This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pondering a trip to DCA ............

Let me start off by saying I am originally from SoCal. Grew up with DL. My last visit was to DL in '98, and I could see some of the construction going on over at DCA. It was also when the "new" TL opened. (booo...)

Since then lived in MA, but moved to FL a few years ago. Naturally, this DL vet is becommming a WDW vet now. Though of course I still feel the love for my home park.

DH and I are going out to SoCal for a wedding in August. Of course, I have to fit a visit to DL in there. Looking to stay at a good neighbor hotel....perhaps the Candy Cane or HoJos. Just can't stomach the cost of the on-site resorts, when it was so much cheaper to stay at the Coronado Springs the other week at WDW. (off topic..)

Anyway...

Should I visit DCA?

Going to DL is a no brainer and a must. DH has never been. However, we have never been to DCA. While I am interested in seeing this 2nd park, I have reservations about it.

1) Is it too similar to Disney Studios? To us, MGM is a 1/2 day park...not sure if worth the extra cost and time... but more importantly....

2) Will the park be experiencing too much construction at the time with all the refurbs and expansion going on? Keep in mind we are going in Aug. 08.

3) Do to #2 and my interest in seeing the park when it is in its full glory (fixed and done!), should I just wait for another future visit one day and go then?

Just curious about your thoughts.

Finally, what DL day should we go?

We are only going to DL one day the first week of August. I have read that going on Wednesday is a good day.... is that true? I know there usually isn't EE on that day. I know it will be crowded regardless, just trying to figure out which day is best though!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Re: Pondering a trip to DCA ............

I say just go to DCA just to see it now before the whole referb goes on so you could say oneday that you were there before the whole face lift
    http://www.myspace.com/nygard33

Comment

I would say go!... I mean, if you don't like it you can always leave to the other park. You don't know when your next opportunity to see DCA will be, and it's worth a look around... JMO.
      <3 Chloe

Comment

Originally posted by tofubeast View Post
        Let me start off by saying I am originally from SoCal. Grew up with DL. My last visit was to DL in '98, and I could see some of the construction going on over at DCA. It was also when the "new" TL opened. (booo...)

Since then lived in MA, but moved to FL a few years ago. Naturally, this DL vet is becommming a WDW vet now. Though of course I still feel the love for my home park.

DH and I are going out to SoCal for a wedding in August. Of course, I have to fit a visit to DL in there. Looking to stay at a good neighbor hotel....perhaps the Candy Cane or HoJos. Just can't stomach the cost of the on-site resorts, when it was so much cheaper to stay at the Coronado Springs the other week at WDW. (off topic..)

Anyway...

Should I visit DCA?

Going to DL is a no brainer and a must. DH has never been. However, we have never been to DCA. While I am interested in seeing this 2nd park, I have reservations about it.

1) Is it too similar to Disney Studios? To us, MGM is a 1/2 day park...not sure if worth the extra cost and time... but more importantly....

2) Will the park be experiencing too much construction at the time with all the refurbs and expansion going on? Keep in mind we are going in Aug. 08.

3) Do to #2 and my interest in seeing the park when it is in its full glory (fixed and done!), should I just wait for another future visit one day and go then?

Just curious about your thoughts.

Finally, what DL day should we go?

We are only going to DL one day the first week of August. I have read that going on Wednesday is a good day.... is that true? I know there usually isn't EE on that day. I know it will be crowded regardless, just trying to figure out which day is best though!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Seeing as your last visit to Disneyland was 98, I think you're OVERDUE!!! But I think it would be worth the visit to DCA while you're there. Even though there probably will be a lot of construction going on by then, I think it's worth the extra $20 or so to check it out.

No, Tower of Terror isn't as good as Florida's, but the ride system is better. CA Screamin is a fantastic coaster and though RockinRollercoaster has more inversions, you're gonna start to wish it was as long as Screamin! Grizzly River Run is a fun rapids ride... i think it's slightly better than Kali River Rapids.

The Disney Animation building is lovely here.

Toy Story Midway Mania will be open by the time you arrive.

Monsters Inc ride is something to check out.

And well... I guess that's about it. Soarin is at Epcot so if you've done that then it's the same thing. We do have the Aladdin musical, which is a pretty strong show if you're into that sort of thing.

DCA is not really anything like MGM Studios or Disney Paris Studios. They share a Hollywood area but it's only one "land" at DCA rather than occupying the entire park.

