• Show
Clear All

• It's Official -- DCA Accouncement on WSJ Online

Disney's $1 Billion Adventure
    Planned Five-Year Revamp of Its California-Themed Park
    Aims to Boost Attendance by Mirroring Neighbor Disneyland

By MERISSA MARR
    October 17, 2007
    ANAHEIM, Calif.—Since its 2001 debut, the Walt Disney Co. theme park Disney's California Adventure has floundered in the shadow of its legendary neighbor, Disneyland. To fix it, Disney is now planning a $1.1 billion overhaul -- the most extensive makeover the company has ever given to a theme park.

Disney's California Adventure theme park, next to Disneyland, celebrated its grand opening in 2001.
    Article in its entirety here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119257768823361264.html
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 10-16-2007, 09:31 PM. Reason: Copyright Issues, credited story via link

Re: It's Official -- DCA Accouncement on WSJ Online

Holy crap I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just as Main Street harks back to Walt Disney's hometown of Marceline, Mo., in the early 1900s, California Adventure's new entrance will trace the footsteps of Walt Disney from when he arrived in Los Angeles in the 1920s, these people say. Similar to Disneyland's iconic castle, the redesigned park will feature a replica of Hollywood's former Carthay Circle theater, where Walt Disney premiered the movie "Snow White" in 1937.

That sounds incredible!!!

The new-look park also will be expanded by around 12 acres and will bulk up its attractions, with a heavy emphasis on animated movies created by Pixar, including "Cars" and "Toy Story."

nice!

"Guests have told us that when they stand in California Adventure, they don't have an emotional connection to it."

Ya got that right

18-year-old season-pass holder Megan White made a standard complaint: "Disneyland is a magical place, but California Adventure is just a theme park you can get anywhere." Ms. White, of Valencia, Calif., adds she spends most of her visits at Disneyland, only entering California Adventure for one or two rides because it has "no imagination."

right on!

California Adventure was the result of a years-long attempt to build on Disneyland's success. In 1991, Disney originally announced it was working on a plan to build Westcot, a West Coast version of Disney's Florida park, Epcot, which had opened nearly a decade earlier.
    I wish they would have done that.

But Westcot came with a price tag of as much as $3 billion and, according to these people, Mr. Eisner got cold feet after the new Disney park outside Paris became a financial and public-relations nightmare.

supid eisner

In 1995, Disney ditched Westcot. In the summer of that year,

NOOOOOOOOO
    Mr. Eisner held a three-day retreat in Aspen, Colo

That sounds kinda fun!

When the park opened in 2001, visitors complained the park was light on rides and that the ones there lacked the imagination of Disneyland hits such as the indoor roller coaster Space Mountain. As a brigade of Web sites savaged the park, a perception set in that it was a dud.

dud indeed

"What we missed the mark on was not having enough for young kids compared to the Magic Kingdom," he says. He quickly added new rides: The vegetable garden was replaced by A Bug's Land, based on the 1998 Pixar movie "A Bug's Life."

Oh yea that totally fixed all the problems......not

Disney also later added a $100 million attraction called The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

That helped!

An initial idea was to combine Disneyland and California Adventure, creating a massive park that required one ticket.

That would be messed up.

This summer, Disney hired theme-park consultant Bob Weis to oversee the new project.

GO BOBBY!!!

The remake is a complex undertaking, according to people familiar with the situation. Disney plans to keep California Adventure open during the five-year project, a plan that will require visitors to navigate construction zones

A perfect oportunity for spy shots!!!!!

Mr. Weis will add a new area called Cars Land,

Funny I always imagined "carsland" to be one word....
    The centerpiece will be a cutting-edge attraction in the style of Disneyland's popular "Indiana Jones" ride.
    :yea:Holy crap i am freaking out!!!!!!:thumbup:

Addressing criticism of Paradise Pier, Mr. Weis plans to add a flagship ride based on the 1989 animated movie "The Little Mermaid"

That should prove to be very interesting.

and another on the 1995 feature "Toy Story," the people say
    \

The people say?

