• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Awful Truth: Admitting the DCA problem and the road to recovery

"Guests have told us that when they stand in California Adventure,
    they don't have an emotional connection to it."

- Jay Rasulo; Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

It's the awful truth.

The news has finally been made offiical by the news media - the $1.1 billion revamp of DCA is happening, and refreshingly, Disney is being blunt about it. Finally, no longer are we hearing about the great 55-acre exciting theme park next door to Disneyland, but instead Disney is more openly admitting the failure that is Disney's California Adventure.

Admitting there's a problem is the first step to recovery, and hopefully this time around the right choices are made.

But obviously the road to recovery isn't going to be easy. The price tag is a big one, and the careful nursing of the troubled park into health is going to be difficult. We've had discussions already about the previously-rumored Ratatouille, Carland, and Little Mermaid attractions slated to be added to DCA during the overhaul. Luckily, Remy is staying in Paris, but we still have a fictional Arizona town of cars planned to make an appearance and a Danish mermaid setting sail for California.

Why?

This isn't a DCA bashing thread. It really isn't. It's a thread to make one last final plea to Walt Disney Imagineering, the Walt Disney Company, and Disney theme park fans everywhere to scrap these ideas. Forget the success of these properties. Forget the fan communities 18-year hopes of a Little Mermaid attraction. Forget the retail opportunities for Cars-themed Hot Wheels in the park.

Just, for one moment, forget about those things and think about what makes a Disney theme park special. Think about a park's ability to take guests to another place. Think about the park's ability to take us back in time, or transport us into the future, all within the context of the themed area you're standing in.

And then, after remembering what makes Main Street USA or New Orleans Square special, think about The Little Mermaid and Radiator Springs. Think about how neither of these are in California. Think about how neither of these can properly maintain a California theme. Think about how these could potentially shatter the delicate themed California fiction created in the re-vamped DCA. Think how these new thematically invalid attractions could counter-act the new 1920s Los Angeles-themed entry plaza - an area that could be a beautiful, emotionally-charged area - and render the new effort in quality theming and showmanship pointless.

The road to recovery for Disney's California Adventure is going to be a long one - currently planned to be a five-year trek. That's five years, and one billion dollars to make the park a shining star. That's one chance to give us a park that is worth $66. That's one chance to make a park that will create an emotional connection with guests. Don't blow it by force-theming ideas and attractions that don't belong.

Make that emotional connection work with real themes, unique experiences, and spectacular showmanship.

"Disneyland is a magical place,
    but California Adventure is just a theme park you can get anywhere."
    - Megan White, 18.

Make Disney's California Adventure a magical place. What do you say?
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 10-26-2007, 10:24 PM. Reason: typo

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Re: The Awful Truth: Admitting the DCA problem and the road to recovery

If this thread were a petition, this post would be me signing it.

Disney, please listen to the reasonable and thoroughly beneficial suggestions made here. Decide on a theme for the park and then stick with it, and don't be afraid to eschew movie tie-ins if you have to. Think about Disneyland's most popular rides (such as Space Mountain, Pirates, HM, Splash, Big Thunder, the Matterhorn, etc.) and then think about how many of them are firmly based on currently popular films. There's a lot to be learned from this. A chance to "redo" DCA on this scale may not come again. Please think really hard about what you're about to do, and make sure it's a decision for the long-term good.

Comment

There are two ways to think about the situation, the ideal and the reality.

Ideally I would want to see a theme park with a cohesive theme throughout, preferably not about California. You know, something like Westcot or DisneySea.

Realistically, this upgrade isn't going to create a cohesive theme. It isn't going to make the park stand alongside Disneyland or DisneySea. It is however going to be a vast improvement and a make DCA a park worth paying a premium price for.

I see it as a buffet of mostly unrelated lands and attractions. The transitions aren't all there and the attractions don't contribute to the overall theme, but each individual area or attraction will impress or entertain.

It'll be better than MGM, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Disney Studios Paris, and maybe even Animal Kingdom, but it won't be a magic kingdom or a place where imagination and adventure set sail.

To respond to some of your comments about the appropriateness of The Little Mermaid and Cars.

The Little Mermaid certainly has nothing to do with California. But it could be an attraction that has the potential to emotionally touch people, and could stand alongside the great Fantasyland dark rides. I support this attraction because I don't really care if it contributes to the park's central team at this point. That ship sailed when the park was built.

