X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSI/Pirates Lair Phases 2 & 3

Hi All,

I seem to recall reading in one of Al's older updates that if the re-theme of TSI into Pirates Lair was successful, a second, more detailed phase (and possibly even a third) would be taking place.

I also sem to recall reading that John Lasseter was impressed with the initial effort, which, given his substantial clout over the Disney creative process, would lead me to believe that phases 2 and 3 would likely go ahead.

Any word on this development? Al certainly hasnt mentioned anything about it for a while, so I was just wondering if anyone had any information they might be willing to share.

Seems a bit odd to me to have gone ahead with the fort re-construction if a second phase is indeed in the plans, but then again, what do I know.

And please, lets not turn this into yet another debate about how an island filled with pirates fits into New Orleans or the American west for that matter.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Re: TSI/Pirates Lair Phases 2 & 3

Pirates fits well into New Orleans, as there were buccaneers and pirates in the 17th and 18th century before the Louisiana Purchase.

Comment

There were suppose to be destructible buildings in New Orleans Square that could be seen from some where on the island and when fired from a cannon they could collapse than rebuild them selves.

Comment

Originally posted by mouseinphilly View Post
        Pirates fits well into New Orleans, as there were buccaneers and pirates in the 17th and 18th century before the Louisiana Purchase.
        NOS is set in the mid-19th century--the 1850s/60s.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
          NOS is set in the mid-19th century--the 1850s/60s.
          Somehow I knew you would say that...

And of course... you KNEW this thread would bring me over...

Does anyone know the answer about the other phases?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
            Somehow I knew you would say that...

And of course... you KNEW this thread would bring me over...

Does anyone know the answer about the other phases?
            Why would he NOT say it? It is the truth isn't it?

Haven't heard anything about any next phases, as far as rebuilding the fort, they are doing it because pirates or not, they want a fort there. I hear it is supposed be a fort with a more "spanish main" influence in the design and look.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post

Haven't heard anything about any next phases, as far as rebuilding the fort, they are doing it because pirates or not, they want a fort there. I hear it is supposed be a fort with a more "spanish main" influence in the design and look.
              I suppose it might be easier to re-surface the flat wooden walls that make up the fort's towers now with Spanish stucco, as opposed to log walls it once had....

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                Ummm... I'm going to go with, wasn't the point of the thread???

I was just ribbing... lol... which is to say, my posting was ribbed for greater pleasure...

Anyway, I'm eager to hear if anyone else has news.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
                  Ummm... I'm going to go with, wasn't the point of the thread???

I was just ribbing... lol... which is to say, my posting was ribbed for greater pleasure...

Anyway, I'm eager to hear if anyone else has news.
                  I enjoyed the ribs as they were intended. And the BBQ sauce on them was great!

Comment

I enjoyed the ribs as they were intended. And the BBQ sauce on them was great!

Just plain ribs only. BBQ sauce was invented in the LATE 1890's

Comment

Oh, I also enjoy dry-rubbed Texas-style ribs. Mmmmmm!

EDIT: Now you've got me thinking about the ribs you could get at Big Thunder BBQ.

Comment

Oh, I also enjoy dry-rubbed Texas-style ribs. Mmmmmm!

EDIT: Now you've got me thinking about the ribs you could get at Big Thunder BBQ.

Weren't those ribs awesome? What a shame. Put that with the festival of fools and I'm a happy dude.

Comment

I suppose it might be easier to re-surface the flat wooden walls that make up the fort's towers now with Spanish stucco, as opposed to log walls it once had....
                          Wow so they might go with a Spanish style fort in a weak attempt to tie in both themes... no one could have predicted such a move.... wow.
                          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Before all of you come down on Pirates' Lair, I'd like everyone to take a moment to consider one primary difference before/after rehab:

Pre-Rehab: It was so decrepit, it should have been condemned. There was never a full raft going over to the island. Kids today didn't even know about it, or didn't need to spend precious Disneyland time exploring it.

Post-Rehab: Every raft over is full, kids who've been want to go again, the island is once again a tradition for the age-range it's geared to.

And Steve, before you say it, a grandiose Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn themed rehab would not have brought the interest that Pirates of the Caribbean does. Sure it would have brought some attendance back, but I think it's obvious it would still be a sort of unknown secret quiet place without as many guests. And you're too big for caves and tree forts, Steve!

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                              And you're too big for caves and tree forts, Steve!
                              I'm actually 3'4" (thankfully just tall enough to go on all the big-people rides). :lol:

Comment

Pre-Rehab: It was so decrepit, it should have been condemned. There was never a full raft going over to the island. Kids today didn't even know about it, or didn't need to spend precious Disneyland time exploring it.

Post-Rehab: Every raft over is full, kids who've been want to go again, the island is once again a tradition for the age-range it's geared to.
                                BTW, as we've discussed many times, that's flawed logic. If they had put a looping roller coaster on the Island, it would draw WAY more people than PLTSI. So, should that be the next step?

Comment

/\
                                  Ooh Phase III :lol:

Comment

I'm actually 3'4" (thankfully just tall enough to go on all the big-people rides). :lol:
                                    Are you really? Well I meant too old for that ol' island anyways.

Comment

For the record, Im HUGE fan of Steve, his work, and usually find his opinions spot on. Us DLRR nutjobs hold Steve's books on the subject in special reverence.

But I digress. Back to the subject at hand. Anyone have any tidbits to offer up? One nugget I seem to recall was the possibility of a new showbuilding being built along the backside of the island that would house a more elaborate set of caves, tunnels, etc...

Comment

And Steve, before you say it, a grandiose Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn themed rehab would not have brought the interest that Pirates of the Caribbean does.
                                        Aside from your own personal opinion/assumption you know this to be fact because of...?

Steve is right, even if you could some how prove your statement, which you can't, it is not the point. Almost any flashy shiney swell cool attraction can draw a crowd, that doesn't mean it is themed right for where it is.

On to the actual topic...I heard in phase 2 there was going to be a regular show there that was basically a copy of Jedi Training Academy but with pirates. The last I heard, IF phase 1 was well received then at least some phase two stuff could be implimented by summer '08.

I have to say, although I see more folks going there than before I would not consider it a huge success. I was there this month from the 5-7 and many times walked the river front on the way to other things and saw the band singing pirate songs to an audience of less than ten people and rafts going out there only half to quarter full and it was not a slow week end. We have visited it one time since it opened and my children (even my pirate obsessed son) have expressed no interest in going back for now, other stuff had priority for them.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X