This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Your Favorite Disney Myth

I think my favorites are the Matterhorn falling over if the sub lagoon is drained, and of course even to this day I hear people in line behind me for Space Mountain talking about the loop...

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
      I love the Disney Jail one!
      Not a myth.

I have been in it. and I'm not joking.
      Originally posted by Grumpee
      I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
        Also, the old man listening to the banjo in the Bayou scene of POTC is Jean Lafitte.
        Or that the attraction is said old man's memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Duck44 View Post
          Not a myth.

I have been in it. and I'm not joking.

"I have frequented many jails in my travels, and can say, with certainty, Disney has a jail."---The Duck of Death

Comment

And by jail, I mean a room with an alarm on it. Their mind games of being consistantly polite and giving us truth serum which they called "water" did not work on us.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
              Least favorite, but amazing people bring it up: Walt was a Nazi.
              Just watch Family Guy :P nah just kidding hehe
              Mines are the Ghosts

Comment

Originally posted by Duck44 View Post
                And by jail, I mean a room with an alarm on it. Their mind games of being consistantly polite and giving us truth serum which they called "water" did not work on us.
                And Duck is correct. I spent a few hours in DL lockup when I was 17 as did the girl I was dating. The time spent there was well worth it.

Comment

we were incarcerated after 20 minutes in the park. Thank god admission was cheaper back then.

Comment

How about the attractions maintained in the fall-out shelters to entertain guests if something went bad during the Cold War? Or that the Disney family had their own "fire house loft" in a private fall-out shelter?

Comment

hear people in line behind me for Space Mountain talking about the loop
                      i had a co-worker once who swore by this myth!
                      sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

Other than the cryogenically frozen Walt...

Walt was a pedophile and that is why he created the park for little kiddies!
                        :smart: :music: :vogue: :razz: :wave:

Comment

I, too, like the myth that the Utilidor system originated at Disneyland. I've met countless people who insist that beneath Disneyland lies a vast system of tunnels housing maintenance areas, cast member hangouts, kitchens, etc. It's very difficult to convince them that there's actually just a couple of tunnels and some basement space below some of the buildings.

I've also heard once or twice that Pirates is located entirely underground, beyond the boundaries of Disney's property. This is obviously a corruption of the true fact that much of it is located below the ground level of NOS, in two buildings that have underground basements, with one of them being beyond the boundary of the park itself.

Comment

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
                            I love the myth about the penis-shaped tower on the cover of The Little Mermaid VHS.

guess you either haven't seen the "original" cover design or you don't know what the male anatomy looks like!
                            :smart: :music: :vogue: :razz: :wave:

Comment

My favorite myth is that Main Street is based on Marceline, MO. According to John Hench who did most of the concept art and design sketches for Main St, he based it on Fort Collins, CO where he grew up.

(From the book Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind-the-Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                                My favorite myth is that Main Street is based on Marceline, MO. According to John Hench who did most of the concept art and design sketches for Main St, he based it on Fort Collins, CO where he grew up.

(From the book Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind-the-Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real)
                                Even that may be a bit of myth. I'm aware of nothing that states MS is "based" on Marceline's Main Street, but it was meant to evoke the quintessential turn-of-the-century thoroughfare.

Some buildings may have been inspired by the buildings Harper Goff knew growing up in Ft. Collins (not Hench). City Hall, for example, has features of the old courthouse in Ft. Collins, but is not directly based on it. Many of the buildings on Main Street are composites.

Comment

This embarrassing thread credited to a "reliable source":

DCA announcement NOT HAPPENING!
                                  http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ing-80596.html
                                  "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                                    Even that may be a bit of myth. I'm aware of nothing that states MS is "based" on Marceline's Main Street, but it was meant to evoke the quintessential turn-of-the-century thoroughfare.

Some buildings may have been inspired by the buildings Harper Goff knew growing up in Ft. Collins (not Hench). City Hall, for example, has features of the old courthouse in Ft. Collins, but is not directly based on it. Many of the buildings on Main Street are composites.
                                    I was just about to correct that. Went and grabbed my copy. Thanks for beating me to it. Not sure why Hench was stuck in my head.

Yes, it is meant to evoke, not be based on. Hence the "myth" part of it. It is a myth that it is based on Marceline. It isn't directly based on Ft. Collins either. I know. I grew up 30 minutes from there. It doesn't look like that. But Mr. Goff did draw inspiration from what he knew.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X