While I am weary about Carsland, yet another Pixar property infiltrating Disney Parks, it has more to do with California than you think.
      The Disney/Pixar movie Cars is set mainly in the fictional town of Radiator Springs, located on Route 66 and bypassed by I-40. Radiator Springs was based largely on Amboy, California and Seligman, Arizona, actual Route 66 towns that saw a rapid decline when I-40 opened in the early 1970s. The film was originally titled Route 66, but had its name changed to avoid confusion with the 1960s-vintage TV show. It opened June 9, 2006. Several familiar sites associated with Route 66 appear in the film, including a visual homage to the Cadillac Ranch, the U-Drop Inn in Shamrock, Texas and the Wigwam motels in Holbrook, Arizona and on the border of San Bernardino and Rialto in California. The Historic US 66 sign depicted in this film is the Arizona-specific version of the Historic US 66 sign.
      It's all about California.
      Last edited by Pressler69; 10-17-2007, 01:41 AM.

Comment

I think what MasterGracey is saying is that it's not quite too late to push the reality a little closer to the ideal. Yes, it's probably too late to create a totally cohesive entity out of DCA, but it's possible to do a better job of that than the current plan would/will. The "buffet" layout can be acceptable if two conditions are met:

1. The food in the metaphorical buffet is really good.
        2. The buffet doesn't claim to be anything other than a buffet.

You can do a lot with a billion dollars. I would heavily encourage Disney to think very hard on this, and perhaps return to a basic principle of this sort of business that can actually work very well: the more you blow the guests' socks off, the more they will want to pay you money so they can come back again with more pairs of socks, and the more they will tell their friends just how badly they need to lose their socks, too.

Like I said before...how often are chances like these going to be green lighted?

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
          I think what MasterGracey is saying is that it's not quite too late to push the reality a little closer to the ideal. Yes, it's probably too late to create a totally cohesive entity out of DCA, but it's possible to do a better job of that than the current plan would/will. The "buffet" layout can be acceptable if two conditions are met:

1. The food in the metaphorical buffet is really good.
          2. The buffet doesn't claim to be anything other than a buffet.

You can do a lot with a billion dollars. I would heavily encourage Disney to think very hard on this, and perhaps return to a basic principle of this sort of business that can actually work very well: the more you blow the guests' socks off, the more they will want to pay you money so they can come back again with more pairs of socks, and the more they will tell their friends just how badly they need to lose their socks, too.

Like I said before...how often are chances like these going to be green lighted?
          I agree. If DCA dropped the "California" aspect, and turned the park into a park that encompassed multiple themes, crossing various boundaries (much like the Magic Kingdom parks) then I'd be fine with it. The problem is that DCA is NOT dropping the California theme. It's actually enhancing it, including making the entry plaza 1920s Los Angeles.

If DCA wants to become a "buffet" then fine - but be straightforward with it. Don't be a buffet dressed up as a full-service restaurant.

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post

Ideally I would want to see a theme park with a cohesive theme throughout, preferably not about California. You know, something like Westcot or DisneySea.

Realistically, this upgrade isn't going to create a cohesive theme. It isn't going to make the park stand alongside Disneyland or DisneySea. It is however going to be a vast improvement and a make DCA a park worth paying a premium price for.

I see it as a buffet of mostly unrelated lands and attractions. The transitions aren't all there and the attractions don't contribute to the overall theme, but each individual area or attraction will impress or entertain.

It'll be better than MGM, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Disney Studios Paris, and maybe even Animal Kingdom, but it won't be a magic kingdom or a place where imagination and adventure set sail.

To respond to some of your comments about the appropriateness of The Little Mermaid and Cars.

The Little Mermaid certainly has nothing to do with California. But it could be an attraction that has the potential to emotionally touch people, and could stand alongside the great Fantasyland dark rides. I support this attraction because I don't really care if it contributes to the park's central team at this point. That ship sailed when the park was built.

While I am weary about Carsland, yet another Pixar property infiltrating Disney Parks, it has more to do with California than you think. It's all about California.
          Cars does have everything to do with California. Lightning McQueen spends most of the movie trying to make it to Los Angeles. But Radiator Springs isn't in California, and I've proven this already in another thread.

