This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Regions of Disney's California

Disney's California Adventure was originally divided into three poorly-conceived regions: Paradise Pier; Golden State; and, Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

Accepting or rejecting the recently-announced plans, how do you think D.C.A. should, ideally, be divided and configured?

Re: The Regions of Disney's California

I think the set up is fine. The only thing I have a problem with was the lands within lands:

Golden State
    -Pacific Wharf
    -Bountiful Valley Farm (now gone)
    -Condor Flats
    Hollywood Pictures Backlot
    -Hollywood Studios

I completely accept all the plans for DCA and look forward to them. I think they should eliminate the sub-lands and develop them all into their own setting, which seems to be what they are doing.

Comment

I usually don't solicit creative ideas, but I am curious to know if anyone has a fresh perspective on some of the general concepts for the park. Unifying themes are important, and, yet, I really don't notice very many people speaking about D.C.A.'s regions in deeper terms.

How do you think the park, as a whole, should be defined, and how should its constituent parts be described and delineated?

Comment

Its constituent parts should be delineated loosely, Prag. It's all "California through the eyes of Walt Disney and the Walt Disney Company" now.

Comment

This may sound way off base, and I don't mean it too, but considering how California has always been noted for Earthquakes (and, now, fires) I wonder if they could have a museum or exhibit of sorts describing the nature of California.....maybe display remnants of fires....(as a deterrant to arson) and maybe even have some 'ride' to show you what an earthquake feels like......just an idea - I could be out in left field with this one....

Comment

I dont think you're way off base or way out in left field. Just slightly OFF TOPIC. This sort of deserves it's own thread, don't you think? Take a look at what they did for TokyoDisneySea's Discovery Bay area in terms of a weather simulator experience and propose some ideas.

Comment

well they had or still have the earthquake at Universal. they also had/have back draft there. I haven't been there in years. I'm not sure about copying another park.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                Disney's California Adventure was originally divided into three poorly-conceived regions: Paradise Pier; Golden State; and, Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

Poorly conceived? No. Poorly executed? You have more of an argument there.

Comment

Here's my issue/thoughts with the whole "theme" problem.

After much deliberation, I figured out something. "Disneyland" is a general term, right? The lands within it are completely random and do not necessarily connect together, but it still works out. It's the lands that truly dictate the attractions (with some exceptions of course, we could argue on many of the newer attractions for a long time, but at least the original intent was for the theme of the lands to dictate).

"California" needs to be taken out of the title. The park is in too deep to fully connect with the original intent...go the "Disneyland" route, and have a general name.

Then, re-evaluate the lands and consider new names and themes for them.

The forest area can definitely work...that area has always seemed the most "Disney" to me. Just expand the area...make it fully live up to it's potential. I'd rather see more of that.

Hollywood Pictures Backlot...well, for the most part I think that land will be fine once it gets it's upgrades.

Golden State? It's a lot of different concepts. I'd get rid of the name and search for something else to unify the whole area. Considering that Paradise Pier is going to go all the way down to Golden Dreams, I'm starting to think that perhaps the Imagineers have this in mind already. As great as fresh tortillas and bread are, I don't think they really help the park, and could be cleared out for much more beneficial expanding attractions.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                    well they had or still have the earthquake at Universal. they also had/have back draft there. I haven't been there in years. I'm not sure about copying another park.
                    The "earthquake" portion isn't a full attraction and Backdraft is about the making of fire for special effects.

The concepts of earthquakes and fires have not been used to their full potential by any means, so I would hardly call it copying another park if Disney could make these concepts exciting and unique attractions.

Imagine an E-ticket attraction, where you and several other guests are trying to escape as buildings and everything else are collapsing around you, as you're trying to drive away and survive...and at one point, having your vehicle actually falling down while on a collapsing freeway...as insane and crazy as that sounds, it could be done. And no one would even care to compare Universal with it.

Comment

Do you guys think they should ALL be LANDS.

Like Carlsand, Bugsland, Hollywoodland, etc.

Comment

Disneyland is actually very well defined.

There is Main Street, Disneyland, U.S.A., "everyone's hometown" (but mostly Walt Disney's).

Then, there is The Magic Kingdom of Disneyland, which is comprised of the four cardinal realms of the imagination: Adventureland; Frontierland; Fantasyland; and, Tomorrowland.

Together, these realms are quintessential.

Individually, these realms are comprised of stories that are based on broad themes of adventure, fantasy, and the like. All of the stories are timeless, though, and their settings are relatively non-descript. The Magic Kingdom is very much a faraway place once upon a time.

Comment

Originally posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
                          The "earthquake" portion isn't a full attraction and Backdraft is about the making of fire for special effects.

