Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney's Official $Billion DCA Expansion Announcement Disproves Councils Cynicism

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney's Official $Billion DCA Expansion Announcement Disproves Councils Cynicism

Throughout this year, one of the biggest reoccuring criticisms of the three anti-Disney Anaheim City Council members has been their complaint that Disney has failed to publicly commit to any specific expansion plans that it has alluded to - but kept secret. Well, all doubt is removed now.

The crafty council members and their out of town developer (Sun-Cal) have forced Disney's hand to announce earlier than it wanted. But, boy! What an an announcement!

For starters, Disney announced plans to build a $100 Million Little Mermaid major attraction that will include omnimovers, all of the most significant scenes from the original movie, and every song! The new Cars Land will feature 3 attractions - including a neumatic spinning bumper car flat ride (remenicent of the classic Tomorrowland flying saucer attraction from years ago), and a $200 Million E-Ticket Test Track oriented Cars ride.

The spectacular nightime water show should also be an absolute marvel as well. On top of all this, other attractions are being planned. Can't wait to see the Preview Center in 2008.

The ride that the arrogant council members and Sun-Cal have taken us all on is wreckless, creepy, seemy, schemy, crooked, unimaginative, unpopular, costly to taxpayers - and just no fun at all. It's time to close their ride down and get on with the expansion of the Happiest Resort On Earth!

SOAR Alert: Disney Announces Billion Dollar Expansion in Anaheim

Disney Announces Billion Dollar Expansion in Anaheim
    The Walt Disney Company today announced that it will launch a multi-year expansion of Disney's California Adventure.

Disney's investment and commitment to expansion in the Anaheim Resort District is great news for the City of Anaheim and its future economic prosperity.

The Resort District already is the economic engine for the City. Today, it provides 54 percent of the revenues for vital city services including police and fire protection, yet represents less than five percent of the City. The expansion of California Adventure will mean even greater benefits to the community, as more tourists spend money in Anaheim.

Today's announcement also reinforces how important SOAR's efforts are to preserve the Resort District as a tourist-serving area and protect the vital city services that it funds.

Following are highlights from a press release issued today by the Walt Disney Company:

Disney Announces Significant Expansion Plan
    For The Disneyland Resort

Multi-Year Build-out Plan Includes Major Attractions and a
    New "Cars Land" at Disney's California Adventure

GLENDALE, Calif., October 17, 2007 -- The Walt Disney Company today unveiled a significant multi-year expansion plan for the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim that continues its growth as a multi-day, world-class tourist destination.

"The success of the Disneyland Resort over the past few years provides us with both the opportunity and the need to invest for growth, to enhance and expand the experience for our guests and attract new visitors, while at the same time delivering attractive returns on the investment," said Iger. "This plan is a reflection of our belief in the bright future of the Disneyland Resort and our continuing commitment to grow the Anaheim Resort Area as a world class tourist destination."
    Disney Imagineers will be bringing more of Walt Disney into Disney's California Adventure, celebrating the hope and optimism of California that attracted Walt to this land of opportunity in the 1920s. Guests entering the new Plaza will be instantly immersed in the world that inspired Walt during his early days as an animation pioneer. The new, interactive Walt Disney Story attraction will set the stage for the unfolding story of Walt that will permeate the park.

The expansive program reaches throughout Disney's California Adventure, with an amazing Little Mermaid attraction, a groundbreaking, signature nighttime spectacular and new viewing area for 9,000, and the addition of the 12-acre Cars Land featuring the world of Radiator Springs with three new attractions.

The expansion is part of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' overall growth strategy of continuing to invest in its core business of existing parks and resorts around the world, while exploring new opportunities to capture more of the growing family vacation market. This announcement follows Disney's ground-breaking last month for a 250-room expansion of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, including 50 rooms dedicated to the West Coast debut of Disney Vacation Club, the company's growing time share business.

Multi-day, World-Class Tourist Destination

Today's announced expansion builds upon the transformation of the Disneyland park into a multi-day destination resort that began in 2001 with the creation of the Disneyland Resort and the opening of Disney's California Adventure Park, Downtown Disney and Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.

