This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Logic Questions I've Always Wanted to Ask About PotC

These questions relate to the internal, in-context logic of the ride, and I realize that there may be no answers to them.

- I realize it's a gag - and a funny one at that - but how has the wine the skeleton is "drinking" managed to stay flowing for so many years? Is it part of the curse? (Like I assume the later "storm" effect is)

- (I think this is still there since the Jack Sparrow remodel). At one point in the cave, there's a patch of what appears to be blue sky showing through, in which the clouds subtly coalesce into a skull and crossbones pattern. I just wondered if that's supposed to actually be the sky, showing through a hole in the cave (in which case, why is it daytime when it was dusk in the bayou?) or if it's supposed to be something else.

- Presumably, the ship's cannons are aimed at the fort, and the fort's, at the ship. So how do they both keep missing each other and hitting the water in between instead? (Once again, I realize that this is so the "explosions" in the water can come close to our ship, giving us a sense of peril and adventure).

- Can the pirates "see" us? Are they just too busy sacking the village and looking for Captain Jack Sparrow - or perhaps too drunk - to notice us? Or are we like Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, merely passing through "shadows" of things that once were (and, as such, in much less danger than the Jolly Roger skull and Davy Jones would have us believe) ?
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Re: Internal Logic Questions I've Always Wanted to Ask About PotC

They can't see us, We're in the spirit world!!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

I've noticed the donkey is sometimes there sometimes gone and I am always feeling bad for the poor thing even though I know it's a robot thing...

Comment

Originally posted by animagusurreal View Post
        - I realize it's a gag - and a funny one at that - but how has the wine the skeleton is "drinking" managed to stay flowing for so many years? Is it part of the curse? (Like I assume the later "storm" effect is)
        First thing to remember is that these are show scenes and we are seeing into an instant in the story, that bottle is only poring while we are there. After we leave that scene the Pirate could stop drinking or grab a new bottle.
        - (I think this is still there since the Jack Sparrow remodel). At one point in the cave, there's a patch of what appears to be blue sky showing through, in which the clouds subtly coalesce into a skull and crossbones pattern. I just wondered if that's supposed to actually be the sky, showing through a hole in the cave (in which case, why is it daytime when it was dusk in the bayou?) or if it's supposed to be something else.
        I have never seen that actually, and you haven't given a good enough description of its location for me to check it out.
        - Presumably, the ship's cannons are aimed at the fort, and the fort's, at the ship. So how do they both keep missing each other and hitting the water in between instead? (Once again, I realize that this is so the "explosions" in the water can come close to our ship, giving us a sense of peril and adventure).
        When a bombardment first begins it takes a few shots to get the range down before a proper bombardment can begin.
        - Can the pirates "see" us? Are they just too busy sacking the village and looking for Captain Jack Sparrow - or perhaps too drunk - to notice us? Or are we like Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, merely passing through "shadows" of things that once were (and, as such, in much less danger than the Jolly Roger skull and Davy Jones would have us believe) ?
        Yes they can see us as evidenced by the conversation that used to happen where the davey jones effect is now. Remember we can only see skeleton pirates until we viewed the cursed treasure. Much like in Mansion where we only catch glimpses of the spirits until we are pushed out of the attic window to our death at which time we are able to see the ghosts.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheCoasterNut View Post
          I have never seen that actually, and you haven't given a good enough description of its location for me to check it out.
          I believe this is after the second drop...just before what I call the skeleton with the Barbossa hat with the bird on top (skeleton in the sand with crab). Or am I messed up on location? When you come down that second drop it is pretty much right in front of you. Your boat then starts to turn and on the right are all the skeletons in the sand.
          "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

sigpic

Comment

Oh, the skull and crossbones that appears on the waterfall. . . well I've never really understood why it is there. Part of me wants to think it is a flag flying on a ship that is just around the bend, but in all honesty I haven't a clue what it is.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheCoasterNut View Post
              Much like in Mansion where we only catch glimpses of the spirits until we are pushed out of the attic window to our death at which time we are able to see the ghosts.
              Except those ones in the ballroom and attic... Madame Leota calls the spirits so that we can see them.

