X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werner
    • Jul 2005

It's not such a Small World, after all

Al's article on the re-building of "It's a Small World" got me thinking -- why are they spending millions on this? Why not just continue to size up the passengers and spread out the heavier guests on more boats? Is there really that much of a capacity issue? Furthermore, what's next? Pirates? Now that's a little different I suppose -- there is no "trough" system like "Small", but still, I wonder if it won't need to be re-built as well? Kinda scary to think about how the entire park may need to be "supersized" eventually.
  • JeffYardDog
    MiceChatter
    • Nov 2006

Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

Originally posted by Werner View Post
    Al's article on the re-building of "It's a Small World" got me thinking -- why are they spending millions on this? Why not just continue to size up the passengers and spread out the heavier guests on more boats? Is there really that much of a capacity issue? Furthermore, what's next? Pirates? Now that's a little different I suppose -- there is no "trough" system like "Small", but still, I wonder if it won't need to be re-built as well? Kinda scary to think about how the entire park may need to be "supersized" eventually.
    Yeah, that'll be good guest service:

"Why can't we ride together ?"

"Your family's too fat"

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
      Beach Expert
      • Sep 2006

From what I have heard the building itself needs to be retrofitted. I have heard that they might even need to tear off the roof and put a new one on.

Comment

• TrojanSkippa
        Once A Skip Always A Skip
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
        Yeah, that'll be good guest service:

"Why can't we ride together ?"

"Your family's too fat"
        Went to Disneyland with Pasadena City College a few years back. Bunch of us Tuba players got on Space Mt. and had to have our rocket quickly pulled off to the side (this was pre-rehab). The reason,5 fat tuba players and Bassbone weighed too much to ride, Bassbone eventually got out of the rocket...we thought it was hysterical...him not so much.
        :sc:-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food.":sc:

Comment

• Junthor
          DL Nerd
          • Apr 2007

When I was on Small world Last week We were leaning during some of the ride as was the boat in front of us....

I've never felt like that on Pirates....
          All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

• aashee
            Skeevy Ray Vaughan
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
            Went to Disneyland with Pasadena City College a few years back. Bunch of us Tuba players got on Space Mt. and had to have our rocket quickly pulled off to the side (this was pre-rehab). The reason,5 fat tuba players and Bassbone weighed too much to ride, Bassbone eventually got out of the rocket...we thought it was hysterical...him not so much.

So the "Hey! There's no weight in space!" plea didn't fly?

Chad

Comment

• Koutesu
              Koubu Pilot
              • Jul 2005

Something they've already been doing is leaving the middle rows empty or having the larger groups take up more rows. They seem to put 2 adults in a row. One time, I saw the boat in front of mine going through with all the weight on one so that it was leaning. Pirates is different since those boats are much larger than small world's.

Comment

• Pressler69
                Sock Puppet
                • Oct 2007

It isn't just to fix the flume. The entire attraction is getting a refurbishment, from the dolls to the set pieces. It's a good thing.

Comment

• pineapplewhipaddict
                  DoleWhipDrea
                  • Apr 2005

Jeff said it best.

It's just better if Disney makes the attraction more accommodating to today's audiences.

I do hope, however, that in 50 years, they won't have to do this over again...hmm.

Comment

• Alpine
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jul 2006

The boats are 40 years old, and first of a kind before designs incorporated easy maintenance. Those boats you see out there are the same boats in the background of pictures with Walt, having carried literally millions of people each around the world for 14 hours a day year round. Same for the flume and dolls that dance just as much.

It's not only because of heavy people, that just happens to be a new (really pretty minor) issue and a good story.

Comment

• KISSman
                      Progressive Disneylander
                      • Dec 2006

I think it's getting re-done because they plan on having IASW around for a long time. The attraction is in desperate need of attention anyhow. Might as well do it all at once.

Comment

• Neverlandtink
                        Me and Tommy Kirk
                        • May 2005

I think it's a great idea to rehab it. The facade definitely needs some cleaning up, and it would be great to see all the dolls in a section instead of the usual MIAs I've encountered. If the boat issue will make for a safer attraction then I'm all for that as well.

It does make me wonder though, why people are getting bigger these days compared to 40 years ago. Not crazy about that idea.

Comment

• BoygunaSurf
                          Boat shoes all day long
                          • Jan 2006

I am proud to be American, but sometimes I really get frustrated with the over all physical health of our fellow citizens. It isn't a matter of prejudice, it is a matter of self respect and responsibility. How much longer is that Nation-wide overweight-percentage they talk about on Fox News going to continue to go up?
                          Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                            MiceChatter
                            • Feb 2005

[quote=Alpine;2245920]The boats are 40 years old, and first of a kind before designs incorporated easy maintenance. Those boats you see out there are the same boats in the background of pictures with Walt, having carried literally millions of people each around the world for 14 hours a day year round. Same for the flume and dolls that dance just as much.[quote]

Exactly. This is the original flume and the original boats from the worlds fair. Wasn't built to last 40+ years.

Comment

• Leviathan
                              Guardian Construct
                              • Oct 2005

I am just glad they wil be cleaning it up. being as fat as I am I wont say much about fixing the size thing. Would be nice if my fat did not help to sink a boat! :blush:

Comment

• bloodnswash
                                MiceChatter
                                • May 2007

Originally posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
                                There's a lady that my husband works with. This lady and her husband are extremely large. In fact, she goes around saying how "fat" they are. Yes, that is the word she uses. A couple years ago her and her husband were on Small World and got their boat stuck. She laughed and laughed. Her and her husband thought it was the funniest thing.

Considering that the boats are 40+ years old, they sure look like they are in great shape to me. As for the flume...it looks pretty good too. Definitely could use a paint job, though.
                                "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

sigpic

Comment

• Hippie
                                  DCA lover
                                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
                                  Jeff said it best.

It's just better if Disney makes the attraction more accommodating to today's audiences.

I do hope, however, that in 50 years, they won't have to do this over again...hmm.
                                  No, they shouldn't. I am overweight now, but at one time was REALLY HUGE (close to 300), way more huge than is healthy by any means. There were attractions at Knotts, Magic Mtn, and State Line that I either could not ride, or had to squeeze in so much that I did not feel safe riding. However, NEVER did I have this problem at Disneyland, I could ride anything and everything I wanted. "Today's audiences" is crap. If someone cannot fit on a ride at Disneyland, the problem is not the person, not the ride. I know all about medical problems and genetics and stuff, and I know how tough it is to be overweight and lose weight etc, etc, but there is NO EXCUSE to be too big to fit on a ride at Disneyland.

Comment

• 3rdshiftCM
                                    I love my family!
                                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Werner View Post

Like so many have said the ride trough and boats have reached the end of there operational life.

I'm just glad the park is being proactive about it and doing the work before something falls apart.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X