Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Regions of Disney's California

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: The Regions of Disney's California

    In my opinion A bug's land sould go and the lands should be Golden state,Paridise peir,hollywood(no "pictures backlot" at the end)and in place of bugs land there should be an expantion of Hollywood and a san francisco area. Cars land should be redused a bit and become not only based on the movie but about California's obsession with cars in a desert(sp) 1950's style setting. And I like the idea of making Condor flats simply more "grizzly peak"

    Comment


    • #22
      Re: The Regions of Disney's California

      I think there should be some kind of Sierra area. I mean California isn't just "sunny all the time lets go surf" state.

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: The Regions of Disney's California

        Originally posted by pianoman13 View Post
        And I like the idea of making Condor flats simply more "grizzly peak"
        Lady I want my money back, we came to see Condor Flats and there weren't even any condors. We came all the way from the Audobon School in New York.

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: The Regions of Disney's California

          Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
          Well, since Radiator Springs is, specifically, not in California, I think the W.D.I. group responsible for the project should exercise a little more creativity in their efforts to incorporate the "Cars" characters into Disney's California.

          The characters are only related to California through Route 66 and the car culture, so all the concepts should begin there. There is no imagination in some of these ideas that seem only to rehash the plot of the movie.
          I don't get why they base a whole land on a MOVIE! It wasn't even a big hit for Pixar. This is like the second coming of Bugs Land.

          Comment


          • #25
            Re: The Regions of Disney's California

            Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
            Well, since Radiator Springs is, specifically, not in California, I think the W.D.I. group responsible for the project should exercise a little more creativity in their efforts to incorporate the "Cars" characters into Disney's California.

            The characters are only related to California through Route 66 and the car culture, so all the concepts should begin there. There is no imagination in some of these ideas that seem only to rehash the plot of the movie.
            You can't trust Owen Wilson to know if he's in California or not. It could be he was trying to get back to California when he was in state all along. If only he'd been to DCA he'd know that.

            If that doesn't work, we'll magically take you over a waterfall and go back in time to Arizona in 2005 to experience Carsland.

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: The Regions of Disney's California

              Paradise Pier has major image problems. I think even the least sophisticated among us interpret this region as being a dumping ground for cheap carnival rides Disney was able to buy off the metaphorical shelf. So, instead of continuing to insult everyone's intelligence, Disney should have Paradise Pier revert back to its working title, "Paradise Beach".

              Doing so would de-emphasize the amusement zone while the act would also reassert the role of the California coastline and the Pacific Ocean in the overall concept.
              Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-28-2007, 09:46 PM.

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                Paradise Pier has major image problems. I think even the least sophisticated among us interpret this region as being a dumping ground for cheap carnival rides Disney was able to buy off the proverbial shelf. So, I believe Disney should have Paradise Pier revert back to its working title, "Paradise Beach".

                Doing so would de-emphasize the amusement zone while the act would also reassert the role of the California coastline and the Pacific Ocean in the overall concept.
                As I've said before, it does not jut out into a body of water on three sides. It's a boardwalk, not a pier.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                  The 'lands' in DCA should be:

                  *Walt Disney Plaza
                  *Hollywood (possibly with a sub-land, the 'Backlot', over by Monsters)
                  *Grizzly Peak
                  *Bay Area (Including the current SF buildings, an expansion into the Golden Dreams location, and Pacific Wharf)
                  *Paradise Pier
                  *Pixar Place (or Pixar something), encompassing Bugs and Cars. Ideally, Monsters should be moved to this area as well.

                  So that's six 'lands', and they all fit California just fine, with the possible exception of Pixar Place.

                  But even that is not too incongruous - Pixar is actually located in California, Route 66 has California ties, there are 'Bugs' in California, etc. And since the attractions are all based on movies, it kinda ties into Hollywood as well. Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but not too bad.

                  And the name of the park should be Walt Disney's California Adventure, as rumored.

                  There. Fixed. :thumbup:

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                    Originally posted by SimpTwister View Post
                    *Pixar Place (or Pixar something), encompassing Bugs and Cars. Ideally, Monsters should be moved to this area as well.

                    So that's six 'lands', and they all fit California just fine, with the possible exception of Pixar Place.

                    But even that is not too incongruous - Pixar is actually located in California, Route 66 has California ties, there are 'Bugs' in California, etc. And since the attractions are all based on movies, it kinda ties into Hollywood as well. Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but not too bad.
                    Interestingly, I suggested that Disney develop an indoor pavilion filled with attractions devoted to computers, "Silicon Valley", and Disney Pixar's digital animation in this thread: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...pple-40747.htm

                    Fertile Imaginations was intended to be a way to connect Bountiful Valley with the Hollywood area on the opposite side of the park, and the indoor nature of the pavilion would potentially allow for additional guest areas to be developed on the roof.

                    To my way of thinking, each region of D.C.A. has to be more than just a desert airfield or a forested recreation area. In this instance, Bountiful Valley would be a celebration of the industry of California that is presented in the mode of working vineyards, groves, and orchards. Agriculture would be a metaphor for industry, in general.

