X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied
    Re: The Regions of Disney's California

I wonder if any of the old HOLLYWOODLAND ideas will get picked up again in the DCA 2.0 makeover.

Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy Ride sounds fun. Could they have Roger Rabbit themed attractions at DCA and ToonTown?

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

I believe that Disney only used Long Beach as a stick so Anaheim would eat their carrots and let them expand the DLR. But how would announcing developments they don't intend to pursue benefit them in the Hollywoodland/Disney Decade example or in the DCA expansion/remodel ???

I am pretty confident what they've outlined for DCA will all go through, as well as a lot of other changes / additions / devlelopments that are to be announced. I really don't think we're going to see a bait-and-switch like we did with PortDisney DisneySea-Long Beach. Or even Westcot-DCA.

The bait and switch is coming.... After they get the land and permits to open a 3rd theme park, rumor has it that it'll be a premium experience - more expensive and less often repeat-visited. More for the Hollywood stars and their families and the uber rich than the everyday joe. It won't be included in your Premium Annual Passport. Melanie and Antonio will take their kids.

I hope that is not what happens, but that's what's been leaking out.

Leave a comment:

• bfdf55
    replied

Originally posted by BigThunder View Post
    One of my favorites too. My only complaint was that it wasn't animated. Man, I want to see those trains move and those Tea Cups spin!
    Pretty hard to do at that scale. Great model though.

Hopefully they will be keeping it. They have mentioned a Walt Disney Story in the new Carthay Theater. If they don't keep the model in the DL Opera House, maybe they'll house it in that location.

Leave a comment:

• bfdf55
    replied

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Please don't contradict someone when you don't know what you're talking about. There's this other website called GOOGLE you might try it before saying someone is wrong.

Anyway ... Once 1996 rolled around, had the "Disney Decade" masterplan been closely adherred to, Disneyland would have seen the addition of a brand-new attraction -- *** Tracy's Crime Stoppers -- which would have actually heralded the coming of a whole new "land" at the Anaheim theme park, Hollywoodland.
    [CENTER]

"So what would it have been like to ride the '*** Tracy's Crime Stoppers' attraction?," you ask. Quoting again from that Disneyland press release from the Spring of 1990:
    Guests will literally get "into the act" in this new high-tech action-adventure featuring the very latest in Audio-Animatronics, simulation, sound and special effects.Guest will join America's favorite comic-strip detective in a high-speed chase with his gangster adversaries.
    1999 would have seen the completion of Disneyland's Hollywoodland. Which was to have been constructed on that piece of backstage property between Tomorrowland and Main Street U.S.A. This new "land" was to have been " ... an idealized recreation of Hollywood Boulevard in the '30s and '40s, complete with shops, restaurants and the atmosphere that marked the 'Golden Age of Movies.' "
    "But what about Space Mountain?," you query. "Wouldn't that large white futurristic-looking building looming up behind Hollywood Boulevard have blown the effect that the Imagineers were going for?" Not to worry, folks. WDI had a plan. Which involved redressed the backstage-facing portion of Space Mountain so that the show building now resembled the Hollywood hills. Complete with its very own replica of the original Hollywood sign.
    The above pencil drawing is one of the only layouts that I've ever seen for Disneyland's Hollywoodland. Guests would have enter this part of the theme park via the arch at the lower right, which was to have been located near just off of Town Square in Main Street U.S.A.
    As for the attractions that the Imagineers hoped to have built in Disneyland's Hollywoodland area, these were to have included (again quoting from that 1990 press release):
    • Toontown Trolley will introduce a new fantasy dimension to the simulator technology made popular by "Star Tours." Roger Rabbit will take guests on a wild ride through the cartoon world of Toontown, first seen in the Touchstone Pictures release, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" executive-produced by Steven Spielberg.
      <LI class=body>Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy Ride, inspired by the misadventures of Baby Herman and Roger Rabbit in the recent Disney cartoon short "Tummy Trouble," will zoom through the sets of Toontown Hospital, fly down stairs, crash through doors and bound over beds. <LI class=body>The Great Movie Ride, which debuted last year at the Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World in Florida, travels through the most memorable scenes from classic films of yesteryear, as recreated with the most complex and realistic Disney Audio-Animatronic technology ever developed.
    • Superstar Television will enable guests to step into scenes from classic television programs and take co-starring roles opposite their favorite TV stars.

