X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villains Fan
    replied
    Re: I was attacked by a baby stroller while at Disneyland

This thread, like all the stroller threads before it, has run it's course and at this point it's time to agree to disagree on the whole stroller issue. This thread is now closed....Everybody have a great stroller hit-free day

Leave a comment:

• Jennidisneyfer
    replied

Originally posted by DCAFTW View Post
    Not that it matters, but yes I do.

Well behaved little angels (usually) that know if they need to get somewhere, they better wear comfortable shoes.
    Good to know you have experience with the situation firsthand because honestly, unless you've been there, it's difficult to fully understand what it's like. And yes, I've been to the Park before having children as well.

So, how old were they again when they stopped using the stroller? And, if I may, what are the ages? Just trying to get an idea of where you're coming from...

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Get out of my park!

Leave a comment:

• DCAFTW
    replied

Not that it matters, but yes I do.

Well behaved little angels (usually) that know if they need to get somewhere, they better wear comfortable shoes.

Leave a comment:

• hollywood1939
    replied

Then you aren't looking hard enough. Try weaving past a double stroller in Adventureland past the treehouse and you'll be singing a different tune.

As there should be. There is of course a need for strollers for kids 0-3/4 in the park, that can't be avoided. After that however, there is (outside of a disability) no excuse.
    Do you have kids? Seriously.

Originally posted by aashee View Post
    Crying and Disneyland go hand in hand:

Sad.
    Get out of my park!

Leave a comment:

• Tinkerbelle
    replied

It's not difficult to read a situation when you are trained to do so. People aren't as complicated as you would like to give them credit for.
    I'm afraid your barking up the wrong tree here...

See, I do in fact have a strong education and background in Child development.

So I AM in fact Trained to notice these things.

and yes in fact young children actualy are complicated, and so are the family dymanics, to which I am also trained and educated to recognise and respond to...

This really, has absolutely nothing to do with putting a child to sleep when they are tired. Different personalities, different parenting styles, they do not equate to having different options when a child is tired. When a child is tired, you put them to sleep. It's across the board the only thing you can do to keep a child on a healthy schedule. Expecting a six year old to soldier through is unnecessary and out of line.

SO yes, some kids are different, and need to be handled differently. However I maintain that this isn't one of those times, and a standard approach is really the only option.
    In fact it does, but I could argue this point until I'm blue in the face and you won't see what I'm trying to say to you...

Leave a comment:

• DCAFTW
    replied

Originally posted by Tinkerbelle View Post

Well that's just a little judgemental, don't ya think.
    as has been brought up in many other threads, weight doesn't necessarily = lazy and over indulgent...

sheesh.

tolerance people....try it.
    Actually most of it is lifestyle, so when lazy parents are encouraging lazy behavior, it's kind of a no brainer.

and who are you to say how much sleep a child needs at a certain age or what that childs needs and demands are. I would think the parents would know.

are you an expert in child psycology, pediatrics or child development?

if no to any of those, than please stop stateing what it best for "the child"
    Gee actually. I worked for many years with developmentally delayed children, encouraging positive activities, teaching social skills, enforcing social norms and educating on proper eating/sleeping/interacting behavior.

Funny, because one of the BIG things we teach our Autistic students is to 'track'. Watching where you are walking, tracking the movements of the people and things around you, and reacting in such a way that will avoid collissions and confrontations.

Funny of course, because these kids do this much more effectively than most 'mainstream' children.

I'm getting irritated, but not angry...
    I have wal-mart...
    I dislike McDonalds

God Bless America
    Awesome.

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

Originally posted by drb View Post
    If that was directed at me, I wasn't bent out of shape (and I didn't cut in front of anybody, I was walking a perfectly straight line with nobody around me), I hadn't said anything more than "ow!" (because, well, OW!), it was my husband who barked at him, since, well, that WAS an awfully stupid thing to do, but after he yelled a bit at my husband, he turned around and started yelling at me. I hadn't done or said anything, it was zero percent my fault that he hit me, but he apparently felt embarassed and threatened, so he started insulting and cursing at ME. It was just a memorable "What the hell?" moment. He had to have been looking away or down for a fairly long time without ever looking forward to see where he was going.

And it's just a thread entitled "I was attacked by a baby stroller while at Disneyand," so I thought I'd tell the time I was attacked by a baby stroller while at Disneyland. Full stop. Anyone who thinks that I'm making any editorial comment about strollers in general or the people who push them, or that it must have all been my fault because nobody pushing a stroller could ever just happen to be an incredible jerk, is being WAY too over-sensitive. Rather like the guy who hit me then yelled at me.
    Good post drb. And that was the intent of the thread. Bad stroller drivers and guests that need to pay better attention. How it slipped into a psych class 101 I have no idea. Tis' the nature of chat boards though.

