This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report for Oct. 12-13th

Well I have to say for the first time in my life I had a real bad trip to DL.

First of all we went down for the Halloween Party and to our surprise instead of the 3,000 guests that got to go into the Halloween Party last year there was about 10,000 guests in there! There was no feeling of being at a special event at all and there were no where near enough cast members there in the park to handle the event. Every line was long and everywhere you went there was a crowd!

There were lines 30 deep at each candy stop and it was impossible to get in for a picture with most of the characters. Once you did get to the front of the line the cast members were giving you 1 or 2 pieces of candy at a time... guess that is why they switched to the little bags this year!

Last year only 4 of us went and we filled the larger bags to the top before 10:30 that night and put them in a locker. This trip we went with 8 people and we could not even fill the smaller bags they gave us throughout the entire event and brought home less then half of what we did last year. Last year we got to ride all of the rides time and time again and enjoy the night and this year we could hardly get onto the rides let alone be able to ride our favorites a few times that night.

The bottom line to it is there was just way to many people in the park for the Halloween Party and for them to raise the price of the tickets on us from last year to this year without giving us something in return is not working for me. The only thing I saw from last year to this year is out with the Snickers and in with the Kissables. Nothing else!

Now over to DLP itself. We spent the day over there on Saturday and yes IJR was down as it was on Friday as well without warning or explanation from a cast member at the park as to why and how long. Lines at the park were not to bad for the rides, but for some reason food service at the park was a joke. People were complaining and upset at the lack of care or service in the park all day long. We were over at the Hungry Bear at lunch time and it took almost 35 minutes to order and get our food. Once we did some of it was cold, how I can not figure out since it comes right from the back and onto our plates, but nevertheless it was.

Next was over at the Pizza Port later that night when we decided to go ahead and eat there since we were in the area as Space Mountain shut down for technical problems while we were in line. We go into Pizza Port to find a bunch of people just standing around looking lost because there were no trays for the food. Once they did bring "some" trays over we got our food and then found out that there was no soda because they were having a problem with the machines. OK... we water it up, pay for our food and go sit down outside to eat since that was the only place left to eat there and find that those who got pizza got a half cooked slice of pie since they were trying to rush food out instead of cooking it the right way the first time. Back in they go to get it replaced and guess what... they were not the only ones as the line for pizza took 30 minutes to resolve the matter.

It was just one bad thing after another it seemed on this trip. We normally go for 4 or 5 days so this trip was a quick in and out for us. But I have to say overall it was a very hard trip to come home happy about. We all know things happen from time to time, but on this trip everything just got compounded and it took away from the fun we normally would have and all of us always wanting to go back a few months later. You know when the trip goes good and you feel special even though there are thousands of people right there with you, you don't mind paying the VERY high prices to be in the park and experience it. But when things went as they did on this trip and you sit down and look at what it cost you to go there you start to think about your options. Very sad when you are the kind of family that makes 3 or 4 trips a year down to the park.
    Real fans "STICK" with it!

Re: Trip Report for Oct. 12-13th

i can categorically say that everything you listed would not have really bothered me. i get to spend maybe 20 hours in the park a year so even if i had to put up with heards of strollers , long lines , broken rides (when my brother and i went in Jan of 04 Indy , Big Thunder , Space Mountain , and Pirates were all down for refurb ) , no soda and cold food i would still look back fondly on the trip.

My Maleficent tattoo

Comment

Never eat during the lunch or dinner rush. Eat before or after. On a recent Friday we went to the Tomorrowland Terrace at 11AM and got our food in less than 5 minutes.

That being said, as much as things improve in the parks, some things stay the say. Dining is atrocious at Disneyland and the food is mediocre, and has been for a long time. There is a reason people go across the street.

Comment

I waited in lines for candy and for photographs at the Halloween Treat event last year, and I think I would expect that for an event with limited candy stations. I remember thinking last year that Disney should really control the amount of candy also, since we got way more than we could use (and everyone else was bragging about that as well).

