Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

"Old Matterhorn" video on YouTube!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Old Matterhorn" video on YouTube!

Okay, I am so sorry if this has been posted before...but I've just found footage of a type I've never seen posted before. This YouTube clip shows footage of the Matterhorn as it existed in the early 70s, before the introduction of Harold and all the ice caves inside. Unfortunately, the clip shows none of the empty superstructure inside the mountain, but it does show something I've wanted to see for a long time--the view from the top of the lift hill, overlooking Tomorrowland. Yes, that's right...Tomorrowland. Everyone says it overlooked Main Street, but it actually showed a lot more Tomorrowland than Main Street.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this. And oddly enough, the film is too slow. Watch how gently the bobsleds appear to be gliding along the tracks! )

Re: "Old Matterhorn" video on YouTube!

woa!

sooooo cool!!!!!!
    sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

You've found the Holy Grail.

Comment

those sleds are adorable.

Comment

Great video!!! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
            Unfortunately, the clip shows none of the empty superstructure inside the mountain, but it does show something I've wanted to see for a long time--the view from the top of the lift hill, overlooking Tomorrowland. Yes, that's right...Tomorrowland. Everyone says it overlooked Main Street, but it actually showed a lot more Tomorrowland than Main Street.
            The right side track gave a nice view of Main Street at the top of the lift. This clip is of the left side track.

Great video. Ahhh, memories.
            Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

The right side track gave a nice view of Main Street at the top of the lift. This clip is of the left side track.
              Ah, yes. I'm a little slow. Both tracks initially point in the same direction, so the view is mainly of Tomorrowland for both tracks at first, but then the right track turns right. The holes are a lot wider than I thought they were, so you're absolutely right--through the turn, guests would have had a nice view of Main Street.

Comment

wow , great find , i can't believe how much it's changed! at the top of the lift hill now you are still in total darkness

My Maleficent tattoo

Comment

Great video, but it's WAY before the 70's. Stop the video when it's at the top of the lift and looking into Tomorrowland. If it was from the 70's, you'd see the updated 1967 Tomorrowland. This has Tomorrowland PRE 1967. This is at least early 60's, maybe even around the time of opening. SWEET!

Comment

Yup, GrimmGreen, that was one of the major changes to the ride. Check out Yesterland for shots of the inside, which didn't have any ice caves. HUGE change.

Great video, but it's WAY before the 70's. Stop the video when it's at the top of the lift and looking into Tomorrowland. If it was from the 70's, you'd see the updated 1967 Tomorrowland. This has Tomorrowland PRE 1967. This is at least early 60's, maybe even around the time of opening. SWEET!
                    Good gracious me, you're right. Good catch!

Comment

When the people are first getting into the bobsled,that looks the mid 70's. the actual ride footage is early 60's. That's what I think. Cool footage either way.
                      sigpic

Comment

I didn't go on it, when I went to Disneyland. But that does look like it would be fun now. I should have given it a shot.
                        Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

Yes, you should have! It's a really enjoyable classic coaster. That clip really doesn't give you a very good sense of what the ride's like now, though. Harold the abominable snowman moved in during the late 70s, and he gives riders on each track a few scares. The huge openings at the top of the lift hill are gone, replaced with dark passages in which Harold's eyes glow. The ride's faster than it looks in the video, and you go through lots of small caves and grottoes within the mountain.

Comment

So. Cool.

Thank you.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X