This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why 14?

Why 14Mph for Disneyland traffic? it sounds like it was written by a lawer, but why?

Re: Why 14?

14 is a number you will remember. While riding back in the tram, you will ALWAYS hear people say ... 14 ... well, WHY 14. If they said 15, nobody would even hear it. This way it get's them talking about the 14 and they will remember it.

Of course, I guess it could work for 13, 12, 11, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

I asked a CM once, and they said it's easier for people to remember 14 than a more obvious number like 15mph.
      Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Because 14 is annoyingly slow? And then you get some guy driving 8 trying to be good and you're behind him and you're between first and second and slow.

Comment

Wow, apparantly I am not a good listener (although hubby is usually the one driving so maybe I am not paying attention) but I never knew it was 14. Learned something new today!

A little piece of heaven

Comment

You are used to seeing 15 MPH signs all over so you tend to not pay attention to them. But a 14MPH sign catches your attention because you NEVER see them. Just a subtle little psychological trick to make you pay attention.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

It's what they call a "hard number" in marketing terms.

Clinky got it.

Comment

Its funny, if I recall they don't mention the speed limit on the Timon tram. They definitely do not say to yield to pedestrians and Disneyland vehicles on that tram either.

Comment

Actually there are no signs. I always thought that any speed 15 mph or over had to have posted signage. Having the limit 14 means no signs required.

Comment

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                    Because 14 is annoyingly slow? And then you get some guy driving 8 trying to be good and you're behind him and you're between first and second and slow.
                    Honestly, how many people do you think even know what first and second means?

Originally posted by Dolby View Post
                    Actually there are no signs. I always thought that any speed 15 mph or over had to have posted signage. Having the limit 14 means no signs required.
                    I've seen plenty of 5 MPH signs. People will just assume "what traffic allows" without signage. Even if not required, signs are a good idea.

Comment

^^Dude, you're probably right... I love driving stick.

Comment

DLR security once told me that if it was 15 mph, anaheim police would legally be allowed to patrol the lots, so they put it at 14 so that disney can take care of policing itself
                        Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
                          DLR security once told me that if it was 15 mph, anaheim police would legally be allowed to patrol the lots, so they put it at 14 so that disney can take care of policing itself
                          I don't believe that. The lots and roadways are either private property or public property.

Comment

Because it's the number on my hockey jersey ....

oh wait - you weren't talking directly to me

maybe it's not slow, but just slow enough

Comment

Originally posted by chadb14 View Post
                              Because it's the number on my hockey jersey ....

oh wait - you weren't talking directly to me

maybe it's not slow, but just slow enough
                              The official speed limit of hockey is 9 MPH

Comment

DF is correct. If the speed limit is 15 mph or higher then the area is subject to patrol bu the police. Its the same reason you will see limits like this in parking lots, condo complexes, etc.

Comment

I've heard somewhere that people never remember 15mph, but 14mph sticks out. Sure seems to be the case, considering this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Frogberto View Post
                                    I've heard somewhere that people never remember 15mph, but 14mph sticks out. Sure seems to be the case, considering this thread!
                                    Would you be able to shed light on the policing issue?

Comment

One of the malls where I live has a speed limit of 17 posted on the outer perimeter road that circles the place while all the rest show 15, so I guess they must be on to the same thing as Disney.

Now, if you're like me and take advantage of the 5mph grace, then you must go 19 mph in the Disney garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Koutesu View Post
                                        Now, if you're like me and take advantage of the 5mph grace, then you must go 19 mph in the Disney garage.
                                        Be careful...this past July, the grace was changed to 3mph!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X