"This expansion builds on a commitment we made more than a decade ago to create and grow the Anaheim Resort Area as a world-class tourist destination where guests would want to stay for more than one day," said Disneyland Resort President Ed Grier. "That investment has become a success for Disney, the Anaheim community and for the economy of Southern California."

According to the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau, Anaheim is one of the fastest-growing tourist destinations in the country, enjoying some of the highest hotel occupancy rates in the nation and attracting millions of visitors each year who spend billions of dollars.

Preview Center

A Preview Center located on San Francisco Street in the Golden State region of the park will feature models, Imagineering concepts - giving park guests a sneak peek at the excitement that lies ahead. The Preview Center is scheduled to open in late 2008.

About the Disneyland Resort:

Located on approximately 500 acres in Anaheim, Calif., the Disneyland Resort includes the Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure Parks, three hotels with approximately 2,200 rooms and the 310,000 square foot retail, restaurant and entertainment Downtown Disney District. With 20,000 employees, the Disneyland Resort is Orange County's largest single-site employer and a $3.6 billion annual contributor to the local economy. In January 2004, the Resort welcomed its 500 millionth guest since opening on July 17, 1955.

IMPORTANT City Council Meeting

October 23 at 5 p.m.

Anaheim City Hall
    200 S Anaheim Blvd
    Anaheim, CA 92805
    For more information, please visit our Web site at www.soaranaheim.com
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-18-2007, 11:09 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Re: Disney's Official $Billion DCA Expansion Announcement Disproves Councils Cynicism

Go to the Mustafar region, er, Anaheim City Hall, and dispose of 'em all...
    *People JUDGE me too quickly...

Comment

Re: Disney's Official $Billion DCA Expansion Announcement Disproves Councils Cynicism

Originally posted by Anakin View Post
      Yes, Anakin. We shall embark on the mission right away! May the Force be with us.

Comment

Hey RW! Long time no hear from.

Suddenly, those three councilmen/women look really stupid in the face of Disney's investment during the next few years. Suncal needs to pack up and shove off and I hope Anaheim residents will remember these three names come the next election.

Comment

Now, this I do agree with. If Disney has 1.1 Billion dollars to toss around....why is the City Council aligning itself with poor little Sun Cal?, who doesn't even come close to being worth a billion dollars.

Disney can employ attorneys for years against both Sun Cal and City Council, and not feel a pinch in their money.

Meanwhile City Council is going to use tax payers' money to pay legal fees, with no support from those very same residents.

What's wrong with this picture?
          2007 Photos:
          http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd345/Pisceslibra/Disneyland%20Christmas%202007/?start=all
          More 2007 Photos:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/pisceslibra/sets/72157606706412381/
          2007 UPDATED Trip Report:
          http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/trip_report_photos_dec_2007-102026.html
          2006 Photos:
          http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200#120769200_T5KyJ

Comment

Maybe the picture was taken with a Polaroid camera, not a digital camera?

Comment

Originally posted by localdisnyfan View Post
              Hey RW! Long time no hear from.

Suddenly, those three councilmen/women look really stupid in the face of Disney's investment during the next few years. Suncal needs to pack up and shove off and I hope Anaheim residents will remember these three names come the next election.
              Great to be posting with you too, LDF! I've been buried while manging three local races (two school board and one city council). All is going fantastic. I've been involved in more rewarding creative work than i have in my life.

Wish i could get in on part of the action to dethrone these three rascally Anaheim City Council members when their terms come up. Apparently, they have felt locked in with Sun-Cal - for whatever the reasons may be. I very much believe that it will be a decision that they will live to regret, and that it will haunt them throughout the course of their respective lifetimes. Their names will become infamous.

Comment

Originally posted by Pisces View Post
                Now, this I do agree with. If Disney has 1.1 Billion dollars to toss around....why is the City Council aligning itself with poor little Sun Cal?, who doesn't even come close to being worth a billion dollars.

Disney can employ attorneys for years against both Sun Cal and City Council, and not feel a pinch in their money.

