• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walt's Ghost
    Resident Ghost
    • Nov 2006

DCA - Getting Our Hopes Up Too Early

Alright, so how do we know this new 5-year plan will be good. I mean, the plan already has a flaw: Not changing the name of the park. I mean, thats a must if they want to add a freaking Cars land and Little Mermaid ride. Those 2 movies had no place in California.

Another flaw is the time period for the Hollywood area. From what I heard, it'll be modeled after the 1920s-30s, which were the lest talked about years in the 20th century just about. Also, the theater they want to recreate looks like a mission. If I want to see a mission, I'll go to the coast.

Also, this new watershow. It looks exactly like fantasmic so far.

Now, how do we know this 5-year plan will be good looking at Disney's latest stuff. For example, Nemo Subs. Ok, it's Pixar, but it just...doesn't fit Tomorrowland. Also, remember when people got excited for Tomorrowland '98. Yea...

Why do you think it'll be much better?
  • EmeralineDragon
    Cranky Dragon is Cranky
    • Jan 2005

Re: DCA - Getting Our Hopes Up Too Early

We don't know it'll be better. But we have plenty of time to be disappointed; why jump the gun?

And frankly, I like the theater, and I like the ambiance of the 1920s, so I don't find those flaws at all.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Comment

• Zoe Necrosis
      potterday.org
      • Feb 2007

To be fair, changing the name of the park is not outside the realm of possibility, as they've acknowledged. I'd wager they've discussed it but don't have a definitive plan as of yet. See Al's article. Even if they do have a name in mind, it's too early for them to mention it.

In regards to the Hollywood era, what does it matter if that period isn't talked about? The backlot re-themed to aesthetically imitate Hollywood between the 20's and 40's is a gorgeous idea. This is the only period in time when that part of LA wasn't a depressing eyesore. Three cheers for this idea, in my opinion.

In regards to the theatre that looks like a mission - yes, the drawing makes it look stark and underwhelming. But I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. It may turn out to be an iconic park landmark.

And I think it's too early to judge the watershow based on one drawing.

In general they're not doing (or announcing yet) all the changes that I wanted to see, but this is a step in the right direction, isn't it?
      Zoe Necrosis
      Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

Comment

• Walt's Ghost
        Resident Ghost
        • Nov 2006

We said Tomorrowland's update would be good, but it turned out to be bad.

Comment

• MollyTrolly
          Hiding in the shadows
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by EmeralineDragon View Post
          We don't know it'll be better. But we have plenty of time to be disappointed; why jump the gun?
          Exactly.

Lets dream a little, gaze at the concept art and be excited about the possibilities. If they don't all come to fruition, we can deal with the sorrow then, but the chance to dream...Right now, I am too excited about the future of DCA to worry about getting my hopes up.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

• ALIASd
            Top Shelf!
            MiceChat News Team
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Disney Bacon View Post
            Also, the theater they want to recreate looks like a mission. If I want to see a mission, I'll go to the coast.

Hope you have an opportunity to visit both in the future to see the vast differences up close.
            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

• RootBoy42
              DisneyFan
              • Aug 2006

I'm not sure how you can refer to the '20s and '30s as being the "least talked about years in the 20th century." You have the era of strong economic growth followed by the great depression, which were very defining times in our nation's history. Prohibition and the rise of the "gangster" as a cultural anti-hero. Hollywood is in it's "golden age" and California is seen as a land of hope and opportunity. It's the era when Walt Disney himself first arrived in the state to make his fortune as a cartoonist. The Hollywood Tower Hotel is already themed to this early to mid 30s time period too.

Sure, the last 50 years or so have dominated our own cultural understanding, and it is only natural for recent history to be discussed more often than earlier events, but that doesn't mean the theme is a mistake.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just adding to the discussion. If I've phrased things too personally, it was uninentional.

Comment

• Walt's Ghost
                Resident Ghost
                • Nov 2006

Oh, also, something I forgot to add. The Cars E Ticket. The cars people are driving SHOULD NOT look like read cars. That kills the magic.

