• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • startours1
    Banned User
    • Jul 2007

reactions from the jungle cruise

One thing I cannot stand while on jungle cruise are people who are boring. I'm sure we have all been on these tours where the skippers are cracking the spiel jokes, and the guests have looks on their faces like "whens the ride over?" Common, it's not the skippers faults that the spiel jokes are well, unfunny. I think people could show a little more gratitude sometimes. Even a smile wouldn't hurt. Sometimes people say nothing, they don't laugh. I have been on a few tours where the skipper says "these jokes aren't gonna get any better folks". I just think that skippers should be shown back the humor that they give. I always have a smile on my face, I still laugh at some of the jokes, it's the least I can do. If you don't feel like laughing, or you think the jokes on Jungle Cruise are lame, don't ride it. Next time you go on Jungle Cruise, even if your faking it, show some humor. Just because other people don't, doesn't mean you don't have to either.
  • aashee
    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Aug 2006

Re: reactions from the jungle cruise

Yeah. A mopey boat is worse than an unfunny skipper. Acually both are bad.

Comment

• Rex Dopey24
      Goofy
      • Jul 2006

lol oh yes.

Comment

• Sir.Mouse
        MiceChatter
        • Sep 2007

well the way i see it, being a skipper is basically being a performer; and like performers one has to endure repeat performances. so Imagen a skipper giving the same spiel for at least an hour straight and Imagen how mind numbing it can become. On the other hand if that preform anit any good then they may not deserve that smile or applause.

Comment

• fantoongal
          Disney Nerd
          • May 2005

it's not the jokes....it's the delivery

Comment

• Villains Fan
            Always watching...
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by fantoongal View Post
            it's not the jokes....it's the delivery
            Very true. This weekend we had a skipper who, although she gave the regular spiel and all the same jokes, was great because of her delivery. Even though we'd heard it all before, she did make us laugh.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
              Beach Expert
              • Sep 2006

I think the majority of the skippers are hilarious and do a great job. I think the two problems are being able to hear them and their delivery.

The boats are so loud, the sippers have a tendency to stick the mic down their throats and shout into them. This creates distortion and combined with the sound of the boat many times I can't hear a word they are saying. I don't laugh because often I don't even know when they are delivering the punchline.

I have found that the funniest skippers tend to talk more slowly. The jokes they say in general are really dumb but if delivered correctly they can be hilarious. A few weeks ago I had one skipper saying some jokes but his delivery was perfect. He was saying many of the same jokes you always hear plus a couple of newer ones. But it was in his delivery. I was literally rolling over in laughter the entire cruise!

Comment

• SCUBAbe
                no flash photography...
                • Jan 2005

I have sat bored through more than on jungle cruise ride and it's not the jokes, it is the skippers delivery, or lack of delivery or trying to talk with the mic in their mouth so all you hear is noise and no actual words.

That being said, we only go on that ride about once every year or two. We like to give it a chance to see if it's improved.

We did get a really good skipper a few times way in the past. I mean it's been about 8 years. The ride is fun when the skipper is good, but they seem to be few and far between.

Comment

• techskip
                  I Break Things
                  • Jun 2007

A quiet boat can also be fun, and sometimes a Skipper will actually underestimate a boat. They'll come back to the dock thinking "Man I blew it" and people will clap and compliment them. Some people don't want to laugh too hard because it is hard to hear at times and they do not want to miss anything or disturb anyone else.

Everyone usually enjoys a loud, boisterous boat, but those can get out of hand if the Skipper or the Guests don't pay attention. It's fun, but sometimes the Skipper can get carried away and too loud not realizing there are people DIRECTLY under the speakers who are now putting their fingers in their ears. A loud boat can also be annoying if they are being fake, and overly loud on purpose.

Bottom line, Skips play to the crowd. You have fun, they have fun, boat usually has a lot of fun. As bad as it sounds the majority of them will only put in so much effort before they give up and call it a lost cause. If the boat is completely unresponsive at some point the Skipper may go into autopilot. In essence it is like any live show, some of the performance may be the same day in and day out but if the crowd is "on" the cast will play to that and the show ends up being more then the standard venue.

