Annual Passholders-Good or Bad for the Parks?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snappy
    • Jan 2005

Annual Passholders-Good or Bad for the Parks?

Besides the obvious $$ gain with the sales of Annual passes. Do you think having so many A.P hurts the parks in certain ways?
  • aashee
    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Aug 2006

Re: Annual Passholders-Good or Bad for the Parks?

I don't think they hurt at all. Extra revenue bring better rides and upkeep. Plus they get all that money upfront. Interest baby!

Comment

• angeladlr
      MiceChatter
      • Sep 2007

No, because generally we create revenue through food and merch sales also and they are sometimes responsible for the "word of mouth" effect with relatives, coworkers, and friends. Also, you may argue that they increase the crowds too much, but who wants to go to an empty restaurant? Most people on some level see crowds as an indication that something is good. Lastly, often they are repeat guests contributing to the number of guests that know what to do such as in parade situations and can help "lead the crowd" (by this I mean, others generally follow what the pack is doing, so if 50 people know where to go, the other 50 will follow almost instinctively)

Comment

• Retrocool
        Banned User
        • Sep 2007

Yes.

So many A.P.s results in a diminishing of the park experience, a justification for an increase in daily and other short-term ticket prices, and unnecessary crowding.

A.P. sales provide the company with short-term high ticket sale revenue, but long-term lower ticket sale revenue.

Short term gain = long term pain.

Comment

• angeladlr
          MiceChatter
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
          Yes.

So many A.P.s results in a diminishing of the park experience, a justification for an increase in daily and other short-term ticket prices, and unnecessary crowding.
          This is an interesting take on the subject, care to explain how you derived these arguments (can you back up your arguments, or tell me what makes you believe this)? Thanks =)

Comment

• PeoplemoverMatt
            When Will It Return?
            • Jan 2005

I don't see why the stereotypes are necessary, and I wish they wouldn't happen.

There are a few bad apples in the AP orchard, just like there are in the non-AP paid guest orchard, just like there are in the CM orchard, just like there are in the rest of humanity...

As for the concept of an AP being good/bad...I still marvel at how cheap even the Premium AP is compared to season tickets for sports teams or the theatre. But, compared to other theme parks, the Disneyland AP is much more expensive than just about any park in the USA with the exception of WDW.

So, because Disneyland/WDW asks for a pretty big sum of cash up front for an AP and doesn't just practically give them away like Six Flags/Cedar Fair/Sea World/Busch etc, their system is good. Giving away a whole year's worth of admission for the price of 1 day is not good. That enormously deprives any park that does that of necessary revenues. Sure having a free AP will entice them to come back once or twice where they otherwise might not have, but if the park is good enough, people will pay to come back regardless if the AP is free with admission or not. I think it's a better business model to present people with a choice to come 6-7 times in 12 months and have the rest free, rather than just give away 12 months of admissions after the first trip.

Are there too many AP's in Disneyland? No. Crowd size and queue line length are a function of several variables, of which daily attendance is only one. Getting rid of AP's altogether won't change the low capacity of the Subs, or the non-existent draw of DCA, or that there are a lot of shops in not a lot of space on Main Street, or that new attractions always attract people no matter what ticket they've used, or that Disneyland is the special place that it is.

So all things considered, I think the way Disneyland/WDW have their system set up is about the best they could hope for. They don't want to outprice their market and it's bad business anytime any customer feels alienated, which is exactly what a 50-100% jump in the price of an AP would do. Doing that would just send the message, "You like us so much that you'd spend $400 to be able to come everyday? Well SCREW YOU! We want $1,000 now!" Not a good idea...

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

• MrLiver
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2005

The Annual Passport is a discount program designed to bring people into the parks who would otherwise not come.

People pay less for less of an experience. This means that Disney cannot spend the same amount on projects and upkeep that they did before because people are just simply paying less to get into the park.

Comment

• disneyfan07
                Banned User
                • Dec 2005

something I would like to know is this: why are we whipping a dead horse??????

