This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Attractions CM's

I have always wondered how people get staffed at the attractions. Do Cast Members get to make a selection or preference when they are hired or do they put you wherever they feel like it? Let's say, for instance, you wanted to work California Screamin' in DCA. Can you make a request to have that ride or do you just get assigned to it randomly?

Also, do Attractions Cast Members move around to different rides, or do they stay on the same one all the time?

Re: Question about Attractions CM's

I don't know how it's done now, but back in "the day" they placed you according to type. For example if you were creepy looking you were placed in Haunted Mansion. Big, burly guys were placed in CBJ or the Canoes. Storybookland at one point was staffed by females only -- same thing with the Tiki Room, hence Jose's greeting, "Buenos dias, senorita."

I am sure with today's equal opportunity employment laws they can no longer do this. They no longer do it anyway, so this is just my guess.

Comment

It boils down to staffing needs. You can put in a preference and they may try to fill it but they direct staffing to those locations that are considered "critical". Once you are trained you can put in a request for another attraction IN YOUR BUSINESS AREA. With high turnover they tend to train people at a 2nd or 3rd attraction pretty quick, used to be a lot longer before you saw #2 or #3. If you have multiple attractions you can put in a preference for which one you would like but that is also seniority based. I know at Jungle we would actively recruit individuals from other locations, not sure if that is done anymore. Going from one business unit to another is a pain, also transferring departments is a pain.
      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

yeah it all does depend on staffing needs as stated above. i actually went in for a character host originally but got a call back a week later saying i did not get the position but would i take attractions. They just placed me in paradise pier at the sunwheel i had no choice in that matter. But once you are in, you can tell your managers what you are interested in learning. i told them i wanted grizzley, screamin, and the challenge trail and dreams, i got them all. not in the order i requested but i did get them eventually. so once you are hired in you do have some say so. I wasn't comfortable training on maliboomer and told my managers that and gave them my reason why and i will not be trained on that ride, not that it doesn't matter since its going away soon.

And as for moving around during work. If you are on a bigger eticket attraction that will be the only one you work but say you were trained on smaller rides you would go from small ride to small ride. for example, you are trained on the sunwheel and carousel and both are in the same rotation. same with zepher and jelly fish and muholland madness and the rusty boat over at mcdonalds.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for all the information. I would love to work Screamin', but I would wonder where they would place me.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
            I don't know how it's done now, but back in "the day" they placed you according to type. For example if you were creepy looking you were placed in Haunted Mansion. Big, burly guys were placed in CBJ or the Canoes. Storybookland at one point was staffed by females only -- same thing with the Tiki Room, hence Jose's greeting, "Buenos dias, senorita."

I am sure with today's equal opportunity employment laws they can no longer do this. They no longer do it anyway, so this is just my guess.
            Very interesting. I think that some things must change with the times, but not everything. There are certain rides/attractions that need to be complemented with a compatible cast member.

Equal opportunity (also known as unequal opportunity) has done great things for some, but has affected many in a negative way. For instance, I have a friend that looks exactly like a pirate. He works at Disneyland. He dresses and acts like a pirate in his everyday life. A lot like the guy from Dodgeball. No joke.

So he applied for a spot at, yes, Pirates of the Caribbean. And although he was way more than qualified, a t-aarrrgg-iffic people person, and a comedian, he got beat to the post by another CM because of that persons ethnicity.

Tough break for the guy right? Well, not exactly. A couple weeks after the girl got hired, she was doing a ride walk-through at the end of park-operating hours with her boss and when he turned around, she grabbed a piece of Aztek gold.

No big deal, the gold is fake right? Right. But stealing is wrong. They canned her rear that following morning. My pirate friend is now in a job he was made for and loves.
            Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

FYI, the roller coasters like Space Mountain, Matterhorn, BTMRR, and Calfornia Screamin', are cross train only and you won't get it when you hire in, but later after months of experience.

Getting an attraction depends on how badly they need people and the hours they can afford.

Comment

true, screamin is not a hire in, but i got in after six months and know cast members that got it after two to three months.

Comment

When I hired in they asked me if I wanted the west side or the east side, (old cast members will know what im talking about) I told them West so i learned Jungle and then learned Pirates after awhile. When I got back from the military I went back to Jungle, Pirates and learned Thunder. Now they are land locked so you can only learn the rides in the one area. Tommrowland, Fantasyland etc etc.

Edsel
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/edsel12
                  My Cast Member pics.

Comment

Yeah, you can generally request by area now, but they'll offer you a position in one land of the park, and you won't get your attraction until the end of traditions (well... if they hire too many into a specific area, which happens a lot, you'll get Guest Interaction which places you with parades and Fan! until a spot opens up).

Comment

So just how fun would you guys rate being an Attractions CM? Any personal experiences anyone wants to share?

Comment

There are plenty of wonderful memories... read the Jungle Antics thread.

sigpic

Comment

I agree, we do have fun, but not as much fun as the JC skips do!!!

Comment

Im an attractions cast member in hollywood and all I can say is.... I LOVE MY JOB! I have never woke up and been more excited to do what I do best at "work!" Hollywod for life yo!
                            You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Comment

Word to your NOCC mother.

Seriously, it's for people with the right mindset. If that's the sort of thing you like to do, you'll LOVE it.
                              Be prepared for guest control too... but I love that too.
                              *high fives Dan*

Comment

Fantasmic! is my favorite!! GC ROCKS!! One time, we played WAR!! I can say that I worked in ALL the sections, hahaha!!

Comment

Dude, Parade GC rocks. Its like an hour and a half paid break and you get to watch the parade from like right on the route. And you get to talk to a lot of guests. I miss GC shifts...

Comment

meh, Stores CM's are the coolest. you never hear anyone say they want to be one of them though =P
                                    PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                                    Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                                    3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

There is potential to have fun at any location, you just have to have the right mindset.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IMAGINE View Post
                                        Im an attractions cast member in hollywood and all I can say is.... I LOVE MY JOB! I have never woke up and been more excited to do what I do best at "work!" Hollywod for life yo!
                                        What do you do if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X