I don't mind a Cars attraction. But I don't want a Radiator Springs attraction. If we must have a Cars attraction - let's have it at the Los Angeles International Speedway, not in Radiator Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
            But Radiator Springs isn't in California, and I've proven this already in another thread.
            Who cares? Move it to California. That whole desert area in California, Nevada, and Arizona might as well be California anyway. It all looks the same to me.

The reason I'm against Carsland is because while the movie is entertaining, I don't think it has a timeless appeal.

But I'm for Carsland because I don't like the California theme in general. Besides I've never been on Test Track. It could be neat.

Comment

Who cares? Move it to California. That whole desert area in California, Nevada, and Arizona might as well be California anyway. It all looks the same to me.
              That sort of thought process is what got us attractions like Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

"It's a contemporary toy? Who cares, he's in outer space, which is totally futuristic!"

"It's a British stuffed animal? Who cares, he looks like a critter in the American frontier!"

Comment

That sort of thought process is what got us attractions like Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
                You're talking about Disneyland now, and I have different thoughts about Disneyland than I do DCA. Like I said, I've written off DCA years ago, and these plans, while an improvement, don't impress me like a Disneyland or a TDS do. I don't care about attractions unrelated to the central theme in DCA. I simply don't.

Your plea is futile. These are the plans, and while they may change, I don't think they are going to abandon the Carsland or Little Mermaid ideas. Enjoy the California concepts they are designing like the 1920s Los Angeles entrance, Hollywood, and the Golden State, and let us have our Little Mermaid ride.

Comment

"It's a contemporary toy? Who cares, he's in outer space, which is totally futuristic!"

"It's a British stuffed animal? Who cares, he looks like a critter in the American frontier!"
                  I'm sorry, Pressler69, but I'm gonna have to side with MasterGracey on this. Contradictions like this can be acceptable if the attractions/lands involved are truly great, but if they're not great, the contradictions become fodder for even more criticism and ridicule.

Comment

I'm sorry, Pressler69, but I'm gonna have to side with MasterGracey on this. Contradictions like this can be acceptable if the attractions/lands involved are truly great, but if they're not great, the contradictions become fodder for even more criticism and ridicule.
                    In a perfect world I would agree with MasterGracey too. But DCA just wasn't built with that kind of cohesion in mind, and I don't think 1.1 billion is enough to bring it to that level, a level currently occupied by Disneyland after Indy but before the New Tomorrowland, Epcot before Mission: Space, The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, or the current Tokyo DisneySea.

The plans as they currently are, are enough for me to bring it up to a solid 2nd gate. Not quite Disneyland, but something you can be proud to pay full price for.

Comment

You're talking about Disneyland now, and I have different thoughts about Disneyland than I do DCA. Like I said, I've written off DCA years ago, and these plans, while an improvement, don't impress me like a Disneyland or a TDS do. I don't care about attractions unrelated to the central theme in DCA. I simply don't.

Your plea is futile. These are the plans, and while they may change, I don't think they are going to abandon the Carsland or Little Mermaid ideas. Enjoy the California concepts they are designing like the 1920s Los Angeles entrance, Hollywood, and the Golden State, and let us have our Little Mermaid ride.
                      Just because you've written off DCA doesn't mean that its right to do so. Clearly, Disney is taking this opportunity to make DCA a worthwhile counterpart to Disneyland. Disneyland draws much of its success from the theme concept. If Disney continues to allow DCA to remain a thematic mixed bag, then it has the potential to keep failing.

Clearly, park theming is an issue that Disney is acknowledging as evidenced by the plan to re-theme the entry plaza and Paradise Pier. So if creating actual themed environments for park guests is important, it should also be important for there to be no contradictions with the themed environments and the attractions housed within those themed environments.

Disney has an opportunity to make DCA a park that can truly impress people like you and me who seek a park that has quality on the level of Disneyland, or dare I say, Tokyo DisneySea. By throwing in the towel and saying that you've written DCA off years ago and don't care anymore if new attractions make no sense is allowing Disney to continue to sell us a mediocre park under the banner of a new-and-improved theme park, which is what was DCA's problem to begin with.

Comment

In a perfect world I would agree with MasterGracey too. But DCA just wasn't built with that kind of cohesion in mind, and I don't think 1.1 billion is enough to bring it to that level, a level currently occupied by Disneyland after Indy but before the New Tomorrowland, Epcot before Mission: Space, The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, or the current Tokyo DisneySea.