Leave a comment:

• drb
    replied

Originally posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Accidents do happen, you know? Thats why they are accidents. If the person intentionally hit you with the stroller, than I can see being all mad and bent out of shape.
    If that was directed at me, I wasn't bent out of shape (and I didn't cut in front of anybody, I was walking a perfectly straight line with nobody around me), I hadn't said anything more than "ow!" (because, well, OW!), it was my husband who barked at him, since, well, that WAS an awfully stupid thing to do, but after he yelled a bit at my husband, he turned around and started yelling at me. I hadn't done or said anything, it was zero percent my fault that he hit me, but he apparently felt embarassed and threatened, so he started insulting and cursing at ME. It was just a memorable "What the hell?" moment. He had to have been looking away or down for a fairly long time without ever looking forward to see where he was going.

And it's just a thread entitled "I was attacked by a baby stroller while at Disneyand," so I thought I'd tell the time I was attacked by a baby stroller while at Disneyland. Full stop. Anyone who thinks that I'm making any editorial comment about strollers in general or the people who push them, or that it must have all been my fault because nobody pushing a stroller could ever just happen to be an incredible jerk, is being WAY too over-sensitive. Rather like the guy who hit me then yelled at me.

Leave a comment:

• Jennidisneyfer
    replied

Then you aren't looking hard enough. Try weaving past a double stroller in Adventureland past the treehouse and you'll be singing a different tune.
    Dude, I've maneuvered a stroller past there and I still haven't seen any house-sized strollers. (Of course I know you're exaggerating) A double stroller is bigger than a regular one, obviously, and I'm thankful I never had the need for one as my kids were spaced 3-3 1/2 years apart, but still, they're not THAT big. When I see one, I'm just thankful it's not me who has to be pushing and turning it. I paid my dues. I get to walk with my hands free in DL now :yea: Except for all the bags I have to carry now that I don't have a stroller to put them in

As there should be. There is of course a need for strollers for kids 0-3/4 in the park, that can't be avoided. After that however, there is (outside of a disability) no excuse.
    Is this a law? Opinions vary. I happen to think 0-4/5 is fine. Depends on the kid too I'm sure.

How old were yours when they stopped using one?

Leave a comment:

• angeladlr
    replied

Just a quick comment on the issue (when did strollers become so highly controversial?). In regards to the comments criticizing parenting techniques and making assumptions based upon stroller use (which admittedly is a strange thing to be doing in itself), I would like to point out that children's traits and temperament are not based upon parenting techniques, in fact they have little to do with parenting. The correlation comes from parents adjusting their parenting techniques based upon the child's personality. So although parents certainly affect their children's beliefs and values and play some role in their temperament, your children are not well behaved, hyperactive, excitable, etc. based on whether or not you bring them to McDonald's or use a stroller.

Leave a comment:

• Tinkerbelle
    replied

I had to tend to a baby and couldn't post my last post right away...he's back to sleep now, so I can catch up...

Who's angry? I'm certaintly not.

Irritated, when a stroller the size of a house is blocking the entire walkway.
    who has a stroller as big as a house??? Hmm, my big red stroller a few pages back is the biggest stroller I have ever seen, but it's certainly not a house....hmmm

exagerate much.

Concerned, when a child that barely fits in a stroller they are too old for, is being pushed by two very large parents.
    Well that's just a little judgemental, don't ya think.
    as has been brought up in many other threads, weight doesn't necessarily = lazy and over indulgent...

sheesh.

tolerance people....try it.

Alarmed, when a child that is obviously too tired to walk on their own, or keep their eyes open, is being dragged around by a family rather than taken somewhere to get the sleep their age demands.
    and who are you to say how much sleep a child needs at a certain age or what that childs needs and demands are. I would think the parents would know.

are you an expert in child psychology, pediatrics or child development?

if no to any of those, than please stop stateing what it best for "the child"

...but not angry.

At least until I get ran over by another stampede of stroller weilding, 'I can parent however I want' Wal-mart loving, McDonalds eating.....Americans.

God Bless America.
    I'm getting irritated, but not angry...
    I hate wal-mart...
    I dislike McDonalds

God Bless America

Leave a comment:

• DCAFTW
    replied

Originally posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
    WOW! I am goin to assume that this was not a personal attach on my remarks that you quoted...
    Seeing as the tense wasn't direction towards one specific person, I think you're safe.

And for your information, children cry for a variety of reasons...not just because they are tired.
    well dur...

