X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Thoughts About Al's DCA article

Basically my brief thoughts and reaction:

I hope The Little Mermaid ride is NOT constructed inside the Golden Dreams Theater. But I do hope for it to be constructed where Pizza Oom Mow Mow restaurant is now and extend into the backstage/driveway area. This would also provide a blocked viewing when the parade gates open on that side of the park (I hope you know what I mean). There, WDI would probably have more real estate to construct the overhead darkride track instead of an omnimover version of the ride.

For Golden Dreams Theater, replace with the never built Tokyo DisneySea dark ride attraction "Cops & Robbers Chase". Should replace the mural on that building with something more San Fran. I know in the original plans, it's a wild mouse coaster, but I think it would work well as a WDW Winnie the Pooh-type dark ride. LINK: http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...disneysea.aspx

Replace/ Retheme Mulholland Madness with a better themed mouse coaster themed to the Cable Cars. Queue would be themed as the Cable Car Museum. Ala BTMRR/Matterhorn type San Fran outdoor roller coaster type theme.

Maybe the Route 66 area could be the never built "International Street". LINK: http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...case-area.aspx

Maybe replace the McDonalds restaurant with "Islands". Should also have an outdoor 2nd floor to view "Disney's WONDERFUL World of Color" once the mish-mash of Jumpin' Jellyfish, etc is cleared out. LINK: http://www.islandsrestaurants.com/

I'd like the S.S. rustworthy to stay, but they need to take all the tacky gags off. Then a proper roadway may be built that circles this waterplay area so vehicles travelling from Sunshine/Transportation Plaza could circle around here and return to the park entrance. May also provide a stop ala Disneyland's Hub. And since the parade gate is so close, a band like WaveRider could come out and play live music in this hub entertaining guests and patrons of ISLANDS.

Lastly for The Country Bears, I'm not sure where WDI was thinking of putting this in the Grizzly Area, but I wonder about the secluded walkway between the GRR waterfall & lifthill. It's directly behind the GRR loading turntable. From the looks of it to me, this area COULD hold a 1 theater Country Bear show. Queue from the walkway towards the waterfall just north of GRR entrance. Exit under the lifthill and into the future gold panning area.

And I hope for gravity cars for the Grizzly Trains instead of steam engines. The train would probably look cool when it starts uphill directly above a Country Bear entrance. LINK: http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/...yout=printable

I'm sure you know I have more thoughts. But I'm just BRIEFLY touching on Al's article.

So what do you think?

EDIT: Although I do have a little support for Uncle John's parachute ride to replace Maliboomer... I've never been on Maliboomer and accidently went on Knott's Berry Farm's parachute ride once. I'm not into freefall attractions. But I think it would certainly look better than Maliboomer. Maybe he could get a parachute ride that's not so far off the ground, would that help WDI's issues with this proposal?
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 10-13-2007, 02:41 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Re: Small Thoughts About Al's DCA article

I don't know if I agree about his Grizzly River arguments, and how Grizzly River sits empty in December. If he's talking about early December, then maybe.

But even in the worst weather and rains....during late December....Grizzly River is packed. Grizzly River Rapids is the one ride that people flocked to in those rains of December 2004, and 2005. (I guess if people were already venturing out in the rain...what's a little bit more water?)

Also, it's not guaranteed you'll get soaked on Grizzly River. There have been one or two times I've stayed dry. It doesn't happen often. Luck of the draw, perhaps....but it is possible, every so often, to stay dry. Not likely, but possible. Vice Versa with Splash Mountain---I've gotten more wet on Splash than I ever though possible.

I find the Grizzly River area very serene, and I don't want to see the Resort "busy" the area up. I think the idea is that the area is supposed to be a sort of abandoned forest, or at the very least you are there to take in the atmosphere in a very tranquil and calm environment. Once they start piling on attractions into the area, the whole ambience is ruined. Maybe add a few more benches. Perhaps a rugged, forest-type restaurant...but to me, Grizzly provides a nice transition , to other more congested areas of the Park---a place where you can relax and "soak" up the atmosphere and sounds. Running a train through the mountain ala Knotts Calico Mine Ride would mess with the serenity of the area.

