is......using that I came up with two rectangles one measuring about 1000' X 1000' and the other 1000' X 1200'. There is a slight overlap so I'll just make both squares 1000' X 1000'.

That gives us 2 million square feet. 43,560 square feet = 1 acre. So 2,000,000/43,560 = 42.96 acres. I am betting the Hotel takes up about 12 acres which gives us the 55 acres we always hear about.

Comment

Looks like around 60 or so acres to me.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
                        HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
                        ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
                        FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

(950 x 1500) + (950 x 1100) - (450 x 250) = 2,357,500 sq. ft., or 54.12-ish acres. Close enough to 55, methinks. And I didn't count the hotels, esplanade, or Dowtown Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                            (950 x 1500) + (950 x 1100) - (450 x 250) = 2,357,500 sq. ft., or 54.12-ish acres. Close enough to 55, methinks. And I didn't count the hotels, esplanade, or Dowtown Disney.
                            Yep. I think you got it.

Comment

those figures will have to be changed when the resort expansion plans of 2008-2010 are completed

am I right in what I have heard that part of harbor boulevard is going to be shut down to make way for extra footage for disneyland????

Comment

am I right in what I have heard that part of harbor boulevard is going to be shut down to make way for extra footage for disneyland????
                                Don't think so, no. Tony Baxter is looking at pushing Tomorrowland as far out toward Harbor as possible, but no, it's a major street and I highly doubt it'll be shut down just on Disney's behalf...even though it's Disney that's responsible for making it as important as it is. :lol:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X