This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's Official -- DCA Accouncement on WSJ Online

Cool. I google image'd Carthay Circle Theater. . .could make a nice looking 'wang' for the new hub if they do it right. I'm thinking they could make it--at least at night--look like there's always a movie premiere going on, with limousines and red carpets and searchlights dancing in the sky.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

Comment

Am I the only one that would actually miss the MaliBoomer?? I wonder what other rides they are considering removing. I will say that the idea for the new entrance and the replica of the theatre sounds amazing. I know this is a ways off but wouldn't they have to maybe close down the monorail so that they could redo part of the track, where it goes over the golden state bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
        That is incorrect information.
        That is correct information. They are, and have been, using Pixar properties in an attempt to invigorate all Disney parks. It's not belly aching at all.

While I enjoy some Pixar attractions and dislike others, I am weary of Carsland because of the condition the Paris version is in. The movie is also not as classic or timeless as Toy Story. On the other hand Toy Story Mania! happens to fit thematically with the land its in and looks to be the big turnaround for detail and theming in DCA. In general I have mixed feelings on the whole Pixar issue and think they could tone it down a little. It's definitely a valid concern and your attitude about his "belly aching" is unnecessary.

The next E-Ticket is based on Cars? That is a heavy emphasis, just as the article says.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmay View Post
          Cool. I google image'd Carthay Circle Theater. . .could make a nice looking 'wang' for the new hub if they do it right. I'm thinking they could make it--at least at night--look like there's always a movie premiere going on, with limousines and red carpets and searchlights dancing in the sky.
          The theatre still hosts numerous premieres, sometimes a few a week, it would be a great addition to Anaheim. Here's some info from a previous thread regarding the 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' premiere:
          The film's December 1937 premiere had to have been an by "invitation only" event considering the level and number of the day's movie stars that were in attendence. Plus its setting, The Carthay Circle Theatre in Westwood (now known as the Mann Village Theatre), many prestigious and legendary films premiered there locally such as 1939's 'Gone With The Wind'. Theres a copy of the original newsreel footage on the film's Platinum Edition 2-Disc DVD set, it also features a look at the film's publicity and production, wonderful stuff.
          http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...circle+theatre
          "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Mr. Pressler, who left Disney in 2002, says the park suffered from comparisons to its successful neighbor, but he denies the budget was ever a problem.
            We knew you would, Pressler. It's just like you to live in denial and attest that you were still right, while the rest of the world admits the failure that is DCA and now must have over a billion dollars pumped into it because of your budget cutting.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            "What we missed the mark on was not having enough for young kids compared to the Magic Kingdom," he says.
            Incorrect. What you missed the mark on was not having enough for the whole family. If you really want to make Disney's California Adventure "a second Disneyland" like mentioned in the article, you need to create some awe-inspiring attractions with original and universal ideas, like Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion, which can be enjoyed by all age groups. If "young kids" were the only age group that is being ignored, A Bug's Land and Playhouse Disney would have solved the problem.
            Last edited by 2DieFR; 10-16-2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
              While I enjoy some Pixar attractions and dislike others, I am weary of Carsland because of the condition the Paris version is in.
              There is no Carsland at the Walt Disney Studios Paris. It is Toon Studios, with three small attractions based on Cars, Finding Nemo, and Aladdin.

Comment

[quote=2DieFR;2245355]We knew you would, Pressler. It's just like you to live in denial and attest that you were still right[/quote]An estimated 750 million for DCA versus an estimated 3 billion for DisneySea, built at roughly the same time. Yeah, it wasn't the budget...

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                  There is no Carsland at the Walt Disney Studios Paris. It is Toon Studios, with three small attractions based on Cars, Finding Nemo, and Aladdin.
                  It's a version of Carsland nonetheless and could be an indication of things to come.

Even if Carsland did manage to impress with a great E-Ticket, does Cars emotionally resonate with many people?

Comment

It's a version of Carsland nonetheless and could be an indication of things to come.
                    No, it isn't. It is one attraction and some surroundings. Nothing like a land. That is like claiming that the Astro Orbitor is a land based on a mountain-based observatory.

Even if Carsland did manage to impress with a great E-Ticket, does Cars emotionally resonate with many people?
                    If presented in the context of car culture, yes, it probably does.

Comment

An estimated 750 million for DCA versus an estimated 3 billion for DisneySea, built at roughly the same time. Yeah, it wasn't the budget...
                      No kidding. It even says in the article that Eisner got "cold feet" after the initial losses from the lavish spending on Disneyland Paris as a reason the budget for the resort project got slashed and ended up being $1.4 billion.

Uh huh, not the budget.
                      Last edited by 2DieFR; 10-16-2007, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I agree with your qualms about Cars' resonance, but the Paris Hollywood Studios is not a version of carsland, it's an extremely small, extremely simple kiddie ride.
                        Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
                        Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
                        Disneyland Paris: 2010
                        Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
                        Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
                        Efteling:2011
                        Lotte World: 2012

Comment

So let me get this straight they thought it was a thematic nightmare so they decide to stuff it full of Little Mermaid, Toy Story, and Cars while emphasizing the 1920's Los Angeles theme... umm
                          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                            So let me get this straight they thought it was a thematic nightmare so they decide to stuff it full of Little Mermaid, Toy Story, and Cars while emphasizing the 1920's Los Angeles theme... umm
                            Fuzzy logic, indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                              No, it isn't. It is one attraction and some surroundings. Nothing like a land.
                              I worded it incorrectly. I didn't mean that it was anything like a whole land. But the theming there could be an indication of what kind of theming we may see in the new Carsland, but on a much larger scale.

Comment

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                                The theatre still hosts numerous premieres, sometimes a few a week, it would be a great addition to Anaheim
                                The original theatre which was located on San Vicente Ave. in Los Angeles was torn down in 1969, and replaced by an office building in 1970. Looking at the before and after pictures made me more than a little ill.

Still the idea that this:

Could be replaced by something like this:

...makes me swoon a little
                                Last edited by TrojanSkippa; 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM.
                                :sc:-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food.":sc:

Comment

I worded it incorrectly. I didn't mean that it was anything like a whole land. But the theming there could be an indication of what kind of theming we may see in the new Carsland, but on a much larger scale.
                                  I do not see a $1 billion investment as any sort of indication of a financial situation similar to the one that faces Euro Disney SCA.

Comment

If their new Pixar rides aren't any better that Monsters, Inc. is, they may as well leave it all as is.
                                    sigpic....If you can dream it, you can do it.--Walt Disney

Em Eye See, Kay Eee Why, Em Oh You Es Eee!

Are you a Disney Goddess? Me too! Check out my new T-shirt design here:

http://www.zazzle.com/Disney_goddess...88578286472471

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post

Interesting thought and maybe I am not understanding the post but...

I was under the impression that the 1920's Los Angeles emphasis would solely be for the New "Main Street" like entrance, similar to the emphasis of a 1900's Main Street in Disneyland and how it does not play into the theme of the rest of the park.

On another note: Could Disney be ditching the 'California' theme along with the name?

It is still unclear what will happen to the name, as the company sees appeal in the words "Disney," "California" and "Adventure," these people say. But there is a big risk in leaving it the same.
                                      Last edited by ROBONICS95; 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM.
                                      "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Comment

I gotta say it's a poorly written article.... Even for WSJ

For those interested, here's a link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1192...googlenews_wsj

(From the way it was written, I was positive it was fake. I guess I was wrong)
                                        Visions Fantastic!

Comment

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X