Lastly, 10 months is an awful long time for Small World to be shut down! And I always thought the fact that the boats back up was part of the attraction. I liked it because I wasn't anxious to get off. When you back up at the very end, I always cheer, because it means more ride time, and especially at night, you might even be able to see the little soldiers come out, watching from the idle boat. I like to go through Small World at a leisurly pace. The clunky boats that stop and start have a kind of charm. If the new boats are just going to zoom thru the area like a conveyor belt.....it really takes all the fun out of it. The way it is now, you are meandering through, with some leisurely stops and starts. Very tranquil and relaxing. I never perceived that as an "error". I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be.
    Last edited by Pisces; 10-13-2007, 03:18 PM.
    2007 Photos:
    http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd345/Pisceslibra/Disneyland%20Christmas%202007/?start=all
    More 2007 Photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pisceslibra/sets/72157606706412381/
    2007 UPDATED Trip Report:
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/trip_report_photos_dec_2007-102026.html
    2006 Photos:
    http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200#120769200_T5KyJ

Comment

Take a looksy here. you might like (hopefully).

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...nia-77215.html

Comment

I do hope the mermaid ride goes through, as the dreams theatre and film is a total waste of space. Country Bears, although have never seen the show, should make a comeback due to their huge fan base. Maliboomer has got to go, but parachutes to replace it...not sure bout that one...Personally I feel the whole San Fran Scene needs to be expanded and if not just done away with altogether...its to small to make any kind of impact...
        You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Comment

Originally posted by filmfreak11 View Post
          Basically my brief thoughts and reaction:

I hope The Little Mermaid ride is NOT constructed inside the Golden Dreams Theater. But I do hope for it to be constructed where Pizza Oom Mow Mow restaurant is now and extend into the backstage/driveway area. This would also provide a blocked viewing when the parade gates open on that side of the park (I hope you know what I mean). There, WDI would probably have more real estate to construct the overhead darkride track instead of an omnimover version of the ride.

For Golden Dreams Theater, replace with the never built Tokyo DisneySea dark ride attraction "Cops & Robbers Chase". Should replace the mural on that building with something more San Fran. I know in the original plans, it's a wild mouse coaster, but I think it would work well as a WDW Winnie the Pooh-type dark ride. LINK: http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...disneysea.aspx

Replace/ Retheme Mulholland Madness with a better themed mouse coaster themed to the Cable Cars. Queue would be themed as the Cable Car Museum. Ala BTMRR/Matterhorn type San Fran outdoor roller coaster type theme.
          And I hope for gravity cars for the Grizzly Trains instead of steam engines. The train would probably look cool when it starts uphill directly above a Country Bear entrance. LINK: http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/...yout=printable
          There is just not much chance of ANY sort of train ride being incorporated into the Grizzly Peak. Retrofitting something of that magnitude and trying to work around all the facility, utility and attraction infrastructure would be an immense expense.

Comment

This mistaken idea that there's a problem with Grizzly River area. Why does Al think they need to funnel hordes of people over that way? I want to see that area remain calm and relaxing. Massive crowds will wreck the National Park theme.

I'll miss the letters and tile mural. If they move the turnstiles closer out to the middle.....it's going to add to the congestion. During peak periods, lines to get into the Park stretch back beyond the California letters. Where are they planning on putting all those people waiting in line?
            2007 Photos:
            http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd345/Pisceslibra/Disneyland%20Christmas%202007/?start=all
            More 2007 Photos:
            http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/trip_report_photos_dec_2007-102026.html
            2006 Photos:

Comment

I definately agree it really really depends on GRR if you get wet or not.

I can see where people are coming from hoping GRR stays the same calm atmosphere... or at least a bit of rethemeing can be agreed upon to replace the "extreme" with "mining" props and gags.

