X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's Official -- DCA Accouncement on WSJ Online

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
    Hey, not so fast there...
    Trust me...John Lasseter & Bob Weiss ain't fooling around. It's time for a glimpse of the new Walt Disney Imagineering...or should I say W.E.D. Enterprises?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
      Trust me...John Lasseter & Bob Weiss ain't fooling around. It's time for a glimpse of the new Walt Disney Imagineering...or should I say W.E.D. Enterprises?
      I hope you're right, friend. I hope you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sosai X View Post
        I have always considered DCA to be the Bizarro version of Disneyland: a cold, empty, lifeless clone. Disneyland is warm and alive. Walt's personal touch can be felt almost anywhere. DCA has always had the feel of being at the mall. Everything is off-the-shelf, paint-by-numbers. It feels rushed and incomplete. Let's hope they really do take the time to imagineer the park the way it should have been from the very beginning, lest we end up like this again:

(in case it went over your head, putting lipstick on a pig doesnt make it any more beautiful.)
        Hahahahaha! Here's a copy of a post I made 8-9-07

The "how-the-heck-could-anyone-possibly-call-it-a-hidden-Mickey"
        on Screamin' is ONLY the tacky icing on the entire tacky cake that
        is ALL of Paradise Pier ~ any dressing up of the lame theme in this
        entire area (pp) is equivalent to lipstick on a pig at a county fair.
        nice to see a pic of paradise pier with an "Update" that would
        not entail bulldozers ~ hopefully the Billion $ plan IS the one
        with SEVERAL Bulldozers!
        Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
        An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
        Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
        Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
          I am sorry but how does this article make it official. The article has many innacuracies and most of the information she gave is heresay.

She clearly makes it apoint to say constantly "A person in the Know". If it was anything official the information would clearly say that the information is coming from the Walt Disney Company. Even the quotes from Jay Rasulo are old.

Is Al wrong --- NO
          Is the expansion and investment coming -- Yes

but not until the Walt Disney company releases a statement is it Official
          Good thing that Bob Iger, CEO of Walt Disney Company, will be leading a press announcement on this very issue about 12 hours from now in Glendale.

Once Bob unveils the artwork and gives his candid speech about needing to fix DCA, will it then be official enough?

Comment

Yeah, lets hope so lol!! I have to say, even though some of the theming issues with the attractions are a little off for me, overall this is an exciting, exciting day for DCA!!! The last time I was excited for this park was 2004 when TOT opened--that's it.

Hopefully now, with some REAL creative types in charge and not just another mall like it basically it is now, DCA can feel like a true Disney park in every sense of the word and not in title only!

RIP mediocrity: 2001-2007

Comment

Not quite true. While it it CarsLand, it's not Cars(The Movie)Land.

It is a land that will be about the California Car Culture with an ATTRACTION based on the Disney/Pixar movie Cars. The "Land" will be based off of Radiator Springs (even though it's never clear in the movie where Radiator Springs is) but since we are losing the desert theme in Condor Flats I think the area fits quite nicely.

I'm anticipating some attractions in the area that are completely unrelated to movies. PLEASE Disney, give us a couple of attractions in the area that are unrelated to movies.

Comment

Originally posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
                Disney needs to just stop, sit down and decide what their themes are...then work on adding in new attractions...

We need non-film-based attractions! That doesn't make them automatically great, but there's just no...creativity, like the girl said. No imagination.

I agree!!! .

And yes, I know people are complaining about the appropriateness of The Little Mermaid, but I think it could work if they work with the theme well enough. Yeah yeah, the story is Danish...do they ever clarify that in the film? Nope.

No, but I'm pretty sure, for example, that the clothes that are worn in Eric's kingdom are Danish in style. Anyhow, it's definitely set in a kingdom, not California.

