This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much going on in the afternoon?

During my last visit, it really struck me how from mid-afternoon til late at night there is something going on at Disneyland that creates major traffic problems. It starts with the first parade, making it difficult, if not impossible, to get from one side of the park to another. Then comes the Flag Retreat ceremony (granted, this is a minor snag, but it does create some problems on Main Street) then the second parade follows shortly after that, then Fanstasmic, Fireworks and Fantasmic again, then the park closes. From about 3:00pm on it is quite difficult to be spontaneous. It seems like more and more I find myself thinking "I think I'll do X next... oh, wait, I can't, it's time for the parade, and I can't get there." I don't remember this being the case in years past. It's gotten so that I come to expect a CM to pop up around any turn, instructing guests to walk a different way. Maybe it's just because attendance has been especially high lately, but I find myself getting pretty frustrated trying to get around the park if I chose to do something other than participate in the entertainment that is causing the traffic problems. It's like being caught up in one's own personal game of live-action Frogger. I don't know what the solution is other than to eliminate some of the afternoon entertainment. Or maybe move one parade to the later part of the morning or something. Anyway, just a recent observation I thought I would throw out there. Anyone have any ideas how this problem could be dealt with?

Re: Too much going on in the afternoon?

That's one of the reason's that the Skyway buckets were so nice. You could go back and forth over the parade route to each side of the park and while doing so, you got to see some of the parade from a birdseye view. I really miss the Skyway. Since it was removed, we have to fight the masses to get from one side to the other and it's a slow process.

Comment

Its more of a problem now because they basically shut off half the park for POD. In the past they have had much more elaborate parades and have had the ability to stop the parade just to let people cross. Now they seem incapable of doing this anymore.

Comment

With two small children we rarely are in the park after the first POD because it can be hard to plan and get around once the evening activities begin (oh plus they are very tired), but I always remember the parade being an issue for mobility (especially since we rarely watch the parade).

The hardest thing irght now is the fact that the firsworks viewing is so important with this display that you have to be in front of the castle to get the main effect (and it sounds like the Christmas display with the snow on the castle will be no change to that). There is nothing more fun than having a child in complete fear of the loud fireworks and having the fight through that crowd on mainstreet to get out of the park.

But on the days where we want to view those attractions (FW, F! or POD), I am ery thankful they are there. I do wish there was an easier way to get around, especially in NOS / Frontierland during F!.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Yeah, but the show stop doesn't clobber whole regions at once. If it's on Main Street, cross at the Hub. If it's at the Hub, cross at Main Street.

Comment

The parades don't bother me so much, there are places to cross all along the route. Now, the fireworks are a different story. Don't get me wrong, I love the new show, but it has created such a traffic jam in the hub! We usually try to avoid it, but occasionly find ourselves doing the "fireworks shuffle" if we end up on the wrong side of the park. The worst is trying to get from Main Street to Adventureland! With the one way walkways they set up you have to shuffle all the way around the hub with the crowd, dodging folks who stop to watch the show while trying not to lose your group, and all in the dark to boot! I know the crowd control is needed for safety, I just wish there was another way.

Comment

Solutions:

1. Tunnels
              2. Over passes
              3. Swinging Vines
              4. Bridges of Bodies
              5. Flying Wedges

Comment

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
                Solutions:

1. Tunnels
                2. Over passes
                3. Swinging Vines
                4. Bridges of Bodies
                5. Flying Wedges
                ohh, ooohhh, I know, Pixie dust!

Comment

I don't mind the various things going on at Disneyland.. sure getting around can be a hastle, but its worth it to me to have these festivities available for my, and other park goers enjoyment...
                  If they had no more parades people would complain. Disneyland can't win--everyones a critic.
                  <3 Chloe

Comment

Solutions:

1. Tunnels
                    2. Over passes
                    3. Swinging Vines
                    4. Bridges of Bodies
                    5. Flying Wedges
                    ohh, ooohhh, I know, Pixie dust!
                    Shouldn't be too hard to come up with some happy thoughts at Disneyland, of all places...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X