Meanwhile City Council is going to use tax payers' money to pay legal fees, with no support from those very same residents.

What's wrong with this picture?
                Absolutely, Pisces! Oh what a tangled web they weave when first they practice to deceive. They have wasted the taxpayers dollars, and continue to dismiss thousands of signatures against rezoning the Resort District for residential houses and apartments. The three members appear to be anti-entertainment, anti-taxpayer, anti-democracy, and anti-revenue producing business.
                Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-18-2007, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I thought you'd be on the side of the 3 council members Darth. Or has Luke already gotten to your soft spot?

I hope Anaheim residents will remember these three names come the next election.
                  I think they will remember the one name of the ring leader. The other two will go down with the ring leader much like the other two supreme court justices went down with Bird.

Wish i could get in on part of the action to dethrone these three rascally Anaheim City Council members when their terms come up
                  Donate to their opposition. Doesn't have to be a lot. If those of us here and on other Disney sites that feel strongly about it each donate maybe $10.01 when the time comes, it will add up to the opposition having a fighting chance.

Comment

Darth? My name is Ah-nah-kin.

Comment

This is so great!
                      I forgot about all this Anaheim shady business going on.
                      It happens when you don't live locally.
                      But this is sweet!
                      Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

Maybe the picture was taken with a Polaroid camera, not a digital camera?
                        Just picture that.. :cgrin:

Originally posted by WSVR View Post

I think they will remember the one name of the (councilmember) ring leader. The other two will go down with the ring leader much like the other two supreme court justices went down with Bird. (Excellent observation and analogy. This is likely how it will go down. They each have it coming. There is justice in this life.)

Donate to their opposition. Doesn't have to be a lot. If those of us here and on other Disney sites that feel strongly about it each donate maybe $10.01 when the time comes, it will add up to the opposition having a fighting chance.
                        I want to start an action such as this. I'll be in contact with you over it later on down the road.

Darth? My name is Ah-nah-kin.
                        Your English accent is sooooo sexy, Ahnah. :love:

Originally posted by travelmom View Post
                        This is so great!
                        I forgot about all this Anaheim shady business going on.
                        It happens when you don't live locally.
                        But this is sweet!
                        I'll meet you under the mulberry tree to celebrate with red vines and butter pecan milkshakes. :yea:
                        Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-18-2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Let's see what we actually have now, as opposed to what Disney is promising.

Nothing.

Seems like Disney make grandiose plans and announcements before and things didn't exactly turn out like they planned and promised. Been there, heard that, didn't even get a T-shirt.

So, please forgive if credibility is strained.

All that we have right now is words, and we all know that talk is cheap. It surely isn't worth 1 Billion dollars.

And, of course, Disney isn't saying anything about a third park where the property in question is on the periphery of, so the question of whether Disney deserves to have a veto over all development, especially distant, until it's good and ready whenever that might be - or not - is still in play.

Fool me once ...

Comment

I may be chased off the thread for this but I do have some reservations about the announcement. I view the announcement like I view political speeches, sure it sounds great but I will believe it when I see it. I also wonder if Disney would have announced ANYTHING had their hand not been forced. They didn't do it just because of SunCal... they did it as a statement to Anaheim that they are, and will continue to be, commited to the resort district. It was the basic Oliver Twist "Please don't re-zone this sir" move.

But it is still a very political move and while everything sounds great now, will it happen? They promised a lot when DCA was being pitched, we've all seen the video, look what they gave us... not really much of a comparison. I'm worried this may be another such deal. Right now you hear about all these rides, and all these bells and whistles, no budget cuts, just wait... I can't speak for everyone but I will believe it when I SEE IT and not until then.
                            "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
                              Let's see what we actually have now, as opposed to what Disney is promising.

Nothing.

Seems like Disney make grandiose plans and announcements before and things didn't exactly turn out like they planned and promised. Been there, heard that, didn't even get a T-shirt.

So, please forgive if credibility is strained.

All that we have right now is words, and we all know that talk is cheap. It surely isn't worth 1 Billion dollars.