I personally think it would be fun for you to see the "before & after" of DCA. You're in the neighborhood... why not?

Of course if you stay on micechat, you can make a better decision when the time comes.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Thanks for the good advice! We have some time to decide. I am a nutty planner, and coming off the sadness of our recent WDW being done, it gives me something to concentrate and look forward too!

So are wed. really the best days to go to DL at the time of year I will be there?

Comment

Originally posted by tofubeast View Post
            Thanks for the good advice! We have some time to decide. I am a nutty planner, and coming off the sadness of our recent WDW being done, it gives me something to concentrate and look forward too!

So are wed. really the best days to go to DL at the time of year I will be there?

August is the tail end of summer though some private schools have started by then, weekdays are always better than weekends.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

go!!!!!! I love DCA and its a must for me!!

Comment

Though we never go in the summer, we have found Tues, Wed and Thurs to be the best days when we DO go...with Wed. being the best I think. Also make sure to be there when the park opens, actually try to be one of the first in lines, so you can get over to the ride you want to ride the most, or the one with the longest wait, like Nemo right now. We were there at 7:45 a.m yesterday for the 8am opening, but there were so many ahead of us going thru the turnstyle that it took us til 8:15 to get in. And definitely do both parks! Enjoy your visit!

Comment

If you've got the money, I say go for it. DCA is nothing compared to Disneyland, but that doesn't mean that it actually is worth nothing. As others have mentioned, Screamin' is a great coaster. While theming would have been nice, it's a lot of fun as it is. ToT is pretty enjoyable, too, as is Soarin'. If you've got the time and money, a little time in DCA can be nice. Just keep your priorities straight and give DL a proportionately appropriate amount of visit time.

Comment

I love DCA!

Go!

Comment

Yes. go see DCA, for what it is now. They already have changed a lot
                      of the Hollywood Studios Backlot. GRR and Condor flats is essentially
                      the same as when DCA opened. Flik's Fair is fun to walk thru at least
                      once, to check out the GREAT themed area. And Heimlichs Chew Chew
                      is just fun for the comments you will have afterwards (most likely it
                      will be "THAT was IT????"

And yes, check out ToT so you can compare the DL and WDW versions.
                      Bug's 3D movie is also slightly different, as is the queue for Soarin'.

It's also fun to compare how the parks change over time, and of course
                      if you miss DCA this time, you'll miss that chance to see for yourself
                      how a big part of it changed.
                      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

If you only have one day, just go to Disneyland. Disneyland is a full day park and if you haven't been there since 1998, there's a lot for you to see. You'll need plenty of time to see Nemo, wait for the fireworks, wait for Fantasmic!, etc. Since it will be a busy day, getting between the parks might be harder than usual, especially if you cross over during the wrong time, especially during the construction.

I would only recommend going to DCA if you were staying for two days and were planning to purchase a 2-day parkhopper. If it's just one day, stick to Disneyland. DCA is a half day park that will only soak up the time you would be spending at Disneyland.

Comment

Go for a few days, no sence in wasting it on one day!! go to disneyland 1 day and DCA the next. if its only 1 day you will not be able to see it all in disneyland.

Comment

Let's compare adult admission prices

One Day, One Park - $66, worth it for Disneyland, IMHO, DCA is not worth $66 for a single day, especially compared to Disneyland. DL is open later, and has more rides, attractions and entertainment choices.

One Day ParkHopper - $91, $25 more than a Disneyland only ticket. S0 do you want to pay $25 more, and cut into your day at Disneyland to check out DCA? For most people I would say no, but if you just want to hit the highlights, and ONLY have one day, it is an option.

Two Day ParkHopper - $122, so less than double 2 one day Disneyland only tickets, and $31 more than a 1 day PH, if you think you can do a day and a 1/2, this might be the better option, as you can enjoy Disneyland for a full day, and check out DCA for about a 1/2 day.

Three Day ParkHopper (bought in Advance) - $159, so $37 more than a 2 day, maybe an option if you have 2 evenings free, and want to visit one full day, and 2 partials, check the hours of operation, as with Disneyland closing at 8 PM on some off-season weekdays, it might not be worth the extra money.
                            Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Parkhopping is great if you have an annual pass or you are staying multiple days.

I just don't get 1 day parkhopping, unless you are doing it with a "2fer" ticket, where DCA is basically free anyway.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X