There's no excuse for bad service in the restaurants, which Disney handles day in and day out, although, as Pressler69 pointed out, it helps if you avoid the meal time rush.

Comment

Last year they were really strict about the candy limit too. They'd give 1 or 2 pieces for most of the night but then at the end of the night would give more. Especially on halloween night since it was the last night of the event. We hardly got anything in ours bags until the end of the night and then they were overflowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatttoons View Post
            But when things went as they did on this trip and you sit down and look at what it cost you to go there you start to think about your options. Very sad when you are the kind of family that makes 3 or 4 trips a year down to the park.
            Cost can't be too much of a problem if you're going 3-4 times a year.

OMG you didn't get all the candy you thought you would?

OMG you mean you didn't get a phone call about Indy being down?

OMG the park was so busy that you had to wait in long lines for your food and also as a result of it being crowded you didn't get a tray when you wanted?

Feel entitled much?

Comment

There's always a first!

Sometimes one unfortunate thing can turn into multiple things if you let them.

We enjoyed the Halloween Treat on Oct 5, and were VERY pleased with the evening. And left with bags VERY full. In fact, they were handing out handfulls of candy. We didn't have to stop at every one to get our sugar fix. And the choice of apples, raisins and carrots was a nice addition.

TOT was walk-on, as well as Monsters. The other ones were just a few minute wait.

As far as the rides go, nothing is guaranteed. If they are open and running, great! If not, we just go onto the next one. Rides can and do break down occassionally. No explanation necessary, and we don't go running to City Hall to whine about it.

Restaurants will be busy during peak times, no doubt about it. It goes with the territory. As with others, we eat off-schedule to avoid that scenario.

Maybe your next trip will be better...

Comment

That's too bad how DCA was packed. I am going later this month and while I can care less how much candy I get I don't want it to be packed.

As far as the food service is concerned, I hate to sound mean, but welcome to Disneyland. This is one area of service that they consistently fail to impress. If it isn't one thing it's another. Next time you go I suggest not to expect too much when it comes to the food service. Sadly this is becoming more and more the norm rather than the exception.

Comment

Sorry you had a bad trip.
                  I hope y'all have a better time next time.
                  "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

My new motto for 2008 - "If you will live like no one else today, later you can live like no one else." - Dave Ramsey.

Comment

It's like going to Costco on Saturday afternoon, you EXPECT it to be crowded. If you hate the crowds, then go on a Tuesday morning when it's dead. Honestly I'm surprised your were surprised.

Go Trick or Treating on Halloween night, and I bet you get enough candy to keep your dentist happy for a long time......
                      Janette

Comment

Sometimes you go on a good day some bad. As much as I love disney I can tell you sometimes you get the magic and sometimes you dont. When you dont go to city hall and let them know. Of all the companys they are the one that actually does take complants serious. Dont let people get to you when you want to vent and they think disney can do no wrong. Hope next time you get to go on a good day. Also when you are there and you are haiving a bad day, try not to get upset, I have and when I look back I realize that in the end its not worth it. Just try to do what you can. If food lines are too long go across the street, besides the blue byou the food at dl is really not worth it. hope you have fun next time.

Comment

MOD NOTE: Please remember you can attack the post, not the poster. Because someone did not have a good trip or has something negative to say does not entitle anyone to attack them for talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Villains Fan View Post
                            MOD NOTE: Please remember you can attack the post, not the poster. Because someone did not have a good trip or has something negative to say does not entitle anyone to attack them for talking about it.
                            On that note, I'd like to welcome the OP to MC, and thank him/her for proving that you can write a TR about bad things happening and not come off sounding like a whiny 12 year old.