Comment

You're not supposed to think.

Just enjoy.
                sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Exactly!
                  DisneyTwins
                  Since May 2003

Comment

I think I'm heading out to the DLR today. Mostly to take a look at DCA but if I get around to it I will hop on Pirates and let you know if I see anything. I am not too sure I will though...

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your responses

Druggas and Disneytwins -

You're not supposed to think.

Just enjoy.
                      Exactly!

Yes, but like pirates, I don't always do what I'm supposed to .
                      "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                      Disney sequel):
                      Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                      Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                      Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                      Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                      Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

Do the 'cursed' pirates 'live'? Hmmm...the spider webs attached to them would lead one to assume that they certainly haven't moved for quite a spell. Eternally drinking the rum? Maybe...

Since the scene eventually opens up out of the grotto caves to the 'Fort Battle' scene, one can assume it is the sky.

We see they have hit each other, though. We just weren't witness to the actual impacts. Both do seem hard targets to 'miss', though.
                        Yes. The 'pooped pirate' used to address the guests in the boats specifically in his dialogue. The new dialogue is a little more indirect, I believe.

Comment

hehehe...he said...pooped....hehehehe

Comment

Oh but they haven't been missing...I don't know if it is still said, but in the pre-Bardossa days the captain used to yell out a command to clear away the ruddy wreckage, and something about the main sail. So presumably the fort has scroed at least one off of the pirates.
                            :sc:-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food.":sc:

Comment

To be honest, until I joined MC, I didn't even know that POTC and Haunted Mansion had story lines.

I'm such a dork when it comes to the obvious.
                              sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

I just wondered if that's supposed to actually be the sky, showing through a hole in the cave (in which case, why is it daytime when it was dusk in the bayou?) or if it's supposed to be something else.
                                The Bayou sequence takes place in the present day. The Pirates sequences take place in the past. Thus, there really doesn't have to be any time synchronization between the Bayou and the Pirates.

Presumably, the ship's cannons are aimed at the fort, and the fort's, at the ship. So how do they both keep missing each other and hitting the water in between instead?
                                Cannons from that time period were notoriously difficult to aim. You were pretty lucky if you actually did hit your target. So, all the misses in the water would be pretty much par for the course.
                                "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
                                -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

Comment

OK. I got back about an hour and a half ago.

It's still there. It's after the second waterfall on the left behind a waterfall immediately after you make the sharp right turn coming off of the waterfall, across from the skeleton pirates on the beach.

I've seen it before -- my whole life in fact. I never really thought about what it was though. Sorry.

Comment

Interesting questions! Bottom line, they are indeed just gags. But let's see what answers I can come up with... ={P

I'm with the crowd that says the skeletons are not "undead"; they don't move while we're not looking. IMO, the wine is indeed part of the curse. The futility of that guy's premortem binges has increased even more after his death.

Yup, still there. I think it's just supposed to be a rather ghostly apparition, not a literal pirate ship. Clouds, like you said. Each scene of the ride can potentially be happening at a totally different time from the others...it's not supposed to be a literal sequence of events. So it could be dusk outside and then become night for the town scenes.

By the way, interestingly enough, that scene is located very close to
                                    Spoiler
                                    the entrance to the bat caves in the Indy queue

As mentioned above, the pooped pirate indeed addressed the guests, as did the voices in the dark tunnel and as does Davy Jones now in said tunnel. So it's safe to say that we have some purpose in being there. I'm gonna say that we are really just "passing through", so to speak, for most of the attraction. We're not supposed to be physically present. The pooped pirate's words to the guests could be regarded as a temporary breach in the fourth wall, I suppose.

Comment

In the same room as the drinking skeletons, you can hear laughter coming from up the stairs in the back of the room.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

Kissing sounds, too, I think.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X