This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA and Drought

I caught one of those interesting shows on PBS about native California gardens and it made me think. There are some places like Adventureland, and Rivers of America where Disney probably spends a fortune watering the plants. DCA would be an opportunity for them to put NATIVE California plants in, save some water, provide some shade, maintain theme in those areas, and highlight the whole water conservation philosophy. It was a pretty interesting show. It really shocked me how drought tolerant some native species are, including trees.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: DCA and Drought

I just saw that show too. Hosted by my favorite, Huell Howser. He sure was excited that they were using mulch for ground cover wasn't he!

Well Disney was going for a certain look and what is there certainly takes a ton of water to irrigate. They probably can throw in a lot more oak and sycamore trees, both which are native to Southern California in order to make it look more wooded. And then through in some manzanita or sage to fill in the gaps.

I suppose it can be done but they would have to tear out everything and then replant. And then to get a woodsy look they would either have to buy the plants fully grown or plant them when they are little and wait a few years. I know that there are oak trees in this area that are well over 500 years old so they would have to wait quite awhile.

Comment

Re: DCA and Drought

There are plenty of selections that grow faster, and in the more arid environments (Condor Flats and Carsland) there are PLENTY of plants that take practically nothing.
      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
      Working...
      X