However, I declared my support for The Little Mermaid in Paradise Pier in another recent thread, if only because it goes better in the ocean themed Paradise Pier than it does in San Francisco .
                "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                Disney sequel):
                Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

I am beyond thrilled Tony Baxter's LM ride will finally see the light of day nearly 20 years after first being proposed. Being an east coaster I wouldn't mind a LM ride in our Fantasyland at WDW's "Magic-less" Kingdom.
                  WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Comment

Tony Baxter's Little Mermaid dark ride lives!!!!!

Tokyo Disneysea level environment themeing is coming!!!

Cars e-ticket will be on the scale of the Indiana Jones adventure or better!!!

DCA 2.0 = TRUE SECOND GATE!

From the sounds of a lot of it, I'd asy more like DCA 2.0 BETA.

Comment

From the ver, very little I've heard so far...

Disney is throwing good money after bad. The lessons of immersive, cohesive theming that DL once taught so well until recently have not been learned, and seem alomost in fact to have been discarded--by Lasseter, Baxter, and the some others.

Instead of hiring new Imagineers, how about re-hiring some that really knew their stuff: Eddie Sotto comes instantly to mind.

I wish the project luck, and will enjoy following its progress. But from what I've heard so far, color me less than impressed.

Comment

Does anyone know what time the press conference is scheduled for?

Comment

Three cheers for Bob Iger! Hip-hip, hooray; hip-hip, hooray; hip-hip, hooray!
                          "We are the change we've been waiting for! Yes we can!"

Comment

Originally posted by zach1 View Post
                            Does anyone know what time the press conference is scheduled for?
                            Apparantly 9am PST
                            http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom...ion=2&symb=DIS
                            Disney Announces Significant Expansion Plan for the Disneyland Resort
                            Multi-Year Build-out Plan Includes Major Attractions and a New "Cars Land" at Disney's California Adventure
                            GLENDALE, Calif., Oct 17, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The Walt Disney Company (DIS) today unveiled a significant multi-year expansion plan for the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim that continues its growth as a multi-day, world-class tourist destination.

Announced by Disney President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger and Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo at a press conference at Walt Disney Imagineering's Glendale headquarters, the expansion will bring new entertainment and major family-oriented attractions to Disney's California Adventure, including an entirely new Cars Land inspired by the hit Disney/Pixar animated film Cars.

"The success of the Disneyland Resort over the past few years provides us with both the opportunity and the need to invest for growth, to enhance and expand the experience for our guests and attract new visitors, while at the same time delivering attractive returns on the investment," said Iger. "This plan is a reflection of our belief in the bright future of the Disneyland Resort and our continuing commitment to grow the Anaheim Resort Area as a world-class tourist destination."

Disney Imagineers will be bringing more of Walt Disney into Disney's California Adventure, celebrating the hope and optimism of California that attracted Walt to this land of opportunity in the 1920s. Guests entering the new Plaza will be instantly immersed in the world that inspired Walt during his early days as an animation pioneer. The new, interactive Walt Disney Story attraction will set the stage for the unfolding story of Walt that will permeate the park.

The expansive program reaches throughout Disney's California Adventure, with an amazing Little Mermaid attraction, a groundbreaking, signature nighttime spectacular and new viewing area for 9,000, and the addition of the 12-acre Cars Land featuring the world of Radiator Springs with three new attractions. Extensive landscaping, new retail and dining will create an even richer environment throughout the park in ways that reinforce Guests' connection with Walt.
                            "Our Disneyland Guests have a deep emotional connection with Walt Disney, whose life story really captures the pioneering spirit of California in the 1920s," said Rasulo. "The creative evolution of Disney's California Adventure will connect guests to Walt's own California adventure and reflect the place that he found when he first arrived with a cardboard suitcase in his hand and a head full of dreams."

The expansion is part of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' overall growth strategy of continuing to invest in its core business of existing parks and resorts around the world, while exploring new opportunities to capture more of the growing family vacation market. This announcement follows Disney's ground-breaking last month for a 250-room expansion of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, including 50 rooms dedicated to the West Coast debut of Disney Vacation Club, the company's growing time share business.

