This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walt on DCA

According to Herb Ryman, an Artist of the Walt Disney Studio.

The tunnel of the railroad in Walt's Backyard, was 120 feet on a long "S" curve, so you couldn't see the other end when you were inside. Walt liked the mystery. The foreman on the job suggested it would be cheaper to build it straight and Walt said, "It's cheaper not to build it all."

Here's to getting it done right...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Re: Walt on DCA

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing that quote. I hope they can successfully put in the S curve this time.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

It sums up everything about DCA

Comment

I love that story
        "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
        Disney sequel):
        Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
        Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
        Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
        Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
        Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by IMAGINE View Post
          Walt liked the mystery. The foreman on the job suggested it would be cheaper to build it straight and Walt said, "It's cheaper not to build it all."
          Walt was a businessman. He cut corners and cheapened out on occasion.

You tend not to hear those stories in Disneydom though.

Comment

Heres to the S curve!
            Mr Liver, why don't you fill us in on how cheap Walt was?

Comment

I'd be interested to hear those stories, too.

Comment

People always speak about the other side of Walt that existed but yet no one has ever talked about...interesting in how those quick to damn have no evidence to do it by...

Comment

Mr Liver = owned.

Comment

People always speak about the other side of Walt that existed but yet no one has ever talked about...interesting in how those quick to damn have no evidence to do it by...
                    After Sleeping Beauty bombed at the box office, The Disney Studio went to a form of Xerox copy to make their animation cells. The failure of Sleeping Beauty meant that the Disney Studios had to cut labor and they laid off hundreds of animators.

The Xerox copy produced an animation that had thick black lines and Walt absolutely hated it, but at this point he was too involved in Disneyland and simply didn't care enough about the studio. They went ahead with the Xerox copy and made 101 Dalmatians.

That's probably one of the better known stories. Feel free to look it up and read more. It's quite fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
                      Walt was a businessman. He cut corners and cheapened out on occasion.

You tend not to hear those stories in Disneydom though.

I hear them all the time. But it's always tied into him running out of money! And not just anyone's money... his OWN money.

We all remember how Walt said that people can buy a pepsi but they can't pee on the streets. Or something to that extent.

Walt cut corners only when he had to. And all at the same time, was creating a new brand of entertainment that has never been done. Sometimes the cutting of corners were not intentional.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Walt was so awesome, thats about all you can say about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                          Walt cut corners only when he had to. And all at the same time, was creating a new brand of entertainment that has never been done. Sometimes the cutting of corners were not intentional.
                          Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing that he cut corners.

Sometimes you have to cut corners to get things done. And it's as a whole it's better when something gets done rather than half finished or never finished at all.
                          Look at the compromises that Walt made in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland when the park opened in 1955. I don't think anyone would argue that it would be better that the park wasn't built at all, rather than opening it cheap.

I just bring this up because I think it's important for fans to know the truth of the story, rather than just dogmatic company backstory. It get a far better appreciation of what they did that way.

Comment

There is so much to Walt Disney's life. Allot of people just don't take out the time to do a little research and find out allot of the things he did and didn't do. Walt Disney was human, of course he had issues and probably cheapend out at sometime in his life. He was a big Hollywood man, and many scandles surround Walt Disney.
                            Jeff Wayne

Comment

Walt was so awesome, thats about all you can say about him.
                              That's not all the people who worked with could say. Some of them felt that he was cantankerous, and sometimes downright rude. I don't know how true that was, but as others have said, Walt was indeed merely human.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                I hear them all the time. But it's always tied into him running out of money! And not just anyone's money... his OWN money.

We all remember how Walt said that people can buy a pepsi but they can't pee on the streets. Or something to that extent.

I agree, Coheteboy .

I don't understand how Mr. Liver can compare the financial situation of Walt Disney Productions in the 1950's to The Walt Disney Company today. They must have financial resources that Walt could only dream of.
                                "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                                Disney sequel):
                                Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                                Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                                Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                                Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                                Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by animagusurreal View Post
                                  I don't understand how Mr. Liver can compare the financial situation of Walt Disney Productions in the 1950's to The Walt Disney Company today. They must have financial resources that Walt could only dream of.
                                  It's a complete myth that the Walt Disney Company is loaded with money.

Comment

Originally posted by animagusurreal View Post

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Coheteboy

I agree, Coheteboy .

Agree completely with both of you ~ and Don't Forget how Walt put
                                    up everything he had at least a couple times ~ and built upon that
                                    success. And when there was a set back, of course they had to make
                                    cutbacks. He, as a recent movie quoted, Kept Moving Forward, looking
                                    Well into the Future, always aiming for an even Bigger Dream.

When it was one of Walt's dreams, nothing stopped him. He mortgage
                                    his homes, got the best possible people to do the jobs, and seeked out
                                    financial help with recruiting ABC to Back his loan, When Walt didn't have
                                    money, he bartered what he could to make the dream into reality, and
                                    recruited tons of sponsors to get the job done, (building DL). That's
                                    certainly a far cry from what any other CEO of Disney has done,
                                    or ever will do.

The initail statement Mr. Liver made, minimizes the extent to what Walt
                                    did do, and the risks that Walt took.
                                    Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                    An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                    Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                    Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                                      Agree completely with both of you ~ and Don't Forget how Walt put
                                      up everything he had at least a couple times ~ and built upon that
                                      success. And when there was a set back, of course they had to make
                                      cutbacks. He, as a recent movie quoted, Kept Moving Forward, looking
                                      Well into the Future, always aiming for an even Bigger Dream.

When it was one of Walt's dreams, nothing stopped him. He mortgage
                                      his homes, got the best possible people to do the jobs, and seeked out
                                      financial help with recruiting ABC to Back his loan, When Walt didn't have
                                      money, he bartered what he could to make the dream into reality, and
                                      recruited tons of sponsors to get the job done, (building DL). That's
                                      certainly a far cry from what any other CEO of Disney has done,
                                      or ever will do.

The initail statement Mr. Liver made, minimizes the extent to what Walt
                                      did do, and the risks that Walt took.
                                      Walt Disney did these things cause he was the founder and builder of his company. No CEO is expected to do the same, because they are not in that situation.
                                      Jeff Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
                                        It's a complete myth that the Walt Disney Company is loaded with money.
                                        Exactly. It's so frustrating to read many of the posts on this board as a whole from people who have absolutely no idea how a large corporation works. Yes, Disney brings in billions of dollars a year, but they have ENORMOUS operating expenses, and being a publicly traded company, nearly anything left over is paid out to MILLIONS of stockholders in the form of dividends. The DCA redo for instance isn't like a small buisiness that had a good year and can buy new office furniture. You can bet that every last dollar of the $1.1 billion is being financed over many years.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X