Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frontierland needs Synergy...

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Frontierland needs Synergy...

    1. The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.
    2. Cooperative interaction among groups, especially among the acquired subsidiaries or merged parts of a corporation, that creates an enhanced combined effect.
    More now than ever, Frontierland needs Disney to make a good western. I’m not talking about a post modern western where the good guys are not so good, and the bad guys are misunderstood and the moral of the story is the wild west was a painful place to live… I mean, an old fashioned style western with a good guy that’s really good, a bad guy that’s fun to hate and a wild west that’s rootin tootin. This type of film could give both the live action part of Walt Disney Pictures as well as Frontierland a huge shot in the arm.

    Much has been said about how annoying the concept of synergy is for the park. Many complain about the PIRATES that are everywhere, but I contend that it’s exactly this kind of synergy that made the park such an immersive experience in the first place. What do you think? How would you best use synergy to help the park?
    Last edited by Pirate Lover 68; 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM. Reason: makin it look purtier

  • #2
    Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

    With the popularity of the '3:10 To Yuma' re-make (with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale) and the upcoming 'Assassination of Jesse James' (with Brad Pitt) blockbuster (both enjoying critical acclaim as well), maybe Disney will poke its head out of its Pirate Hole (among other things), and determine it is "safe" once again to make a Western. Please please please let this happen!! Good thread, PL.
    The new 'Lone Ranger' and 'Zorro' stirrings will be interesting developments. Maybe even spawn a new 'Davy Crockett' (but keep Billy Bob Thornton at home for this one...ecchhh)?
    I have rarely criticised decisions to run with a 'movie tie-in' as long as theme is maintained (which rarely occurs when trying to shoe-horn in a popular movie to one of DL's themed Lands nowadays); I think it would be a refreshing move on Disney's part. Theme> Box Office, IMO.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

      Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
      The new 'Lone Ranger' and 'Zorro' stirrings will be interesting developments.
      I think it is a shame Disney was not involved in the Zorro films. I used to love watching Zorro on Vault Disney (I started watching when I was about 9).

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

        Folk tales.

        And not just male ones...there are some great folk tales of women of the old west, too.

        But I think Disney could just go ahead and make a folk tales attraction. Attractions don't need to be based off of movies.

        The problem is that Disney execs have no faith in original ideas.

        Frontierland definiely needs more attractions...some could be no-brainers.




        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

          'Synergy' is not, IMO, a four-letter word. It's self-promotion in its purest form. The 'synergistic circle' (as ideally as one could have it) would start with movie (generating revenue), leading to DVD/soundtrack sales, leading to attraction anchored by popular movie (theoretically enhancing attraction's chances at being a 'classic'; further promoting the movie, generating revenue through increased DVD sales, re-releases, and sequels).
          My problem with 'Synergy' is when it is allowed to dictate what attractions are to be included in the Parks. With Synergy's strangle-hold on the creative reins at Disney, it has led DL astray, IMO, consistently, in the recent past.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

            So far so good. I agree not every ride needs to come from a movie, I am suggesting that a western, or a folk tale, or some film that could be directly related to Frontierland would be a huge shot in the arm for that particular land.

            I also believe that not all Disney films need come from an attraction to have a beneficial effect on the park as a whole or on a particular land specifically. The THEME umbrella can work both ways.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

              Originally posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
              So far so good. I agree not every ride needs to come from a movie, I am suggesting that a western, or a folk tale, or some film that could be directly related to Frontierland would be a huge shot in the arm for that particular land.

              I also believe that not all Disney films need come from an attraction to have a beneficial effect on the park as a whole or on a particular land specifically. The THEME umbrella can work both ways.
              My theme umbrella only has one position: fully extended.
              (the unintentional naughtiness of this metaphor is to be excused, please)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

                Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                With the popularity of the '3:10 To Yuma' re-make (with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale) and the upcoming 'Assassination of Jesse James' (with Brad Pitt) blockbuster (both enjoying critical acclaim as well), maybe Disney will poke its head out of its Pirate Hole (among other things), and determine it is "safe" once again to make a Western. Please please please let this happen!! Good thread, PL.

                The new 'Lone Ranger' and 'Zorro' stirrings will be interesting developments. Maybe even spawn a new 'Davy Crockett' (but keep Billy Bob Thornton at home for this one...ecchhh)?
                The first two films have enjoyed well-earned and oustanding critical welcome, however unfortuantely neither seems perched for "blockbuster" status. Both are R-rated films with fairly long-running times ('3:10' clocks in at 120 minutes & 'Jesse James' stretches to 160 minutes) as well squarely aimed at adults. Awards season bait - yes, but broader appeal not likely.

                'The Lone Ranger' & 'Zorro' rights are still in the Culver City area at Sony.

                A completely new property or a very fresh retelling of a Disney catalog member would probably be more likely to see daylight.

                We'll probably have to wait out the already-announced productions of the 'Jungle Cruise' and 'Swiss Family Robinson' films to see Frontierland expand.
                "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

                  Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                  The first two films have enjoyed well-earned and oustanding critical welcome, however unfortuantely neither seems perched for "blockbuster" status.
                  "Assassination..." hasn't even been released nationwide yet. Time will tell, but it has the star-power in Pitt to achieve it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

                    That would certainly be fabulous to see happen. Hope you enjoy the film as much as I did.
                    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

                      Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                      That would certainly be fabulous to see happen. Hope you enjoy the film as much as I did.
                      Awww..you dog!! You have seen it already?! Good for you, you lucky so and so!!! I'm dying of jealousy.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

                        I love westerns. With the new crop ever since Unforgiven and Tombstone I've been hooked.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

                          I would venture to say Frontierland needs LIFESUPPORT at this point.
                          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

                          sigpic

                          "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

                            Originally posted by techskip View Post
                            I would venture to say Frontierland needs LIFESUPPORT at this point.
                            I guess I'll just have to LASSO up an IV then! )

                            Okay, I know, that was bad.

                            ...Joe...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Frontierland needs Synergy...

                              Originally posted by techskip View Post
                              I would venture to say Frontierland needs LIFESUPPORT at this point.
                              It already has it in the form of BTMRR--the only attraction (besides the canoes) that captures the spirit of the 'wild' side of the Western Frontier.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X