Multi-day, World-Class Tourist Destination

Today's announced expansion builds upon the transformation of the Disneyland park into a multi-day destination resort that began in 2001 with the creation of the Disneyland Resort and the opening of Disney's California Adventure Park, Downtown Disney and Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.
                            Since then, the Disneyland Resort has continued to grow with the addition of popular attractions and shows, including: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!, Block Party Bash, High School Musical 2: Schools Out!, Disney Princess Fantasy Faire, and Jedi Training Academy, along with the re-Imagineering of Space Mountain and enhancements to Pirates of the Caribbean.

"This expansion builds on a commitment we made more than a decade ago to create and grow the Anaheim Resort Area as a world-class tourist destination where guests would want to stay for more than one day," said Disneyland Resort President Ed Grier. "That investment has become a success for Disney, the Anaheim community and for the economy of Southern California."

According to the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau, Anaheim is one of the fastest-growing tourist destinations in the country, enjoying some of the highest hotel occupancy rates in the nation and attracting millions of visitors each year who spend billions of dollars.
                            Coming to Disney's California Adventure Over the Next Several Years

In addition to the new themeing and attractions, Disney's California Adventure will receive new restaurant and retail innovations, landscaping to enrich the placemaking, facade and graphics enhancements, and an extensive menu of entertainment and events.

Disney's California Adventure is already home to some of the Disneyland Resort's highest-rated attractions and shows, including: Soarin' Over California, California Screamin', The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and the Broadway-caliber show, Disney's Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular.

Cars Land
                            The expansion will culminate with an entirely new, 12-acre addition: Cars Land, immersing guests into a world inspired by the hit Disney/Pixar movie, Cars, playing to America's love affair with automobiles.
                            Radiator Springs Racers, a major "E-ticket" attraction, places guests right in the middle of the amazingly detailed, dimensional Cars world of Mater, Lightning McQueen, Doc and Sally. Guests get a quick race briefing from Doc and Lightning, and suddenly find themselves in the midst of a race around hairpin turns and steep banks.

Cars Land increases capacity to the park with two additional immersive family rides, featuring Luigi and Mater from the movie. Cars Land represents an unprecedented level of collaboration between Pixar Animation Studios and Disney Imagineering to create this extensive new area. The new land will substantially extend the total area of Disney's California Adventure park.

Paradise Pier
                            Paradise Pier will host major new attractions beginning next summer with the opening of Toy Story Mania!, a ride-through, interactive adventure where Guests ride into a high-energy 4-D carnival midway hosted by Toy Story characters. Woody, Jessie, Buzz, Hamm and the gang come to life in amazing ways, immersing guests in the rich stories of the Pixar blockbuster Toy Story films.

A major ride based on Disney's classic The Little Mermaid comes to the park's Paradise Pier with leading-edge animation and special effects. Guests will dive into the magnificent scenes and magical songs from the movie. A Mermaid Grotto area with a fountain and sand castle will offer new play experiences for children.

Unique Nighttime Spectacular

The dramatic and unique Disney's World of Color will bring new nighttime excitement to Paradise Pier. This nightly panorama of spectacular water effects, colorful lighting and music will bring Disney animation to life with an entirely new creative and technical approach. The 9,000 person viewing area offers prime waterside viewing of the show - and provides a site for live entertainment, music festivals, and outdoor film premieres.

Entry Plaza and Gateway

The totally new gateway to Disney's California Adventure welcomes guests into an immersive world of historic California streets as Walt experienced them as a young artist arriving with big dreams.

A new visual icon in the tradition of Los Angeles, California's great entertainment palaces will draw guests into the heart of the attractions. This new facility, which was inspired by Los Angeles' historic Carthay Circle Theatre that premiered Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937, will house a next generation Walt Disney Story featuring an interactive tribute to Walt's California experiences, and his entertainment legacy that continues world-wide today. Red Car trolleys reminiscent of the old Pacific Electric Railway will travel up and down the main street. New dining and shopping experiences and a slate of unique, live entertainment will bring energy to the Walt Disney Plaza.