For the current Skips here is some food for thought.
                  • Tailor the jokes to suit you personal taste. Re word it if you have to so it sounds like you said it and not like you read it.
                  • Time your jokes, and make them count. There is no need for a giant monologue from beginning to end, pick a few jokes and deliver them well.
                  • Include the crew... interaction can liven up the quietest boat.
                  • Experiment; don't be afraid to try different jokes, different characters, or just different ways of delivering old favorites. Spice is the flavor of life.
                  • Learn the boats. Take the time to figure out which boats are loud, which mics work best with certain PA's. Which boats are slow and which ones are decent. You can pull a really funny gag called "slow boat chase scene" if you have a real winner.
                  • Have FUN
                  More then anything else I hate mediocrity especially on that dock. Hopefully at some point the Jungle will begin to turn around.
                  "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• Junthor
                    DL Nerd
                    • Apr 2007

I wonder if first timers know what to expect when they get on the jungle cruise... it may not be their fault when they start hearing the jokes.....
                    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

• Jgooss
                      Driver Your Turn Is Clear
                      • Jan 2007

To me, riding the jungle cruise, is like going to a funny movie. I go in with a "I'm going to have fun" attitude and the more people who see you enjoying yourself will feel free to enjoy themselves. Laughter is contageous!

Plus it helps when your wife laughs at everything. Skippers should hire her to ride the boats all day.
                      Check out My Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 rides... I'm always working on another one... I hope they make you want to go to Disneyland.

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
                      ~Walt Disney~

Comment

• sediment
                        Banned User
                        • Jan 2005

I agree with speaking more slowly and more clearly, and when you are going for a killer joke, turn down the engine. And nothing is worse than a distorted mic and speaker. Sure, I know the line, because I've heard it before.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                          A quiet boat can also be fun, and sometimes a Skipper will actually underestimate a boat. They'll come back to the dock thinking "Man I blew it" and people will clap and compliment them. Some people don't want to laugh too hard because it is hard to hear at times and they do not want to miss anything or disturb anyone else.

Everyone usually enjoys a loud, boisterous boat, but those can get out of hand if the Skipper or the Guests don't pay attention. It's fun, but sometimes the Skipper can get carried away and too loud not realizing there are people DIRECTLY under the speakers who are now putting their fingers in their ears. A loud boat can also be annoying if they are being fake, and overly loud on purpose.

Bottom line, Skips play to the crowd. You have fun, they have fun, boat usually has a lot of fun. As bad as it sounds the majority of them will only put in so much effort before they give up and call it a lost cause. If the boat is completely unresponsive at some point the Skipper may go into autopilot. In essence it is like any live show, some of the performance may be the same day in and day out but if the crowd is "on" the cast will play to that and the show ends up being more then the standard venue.

For the current Skips here is some food for thought.
                          • Tailor the jokes to suit you personal taste. Re word it if you have to so it sounds like you said it and not like you read it.
                          • Time your jokes, and make them count. There is no need for a giant monologue from beginning to end, pick a few jokes and deliver them well.
                          • Include the crew... interaction can liven up the quietest boat.
                          • Experiment; don't be afraid to try different jokes, different characters, or just different ways of delivering old favorites. Spice is the flavor of life.
                          • Learn the boats. Take the time to figure out which boats are loud, which mics work best with certain PA's. Which boats are slow and which ones are decent. You can pull a really funny gag called "slow boat chase scene" if you have a real winner.
                          • Have FUN
                          More then anything else I hate mediocrity especially on that dock. Hopefully at some point the Jungle will begin to turn around.
                          Fancy seeing you here, tech! Wow there sure are a lot of JC topics being explored right now aren't there?

Comment

• techskip
                            I Break Things
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                            Fancy seeing you here, tech! Wow there sure are a lot of JC topics being explored right now aren't there?
                            Things tend to run in cycles... guess Jungle is the topic for the time being. I'm just trying to use it as a positive note in hopes that some of the CURRENT Skips have a peak.

Also thought some would be interested in this

It's a boat sign pin concept.
                            "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X