And, of course, Disney isn't saying anything about a third park where the property in question is on the periphery of, so the question of whether Disney deserves to have a veto over all development, especially distant, until it's good and ready whenever that might be - or not - is still in play.

Fool me once ...
                              Oh bummers.. a disident. Well, I'll tell you what JeffYardDog, I'm going to invite you to my red vine and butter pecan milkshake party anyway. Maybe it will sweeten you up a might.

It is true that leaks of Disney attractions under consideration have surfaced at various times in the past - only to have the plans fall through. However, Disney has never officially announced plans for any given addition to the parks, without said plans becoming a reality.

The DCA expansion plans ARE a reality. Choosing to believe it only when you see it is your own personal choice. Keep in mind though that a little faith in the good things that life has to offer does go a long way toward enriching ones outlook and happiness.

Where the third park is concerned, this was announced long ago. Although it has been long in coming, THEME PARK 3 WILL HAPPEN - along with a waterpark. Al said that the Preview Center will remain in place after the new DCA and Disneyland (primarily Tomorrowland) attraction concepts displayed there become a reality. I believe that the third theme park will be on display there by 2010, and possibly under construction as well. 2010 was the target date for the new gate to commence building before. That's the date we are likely looking at.

In the meantime, don't be surprised if an official announcement for the 3rd gate occurs this year or next. Have a red vine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                                Oh bummers.. a disident. Well, I'll tell you what JeffYardDog, I'm going to invite you to my red vine and butter pecan milkshake party anyway. Maybe it will sweeten you up a might.
                                There isn't enough fructose and sucrose in Anaheim to sweeten me up.
                                Last edited by JeffYardDog; 10-18-2007, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                  I may be chased off the thread for this but I do have some reservations about the announcement. I view the announcement like I view political speeches, sure it sounds great but I will believe it when I see it. I also wonder if Disney would have announced ANYTHING had their hand not been forced. They didn't do it just because of SunCal... they did it as a statement to Anaheim that they are, and will continue to be, commited to the resort district. It was the basic Oliver Twist "Please don't re-zone this sir" move.

But it is still a very political move and while everything sounds great now, will it happen? They promised a lot when DCA was being pitched, we've all seen the video, look what they gave us... not really much of a comparison. I'm worried this may be another such deal. Right now you hear about all these rides, and all these bells and whistles, no budget cuts, just wait... I can't speak for everyone but I will believe it when I SEE IT and not until then.
                                  I would never chase you off any thread, techskip. I enjoy riding along with you in that killer diller Jungle Cruise avatar boat of yours too much. Disney can't go back on a major announcement without risking big time retribution asnd a permanentlt scarred reputation. So, I respectively disagree with you. Please don't throw me off the boat.

You will possibly be more excited than most once you see first hand the world class additions to DCA and Disneyland that the company has in store for the relatively near future. In consideration of the lackluster pressler era, i can't say that i blame you for not wanting to be found gullible. This is, however, different times. Iger is far from being an Eisner - and Lasseter, Weiss and Jobs are far from being the type of leadership that we had during the Pressler/Harris redime.

Comment

[quote=JeffYardDog;2251771]
                                    Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post

/quote]

There isn't enough fructose and sucrose in Anaheim to sweeten me up.
                                    Then, how about some good ol' sour Sweet Tarts?

Comment

I know the announcement is all talk, but I believe they are serious this time. They either do it or leave the problem the way it is. They have proof over and over that they need to perform this rescue. Back when they announced WestCot, they had different circumstances. They didn't have to build it, they didn't have to fix a 600 million dollar mistake. I believe in Disney and look forward to what they do with DCA. No problem in being optimistic this time. I want to be optimistic because Disney is in different hands this time around. There are too many people rooting for the project.

Meanwhile, dumb ol' Anaheim is probably eating their words. Disney sounds like there will be even more announcements coming the way of Anaheim. They will be bombarded and have much more to fend off than "Disney wasted our money with California Adventure." I am sure they'll come up with bull, but at least Disney will have its defenses up.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X