Hollywood Pictures Backlot

Hollywood Pictures Backlot will be a new home for a slate of special ticketed events and chances to hear first hand from innovative directors, writers and animators. An update of the popular family show "Playhouse Disney" will provide an experience for younger children.

Golden State

The "Golden State" area of the park will see the addition of numerous new dining opportunities tied to the incredible bounty of California's farmland and its rich ethnically diverse food heritage. Food and wine festivals that celebrate the seasons, tastes and cultures of the dynamic communities of the Golden State will entertain guests, bringing unique one-of-a-kind experiences.

Preview Center

A Preview Center located on San Francisco Street in the Golden State region of the park will feature models, Imagineering concepts - giving park guests a sneak peek at the excitement that lies ahead. The Preview Center is scheduled to open in late 2008.

EDITORS NOTE: For related images, please visit www.disneylandnews.com after 11 a.m. Pacific time on October 17th.

SOURCE: The Walt Disney Company
                            Last edited by MollyTrolly; 10-17-2007, 08:26 AM.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

"EDITORS NOTE: For related images, please visit www.disneylandnews.com after 11 a.m. Pacific time on October 17th.
                              "

FTW!!!!
                              All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Junthor View Post
                                "EDITORS NOTE: For related images, please visit www.disneylandnews.com after 11 a.m. Pacific time on October 17th.
                                "

FTW!!!!
                                This wait is going to be absolutely killer!

Comment

Here are some related comments from Blue Sky Disney..

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/

Phase One is pretty much set in stone... soon to be in concrete. That doesn't mean that the Mouse will reveal all of them now. Only part of the plan will be revealed. The rest will come in an announcement earlier next year that focuses on the completion of this phase. Also around the beginning of the year will see more surprises about what's in store for the Resort in general. This has a lot to do with SOAR and Disney wants to keep spreading the good news about more and more plans the company has for Anaheim. This is all in an effort to show the community that there is much ahead over the next decade. Iger and the Board think that it's better to release it piece by piece so that the projects planned for the Resort appear more important if spread out over an extended time instead of all at once.

So expect a steady stream of Disney announcements over the next year or so concerning Anaheim.
                                  Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

After reading ALL of this I am glad they are doing something but fear they will overall make it worse then it already is. Part of the charm of most Disney parks, is their own unique identity and ability to embrace you and remove you from the outside world. DCA is about as immersive as Magic Mountain and from what I am reading they plan on tossing any sense of theme. We'll put a Talking Car here... some Monster's there... Welcome to 1920's L.A. by the way... then a Mermaid over here and oh yeah we'll keep the Grizzly but we need a few food stands an a giftshop... this thing will be the Frankenstein Monster of Disney THEME Parks... just MO. Oh forgot we also need a water show that is better then Knotts and a couple more coasters while we're at it.
                                    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

>>this thing will be the Frankenstein Monster of Disney THEME Parks... <<

It already is that now.

At least it will become more lush and pleasing - - but will it make any thematic sense given the modern franchise properties showcased? Not really. Whether all of it will add up to charming will depend on execution.

If they cut back on show budgets like usual and don't deliver exciting experiences, it will fizzle. If everything is better than what people expect (and from the "main street" model, that may prove true of the environments at least), it will succeed. They'll have to commit.

But it may never, ever be a cohesive themed experience.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                          Not quite true. While it it CarsLand, it's not Cars(The Movie)Land.

It is a land that will be about the California Car Culture with an ATTRACTION based on the Disney/Pixar movie Cars. The "Land" will be based off of Radiator Springs (even though it's never clear in the movie where Radiator Springs is) but since we are losing the desert theme in Condor Flats I think the area fits quite nicely.

I'm anticipating some attractions in the area that are completely unrelated to movies. PLEASE Disney, give us a couple of attractions in the area that are unrelated to movies.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X