This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventureland (Iowa)

In Altoona, Iowa, there is a theme-park called "Adventureland".

Now I am just wondering, this park has a lot of similarities with Disneyland/Walt Disney World.

Nara Dreamland and
    Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park were closed for copying Disney, now why not Adventureland?

Re: Adventureland (Iowa)

Do you have a link to it so we can check it out?

Comment

http://www.adventurelandpark.com/

I think there is a wiki to it... Let me find out.

Comment

Most theme parks are similar in the fact that they have rides and shows. It looks more like Cedar Point than Disneyland to me (unless I'm missing something).

What are the similarities?
        Foolish Mortal
        sigpic

Comment

Some Similarities:

- Entrance
          - POTC Music on a Pirate Ship
          - WDW HM tombstones on "Outlaw Gulch"

Comment

It really doesn't look much like DLR's Adventureland to me. I think they are safe.

Comment

Based on the map, I think it's far enough from being similar to DLR that it won't be an issue.
              It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

After spending MANY a-day at good ol' Adventureland, USA...

Yes, the entrance and Main Street areas are almost identical, and there are other little similarities that you mentioned (another would be a hidden stage a'la Tomorrowland Terrace), however the similarities end there. Adventureland is a great little park, and I do encourage anyone going to Iowa to visit. It's not Disneyland by any stretch (and it doesn't pretend to be), but it's still just a fun way to spend a day.

And a correction for Nara Dreamland, they closed simply because they went bankrupt, it was not closed because they copied Disney. As for the Beijing park, it's still open and operating.
                Last edited by AEGuy42; 10-14-2007, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AEGuy42 View Post
                  And a correction for Nara Dreamland, they closed simply because they went bankrupt, it was not closed because they copied Disney. As for the Beijing park, it's still open and operating.
                  That is what I understood about Nara too. Heck the TR (on another board) showed it was virtually empty on a weekend and everything falling apart. Nara=Bankrupt, as for the Beijing park, don't know, however with it being communist China, international law has a hard time dealing with violations from the Chinese empire. Even though Disney has a park in HK, which is now again under Chinese control, they still don't economically influence the Chinese government or authorities there. So if the Beijing park isn't operating I don't think it has anything to do with Disney intervention.

Now as for Adventureland, yes there are some quite striking similarities. The name for one, the entrance, the semi-copy of Mainstreet, etc. But I'll take a different angle. Adventureland is going to argue that the configuration of the entry and shops throughout the beginning of the park are taken from observing working models and find that it is efficient. As long as they don't infringe on Disney copyrights and trademarks they may base their model on a similar concepts. If this wasn't the case then Disney wouldn't have been able to build Splash Mountain which is a log flume ride which was implemented many years before Splash Mountain was built. So as long as their floral arangement don't feature Mickey's head and it isn't called Mainstreet, USA and the names of the shops aren't the same, and they didn't create a believable replica meant to deceive people into believe they were at a Disney park then I don't think Disney has any ground to stand on.

Now, if they are actually playing Disney copyrighted music on attractions, or using exact copyrighted phrases from Disney gravestones, then yes, they are going to get a letter. However it will most likely be a Cease and Desist order to stop using them. It might even lead to a lawsuit where Disney states that the said items created income for the defendant and they must pay back royalties. Disney is a huge corporation, however they don't have the power to just walk up to a park that has been operating since 1973 and say we think you copied us, so shut down now. They may be able to force a namechange and get them to stop some practices and collect some back revenues, but personally I think that is about it. If it goes to a jury vote, remember people love the underdog especially when they are going up against corporate giants. So that may be the simple reason why Disney has allowed this continue.
                  Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

It's not a Disneyland clone like Dreamland.

Comment

Have to go with the crowd on this one... more of a Cedar Faire rip, which isn't saying much because even that is a standard Amusement Park. The comical thing is that this kicks the crap out of DCA!
                      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

I had actually found this video last month. It seems to be neat little attraction. It really reminds me of the Calico Mine Train at Knott's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=R3vG95OQIP4

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X