The plans as they currently are, are enough for me to bring it up to a solid 2nd gate. Not quite Disneyland, but something you can be proud to pay full price for.
                        Do you not believe Disney still has the financial and creative ability to create something original and fun? Recycling old ideas has gotten...well, old. As I mentioned above, I feel that crowds over time are far more attracted to well-done original attractions than to ones that heavily depend on other franchises that may or may not be popular after a few years. Once something is established as a classic, it seems fine to base attractions on it, but doing so before then is riskier.

Cars is not yet a classic; The Little Mermaid more or less is, though that really doesn't fit into any sort of cohesive theme. No, DCA wasn't built with future cohesion in mind, but I can't help but hear your words as an effort to throw in the towel. It's better to be somewhat cohesive than to simply give up altogether.

Comment

Do you not believe Disney still has the financial and creative ability to create something original and fun?
                          Yes.

Unless OLC is financing.

Comment

Do you not believe Disney still has the financial and creative ability to create something original and fun?
                            Hey didn't they just come up with some new cocktail menu ideas? That shows they retain at least "some" level of creativity. As long as they keep servin' alcohol then DCA is gonna be okay. I think a carsland would be great - with a carsbar!

CARS-BAR-land!

Cocktail Menu Ideas? A TOW-MATER Mary!
                            A lightning McQueen Kamakazi!
                            A MR. The King Hurricane
                            A Cozy Cone Cosmopolitan

The list could go on and on...

And what about Golden Dreams? Talk about a comedy! What an imagination Disney still has!
                            Hey that gives me an idea for yet another drink;
                            A Golden Dream Whoopie Wallbanger! (in honor of "Califia").
                            sigpic
                            Did I just say that?

Comment

I have to agree with the OP, if Disney is going to spend so much money from this failure, why not go all the way and theme it properly?? I always, ALWAYS thought the California theme was a mistake and sadly, after 6 years, the company has only proved it while not only getting rid of some of the original stuff that actually SAID California, they haven't added a single, not one, attraction that says California in any way. Now, it sounds like they are going to heighten all the area's of the theme, but not build any attractions or shows with this money??

Listen, if the marque didn't say Disney California Adventure, I be all with the new additions 100%, but it just seems to go back to the fact the 'C' in DCA is really just in name mostly and its said.

With atll that said thoug, I am looking forward to the Little Mermaid ride .

Comment

Cars the film was an absolute love-letter to the real Route 66, which is part of the quintessential idea of the road trip to California. So even if Radiator Springs isn't technically in California (and I don't think its exact location is firmly established in the film) it at least has some relation to the California mythos.

I think that if the California theme is going to work, we might have to concede that some attractions - or even lands - will take us outside the state's borders, the way that Pirates takes us from New Orleans to the Caribbean. Large and diverse though California may be, DCA has the narrowest theme of any Disney theme park. No other Disney park is thematically limited to one country, much less one state. But, as with Pirates, there must be some connection, and some sort of transition - otherwise, drop the California theme and put that billion bucks towards creating a theme that will work.

I must say, though, I don't think the reason I've listed above has much to with why Carsland got the green light from the head hanchos - Cars merchandise is the reason. According to Al, why aren't we getting the Ratatouille coaster? Because putting Ratatouille on Paradise Pier is like putting caviar on a corn dog? No, because Ratatouille (allegedly) didn't sell enough merchandise.

To me, The Little Mermaid as the signature attraction of San Francisco was a potential thematic travesty. The Little Mermaid on Paradise Pier and merely exiting into San Fransisco is much more workable. At least Paradise Pier has some ocean-related theming. Sure it's the wrong ocean, but...at least it's not the signature attraction of San Francisco!

My main question is how it would be presented. Would they just park Prince Eric's castle (which was in the front of the model Tony Baxer was standing over in a photo from Al's previous update) somewhere alongside Paradise Pier - I'm not totally against that, if it at least went visually with whatever they do with architecture of Paradise Pier. Or would they try to make it into a pierside carnival dark ride? That might be problematic for me - a ride that admits it's a ride, but then wants us to become absorbed in the story.