The concepts of earthquakes and fires have not been used to their full potential by any means, so I would hardly call it copying another park if Disney could make these concepts exciting and unique attractions.

Imagine an E-ticket attraction, where you and several other guests are trying to escape as buildings and everything else are collapsing around you, as you're trying to drive away and survive...and at one point, having your vehicle actually falling down while on a collapsing freeway...as insane and crazy as that sounds, it could be done. And no one would even care to compare Universal with it.
                          The only problem with attractions based off of disasters such as these is how to do them tastefully and classy enough as not to offend, piss off, or hurt someone who has been through one of these horrific events. Imagine being someone who lost someone in the 1989 earthquake up here in the Bay Area. Now, imagine a ride in Disneyland loosely based off of this event. Would it seem to you that Disney was capitalizing off of the demise of your loved one, or whatnot?

I, personally, don't believe I would see it this way. However, I have never been in this situation so I do not know. I believe Universal Studios gets away with this because the earthquake section is actually based off a classic movie.

Again, how could something like this be done tastefully as not to hurt someone who has lost someone or a home during one of these horrible events in our history?

...Joe...

Comment

A movie is coming out about the 1901 (???) San Francisco earthquake. Base it on that. No one is around anymore to be offended.

Comment

Originally posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
                              The only problem with attractions based off of disasters such as these is how to do them tastefully and classy enough as not to offend, piss off, or hurt someone who has been through one of these horrific events. Imagine being someone who lost someone in the 1989 earthquake up here in the Bay Area. Now, imagine a ride in Disneyland loosely based off of this event. Would it seem to you that Disney was capitalizing off of the demise of your loved one, or whatnot?

I, personally, don't believe I would see it this way. However, I have never been in this situation so I do not know. I believe Universal Studios gets away with this because the earthquake section is actually based off a classic movie.

Again, how could something like this be done tastefully as not to hurt someone who has lost someone or a home during one of these horrible events in our history?

...Joe...
                              Well, good grief, if that's what you're thinking, imagine how many people Pirates of the Caribbean must have offended!

*Drinking
                              *Fire
                              *?
                              *Sub-subservience of women
                              *Stealing
                              *Drowning

etc...

My house was on fire once. I still cringe at the memory. And as you know, So. Cal has had notorious issues with fire.

But I'm not offended by Pirates because there's fire involved.

It's called historical context.

Ignoring truth, ignoring history and pretending certain things never happened, leads to ignorance. We document these things in many different forms of "entertainment" to learn about them and have a better understanding of this world, to not repeat the same mistakes.

Now, I wouldn't, per say, think it would be ok to have an AA human on fire. That is distasteful.

As long as the audience wouldn't wouldn't see the actual instance of the human suffering, I think it's ok.

But even that is nixed by PotC. The pirates dunk the town mayor in the well. It works only because the scene is portrayed in a humorous manner. Many variables are involved.

My uncle drowned when he was 12 years old, so I never met him. am I and my family offended by the dunking of the mayor scene? Nope.

You can't please everyone no matter what you do, but things can be done, even in light of all the bad things associated, tastefully.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                Do you guys think they should ALL be LANDS.

Like Carlsand, Bugsland, Hollywoodland, etc.
                                One of the reasons I have resisted using the word, "land", in reference to the areas in D.C.A. is because people rarely refer to parts of the actual California that way. The public is more likely to refer to Gold Country, the Inland Empire, the Bay Area, the Central Valley, and all the others as "regions". Additionally, "land" has fairy-tale connotations that should be reserved for The Magic Kingdom, itself. The one exception, though, is "Hollywoodland", which is the region of Disney's California that is the most directly associated with Disney. The dream factories of show business lend themselves to fairy-tale imagery, which parallels that found in Disneyland proper.

"Hollywood Pictures Backlot" is the clunkiest and least imaginative name Disney could use for that area. "Hollywoodland", though, bespeaks a romance that is removed from reality and that avoids competing with the actual Hollywood that lies thirty miles to the North.

Comment

n'est ce pas?

Comment

"a bug's land" has never worked for me. "Bountiful Valley" was such an evocative name, though, that conjured in the minds of people some of the most romantic imagery in the entire park.

"Bountiful Valley" should certainly be used again to describe the area that now contains Flik's Fun Fair and "It's Tough to Be a Bug".

Comment

Carsland should be...

Radiator Springs, California?

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                        Carsland should be...

Radiator Springs, California?
                                        Well, since Radiator Springs is, specifically, not in California, I think the W.D.I. group responsible for the project should exercise a little more creativity in their efforts to incorporate the "Cars" characters into Disney's California.

The characters are only related to California through Route 66 and the car culture, so all the concepts should begin there. There is no imagination in some of these ideas that seem only to rehash the plot of the movie.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X