I think there's a different vision of the GR train ride going around... I'm thinking of something simple just like the proposed extinct Frontierland Mine attraction (in which I'm pretty sure I posted an idea for it before Al started mentioning. As well as a lighthouse control tower to replace Golden Zephlyer. I was quite giddy reading about from Al actually), Knott's Mine Ride (like was mentioned eariler), and Dumbo's Circus Train. I never imagined a huge train like Disneyland's steam engines. Or was the "magnititude" referring to the track layout??

I don't think there's a problem with Grizzly area besides going from "extreme, here & now" to "past gold rush era" theme. But there's just a lack of attractions in such a huge peaceful area. Disneyland manages to squeeze a lot in. I'm glad WDI is thinking of this, just too bad that thought didn't come into building the mountain. I think the area will still look good if these additions take shape. For my Country Bear area proposal, even though it's serene, it kind of is a waste of space. And I thought DCA haters wanted more attractions...

My memorable ride through Small World was having this "large" lady sit in the row in front of mine. Now she mostly sat in the middle, but I did notice our boat was pretty low into the flume. Around where the Polynesian area, she decided to shift from the middle to one side of the boat. Our boat made a sudden boat and started blocking the boats behind us. She soon realizes this and shifts her weight back to the middle and we started moving again... I never had quite a cruise like that before.

I never really liked the Maliboomer's skyline with CA Screamin' and Sun Wheel. Usually when you see a panarama pic, the Maliboomer is left out anyways

I definately think the San Fran (or as some would call it: Bathroom Alley) is way too small of a themed section. But with the concrete sidewalks and more themeing, I think the San Fran land could extend into the current Route 66 area and incorporating "Interntaional Street" to represent the different people and cultures that come to CA.

I would love a Little Mermaid ride, but I'm sure most of you would agree, although the Golden Dreams Theater needs to be replaced, TLM seems like an odd replacement. Which is why I think Pizza Oom Mow Mow is the best fit. The backstage area behind it provides a lot more room than GDT for WDI to do the proposed attraction from stratch and get more people into this corner of the park.

EDIT: I forgot I had another more brillaint thought for The Golden Dreams Theater... to be replaced with something like Tokyo DisneySea's The Little Mermaid Theater mmixed with CircleVision. Every so often, live performers above the audience and in the asiles will transport guests to a certain country that someone moving to CA would have come from. Changing the "Palace of Fine Arts" name of which the facade is into "Palace of Cultural Arts". The CircleVision films will project ariel views of the country. In the San Fran structures (where the Preview Center is proposed) would be a gift/art shop of displaying cultural items from the country being featured in "Palace of Cultural Arts".

With the statement above and an "International Street", it would be more satisfactory for me to see Mulholland Madness into "Cops & Robbers Chase".

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
              -Jurassic Park

Comment

Originally posted by IMAGINE View Post
                I do hope the mermaid ride goes through, as the dreams theatre and film is a total waste of space. Country Bears, although have never seen the show, should make a comeback due to their huge fan base. Maliboomer has got to go, but parachutes to replace it...not sure bout that one...Personally I feel the whole San Fran Scene needs to be expanded and if not just done away with altogether...its to small to make any kind of impact...

I kinda agree with you especially maliboomer I just rode that today and the ride is short and not scary at all only one shot and thats it a simple one shot thats all to is.

Comment

I was thinking about this. Is there any word on possibly re-themeing GRR and the surrounding area to a specific time period. To be more specific I would love to see the old "Big Red Car" touring cars that used to frequent a variety of state and national parks. Having a classic like that in front of GRR would definately bring in a crowd! better then a Big Bear and florescent colored paddles!

I love the thought of bringing Country Bear back but I worry about the show itself. It was an amazing show but to bring back what was essentially lost would be pointless. I would LOVE to see a new show, but worry about modernizing it and possibly ruining what was a wonderful childhood experience. I believe the theater would need to be smaller... hopefully they will learn from Muppets and HISTA, that a private smaller venue is easier to fill and more cost effective, even if it does cause a crowd at first. I believe it does belong in the forrest, the question would be where.