Comment

• PirateMickey
                  A Pirate's life for me!
                  • Sep 2005

As you said, it is a FIVE YEAR PLAN. Not five DAY plan...

Maybe they will change the name four years and 9 months down the road.

Who knows???

Maybe some folks should hold off on the criticism and whining about the changes until at least the first bulldozers shows up.

Until the changes have actually been made, it's all just conceptual drawings, ideas, hopes and dreams.

Oh, and PLENTY of speculation, whining, moaning and groaning.

Too funny!!!

:lmao:

Comment

• Walt's Ghost
                    Resident Ghost
                    • Nov 2006

Hey, it's fair game now, since we know it's coming.

Comment

• Lost Boy
                      Still lost in Neverland
                      • Jan 2005

The Theater is based on the old Carthey Circle Theater that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs premiered. It was a landmark theater and fits in wonderfully.

Cars is all about California and Route 66. It also fits.

The Little Mermaid is not California so I agree that it does not fit, but they may drop the California name. And it is a Walt Disney moivie, not Pixar.

The rest I am looking forward too. I already love DCA realizing that it has problems and needs some TLC. Somebody said look at what was planned and how it turned out. Well, look who was in charge then, and who is running things now. A big difference.
                      Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

• Walt's Ghost
                        Resident Ghost
                        • Nov 2006

Cars had NOTHING to do with California except for the final race!

Comment

• Lost Boy
                          Still lost in Neverland
                          • Jan 2005

Route 66 is a big part of California and many little towns died when the Interstate went through. Route 66 starts in California.
                          Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

• BuzzedLightyear
                            King of Los Angeles
                            • Feb 2005

I'm ok with Cars beiung included in DCA because of the route 88 heritage. Radiator springs could be anywhere along 66. I think the name Cars Land is generic and needs to go - bugsland carsland bla bla bla....However, I am excited about the rest. Not sure how monsters and the animation building fit the 1930's, but ehhh...we'll see right!

Comment

• bee1000
                              Keepin' it calsteady
                              • Oct 2006

The theater looks more like San Diego's Balboa Park than a mission. Balboa Park was built in the early 1900s or the teens so that fits with the era.

Also anyone looking down on the 20s-40s obviously hasn't heard about "Hollywood glamour." The theme has lots of possibilities and should make for a great immersive ambience of a time gone by - and one that is completely different from anything at DL next door.

As for Cars Land, I think it will succeed if is really a "Radiator Springs Land." It will have the innonence/nostalgia feel of Main Street USA, but with a distinctive personality of a western/Route 66 small town rather than a Mississippi River town. (Main Street is supposed to be like Mississippi, isn't it? I forget.)

DCA needs a lot more than rides to be successful (unless you want to welcome the gangbangers from Magic Mtn to ride roller coasters). It needs theming and details that take you out of the modern day and into another world. I think the Victonianization of Paradise Pier, Route 66 Land and Hollywood Glamour, plus Redwood Whatever will make for a great collection. (I guess I agree that I don't see where the Little Mermaid and the flying Goofy fit into any themes, though.)
                              Last edited by bee1000; 10-19-2007, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                                Beach Expert
                                • Sep 2006

I went to DCA today just to look at the park in relationship to all the graphics that we have seen that they are going to do with it.

It really isn't all that much of a change other than some new facades and a new land.

It's going to happen without much difficulty. I think what we see is pretty much what we are going to get.

Comment

• Aladdin
                                  Prince Ali
                                  • Jan 2005

Alright, so how do we know this new 5-year plan will be good. I mean, the plan already has a flaw: Not changing the name of the park. I mean, thats a must if they want to add a freaking Cars land and Little Mermaid ride. Those 2 movies had no place in California.

Another flaw is the time period for the Hollywood area. From what I heard, it'll be modeled after the 1920s-30s, which were the lest talked about years in the 20th century just about. Also, the theater they want to recreate looks like a mission. If I want to see a mission, I'll go to the coast.