. The Mulholland Madness ride,

BOOOOOOO

which re-creates a careening drive along a famous Los Angeles street,

Ya right

Others, like the Maliboomer thrill ride, are likely to be axed.
    How about we have a party with chapagne and we can all watch it blow up yaaaa!!!!

It is still unclear what will happen to the name, as the company sees appeal in the words "Disney," "California" and "Adventure," these people say.

These people say?

......some unusual relics will be left untouched for now, including the tortilla-making factory.....
    MMMMMMMMMM toltillas!!!

I will probably never sleep tonight................

:thumbup::yea::yea::yea::bow::yea::yea::yea::thumb up:
    Last edited by Mtsplash; 10-16-2007, 07:04 PM.
    Click here for most recent TR with night shots of Tomorrowland! (WDW)

WDW Photo update <Hidden Mickeys - Details - and SM with the lights on>

Comment

One word - WOW!

Comment

So Al was right...
        -Jack :geek:
        Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
          So Al was right...
          NOPE! It is still Tuesday, even on the East Coast. More proof of the LIES!

Comment

That is neat!! They really need to do something.

Comment

Mr. Pressler, who left Disney in 2002, says the park suffered from comparisons to its successful neighbor, but he denies the budget was ever a problem. "What we missed the mark on was not having enough for young kids compared to the Magic Kingdom,"
              Magic Kingdom...?

Yeah, yeah...I know. Nit picking, but come on, it's Disneyland.

And that kids...was my problem with Paul Pressler.
              :sc:-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food.":sc:

Comment

I find this article to be very exciting news, not for the information about the park, but for the tone. While Pressler still tried to cover himself, it seemed like Disney is not going to contest that this is being done to "fix" Disney's California Adventure. No lines about long terms plans delayed due to unforseen outside economic conditions.

Comment

Fake until officially announced by Disney

LETS SEE SOME ART AND DETAILSSSSSSS

Comment

Originally posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
                    Magic Kingdom...?

Yeah, yeah...I know. Nit picking, but come on, it's Disneyland.

And that kids...was my problem with Paul Pressler.
                    Disneyland is Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. It is a nickname that goes right back to the days of Walt. It is where the Magic Kingdom (WDW) derived its name, instead of being Disneyland East.

Comment

So Al was right...
                      Who said he was wrong?
                      -Wes

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley815 View Post
                        Who said he was wrong?
                        From what has been said in other threads on here and other sites, a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                          Disneyland is Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. It is a nickname that goes right back to the days of Walt. It is where the Magic Kingdom (WDW) derived its name, instead of being Disneyland East.
                          I know...I know, but here's my point.

When was the last time anyone here said...

I'm going to the Magic Kingdom for a hub meet on Sunday at noon.
                          :sc:-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food.":sc:

Comment

Wow, I simply cannot wait. Time to renew my AP again!

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
                            HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
                            ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
                            FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

WDW MiceChatters?

Comment

I don't look into the more general discussions, but the phrase "Magic Kingdom" is used quite often in the more debate oriented topics about Disneyland.

Comment

I want to be excited, but I can't when I read this:
                                  The new-look park also will be expanded by around 12 acres and will bulk up its attractions, with a heavy emphasis on animated movies created by Pixar, including "Cars" and "Toy Story."
                                  Sigh.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
                                    I want to be excited, but I can't when I read this:

Sigh.
                                    That is incorrect information. The only Toy Story ride is Midway Mania and the CARS ride (which will be a lavish E-ticket) is just 1 ride in the HUGE carland which will be themed to California's car culture.

and they cancelled the Ratatouille ride and will use the money for something else so stop your belly aching.

Comment

From what has been said in other threads on here and other sites, a lot of people.
                                      and some people (ok maybe one person) doesn't really know who Al is, doesn't read wherever he writes and does not care......and frankly is tired of hearing the nitpicking back and forth about him.

At any rate, the dca plan sounds nice.

Comment

if this can be trusted as reliable information i am sooo excited!! i'm not getting my hopes up though until i see some concept art and a few more details from disney.
                                        Katie :love:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X