Above is a concept painting of the interior of the "Toontown Trolley" attraction, where Roger Rabbit was supposed to take Disneyland guests on a tour of "The City That Toons Built" ... And -- of course -- something goes horribly wrong as soon as the ride gets underway.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...11/05/490.aspx

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

See when I was a kid, I ran hotwheels over the RR crossings on the little streets.

When I was older it was race cars on a track with a train around it.

Now, I'd be happy with that model on Main Street.

The other day I was poring over a Disney map of DCA that showed the entrance at the top and Screamin at the bottom, giving you the reverse perspective of the park. A half hour later I was getting: "Still looking at that map?" comments.

Leave a comment:

• BigThunder
    replied

BTW the model of DL on opening day is my favorite thing at Disneyland, I will be so sad if they take it off stage.
    One of my favorites too. My only complaint was that it wasn't animated. Man, I want to see those trains move and those Tea Cups spin!

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

I had an H-O railroad that circled an electric racetrack with various buildings, and before that an H-O railroad with hotwheels sized streets and buildings that I played with as a kid.

Your MTTNW model railroad sort of makes up for lost time and gives you more Disney addict status than I have.

It's way cool, I really want to see it in person. It'll be like riding it for the first time.

BTW the model of DL on opening day is my favorite thing at Disneyland, I will be so sad if they take it off stage.

Leave a comment:

• BigThunder
    replied

Well you must not have been into Disneyland as long as I have.
    True. I was only a casual 'user' through most of my childhood, even though I grew up about 20 minutes away. Its only been in the last decade or so that my 'addiction' has kicked into overdrive.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

Originally posted by BigThunder View Post
    Great info CA. I must admit I had never heard of this. Looks like most of it got shelved in favor of Toontown.
    Well you must not have been into Disneyland as long as I have. I think I started writing letters to them about the time I started writing.

I used to get all the latest press releases and new brochures/vacation guides/park maps mailed to me from DL, WDW and TDL when I was in elementary school.

Then the internet and MiceAge / MiceChat and so forth changed everything.

Leave a comment:

• seasnake
    replied

The toontown trolley looks great, the should totally throught that in in some form into Townton. It'd be a lot of fun to be able to enter that world in such an immersive way.

Leave a comment:

• BigThunder
    replied

Great info CA. I must admit I had never heard of this. Looks like most of it got shelved in favor of Toontown.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

Originally posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Uh, no, they weren't.
    Please don't contradict someone when you don't know what you're talking about. There's this other website called GOOGLE you might try it before saying someone is wrong.

Anyway ... Once 1996 rolled around, had the "Disney Decade" masterplan been closely adherred to, Disneyland would have seen the addition of a brand-new attraction -- *** Tracy's Crime Stoppers -- which would have actually heralded the coming of a whole new "land" at the Anaheim theme park, Hollywoodland.

"So what would it have been like to ride the '*** Tracy's Crime Stoppers' attraction?," you ask. Quoting again from that Disneyland press release from the Spring of 1990:
    Guests will literally get "into the act" in this new high-tech action-adventure featuring the very latest in Audio-Animatronics, simulation, sound and special effects.Guest will join America's favorite comic-strip detective in a high-speed chase with his gangster adversaries.
    1999 would have seen the completion of Disneyland's Hollywoodland. Which was to have been constructed on that piece of backstage property between Tomorrowland and Main Street U.S.A. This new "land" was to have been " ... an idealized recreation of Hollywood Boulevard in the '30s and '40s, complete with shops, restaurants and the atmosphere that marked the 'Golden Age of Movies.' "
    "But what about Space Mountain?," you query. "Wouldn't that large white futurristic-looking building looming up behind Hollywood Boulevard have blown the effect that the Imagineers were going for?" Not to worry, folks. WDI had a plan. Which involved redressed the backstage-facing portion of Space Mountain so that the show building now resembled the Hollywood hills. Complete with its very own replica of the original Hollywood sign.

The above pencil drawing is one of the only layouts that I've ever seen for Disneyland's Hollywoodland. Guests would have enter this part of the theme park via the arch at the lower right, which was to have been located near just off of Town Square in Main Street U.S.A.
    As for the attractions that the Imagineers hoped to have built in Disneyland's Hollywoodland area, these were to have included (again quoting from that 1990 press release):
    • Toontown Trolley will introduce a new fantasy dimension to the simulator technology made popular by "Star Tours." Roger Rabbit will take guests on a wild ride through the cartoon world of Toontown, first seen in the Touchstone Pictures release, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" executive-produced by Steven Spielberg.
      <LI class=body>Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy Ride, inspired by the misadventures of Baby Herman and Roger Rabbit in the recent Disney cartoon short "Tummy Trouble," will zoom through the sets of Toontown Hospital, fly down stairs, crash through doors and bound over beds. <LI class=body>The Great Movie Ride, which debuted last year at the Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World in Florida, travels through the most memorable scenes from classic films of yesteryear, as recreated with the most complex and realistic Disney Audio-Animatronic technology ever developed.
    • Superstar Television will enable guests to step into scenes from classic television programs and take co-starring roles opposite their favorite TV stars.
    Above is a concept painting of the interior of the "Toontown Trolley" attraction, where Roger Rabbit was supposed to take Disneyland guests on a tour of "The City That Toons Built" ... And -- of course -- something goes horribly wrong as soon as the ride gets underway.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...11/05/490.aspx