Now, how do we know this 5-year plan will be good looking at Disney's latest stuff. For example, Nemo Subs. Ok, it's Pixar, but it just...doesn't fit Tomorrowland. Also, remember when people got excited for Tomorrowland '98. Yea...

Why do you think it'll be much better?
                                  You're jumping all over the place. First of all, you have to separate
                                  what happened to DL During Eisner's reign of Terror with Pressler
                                  as his helmsman FROM the Post Eisner Fall. SEPARATE the TL '98
                                  debacle, the Initial DCA/DTD project, Pooh in CC, building on the cheap,
                                  run attractions until failure philophy run under Eisner, FROM the new management of Iger/Lasseter ~ Substantial improvements have been made, Lassetereven insisted on increased $$$$ for Nemo ~ It would not have been as impressive if Eisner/Pressler were still in charge, and you absolutely would NOT have this flurry of activity in DCA and admissions of failure under the previous regime. The current leadership is much more
                                  responsive!

As for the 1920's and 1930's It was the beginning of the Golden
                                  age of Hollywood, Many Major Studios were founded during this
                                  time! I'd suggest reading up on history which has certainly
                                  been romanticised with Flappers and Gansters, beginning of
                                  sound movies, beginning of Jazz, Silent movies, all the famous
                                  stars from this time period ~ Read up on it, because your
                                  missing one of the MOST interesting periods of time in American
                                  History.

The water show in DCA (World of Color) will be COMPLETELY
                                  different from F! DCA doesn't have Tom Sawer Island for staging,
                                  The Columbia, Mark Twain, Nor with DCA have Fireworks in it's show.
                                  Read up on what's been talked about the new DCA show and you
                                  will see substantial differences. Hardly similar at all.
                                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• Pressler69
                                    Sock Puppet
                                    • Oct 2007

Another flaw is the time period for the Hollywood area. From what I heard, it'll be modeled after the 1920s-30s, which were the lest talked about years in the 20th century just about.
                                    Do you know what today is the anniversary of?

Also, the theater they want to recreate looks like a mission. If I want to see a mission, I'll go to the coast.
                                    No, it looks like the Carthay Theater. But you have a point, if I want to see the Carthay Theater I'll just go... whoops.

Only one piece of concept art has been released.

The show will have no actors, no fireworks, and only fountains. Doesn't sound remotely close to Fantasmic! to me.

Comment

• Lore
                                      Animatronic
                                      • Mar 2005

Alright, so how do we know this new 5-year plan will be good. I mean, the plan already has a flaw...
                                      Wait a minute, how is DCA getting your hopes up too early if you think their proposed changes are going to suck?

Likely they are just putting out these weak, off theme ideas to avoid getting people's hopes up. I mean if they announced the amazing rides they must really have planned, that WOULD be getting people's hopes up.

Comment

• Matterhorn Boy
                                        Yeti Enthusiast
                                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
                                        Do you know what today is the anniversary of?
                                        Today was the anniversary of the stock market crash in 1987, but I get where you're going with that comment. Anybody who writes off the 20's and 30's as a minor part of history in the 20th century is someone who needs to read more history.

While the Carthay Circle Theater may not be the recognizable icon that Sleeping Beauty's Castle is, it at least provides a weenie, a landmark, and something that corresponds to Disney History. And any attraction that puts Walt back in the public eye is appreciated. I'd really like them to also put in a replica, perhaps at a smaller scale, of the old animation building that was on Hyperion. If that's not possible, at least put in the famous sign.

I think if Disney manages to pull off a period atmosphere from the entrance all the way down to Tower Of Terror, something equivalent yet very different from Main Street USA could be achieved. I have a feeling Old Hollywood is a subject Walt would've explored, though at the time of Disneyland's opening, Old Hollywood wasn't too far in the past and in many ways still existed. In order for a period effect to be achieved however, Monsters Inc. definitely needs to go.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X