                    Similarly, Paradise Beach could be a celebration of the active and carefree lifestyle of California in the mode of an oceanfront amusement zone while Hollywoodland might celebrate the culture of California in the mode of a backlot stage set representing Hollywood Boulevard. Each of these areas has to attain a larger meaning and assume a global significance in order for them to possess vitality for and relevance to guests.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                      Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                      Interestingly, I suggested that Disney develop an indoor pavilion filled with attractions devoted to computers, "Silicon Valley", and Disney Pixar's digital animation in this thread: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...pple-40747.htm

                      Fertile Imaginations was intended to be a way to connect Bountiful Valley with the Hollywood area on the opposite side of the park, and the indoor nature of the pavilion would potentially allow for additional guest areas to be developed on the roof.

                      To my way of thinking, each region of D.C.A. has to be more than just a desert airfield or a forested recreation area. In this instance, Bountiful Valley would be a celebration of the industry of California that is presented in the mode of working vineyards, groves, and orchards. Agriculture would be a metaphor for industry, in general.

                      Similarly, Paradise Beach could be a celebration of the active and carefree lifestyle of California in the mode of an oceanfront amusement zone while Hollywoodland might celebrate the culture of California in the mode of a backlot stage set depicting Hollywood Boulevard. Each of these areas has to attain a larger meaning and assume a global significance in order for them to possess vitality for and relevance to guests.
                      I like those ideas. But iI just wish Disney added more forest areas to DCA. There is a lot of forests in N. CA.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                        IMHO i perfer raditor spring over cars land
                        sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                          Pacific Wharf really was never a region unto itself.

                          The only attractions there are those related to the restaurants, so Pacific Wharf is effectively just a glorified food court. I still like the place, though. So, by naming the area something generic, like "the Embarcadero", Disney can keep expectations regarding Pacific Wharf low. Additionally, I think the area fits well in the larger Bountiful Valley story, which encompasses everything from food and wine to John Steinbeck.

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                            Originally posted by Frosty Bear View Post
                            I like those ideas. But iI just wish Disney added more forest areas to DCA. There is a lot of forests in N. CA.
                            I agree they need a second 'mountain' - I think a ski/snowmobile attraction (not too similar to Matterhorn) would make sense. Call it Expedition Summit.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                              Isn't Paradise Pier a realm of the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area?

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                                Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                Isn't Paradise Pier a realm of the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area?
                                No, but everything is an extension of FRONTIERLAND.

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                                  Well, the defacto theme they seem to be limping towards is 'Disney Animation through Time'. From Walt's arrival in California up through the Pixar films of today, almost all that is being planned ties into Disney animated films of the past and present. DCA is about to become Fantasyland on steroids. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Its a much better theme than what they started out with.

                                  When all is said and done, the only remaining connection to California will be that all of the films depicted were made there.
                                  Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad


                                  Dream big. Do what you love.

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                                    My vote for the retheme:

                                    Tinseltown U.S.A.: The new entryway.
                                    Hollywoodland: A land devoted to the movies and animation and 1930s Hollywood. I want Monster's Inc. to be redone SO THE MONSTERS KNOW THEY ARE IN A PLAY/MOVIE, AND THEY'RE ACTING IT OUT FOR YOU. It's the only way to make a tie-in at this point.
                                    Goldenland: encompassing condor flats and Grizzly Peak, as a sweeping valley with lots of trees and the Grizzly Peak rising above it. Retheme area to Sutter's Mill, put Soaring in an older-looking building. Add a mine train ride like "rainbow caverns" slower localized relaxing ride around peak and rec area.
                                    Bugs land
                                    Cars land
                                    Undersea land: With carousel, Grotto, TLM, and another attraction (Crush's Coaster?) and scenery.
                                    Paradise Pier

                                    Turn the pacific wharf into the World of Color amphitheater, and the rest of pacific wharf into part of the train ride in the Goldenland. A geek note, I'd love it if there was a train line that went under the parks through an old western diorama and connected Frontierland to Goldenland. Be great.
                                    Last edited by seasnake; 10-29-2007, 04:23 PM.
                                    "It was worth it if you learned something."

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                                      I know I did at least 3 extensive threads on Paradise Pier, the Forrest, and Hollywood Backlot (I still want them to put in the giant H btw!) and I believe I did a smaller bit on Condor flats. I am one of the few who doesn't want them to toss out the California theme... why... because it would be giving up. It would be saying ""Oh we're not creative enough we give up!" Which is essentially what has already happened in everything but name. They have given up, and replaced truely creative concepts with Pixar and paintjobs.

                                      As far as the Eathquakes there is one specific one that will ALWAYS stand out and that is the Great San Fran quake. As a testiment to that I really wish they would have built a replica of the fountain that survivors huddled around to hear news of family and friends. Every year on the anniversary they still gather there... THAT would have brought a little of San Fran to the San Fran area as well as implimenting theme, history, art, and a much needed water feature.
                                      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

                                      sigpic

                                      "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                                        So you want ... earthquake land ...
                                        Cool, cool, depressing, cool.
                                        "It was worth it if you learned something."

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Re: The Regions of Disney's California

                                          Originally posted by DisneyMickey View Post
                                          I think the set up is fine. The only thing I have a problem with was the lands within lands:

                                          Golden State
                                          -Pacific Wharf
                                          -Bountiful Valley Farm (now gone)
                                          -Condor Flats
                                          Hollywood Pictures Backlot
                                          -Hollywood Studios

                                          I completely accept all the plans for DCA and look forward to them. I think they should eliminate the sub-lands and develop them all into their own setting, which seems to be what they are doing.
                                          I agree. The subland concept is just confusing.
                                          "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X