Leave a comment:

• bfdf55
    replied

No sub-lands. New Orleans Square is not a part of Frontierland. Hollywood Pictures backlot should be one land: Hollywoodland.

Once upon a time, during Eisner's anticipated "Disney Decade" of the 1990s, they were going to build a Hollywoodland between Main Street and Space Mountain.

Uh, no, they weren't.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

No sub-lands. New Orleans Square is not a part of Frontierland. Hollywood Pictures backlot should be one land: Hollywoodland.

Once upon a time, during Eisner's anticipated "Disney Decade" of the 1990s, they were going to build a Hollywoodland between Main Street and Space Mountain.

Leave a comment:

• BigThunder
    replied

Originally posted by mushufan View Post
    The subland concept is just confusing.
    Cool! There planning a Subland? Wow. Will Nemo be there?

This is how rumors get started.

Leave a comment:

• mushufan
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    I think the set up is fine. The only thing I have a problem with was the lands within lands:

Golden State
    -Pacific Wharf
    -Bountiful Valley Farm (now gone)
    -Condor Flats
    Hollywood Pictures Backlot
    -Hollywood Studios

I completely accept all the plans for DCA and look forward to them. I think they should eliminate the sub-lands and develop them all into their own setting, which seems to be what they are doing.
    I agree. The subland concept is just confusing.

Leave a comment:

• seasnake
    replied

So you want ... earthquake land ...
    Cool, cool, depressing, cool.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

I know I did at least 3 extensive threads on Paradise Pier, the Forrest, and Hollywood Backlot (I still want them to put in the giant H btw!) and I believe I did a smaller bit on Condor flats. I am one of the few who doesn't want them to toss out the California theme... why... because it would be giving up. It would be saying ""Oh we're not creative enough we give up!" Which is essentially what has already happened in everything but name. They have given up, and replaced truely creative concepts with Pixar and paintjobs.

As far as the Eathquakes there is one specific one that will ALWAYS stand out and that is the Great San Fran quake. As a testiment to that I really wish they would have built a replica of the fountain that survivors huddled around to hear news of family and friends. Every year on the anniversary they still gather there... THAT would have brought a little of San Fran to the San Fran area as well as implimenting theme, history, art, and a much needed water feature.

Leave a comment:

• seasnake
    replied

My vote for the retheme:

Tinseltown U.S.A.: The new entryway.
    Hollywoodland: A land devoted to the movies and animation and 1930s Hollywood. I want Monster's Inc. to be redone SO THE MONSTERS KNOW THEY ARE IN A PLAY/MOVIE, AND THEY'RE ACTING IT OUT FOR YOU. It's the only way to make a tie-in at this point.
    Goldenland: encompassing condor flats and Grizzly Peak, as a sweeping valley with lots of trees and the Grizzly Peak rising above it. Retheme area to Sutter's Mill, put Soaring in an older-looking building. Add a mine train ride like "rainbow caverns" slower localized relaxing ride around peak and rec area.
    Bugs land
    Cars land
    Undersea land: With carousel, Grotto, TLM, and another attraction (Crush's Coaster?) and scenery.
    Paradise Pier

Turn the pacific wharf into the World of Color amphitheater, and the rest of pacific wharf into part of the train ride in the Goldenland. A geek note, I'd love it if there was a train line that went under the parks through an old western diorama and connected Frontierland to Goldenland. Be great.
    Last edited by seasnake; 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BigThunder
    replied

Well, the defacto theme they seem to be limping towards is 'Disney Animation through Time'. From Walt's arrival in California up through the Pixar films of today, almost all that is being planned ties into Disney animated films of the past and present. DCA is about to become Fantasyland on steroids. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Its a much better theme than what they started out with.

When all is said and done, the only remaining connection to California will be that all of the films depicted were made there.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X