As far as Mermaid, I don't think it has ANYTHING to offer thematically, and I do not see the point to adding it. Sorry to go against the grain, but it's completely out of place... and would be added simply to fill seats and get people through the gate. This should be a theme park, not an amusement park.
                  "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

I think there's a different vision of the GR train ride going around... I'm thinking of something simple just like the proposed extinct Frontierland Mine attraction (in which I'm pretty sure I posted an idea for it before Al started mentioning. As well as a lighthouse control tower to replace Golden Zephlyer. I was quite giddy reading about from Al actually), Knott's Mine Ride (like was mentioned eariler), and Dumbo's Circus Train. I never imagined a huge train like Disneyland's steam engines. Or was the "magnititude" referring to the track layout??
                    The GR train concept they have been indicating IS the small Frontierland Mine type ride. And that is the one that would not be feasibly be incorporated into the Grizzly Peak area.

I definately think the San Fran (or as some would call it: Bathroom Alley) is way too small of a themed section. But with the concrete sidewalks and more themeing, I think the San Fran land could extend into the current Route 66 area and incorporating "Interntaional Street" to represent the different people and cultures that come to CA.
                    Unfortunately, San Francisco has nothing to do with Route 66 as it headed west from Los Angeles and goes nowhere near San Francisco.

I would love a Little Mermaid ride, but I'm sure most of you would agree, although the Golden Dreams Theater needs to be replaced, TLM seems like an odd replacement. Which is why I think Pizza Oom Mow Mow is the best fit. The backstage area behind it provides a lot more room than GDT for WDI to do the proposed attraction from stratch and get more people into this corner of the park.
                    With the statement above and an "International Street", it would be more satisfactory for me to see Mulholland Madness into "Cops & Robbers Chase".
                    The problem with that is that Cops & Robbers Chase would probably occupy at least three times the space that the current MM takes. There is just no space available for an attraction that big without removing a good portion of the west end of the lagoon, especially with the Grand Californian DVC additions going in.

Comment

I think the main problem with me and posting ideas is this: I don't make super long posts. I tried, doesn't work, people still don't get it. And I don't link many pics, people are very visual and don't want to read, read, read, read... I don't think we're on the same wavelengths. Now I remember why I keep to myself and haven't posted an idea thread in a while.

I didn't mean to REACH towards Route 66, I meant completely REPLACE Route 66 with International Street.

How do you know how big Cops & Robbers Chase is supposed to be?

drownedprocess, were you just going to give me a link to your ideas, or did you even take a long at the original post and care to comment?

"The GR train concept they have been indicating IS the small Frontierland Mine type ride". Yes, bfdf55. You're basically just repeating what I said. I WAS aware of this fact. And I DID post an idea like just months before it was announced.

Ideas need to go back and forth, not one way only.

Why does it always seem comments left on Al's article tend to greatly differ in my posts? I know people have their own different opinions and I respect that, but it's starting to make me crazy.

-Jurassic Park

Comment

I think the main problem with me and posting ideas is this: I don't make super long posts. I tried, doesn't work, people still don't get it. And I don't link many pics, people are very visual and don't want to read, read, read, read... I don't think we're on the same wavelengths. Now I remember why I keep to myself and haven't posted an idea thread in a while.
                        Break them into specific paragraphs instead of letters... highlight the important parts. Everyone is different and some need more info then others.

I didn't mean to REACH towards Route 66, I meant completely REPLACE Route 66 with International Street.
                        Considering how vital 66 was to the development of California PRIOR to the Freeway system I would highly recommend plussing 66 not dismantling it.

I believe he is talking about physical size per the original plans. I realize ANY attraction can be modified, not sure what the exact plan would be, and what budget cuts didn't take physical limitations of real estate might!

drownedprocess, were you just going to give me a link to your ideas, or did you even take a long at the original post and care to comment?
                        was this necessary?