Comment

• Pressler69
                  Sock Puppet
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
                  People pay less for less of an experience. This means that Disney cannot spend the same amount on projects and upkeep that they did before because people are just simply paying less to get into the park.
                  They probably make up that money in merchandise and concessions from repeat visitors.

Comment

• bluejake01
                    MiceChatter
                    • Sep 2007

An interesting thing to consider is this...having an AP allows me to slow down on my visits. It allows me to take my time, shop, dine, relax...without the feeling that I have to cram everything in. I don't spend much time on the rides (or contributing to the wait times), but I spend plenty of money. I have spent far more money on trips to DLR this last year than I have in any year prior...BECAUSE I have an AP.

Comment

• penguinsoda
                      Jester of Randomness
                      MiceChat Moderator
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by disneyfan07 View Post
                      something I would like to know is this: why are we whipping a dead horse??????
                      :bow:

Originally posted by bluejake01 View Post
                      An interesting thing to consider is this...having an AP allows me to slow down on my visits. It allows me to take my time, shop, dine, relax...without the feeling that I have to cram everything in. I don't spend much time on the rides (or contributing to the wait times), but I spend plenty of money. I have spent far more money on trips to DLR this last year than I have in any year prior...BECAUSE I have an AP.
                      This I think is one advantage in Disney's favor because of the AP program. If so many locals didn't have an annual pass, there is no way they could afford to go as often as they do. Over all, that would mean a lot less bodies through the gate on any given day, and a lot fewer people having dinner, drinking drinks and picking up the occasional trinket.

Lets say just for a visual and for the sake of arguement (which I know will happen) that on any given day, the total population of AP's at the park is around 33% (pulling out a random, totally unscientific number). Remove that 33% from the park and yes.... you have fewer bodies and perhaps shorter lines but you also have thousands of bodies not spending money. And because they can get in when ever they want, many times the locals go to Disneyland just to have dinner, see the fireworks (while eating churros and popcorn), spending money in the resort that they would otherwise be spending somewhere else in Anahiem.
                      Last edited by penguinsoda; 10-10-2007, 05:34 AM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                      all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                        MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2005

Is it too early for popcorn and red vines?

Comment

• sediment
                          Banned User
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by snappy View Post
                          Besides the obvious $$ gain with the sales of Annual passes. Do you think having so many A.P hurts the parks in certain ways?
                          Gosh, I've never thought of this before...
                          I'll have to weigh all the pro's and con's before I state my opinion...

Comment

• CUatDL
                            See you there!
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by snappy View Post
                            No, and these AP threads have been done to death anyway.

CU@DL

Andy
                            -
                            What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                              Blind to His Own Faults
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
                              The Annual Passport is a discount program designed to bring people into the parks who would otherwise not come.

I'm in Liver's corner on this. When one 'discounts' an item, diminished quality is the end result. I believe that APs (regardless of the AP holder 'stereotype') damage the Parks. IMO, people were not meant to view Disneyland every day as a Guest, and it would benefit the Park (though maybe not the Park's short-term bottom-line) if it ceased, IMO. But I certainly have no access to any relevant data (other than ambiguous attendance figures) to confirm my impressions on the benefit/detriment of the AP program.

Comment

• Druggas
                                Hooterville, USA
                                • Feb 2005

Those nasty APers!

I keed.
                                sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

• larasound
                                  Shenanigans.
                                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Aristocat
                                  I miss David.
                                  Originally posted by Ginarella
                                  All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

Comment

• sediment
                                    Banned User
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by larasound View Post
                                    Thus far I fail to understand the logic behind the anti AP holder sediment.
                                    What? I deny this! To the end!!
                                    I'm not against the holders, who are rational consumers who know a good bargain when they see it.
                                    I'm against the program itself.
                                    Last edited by sediment; 10-10-2007, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• aashee
                                      Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                                      • Aug 2006

Color me selfish. The AP is very good for me and my family.

Comment

• sediment
                                        Banned User
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                                        Color me selfish. The AP is very good for me and my family.
                                        Obviously.
                                        But that was not the question posed.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X