Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's not such a Small World, after all

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's not such a Small World, after all

    Al's article on the re-building of "It's a Small World" got me thinking -- why are they spending millions on this? Why not just continue to size up the passengers and spread out the heavier guests on more boats? Is there really that much of a capacity issue? Furthermore, what's next? Pirates? Now that's a little different I suppose -- there is no "trough" system like "Small", but still, I wonder if it won't need to be re-built as well? Kinda scary to think about how the entire park may need to be "supersized" eventually.

  • #2
    Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

    Originally posted by Werner View Post
    Al's article on the re-building of "It's a Small World" got me thinking -- why are they spending millions on this? Why not just continue to size up the passengers and spread out the heavier guests on more boats? Is there really that much of a capacity issue? Furthermore, what's next? Pirates? Now that's a little different I suppose -- there is no "trough" system like "Small", but still, I wonder if it won't need to be re-built as well? Kinda scary to think about how the entire park may need to be "supersized" eventually.
    Yeah, that'll be good guest service:

    "Why can't we ride together ?"

    "Your family's too fat"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

      From what I have heard the building itself needs to be retrofitted. I have heard that they might even need to tear off the roof and put a new one on.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

        Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
        Yeah, that'll be good guest service:

        "Why can't we ride together ?"

        "Your family's too fat"
        Went to Disneyland with Pasadena City College a few years back. Bunch of us Tuba players got on Space Mt. and had to have our rocket quickly pulled off to the side (this was pre-rehab). The reason,5 fat tuba players and Bassbone weighed too much to ride, Bassbone eventually got out of the rocket...we thought it was hysterical...him not so much.
        :sc:-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food.":sc:

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

          When I was on Small world Last week We were leaning during some of the ride as was the boat in front of us....


          I've never felt like that on Pirates....
          All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

            Originally posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
            Went to Disneyland with Pasadena City College a few years back. Bunch of us Tuba players got on Space Mt. and had to have our rocket quickly pulled off to the side (this was pre-rehab). The reason,5 fat tuba players and Bassbone weighed too much to ride, Bassbone eventually got out of the rocket...we thought it was hysterical...him not so much.

            So the "Hey! There's no weight in space!" plea didn't fly?

            Chad

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

              Something they've already been doing is leaving the middle rows empty or having the larger groups take up more rows. They seem to put 2 adults in a row. One time, I saw the boat in front of mine going through with all the weight on one so that it was leaning. Pirates is different since those boats are much larger than small world's.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

                It isn't just to fix the flume. The entire attraction is getting a refurbishment, from the dolls to the set pieces. It's a good thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

                  Jeff said it best.

                  It's just better if Disney makes the attraction more accommodating to today's audiences.

                  I do hope, however, that in 50 years, they won't have to do this over again...hmm.




                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

                    The boats are 40 years old, and first of a kind before designs incorporated easy maintenance. Those boats you see out there are the same boats in the background of pictures with Walt, having carried literally millions of people each around the world for 14 hours a day year round. Same for the flume and dolls that dance just as much.

                    It's not only because of heavy people, that just happens to be a new (really pretty minor) issue and a good story.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

                      I think it's getting re-done because they plan on having IASW around for a long time. The attraction is in desperate need of attention anyhow. Might as well do it all at once.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

                        I think it's a great idea to rehab it. The facade definitely needs some cleaning up, and it would be great to see all the dolls in a section instead of the usual MIAs I've encountered. If the boat issue will make for a safer attraction then I'm all for that as well.

                        It does make me wonder though, why people are getting bigger these days compared to 40 years ago. Not crazy about that idea.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

                          I am proud to be American, but sometimes I really get frustrated with the over all physical health of our fellow citizens. It isn't a matter of prejudice, it is a matter of self respect and responsibility. How much longer is that Nation-wide overweight-percentage they talk about on Fox News going to continue to go up?
                          Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

                            [quote=Alpine;2245920]The boats are 40 years old, and first of a kind before designs incorporated easy maintenance. Those boats you see out there are the same boats in the background of pictures with Walt, having carried literally millions of people each around the world for 14 hours a day year round. Same for the flume and dolls that dance just as much.[quote]

                            Exactly. This is the original flume and the original boats from the worlds fair. Wasn't built to last 40+ years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: It's not such a Small World, after all

                              I am just glad they wil be cleaning it up. being as fat as I am I wont say much about fixing the size thing. Would be nice if my fat did not help to sink a boat! :blush:

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X