To assume that the parents are being ignorant and irrisponsable when you know nothing of the individual situations baffles me.
    It's not difficult to read a situation when you are trained to do so. People aren't as complicated as you would like to give them credit for.

you have stated that you have them, and they are well behaved.
    You are very lucky...
    but not all childrens personalities fit into the box I feel you are trying to place them...and not all parents can parent the same way for every child.

heck even with my own children I have to parent them differently, because what works for my daughter would never work for my son.

Please, try not to be so judgemental of people and your experience in the park would probably be much more enjoyable.
    This really, has absolutely nothing to do with putting a child to sleep when they are tired. Different personalities, different parenting styles, they do not equate to having different options when a child is tired. When a child is tired, you put them to sleep. It's across the board the only thing you can do to keep a child on a healthy schedule. Expecting a six year old to soldier through is unnecessary and out of line.

SO yes, some kids are different, and need to be handled differently. However I maintain that this isn't one of those times, and a standard approach is really the only option.

Leave a comment:

• Tinkerbelle
    replied

Actually, it makes them ignorant. Common courtesy is called that, because it's well, common. As in using common sense? Common sense would dictate that keeping a screaming tired child somewhere when they should really be in bed is not only inconsiderate, but rude and irresponsible.

There are issues that allow discretion and a difference of opinion, and there are issues (usually that involve coexisting with other people) that should follow a common guideline with respect to the people sharing your space. This would be one of them.

...and we wonder why our kids grow up to be self obsessed, spoiled little monsters? I say look no further than the parents.
    WOW! I am goin to assume that this was not a personal attach on my remarks that you quoted...

And for your information, children cry for a variety of reasons...not just because they are tired.

To assume that the parents are being ignorant and irrisponsable when you know nothing of the individual situations baffles me.

you have stated that you have them, and they are well behaved.
    You are very lucky...
    but not all childrens personalities fit into the box I feel you are trying to place them...and not all parents can parent the same way for every child.

heck even with my own children I have to parent them differently, because what works for my daughter would never work for my son.

Please, try not to be so judgemental of people and your experience in the park would probably be much more enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

Crying and Disneyland go hand in hand:

Sad.

Leave a comment:

• DCAFTW
    replied

Originally posted by Jennidisneyfer View Post
    Land that I love :love:

WOW, THAT'S A PRETTY BIG STROLLER!!! Can't say I've ever seen one though.

Unfortunately for the small percentage of people who are to pull off "I'm angry in the happiest place on earth" attitude there will ALWAYS be strollers in the park.

Leave a comment:

• Jennidisneyfer
    replied

Whose angry? I'm certaintly not.

Concerned, when a child that barely fits in a stroller is being pushed by two very large parents.

Alarmed, when a child that is obviously too tired to walk on their own, or keep their eyes open, is being dragged around by a family rather than taken somewhere to get the sleep their age demands.

...but not angry.

At least until I get ran over by another stampede of stroller weilding, 'I can parent however I want' Wal-mart loving, McDonalds eating.....Americans.

God Bless America.
    Land that I love :love:

WOW, THAT'S A PRETTY BIG STROLLER!!! Can't say I've ever seen one though.

I hate WalMart and McDonald's and weigh 110 lbs. Next arguement?

Leave a comment:

• Jennidisneyfer
    replied

Agreed, acting in the moment can be difficult, and hindsight is 20/20. However that's not what we are doing right now. Right now, people are defending the actions and intentions of the people who acted in the moment. They are saying that they would, in the light of day and with a clear head, repeat or mimic those actions, and that we should tolerate this intentional lack of courtesy.

Silly.
    I don't think anyone said they would intentionally run into someone with a stroller, at least not seriously. So what discourteous action is it you're referring to, bringing a stroller in the first place? That's definitely going to be repeated.

Weren't strollers invented so parents don't have to carry their children all the time?

Der.

Leave a comment:

• DCAFTW
    replied

Who's angry? I'm certaintly not.

Concerned, when a child that barely fits in a stroller they are too old for, is being pushed by two very large parents.

...but not angry.

God Bless America.

Leave a comment:

• LightBeer
    replied

Agreed, acting in the moment can be difficult, and hindsight is 20/20. However that's not what we are doing right now. Right now, people are defending the actions and intentions of the people who acted in the moment. They are saying that they would, in the light of day and with a clear head, repeat or mimic those actions, and that we should tolerate this intentional lack of courtesy.

Silly.

Silly indeed. Unfortunately for the small percentage of people who are to pull off "I'm angry in the happiest place on earth" attitude there will ALWAYS be strollers in the park.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X