I do think DCA is in danger of developing a split personality. As it currently stands, Pixar films are all set in the present, and so is DCA - they at least have that much in common. However, once these changes go into effect, DCA will become more of a period park like DL, a park where you "leave today." (Many of Al's updates mention specific time periods like the 1920's for the entrance and the 1930's for HPB.) And yet, almost all the plans we've heard about call for more Pixar attractions. So far, the only plan I've seen to build anything original was the train for GRR - and according to Al, that's been shelved. Where is the distinctly San Francisco attraction? Where is (another) distinctly Hollywood attraction? (I think there's enough of a Hollywood/showbiz mythos to squeeze another attraction besides ToT out of it) Where is something else California-related we may not have thought of, but I'm sure some brilliant mind at Imagineering has? Nowhere to be seen.
                                "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                                Disney sequel):
                                Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                                Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                                Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                                Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                                Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

Simple solution ... ditch the California theme and make it a Disney Movies Park.

All of the changes have to do with movies. Little Mermaid, Carland (and the cars attraction). The Theatre where Snow White Premiered.

One thing I do disagree with the articles is that we are somehow drawn to the name Disney's California Adventure.

Uh, not quite. Even though I like DCA, I've always felt it was a stupid name.

Comment

While I am weary about Carsland, yet another Pixar property infiltrating Disney Parks, it has more to do with California than you think. It's all about California.
                                    And herein lies the problem. California. It was the problem when the park opened and it will remain a problem for the foreseeable future. The number of ideas and themes that can come from this state are finite. Very finite. While Disneyland remains wide open for ideas in terms of theme, imagineers are really going to have to stretch to get some of the best new ideas to fit into a park which, at it's core, takes you absolutely nowhere. I really have to wonder if, years from now, the new Jay Rasulo won't make an announcement that Disney California Adventure simply turns into "Disney Adventure." In the mean time, kudos to Disney for trying to salvage what was a horrible idea done cheaply. Now, perhaps it will become a horrible idea done very well.

Comment

No, it wasn't that type of thinking. It was an entire philosophy that allowed for such fake realities to exist. It is the philosophy the build Disney's California Adventure and is now being rejected. Taking guests someplace means fudging a few of the rules of reality.

Cars does have everything to do with California. Lightning McQueen spends most of the movie trying to make it to Los Angeles. But Radiator Springs isn't in California, and I've proven this already in another thread.

I don't mind a Cars attraction. But I don't want a Radiator Springs attraction. If we must have a Cars attraction - let's have it at the Los Angeles International Speedway, not in Radiator Springs.
                                      Nothing ever states where Radiator Springs is located and all you proved is that the town is quintessential Route 66. This is where suspension of disbelief comes into play. The landsape around the town would work for California, Arizona, Nevada, and Utah.

Disney's California Adventure has to take its guests somewhere and sometime else. The problem with real life locations is that they are typically not that grand (ever seen a picture of Marcelline from the 1900s?). Disneyland takes its guests someplace that is both real and imaginary. Disney's California Adventure opted for something imaginary, and it failed. But now people want something real, whih can never happen, as it is a theme park and inherently not real. Radiator Springs works because it has no location, but can establish a sense of time and place within a ficticous California that exists only in the minds of the people. Nothing like Main Street, USA ever existed until after the 1950s, but it resonated with bits and pieces of what we thought and stuck.

Cars is not yet a classic
                                      Neither was 1958's Sleeping Beauty. Let's be risky.

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                      Simple solution ... ditch the California theme and make it a Disney Movies Park.
                                      Exept those parks are all set for there one fixes soon too.

Comment

This is what my E*Trade profile said regarding the matter. It is nice to see things officiated sometimes, rather than pure spec.

Disney to lay out $1.1 bln to revamp Calif. theme park: WSJ
                                        Marketwatch - October 17, 2007 5:52 AM ET

TEL AVIV (MarketWatch) -- Walt Disney Co. plans to spend $1.1 billion over five years to overhaul and expand its California Adventure theme park, the biggest such revamp the Burbank, Calif., entertainment giant has undertaken, people familiar with the plan told The Wall Street Journal. The makeover is noteworthy, the Journal reported, partly because its cost matches the $1 billion Disney spent to establish the park plus the $100 million the company has already laid out to refurbish it. In 2006, the California-themed park drew less than six million visitors, or about 40% of the 15 million who visited Disneyland, the Journal reported.
                                        Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X