"The GR train concept they have been indicating IS the small Frontierland Mine type ride". Yes, bfdf55. You're basically just repeating what I said. I WAS aware of this fact. And I DID post an idea like just months before it was announced.
                        everytime they build a mountain 100's of people think there should be a train through it. Did Disney cave, possibly, but there are PLENTY of individuals on here who have either thought of this, or posted this. I can't see a need to justify spending that much in retrofits... but ultimately my say means squat.

Ideas need to go back and forth, not one way only.

Why does it always seem comments left on Al's article tend to greatly differ in my posts? I know people have their own different opinions and I respect that, but it's starting to make me crazy.
                        Welcome to MiceChat where EVER article, and opinion, has a multitude of dimensions and sparks both praise and protest. You made a point of commenting on most of the other posts, what are your thoughts on the comments related DIRECTLY to Little Mermaid?

I like opinions, which is mainly why I frequent these boards. I enjoy creative people and some of your thoughts make sense, others I can't see happening. People say the same thing about me though so who cares.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                          Considering how vital 66 was to the development of California PRIOR to the Freeway system I would highly recommend plussing 66 not dismantling it. Welcome to MiceChat where EVER article, and opinion, has a multitude of dimensions and sparks both praise and protest. You made a point of commenting on most of the other posts, what are your thoughts on the comments related DIRECTLY to Little Mermaid?

I like opinions, which is mainly why I frequent these boards. I enjoy creative people and some of your thoughts make sense, others I can't see happening. People say the same thing about me though so who cares.
                          It was discussed before that "CARSland" will probably ultimately be the superior representative of Route 66 down the line. So that's where I'm going and supporting.

I thought a lot about the pros & cons of TLM in Disneyland Resort... Disneyland or DCA. It just narrows down to DCA would need it more and Disneyland has lots of dark rides and attractions to cater for that park. We've got Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland which I like but know many don't because "it's a toy". A basic idea for Toy Story Midway Mania is the toy prizes come to life. But "it's Pixar, it's gonna be just like Buzz". Some people are arguing if Soarin' Over CA is supposed to be a simulator or if you're supposed to think you're gliding. And also that hang gliders isn't all too significant in the history of aviation and for a desert airfield, I believe. So the rumors of Condor Flats becoming part of Grizzly Area seems okay to me. Just seems like they'll move the Condor Flats theme closer to "Carsland".

I do value different opinions. It just seems like I attract more haters than constructive criticism.

-Jurassic Park

Comment

Timber Mountain was conceived as a Mine from the very beginning. I believe the Calico Mine Ride opened about the same time as the log ride, or at least the tracks were laid in advance.

Grizzly River was supposed to be this expansive forest---all nature. Very very different from an industrial mine. That's why it feels kind of jarring that you'd have a train barreling on through the forest disrupting nature. That Mine Ride is loud too. You need ear plugs, what with the speakers, and the putt-putt-putt of the engine. I do love it, but it totally doesn't belong in Grizzly Peak.

I think a Restaurant would be less disruptive, but something with better food than Blue Bayou.
                            Last edited by Pisces; 10-14-2007, 12:13 PM.
                            2007 Photos:
                            More 2007 Photos:
                            2006 Photos:

Comment

It was discussed before that "CARSland" will probably ultimately be the superior representative of Route 66 down the line. So that's where I'm going and supporting.
                              feel

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bfdf55 View Post
                                  As for Cops & Robbers Chase, being that two side-by-side Mad Mouse coasters would be at least twice the size as one, the space required would also be at least (since that ride was actually THEMED) twice the size too.
                                  Not to point out a very basic flaw in your logic but if the coasters are racing then wouldn't it be side by side, which would technically double the track area but probably not double the actual footprint. Racing coasters do require more of a support system and footprint depending on size and design but to say it would physically double the size of the footprint is both unsubstantiated and realistically illogical.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                    Not to point out a very basic flaw in your logic but if the coasters are racing then wouldn't it be side by side, which would technically double the track area but probably not double the actual footprint. Racing coasters do require more of a support system and footprint depending on size and design but to say it would physically double the size of the footprint is both unsubstantiated and realistically illogical.

Comment

Just like the Matterhorn Bobsleds.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X