Other than that, sorry you had such a bad time, but occasionaly the Happiest Place on Earth is run by the Most Innept Management on The Planet. When Disney does the hard ticketed events they set a certain level of expectation... IMO they need to work a little harder at meeting those elvated expectations that they themselves set.
                            :sc:-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food.":sc:

Comment

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
                              Never eat during the lunch or dinner rush. Eat before or after.
                              Every book. Every expert. EVERY ONE ALWAYS GIVES THIS ADVICE.

So why doesn't anyone follow it? Or are people following it, and that's why the food lines ARE ALWAYS SO LONG?!?!
                              It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Comment

I pretty much had the same experience this weekend. The crowds in Disneyland were ridiculous without Indy to suck them up! Disneyland actually stayed open an hour later on Thursday because of the crowds. I wonder if everyone did what I did, "The first weekend in october will be busy because of Gay Days. The third will be busy because of CHOC. The last weekend will be busy because it's the last weekend for Halloween.... BETTER GO THE SECOND WEEKEND!!" Of course I didn't know that some schools were on break on the West Coast. That too added to the crowds.

Ah, well. I still had fun!
                                It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Comment

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. I hope that you were still able to have a good time even if there wasn't as much candy, the lines were long and Indy was shut down.

Comment

For the original poster: Don't let the haters get you down. Thanks for sharing your experience...it's always good to know the good and the bad things that are happening. I think you did a good job of explaining how things compounded on each other--you weren't just on to complain about one silly thing, but instead sharing how a bunch of little things came together to make a bad experience.

And, for the record, I think it's appropriate to compare this year to last year. It was different, and apparently not as good. That's fair to share--and to me is a shame. Those hard ticket events ain't cheap!

Still, all negatives aside, try again in the future...sometimes negative things just come together, and it would be a shame to miss out on the fun in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
                                      Never eat during the lunch or dinner rush. Eat before or after. On a recent Friday we went to the Tomorrowland Terrace at 11AM and got our food in less than 5 minutes.

That being said, as much as things improve in the parks, some things stay the say. Dining is atrocious at Disneyland and the food is mediocre, and has been for a long time. There is a reason people go across the street.

Im so sorry you had a bad trip.

Your right pressler Everyone is going out of the park to eat. And I agree The food is not that good.

On the topic, I hope your next trip will be a much better one.

Comment

Wow! Hard to believe that I was there on the same two days (also at the DCA Halloween Event on Friday the 12th). And had an absolutely GREAT time!!

I was also at the Halloween Treat last year..ok, maybe it was a few less people, but my group (All Jedi! There was about 7 - 8 of us total) just had the time of our lives. We laughed till we hurt, interacted with all the characters, made a huge joke about the massive amounts of candy we got (seriously..we didn't feel cheated at all! Actually it was obscene the amount we were each given). Met more wonderful people than we could count, and the CM's went above and beyond.. just laughing and joking with all of us! We got on every single ride we wanted, very little (if ANY) wait time..

And basically closed the event, laughing so hard we were almost crying, and already making plans to go back again next year. (and running into the TIE Pilot and the Imperial Officer at almost every place we turned ) LOL

As for Sat. Yup, crowded, but again, the CM's went above and beyond... EVERYWHERE we ate (including BB) ...service (and food) were great! More laughing, more joking, got to go pretty much on everything we wanted. (Normally we go on Indy and TSI).. Saw they were down..No Biggy...Hey..it happens..joked a bit with the Indy CM's and again, had an absolutely GREAT time!

So, while I'm sorry the OP had such a bad experience, for our group...one of the best trips ever. To semi-quote Obi-Wan..."Its all from a certain point of view."

And an aside note to the CM's who were working the Halloween Treat on Fri (Oct 12), and DL on Sat (Oct 13) .. THANK YOU!! For a great and magical time..the laughs, the smiles, the jokes, the incredible service, and the fun.

YOU GUYS (AND GIRLS) ROCK!!!!!!!:thumbup:
                                        Originally posted by migo
                                        I poop with joy!
                                        Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X